• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hackers using unreleased on-disc Street Fighter X Tekken DLC in online play

Legitimate players don't really lose anything, they would have waited for the additional content anyway.
Pirates do benefit from earlier access to the data, just like they benefit from free access to the game, but that's the point of being a pirate (and it shouldn't be too hard to detect people playing with unreleased data and ban them straight away). But in the end it won't change much either for Capcom or legitimate players : those who pirate wouldn't have paid for the DLC anyway, and the players will have legitimate access to the content in due time. If anything, they'll only get jealous of hackers (but they can also benefit from more opponent diversity).

Hmmm. Yeah legitimate players don't lose anything. The company does lose face to their legitimate players though.

Iff they wanted to include the heaviest files like audio, so everyone doesn't need to download them, that's fine with me. But if the characters are truly finished... truly a work of art.

Alx

To summarize, it's better to pirate Capcom games than actually pay for them.

If you don't mind being a thief and doing illegal things, it's "better" to pirate anything, since you can play for free. (Disclaimer : stealing is bad !)

vareon

So you would be fine if publishers simply didn't put the files on the game disc and made you download the entire DLC contents?

I dont get the hate. Capcom never commited to having the DLC in the day one release, so how are you only getting 70%? I mean if they promised all this stuff but locked some of it out on release i could understand.

How do you like if you bought a book for $60 and then found two extra chapters in the end of the book that can only be opened if you pay another $5?

MightyKAC

Hmmm so would this sort of thing be an account ban or a ban on the 360 itself? I guess it all depends on how the hack was made.

Aaron

If you don't mind being a thief and doing illegal things, it's "better" to pirate anything, since you can play for free. (Disclaimer : stealing is bad !)
There are plenty of circumstances where stealing takes more time and effort. Some companies have learned this and made sure to give added value to their products in various ways, or made the process of purchasing easier to the point it's better to spend money than work to get the game for free. Not in this situation though. If this is anything like the ME3 'hack' it'll take all of five minutes.

chriskun

This whole situation with on the disc dlc plus superior gem dlc has convinced me to sell this game. I can't believe their are people that defend this shit. What a fucking shitty company.

Card Boy

Banned
How do you like if you bought a book for $60 and then found two extra chapters in the end of the book that can only be opened if you pay another $5?

yep it's like buying a house and told you're not allowed access to the bungalow at the back unless you pay an extra $10000. Capcom is the greedy fucker with the keys (literally)

Using the term "hackers" pretty freely these days huh? In any case I highly doubt applying a patch to a 360 XGD2 ISO (bought or not paid for), attaches the stigma and class of "hacker" to the individual doing it when he's just following the NFO tutorial file to unlock this stuff. But I guess it's relative...

In any case this hurts no one except Capcom's credibility and long term security plans. Unless a legitimate user is jealous (I bought it and I'm not) which is a personal problem. There's not a lot of real damage here.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
We need a SFxTK fuck ups and complaining |OT| at this rate. I feel there's a new thread every few days.

yep it's like buying a house and told you're not allowed access to the bungalow at the back unless you pay an extra $10000. Capcom is the greedy fucker with the keys (literally)

And the "hackers" are like Gwildor unlocking the door himself

the best analogy

Good hopefully more people will do it and get the DLC prices to go down or release some of the payed stuff for free. Throw me a bone and give me some of those alternate outfits for free

BigDug13

So you would be fine if publishers simply didn't put the files on the game disc and made you download the entire DLC contents?

I dont get the hate. Capcom never commited to having the DLC in the day one release, so how are you only getting 70%? I mean if they promised all this stuff but locked some of it out on release i could understand.

Yes, I would be fine with this. It's the only way to prevent people from hacking it early to have an advantage in online play. It's also the only way to be sure you won't have a publicity nightmare when it's easily discovered that this content is complete and already on disc.

It's also obvious that their excuse of "the content wasn't finished yet" is false as everything needed to play with the characters is already there. Why does it take 6 months to fine tune the content that's already on disc?

It's a cash grab and they got exposed. If they never included it on the disc, they never would have gotten found out and they wouldn't have to scramble with Microsoft to patch the hacked damage that was already dealt.

If you don't want people to access it yet, don't put it on the disc. It's simple.

They could have pretended they've been working for 6 months on new characters if they didn't include it on the disc. Now they just look like shit.

mclem

Or if you bought a cable feed and then found fifty extra channels in among the viewable ones that can only be watched if you pay another $10/month?

Chev

They should at the very least encrypt it to prevent easy detection and access, as is standard in many UE3 games for example. It would remove the need for a download but still avoid the backlash, and remove the impression that if they are making no effort to protect the content it's as good as free

Noshino

If they are indeed extra, and not part of what was initially advertise at the time of sale, then yeah, I would be fine.

Were you really expecting these character to be available form the get go? iirc, they were announced as DLC quite a while ago before release.

Seeds

A stream doesn't really work as an analogy here.

Works a lot better than a house or a book...

The better analogy would be buying windows 7, and only being able to use the edition you paid for, despite everything else that's on the disc, which I'm sure no one here is going to argue against.

I.e. you don't decide what you pay for, the company does. And if you don't like that, you simply don't buy it.

