• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hackers using unreleased on-disc Street Fighter X Tekken DLC in online play

mclem

Fooling customers is not an acceptable answer either. This is not DLC, they were caught with their pants down and the fact that completed characters are on the disc is totally eradicating the whole "separately developed, not created in time for disc certification" argument. Yes, they could have done it the way you are describing and yes, it would have probably cut down on arguments and fooled many people. That doesn't make it any less wrong though.

Ah, you're one of the "entitled to everything developed at the moment of release" brigade, it's 'wrong' not to allow that?

test_account

XP-39C²
People, stop with these repeating defense arguments. You're skipping a whole point of argument.

Fooling customers is not an acceptable answer either. This is not DLC, they were caught with their pants down and the fact that completed characters are on the disc is totally eradicating the whole "separately developed, not created in time for disc certification" argument. Yes, they could have done it the way you are describing and yes, it would have probably cut down on arguments and fooled many people. That doesn't make it any less wrong though.

I'm just not getting how accepting people are of these dirty unethical practices to the point where they are coming up with ways that Capcom could have fooled them that would have been more acceptable?! That's not the point, at least it shouldn't be the point.

*farnsworthidontwanttoliveonthisplanetanymore.gif*
I was just curious if you would have a different opinion on this matter if Capcom did release the extra characters through a patch, not trying to skip any arguement :)

If the customers were fooled, does this mean that Capcom adverticed these extra characters to be included for free when you bought the game? Or did Capcom sell what they adverticed? Honest question.

DLC is about capitalizing. Selling extra content and hoping people want that. If this is sold at day 1 or day 100 doesnt really matter much in my opinion since DLC is still about the same, capitalizing. If people want it, then they buy it. If people dont want it, then they dont buy it. I dont see what is unethical about this, especially when we talk about a luxury entertainment product like video games. Unless i'm misunderstanding what you mean about being unethical.

LegatoB

I did in the case of Blazblue, but that's because they also did a balance patch with the DLC.
In BlazBlue's case, the content was also actually new and not entirely on the disc. As I recall, Makoto had data files on the CS disc, but she was far, far less finished than these SFxT characters, or the Marvel DLC. Like, lots of moves missing/dealing 0 damage incomplete. Valkenhayn and Platinum weren't on the disc at all, though their theme songs were due to lead times. That's a lot better than Capcom or SNK's tactics.

SmokeMaxX

1) I like saving my games to my harddrive so I don't run my 360 drive every time I put my disc in. I have a 20gb harddrive with my 360. So fuck you guys who want me to download another 1-2 gigs of DLC (wasting my time and space) just because you're butthurt about the DLC being on the disc itself. I'm not spending $100 on an overpriced 360 harddrive just because you don't want to spend $20 on great priced characters.

2) You know that company that's trying to take all your money and nickle and dime you? Yeah, what makes you possibly think that that company was going to give you FIFTY characters at the start if they weren't going to charge you for them right off the bat? Hell even 38 characters (which is what SFxT starts with) is more than Marvel Vs. Capcom 3- which is a series known for having a ton of characters playable. MvC3 had 36 characters playable + 2 for $5 each or so and then another like 10 or something for $40.
Use your common sense. A cheap company goes out of its way to give you 12 extra characters? I can't believe people think that. It's obvious that they were planned as DLC from the start.

test_account

XP-39C²
I did in the case of Blazblue, but that's because they also did a balance patch with the DLC.
Balance patches might come for Street Fighter VS Tekken as well, who knows.

In BlazBlue's case, the content was also actually new and not entirely on the disc. As I recall, Makoto had data files on the CS disc, but she was far, far less finished than these SFxT characters, or the Marvel DLC. Like, lots of moves missing/dealing 0 damage incomplete. Valkenhayn and Platinum weren't on the disc at all, though their theme songs were due to lead times. That's a lot better than Capcom or SNK's tactics.
The characters would have to be developed regardless though, so it doesnt matter much when they are created in that sense. If Capcom sold these extra character in two months and released them through a update patch, then people would have thought that these characters were new.

