• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hackers using unreleased on-disc Street Fighter X Tekken DLC in online play

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I haven't found anything on this and I think this deserves its own thread given recent fuckups with on-disc DLC.

Capcom have acknowledged that some players are using unreleased Street Fighter X Tekken characters in online play over Xbox Live via hacking the game.

Christian Svensson, the Senior Vice President of strategic planning and business development at Capcom, acknowledged fan reports of players using characters that aren’t yet available on the official Capcom Unity boards.

“Yes, we’re seeing news of this. Quite ballsy for folks to be taking hacked Xbox 360s on Live where they are detectable,” he said, directly addressing a user question.

“In any event, we already have opened channels of communication with Microsoft on these issues Friday night. If you can capture screens or video of this in action (as some have already) we’re working on bans for boxes and accounts with Microsoft for haxxors.”

more here

*slow clap*

There's already a glitch in UMvC3 that allows the use of costumes not purchased....so I'm just waiting for someone to find a way to access the characters without hacking.

Nilaul

Well, well done to the hackers, the content on it is theres. I would do the same.

Holly... there could be dlc on Resident Evil Revelation on cartridge and we cant find out about it.

Aaron

Perhaps I'm exposing my naïveté, but how is this even possible?
The characters are on the disc. The hackers are just going into some settings file and enabling them, then taking their modded version of the game online.

This is too rich.

Only thing Capcpom can do now is just release them as FREE DLC with a "We are sorry" note attached.
They should double their prices instead. Seeing these vids will increase demand.

Game has locked DLC on disc. Everything is there: story, characters, move lists, sound sets etc.

You paid for a 100% game yet can only use 70% of it. You will have to pay again for the rest 30%.

Hackers don't pay. They play.

This thread is going to be so bad when I wake up. Stay away SFxT fans. Stay away for your own good. D:
You know how your parents would put your favorite cookies in a high up place thinking you wouldn't reach the jar on top of the fridge? Yeah, it's sorta like that except even easier with Capcom.

- J - D -

This was practically fated to happen, and who loses in the end? The honest consumer.

Capcom is really hitting the shit list for me this year.

This is basically the same as the ME3 case, I hope it puts an end to developers doing this to their customers.

Love SFxT, will not pay for extra characters. 1$ for skins is fine, it has no effect on the game, but at least make the characters available for purchase day 1, and with an option to buy only the ones I want.

- J - D -

Difference between this and ME3 is that the ME3 extra content was at least available from day1. This SFxT character pack won't be out for fucking months, officially.

edit: Also, the Me3 content was solely for single player. This SFxT BS affects competitive play.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Thankfully I don't gotta deal with this shit on the PS3 version. *instead I get cat infintes and megaman flying away* LOL

Capcom is normally pretty good about patching out bugs and infintes though. I dont think they can fix the shitty 360 controller random input bug though. That sucks for those guys.

Kogepan

Game has locked DLC on disc. Everything is there: story, characters, move lists, sound sets etc.

You paid for a 100% game yet can only use 70% of it. You will have to pay again for the rest 30%.

Hackers don't pay. They play.

So you would be fine if publishers simply didn't put the files on the game disc and made you download the entire DLC contents?

I dont get the hate. Capcom never commited to having the DLC in the day one release, so how are you only getting 70%? I mean if they promised all this stuff but locked some of it out on release i could understand.

So you would be fine if publishers simply didn't put the files on the game disc and made you download the entire DLC contents?

I dont get the hate. Capcom never commited to having the DLC in the day one release, so how are you only getting 70%? I mean if they promised all this stuff but locked some of it out on release i could understand.

Yes don't make it that obvious. Don't put in on disc. If you are a shameful company at least do it with grace.

Metal-Geo

It's like not being allowed to access the trunk of the car you bought. :(

Lancehead

Capcom should've said prior release that they're putting DLC on disc, and accessing it through hacking is a bannable offense.

Alx

Once again, the pirates win, the legitimate players get screwed.

Legitimate players don't really lose anything, they would have waited for the additional content anyway.
Pirates do benefit from earlier access to the data, just like they benefit from free access to the game, but that's the point of being a pirate (and it shouldn't be too hard to detect people playing with unreleased data and ban them straight away). But in the end it won't change much either for Capcom or legitimate players : those who pirate wouldn't have paid for the DLC anyway, and the players will have legitimate access to the content in due time. If anything, they'll only get jealous of hackers (but they can also benefit from more opponent diversity).

mclem

This is the reason why Capcom dropped their online DRM for the PC version of SSF4. But they never learn, do they?
Strictly speaking, isn't "Leaving the files off the disc" the most basic form of DRM?

They're just *trusting* people, and people are betraying that trust! Disgraceful.

Sayah

If the extra characters were funded and budgeted initially and strictly as DLC as claimed, then I have no problem. But seeing Capcom's rich history of lying to their consumer base, I'm not sure if they can be completely trusted on that. As I mentioned in the other thread, Cody and Guy were revealed months before game release so I can't really even be sure if all these extra characters were strictly outside the normal game budget and created more specifically as DLC. Plus, they are withholding the characters for six months until the Vita release due to the Sony agreement which again indicates their motives of making money. I don't blame them. They need to make profit after all but I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it as it's pissing off a lot of people.

jorma

is now taking requests
You cant call it unreleased content when its on every single disk sold in retail. That's what i call "released content" and you should too.

Card Boy

Banned
Not sure who i should shake my head more at; Capcom for screwing over their fans, or the fans who defend locked away content and call it piracy when you try to access something you already own.

Licence my fucken arse, wheres the EULA I signed? I signed no EULA. Did anyone else sign this supposed EULA?

Cody and guy were in the launch/first trailer released or something, before they were locked away for dlc.

In this age of gaming anything left on a disc will be found by someone.

Aaron

Legitimate players don't really lose anything, they would have waited for the additional content anyway.
Pirates do benefit from earlier access to the data, just like they benefit from free access to the game, but that's the point of being a pirate (and it shouldn't be too hard to detect people playing with unreleased data and ban them straight away). But in the end it won't change much either for Capcom or legitimate players : those who pirate wouldn't have paid for the DLC anyway, and the players will have legitimate access to the content in due time. If anything, they'll only get jealous of hackers (but they can also benefit from more opponent diversity).
To summarize, it's better to pirate Capcom games than actually pay for them.

ss_lemonade

So you would be fine if publishers simply
didn't put the files on the game disc and
made you download the entire DLC
contents?
Isn't that the point of DLC? You download new content for your game?

Things weren't like this before. What happened to the days of mvsc2 or capcom vs snk where you could unlock stuff by playing the game?

Gintoki

Its funny really. There was a MMO I played that had something similar to this. Some unreleased weapons/cosmetic was being used by hackers and legitimate users were confused by it.

Also, can't they suspend anyone using unreleased characters?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Isn't that the point of DLC? You download new content for your game?

Things weren't like this before. What happened to the days of mvsc2 or capcom vs snk where you could unlock stuff by playing the game?

Those methods were deemed less profitable.

MightyKAC

The only thing about this news that's at all surprising to me is how Capcom didn't see this coming.

Oh well, maybe they'll learn next time.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Not a big deal, they just removed the l from playing.

Licence my fucken arse, wheres the EULA I signed? I signed no EULA. Did anyone else sign this supposed EULA?
Just wait till EULAs start including a ius primae noctis with your wife.

Big-E

And Capcom will learn from this but take it the wrong way. Instead of being more open with their stuff, they will lock it down even more.

Top Bottom