It's also obvious that their excuse of "the content wasn't finished yet" is false as everything needed to play with the characters is already there. Why does it take 6 months to fine tune the content that's already on disc?

It's a cash grab and they got exposed. If they never included it on the disc, they never would have gotten found out and they wouldn't have to scramble with Microsoft to patch the hacked damage that was already dealt.

This a million.

The old "bu bu bu we only started working on the DLC post game!" defense is down on the pavement, covered in dog diarrhea now.

The content is done and ready. It was done and ready before the game shipped. Last gen it would be part of the game, this gen it got cut out and will be sold later on.

Disgusting practice.

smurfx

get some go again
capcom should just sell the DLC characters early and be done with this mess. don't know how much money sony paid them for the exclusivity but i doubt it was too much. pay them back and get behind this whole mess.

alstein

I'll say this- the local tourney I went to last week- people shunned the official version for the superior pirate version, at least for casuals.

Noshino

It is hilarious that people are okay with this.

Do you guys really want the DLC to not be put on the disc? why? sure, it cost capcom more, but it also means that you are screwing people with download caps, and increasing the download times for everyone.

The better analogy would be buying windows 7, and only being able to use the edition you paid for, despite everything else that's on the disc, which I'm sure no one here is going to argue against.

I.e. you don't decide what you pay for, the company does. And if you don't like that, you simply don't buy it.

Except people want to buy it, and complain afterwards.

The worse one are the ones that don't even pay for the games, pirate them, yet still complain about them.

Card Boy

Banned

Except for the fact that that Window 7 disc actually has an EULA before you install and the Capcom shit does not.

"You never paid for those extra chapters. You paid for -insertbookname-. You should have totally known the content about without spoiling yourself. the author was given another budget for those extra chapters that you brought home with yourself but need a key to open, but that's totally understandable considering it was ANOTHER budget"

Doin it right?

Takuya

Banned
Capcom have acknowledged that some players are using unreleased Street Fighter X Tekken characters in online play over Xbox Live via hacking the game.

Christian Svensson, the Senior Vice President of strategic planning and business development at Capcom, acknowledged fan reports of players using characters that aren’t yet available on the official Capcom Unity boards.

“Yes, we’re seeing news of this. Quite ballsy for folks to be taking hacked Xbox 360s on Live where they are detectable,” he said, directly addressing a user question.

“In any event, we already have opened channels of communication with Microsoft on these issues Friday night. If you can capture screens or video of this in action (as some have already) we’re working on bans for boxes and accounts with Microsoft for haxxors.”
So, why would they need screens, if they are detectable?

I can't believe people are defending this bullshit from Capcom. Also, those idiots calling it 'piracy' are confused as to what that term means. The right to gain access to all a disc's data on the system it's licensed to run on goes back to the days of Game Genie and modding. But let's say it did violate Capcom's user license? Who gives a flying shit? I would welcome my day in court. They poorly locked finished content on a disc to try and mascaraed it as DLC down the line. This is the worst kind of money-grab, and everyone on these forums should be outraged and unlocking the shit out of that disk right now.

MoxManiac

Even if Capcom doesn't put the DLC on the disc in future games, now no one will ever believe them when they say DLC was developed after the fact.

I think SFxT is a great game, but i'm really glad Capcom is getting such huge backlash over this; they've been getting ballsier over screwing with customers with each of their current gen fighters, culminating with this.

Takuya

Banned
Basically they are saying do our job for us, oh and while your at it fight amongst yourselves. Ignore that our DLC is already on the disc.

This isn't really the only game that has had DLC already on disk though correct? If users want to complain about content on disk that isn't accessible without additional payment, just look at the online multiplayer components for all capable games on XBOX360; you pay the same $59.99 as everyone else, but unless you pay the additional fees, you can't access the content you already 'own' on disk.

Omikaru

Fuck Capcom. Whilst pirates are assholes, I really can't hate on hackers (who may or may not have bought the game) who are just utilising all the content that's on the disc. There's no way to tell if they aren't just exercising what they feel is their right to unlock something they bought, or if they're simply filthy pirates.

But what is certain is that Capcom's actions have given those who do pirate the game the superior version, whilst paying customers who refuse to hack their 360 get the shaft.

mclem

The right to gain access to all a disc's data on the system it's licensed to run on goes back to the days of Game Genie and modding.

Actually, we discussed that in an earlier thread and I believe the vague consensus was that the Game Genie case dictated that variations *of the code as presented* were reasonable, adding the characters would constitute 'making a derivative work' which was exactly what the Galoob v. Nintendo case hinged on the Game Genie *not* doing.

It'd have to be tested in court, though.

Even if Capcom doesn't put the DLC on the disc in future games, now no one will ever believe them when they say DLC was developed after the fact.
No-one ever believes companies when they say that *anyway*

mclem

In this case I think the hackers are probably doing a good thing - highlighting how retarded on disc DLC is.

Tsk. People complain about overzealous DRM, but then just look what happens when the DRM is light! Clearly things need to be locked up much tighter, because people will just rationalilse things away otherwise.

Expect the next game's DLC to be on the disc... and require a permanent online connection.

Top Bottom