• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hackers using unreleased on-disc Street Fighter X Tekken DLC in online play

jimi_dini

If the extra characters were funded and budgeted initially and strictly as DLC as claimed, then I have no problem.

That's no argument at all.

Budgets are artificial. Next time Capcom could say: Oh well, Resident Evil 6 - well, the WHOLE game costs around 50 million. And we hmmm used 30 million out of that for the actual game and hmmm 20 million for the DLC missions. So pay, thank you.

That's just a poor excuse. Especially taking 60$ for the game and then maybe 10$ for 5 characters. There is not even a relation to those amounts. As if the 5 characters was 1/6 of the actual game development.

Undead Nightmare for example is one of the only DLCs that I totally accept, especially because it was also released on an additional disc as well. Or DLC a la Portal 2. But 95% of the time it's just a quick cash grab. I got no problems with a game that features SO much content to stay on 30pounds or something and then paying for that.

This isn't really the only game that has had DLC already on disk though correct? If users want to complain about content on disk that isn't accessible without additional payment, just look at the online multiplayer components for all capable games on XBOX360; you pay the same $59.99 as everyone else, but unless you pay the additional fees, you can't access the content you already 'own' on disk.

Yah i think that Capcom takes a harder hit just because people actually want all the DLC and also because this deals with a fighting game. The DLC affects gameplay as its additional characters. On a game by game basis this is probably the worst its been though. SFxT comes off as a rush job in everything but gameplay. They didn't even include alternate colors. Alot of the DLC is also stuff that people have gotten use to being unlockables in games that you earn and not pay for.

Actually, we discussed that in an earlier thread and I believe the vague consensus was that the Game Genie case dictated that variations *of the code as presented* were reasonable, adding the characters would constitute 'making a derivative work' which was exactly what the Galoob v. Nintendo case hinged on the Game Genie *not* doing.

It'd have to be tested in court, though.

No-one ever believes companies when they say that *anyway*

I do believe it when it's along the lines of Undead nightmare, for example.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
So you would be fine if publishers simply didn't put the files on the game disc and made you download the entire DLC contents?

I dont get the hate. Capcom never commited to having the DLC in the day one release, so how are you only getting 70%? I mean if they promised all this stuff but locked some of it out on release i could understand.

they did advertise the game with some of the locked characters.

What bothers me is that these characters are playable online at all. Capcom *swore* that there would be no Super/Ultimate version of SFxTekken.

Onodontbelievehislies.jpg

Angry Fork

Has no company been sued yet over this DLC on disc thing? How can this be allowed? Are there no laws that have been made in favor of consumers here?

Irish

Alright, let's say that Capcom releases a game where there are 35 fighters in total. A week or two after the game has released, Capcom locks 10 of the characters because they were actually meant to be DLC. None of these 10 characters were ever featured in the pre-release media, so nobody knew of their existence before the game was actually in the hands of consumers.

Is this okay? I mean, you are only buying a license to play what Capcom allows you to play, right?

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
What bothers me is that these characters are playable online at all. Capcom *swore* that there would be no Super/Ultimate version of SFxTekken.

Onodontbelievehislies.jpg

I think you got it the other way around: those characters are already available on the disc - and planned to be sold later this year - therefore voiding the need for a re-release as Super Ultimate EX Whatever, you'd just need to pay to activate them.

I'm not saying this is the best business practice around, I'm just clarifying that the current scenario does not entail a second release with the extra characters.

alstein

All I can say is if you hate this practice- buy games that don't have this- such as Arcana, VF, Tekken.

None of those games had on-disc locked chars. Also helps those are very good games if you can get past the aesthetics.

We tolerated this a little with SCIV-V and KOF (though in KOF's defense the game was $10 cheaper so that absorbed much of the DLC cost, all but $3)

Games like BB and Skullgirls have DLC that was true post-launch work, so that falls into the expansion category for me in regards to characters, which is fine.

Would you guys have been OK with having everything unlocked, but having the game sell for $80?

Haunted

Gamers think they are purchasing a good (what I buy belongs to me), publishers think they're selling a service (I can tell them what they can and can't use).

cue clusterfuck

Haunted

Yeah, it's a smashing victory to get your account / console banned from XBL because you wanted to play as Kuma dressed as Rainbow Mika. I'm so jealous.
What about those who don't care about online and use their 12 additional characters in all other modes?

It's a fact that legitimate customers have a worse version of the game.

im-okay-with-this.png

This is exactly what I felt.

Doomshine

What about those who don't care about online and use their 12 additional characters in all other modes?

...and if you think competitive players aren't playing these characters right now you are crazy.

GooeyHeat

Is there an End User License Agreement that says that I can't use these characters that are on the disc I bought? No? Okay, then I will use these characters that are on the disc I bought.

(And by "I", I mean the people who have done this. I didn't buy Street Fighter X Tekken. Besides the horrible business practices, it's also full of infinite combos and glitches. Not worth it, to me.)

obonicus

With this and the mass effect thing, I'd kind of like to get a ruling from an admin on whether this sort of thing has the same restrictions as piracy discussions.

mclem

Is there an End User License Agreement that says that I can't use these characters that are on the disc I bought? No? Okay, then I will use these characters that are on the disc I bought.

(And by "I", I mean the people who have done this. I didn't buy Street Fighter X Tekken. Besides the horrible business practices, it's also full of infinite combos and glitches. Not worth it, to me.)