Fuck Capcom. Whilst pirates are assholes, I really can't hate on hackers (who may or may not have bought the game) who are just utilising all the content that's on the disc. There's no way to tell if they aren't just exercising what they feel is their right to unlock something they bought, or if they're simply filthy pirates.

But what is certain is that Capcom's actions have given those who do pirate the game the superior version, whilst paying customers who refuse to hack their 360 get the shaft.

The best part is that maybe those people don't even have objections to paying for the DLC, but if they want to play the full game that they paid for, the only way to achieve that is through hacks. (at least for several months)

i hate this whole DLC thing this gen ;_;

almost nobody does it right.

We as consumers just have to buy DLC right. Never buy unlock codes (unless if it's something they patched in via a huge update to ensure multiplayer compatibility), and only buy DLC when it's 10 cents on steam.

This is hilarious since people were claiming these characters weren't in a playable state. It seems obvious these characters are complete as hell.

Ponn

Banned
I'm reading them, but I haven't noticed a valid refutation. Maybe I missed it.

If you already know my stance and read all my posts then why bother asking me to repeat myself. I already developed my stance earlier, i'm sorry that you feel entitled to it now.

alstein

Yeah, I'm fine with that.

I have 0 loyalty towards Capcom, they've used up all of that this gen. Only reason I bought this was because I saw it got rid of SF4's problems. Other fighters have to a lot more convincing for me not to buy.

If KOF had more active online I wouldn't have even bought this. That said, a big reason why I can say no to Capcom (and did for UMVC3/3S) is because other companies have stepped up.

I'm not spending $100 on an overpriced 360 harddrive just because you don't want to spend $20 on great priced characters.

So you're saying you don't like overpriced add-ons...

I know that's being ridiculous, so I hope you don't take offense. I don't feel entitled to anything more than I pay for initially. I know that Capcom seems to like doing what they're doing lately, and that's the reason I didn't purchase SFxT. I also don't like paying $60 as an early adopter (or $70 for the MvC3 Limited Edition) only to see a new IMPROVED! version out less than a year later with more characters, DLC and is incompatible with the version I purchased for $20 less. It's not just about this round of DLC for this game. It's a history of shady stuff like this and this is the last straw for a lot of people.

So yes, I dislike the practice. Do I dislike it enough to hack a disc - no. But I hate it just enough to not buy the product. It's disingenuous. Did they advertise it? No. But if it's on the up and up, why not say "We developed this content in tandem with the core product with the intention of selling you an $80 game instead of the $60 game you thought was complete. Don't have an internet connection? Well, you're just out of luck." Because the truth is not good marketing.

It's why I think DLC like this is fundamentally done wrong. Missions, expansions, new experiences? Sure. Bad Company Vietnam - no qualms. Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare - no qualms. GTA4 - Ballad of Gay Tony - no qualms. 12 DLC characters for $20 that's already on my disc? Not much value for my dollar in comparison. They can charge $1,000,000 for if they want and they are well within their rights, but it's fucking stupid.

The way it should be done is offer a complete pack. Allow the skilled players to perform at a certain level to unlock certain characters ala Akuma, etc. If you want to have the characters without the work, buy the complete pack. They're both on disc and the customer doesn't feel gouged. Talk about game longevity... this is how things like that were accomplished. Give them a reason to keep playing and improving beyond flexing their wallet. It's called fan service and customer goodwill. And no they don't have to, but then you get threads like this and arguments like this.

Games didn't need this type of stuff happening in the past to superficially create longevity or profit. Good games stood out and bad games were forgotten (or remembered ironically).

Ferrio

Banned
What have they interfered with? I haven't followed the game much.

Moneyhats to have exclusive characters on the vita/PS3.

I'm almost certain that sony's involvement changed their original DLC plans. Hence why at first it looked like guy/cody were going to be release characters. I'm guessing they were going to be, then sony stepped in with the Vita nonsense. Hell I think we were even officially told that megaman/pacman were going to be on xbox originally too. (though I guess they still are)

Zoe

I'm almost certain that sony's involvement changed their original DLC plans. Hence why at first it looked like guy/cody were going to be release characters. I'm guessing they were going to be, then sony stepped in with the Vita nonsense. Hell I think we were even officially told that megaman/pacman were going to be on xbox originally too. (though I guess they still are)

But aren't exclusive/timed-exclusive characters becoming the norm for these kinds of games? Who's to say Capcom weren't the ones to approach them?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Only thing Capcpom can do now is just release them as FREE DLC with a "We are sorry" note attached.

Hahahaohwow.jpg at implying that Capcom will do that.

They'll do the MW2 thing and ban "hackers" and "pirates" off Live which can EASILY get gotten around and nothing will be done for the legit people.

Yeah they did, they're on the disk.

Siren.gif
TRUTH SIREN

test_account

XP-39C²
6 Month exclusive on 12 characters is pretty outside the norm.
The 12 characters arent exclusive. The only things that has been announced as exclusive as Pacman, Mega Man, Cole from Infamous and the Playstation cats. The two latter make sense since they are exclusive Playstation characters. And since Pacman and Mega Man apparently is on the Xbox 360 disc as well, this most likely indicates that those two characters are timed exclusive.

Have there been any words on 6 months exclusive? I havnt heard anything about this.

CamHostage

Isn't that the point of DLC? You download new content for your game?

Think of your purchase as a contract: you have agreed when you purchased the game that you will be getting X number of characters and modes. If there is further content on the disc, whether it's accessible to you for free or for a price does not enter into it when you make the purchase.

On a gut level, paying for stuff that's on the disc feels like a rip (and I'm not sure if the companies are doing any stat adjustment or changes to ramp up into that "DLC" release, which would help rationalize it for some people.) On a pure consumer product level though, you're not getting ripped off because you knew what you were paying for and the developers targeted the budget and post-launch pricing at that target.

You can complain about DLC pricing or about content parceling in order to keep post-launch costs on the sly, but this idea that you own content just because it's on the disc doesn't ring true. You don't have to like it, but there's no reason to claim entitlement.

I have plenty of PSN game demos, for instance, that are fully downloaded on my machine and only 100KB and $10 separates me from the complete content. Because I have all the content downloaded onto my machine, do I "own" that game and is it unfair that they're charging me money to unlock content I already have right here in my home? If that's fair, what's the difference if I got that content via a download or a disc I bought at a store?

The hacks also appear to allow the PlayStation exclusive Mega Man and Pac Man to be used on 360, though InFamous’ Cole and the Sony Cats, also exclusive to PS3, are not on the 360 disc. Make of that what you will.

You know the ball has been dropped when hackers are getting more content out of the game than even those that buy all of the DLC.

Holy fuck.

Even if you pay $80 for this game you will still have less of a game than pirates.

Is this first in gaming history? I mean hacked cross-console content?

Capcom is so shamed now.

sleepykyo

What have they interfered with? I haven't followed the game much.
The thinking is Capcom would have had all 12 available on day one if it not for a huge moneyhat to make the Vita have the characters first.

I find it hard to believe‚ given that Sony is currently an insurance company bleeding money like a hemophiliac (sp) and that it is more likely that Capcom planned the 12 for the super expansion/ultimate Capcom always has with its FGs and already had a date set. Then Sony gave a small money hat for the Vita for early access .

SmokeMaxX

6 Month exclusive on 12 characters is pretty outside the norm.

Is it? Or would you rather pay $40 for less characters in 6 months (UMvC3)? It's not a console exclusive, but it's a similar practice.

For those that are complaining about this and acting like it's some new evil,
1) Capcom's always done this. SF2 -> Super SF2 -> Hyper SF2 -> Championship Edition SF2 -> Super Turbo (I don't remember the exact order, but there were like 12 versions of SF2). You got like 2 new characters in each iteration and they were all at new game prices.