And that just gives them further ammunition in the arguments that people can't be trusted to behave responsibly if there's no DRM.

mclem

With this and the mass effect thing, I'd kind of like to get a ruling from an admin on whether this sort of thing has the same restrictions as piracy discussions.
I do actually think that this isn't strictly *piracy*, but it is a breach of the DMCA. Whether all breaches of the DMCA fall under the 'piracy' bracket on GAF is a matter for debate.

Dizzy-4U

I hope they get caught and banned from xbox life.

ITT: People condone theft. smh....

The thing is though that many of them are using a jtagged console, and apparently they can unban themselves if they replace the nand or something like that. They need an unbanned console's nand to do it, but still...

Honestly, I don't care. I just hope that this forces Capcpom to release the characters sooner, I'd pay the $20 dollars right now if they were available.

Does it matter? They still get the characters. Real fighting game fans don't bother with the online anyway. At least that is what most people say in this thread. Online gaming and story modes are for wussies and scrubs.

^_^

Really?

Fighting game community is high on it's own brand if they won't admit online play is what made the genre relevant again in the West. Not every player that buys a fighting game is going to bother traveling to EVO or other tournaments. Sorry game nerds, some people are adults with day jobs that can't afford to live your dream as a "pro-gamer".

Completely right about story modes though.

Go read a book morans! :D

Speaking of morans, good to see Crapcom getting pwned by the 360 players.

Haunted

...and if you think competitive players aren't playing these characters right now you are crazy.
Sure yeah.

I'm not implying people with hacked boxes haven't bought the game legitimately as well.

I consider making modifications to games I bought valid (like installing mods or removing DRM etc), even if it's technically against something in the ToS/EULA so I'm not on the side of the publisher here.

Those sneaky hackers getting the data in progress from Capcom servers, completing the characters themselves early and injecting them to the discs.

DAMNNNN YOUU HACKERSS!!!
mad.gif
DAMN YOUU!!!!!!!!!!!!

LowParry

Does it matter? They still get the characters. Real fighting game fans don't bother with the online anyway. At least that is what most people say in this thread. Online gaming and story modes are for wussies and scrubs.

^_^

There's so much wrong with this post. lol

Anywho, this all seemed like this was bound to happen. Capcom might as well just pony up the characters. Unless Sony has paid them a fortune to keep them off consoles and have them out on the Vita first. Who knows.

Has no company been sued yet over this DLC on disc thing? How can this be allowed? Are there no laws that have been made in favor of consumers here?

No consumer laws have been broken. It's just a disgusting business practice.

Those sneaky hackers getting the data in progress from Capcom servers, completing the characters themselves early and injecting them to the discs.

DAMNNNN YOUU HACKERSS!!!
mad.gif
DAMN YOUU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heh.

BHZ Mayor

What's ballsy is putting the characters on disk and NOT expecting anyone to get to them. Seriously? How could not see this coming miles away?

web01

I say good on the hackers for making an even bigger embarrassment of crapcom.
I am against people hacking their consoles to have online cheats like unlimited health but unlocking something already on the disc i support.

drkOne

It's like not being allowed to access the trunk of the car you bought. :(

Oh my god, this discussion has really turned dumb.
Maybe you could make that analogy if you had bought a car with no trunk, and then realized it had a trunk, but you'd have to pay extra to use it.
Even then it still feels dumb because the trunk exists physically and the DLC doesn't, so it's not bothering one bit the people that end up not paying.

Aaron

Yeah, it's a smashing victory to get your account / console banned from XBL because you wanted to play as Kuma dressed as Rainbow Mika. I'm so jealous.
With broken netcode, is this really much of a punishment? Maybe Capcom will release finished online as DLC too.

Really?

Fighting game community is high on it's own brand if they won't admit online play is what made the genre relevant again in the West. Not every player that buys a fighting game is going to bother traveling to EVO or other tournaments. Sorry game nerds, some people are adults with day jobs that can't afford to live your dream as a "pro-gamer".

There's so much wrong with this post. lol
Clearly sarcasm

I certainly don't see why they should be bothered by banned accounts though. They couldn't seriously expect to use these characters for every long without suffering some consequences.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Good. This way, we can find out just how many more characters have infinites! Capcom should be happy. They actually have some beta testers now!

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun

I was just pointing out that this so-called "advantage" - at the cost of getting one's console banned from XBL - isn't worth the hassle. I don't like Capcom's approach either.

Actually this is better than pirating a game. Pirating a game usually means honest users can also play it but have to pay for it.

Pirating unreleased DLC content is some meta pirating shit.

Honest users cannot play it now even if they want to pay for it!!! And won't be able for like 6 months!

Unbelievable. Capcom's biggest blunder ever?

Alright, let's say that Capcom releases a game where there are 35 fighters in total. A week or two after the game has released, Capcom locks 10 of the characters because they were actually meant to be DLC. None of these 10 characters were ever featured in the pre-release media, so nobody knew of their existence before the game was actually in the hands of consumers.

Is this okay? I mean, you are only buying a license to play what Capcom allows you to play, right?

pretty sure the EULA covers that, i mean, have you read an EULA?

Really?

There was online play in fighting games well before 2009.

It was the quality of SFIV that brought fighting games back.

Top Bottom