2) Things change. Of course there was no DLC in the days before the internet. If you can't keep up, then don't buy it. Capcom does what it has to do to survive. Don't like it, don't buy it. You'll either put Capcom out of business or they'll stop doing it.

Sayah

CAPCOM is such a piece of shit company. LMAO @ people who buy their games.

I still got my hundreds of hours of enjoyment out of MvC3 and the same will be happening with SFXTK, thank you very much.

I do not support Capcom's DLC practices whatsoever but that does not mean I have to stop myself from enjoying games that I know I will enjoy. There is also no denying that despite all these DLC shenanigans, SFXTK is brimming with content regardless and will provide entertainment to people looking for it.

Capcom is definitely love/hate for me.

jdub03

Gamers think they are purchasing a good (what I buy belongs to me), publishers think they're selling a service (I can tell them what they can and can't use).

cue clusterfuck

It all boils down to this. Publishers and consumers aren't on the same page. Even if they were publishers are allowed to do with their product whatever they want (if it's within the limits of the law). Vote with your dollars. Many of you complain about the " evil " practice but still went out and purchased said dlc. Shame on you.

Think of your purchase as a contract: you have agreed when you purchased the game that you will be getting X number of characters and modes. If there is further content on the disc, whether it's accessible to you for free or for a price does not enter into it when you make the purchase.

On a gut level, paying for stuff that's on the disc feels like a rip (and I'm not sure if the companies are doing any stat adjustment or changes to ramp up into that "DLC" release, which would help rationalize it for some people.) On a pure consumer product level though, you're not getting ripped off because you knew what you were paying for and the developers targeted the budget and post-launch pricing at that target.

You can complain about DLC pricing or about content parceling in order to keep post-launch costs on the sly, but this idea that you own content just because it's on the disc doesn't ring true.

Another good quote that sums up the situation perfectly. Whether or not you agree that this should be the case is null and void. This IS the case. Want to change it. Change it with your dollars.

Imm0rt4l

I don't see how guy and cody have anything to do with sony. Sony got the cats, cole, and timed exclusive megman and pacman.

Ferrio

Banned
I don't see how guy and cody have anything to do with sony. Sony got the cats, cole, and timed exclusive megman and pacman.

Timed exclusive for the vita release. Characters come out first on vita, gives people more incentive to buy a vita to get first crack at them.

Wolfe

Also, on the issue of trust -- didn't you just say that video game companies aren't your friend? Trust shouldn't enter into it; your interaction with them should be limited to a business transaction. The transaction will consist of you buying what they're selling. You of course have the choice of not buying what they're selling.

This is bull, sure it's a business transaction but that doesn't mean trust gets thrown out the window.

Look at PayPal, lots of shit popping up online about their crappy business practices and shitty customer service. Me personally though, no issues with them at all, all of my transactions with them have been great and I've never had an instance where I needed to contact them about something. But I recently closed my account, why, because they've lost my trust with those same shitty business practices. They didn't impact me at all yet they still had a profound effect on my dealings with them.

Just because someone isn't my friend doesn't mean I can't build a relationship based on trust with them.

Trust is not necessary for a business transaction, but it can definitely play a part.

horsebird

Banned
It's straight from capcom. They're waiting until after the SFxT vita release, which is in the fall.
Console versions will probably be unlockable a month from the Vita version's release. I can see Sony/Capcom doing some sort of promotion where console owners get early access + discount to DLC with the purchase of the Vita version. There's just no way they hold onto the characters for 6 months after the Vita release, especially not after all that's been exposed so far.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I already bought it but after how they plan to 'support' it this will be my last Capcom game.
UMvC3 releasing less than a year after MvC3 was pretty lame too.

No more Capcom for me.
Until CvS3 or SFV

Ferrio

Banned
Console versions will probably be unlockable a month from the Vita version's release. I can see Sony/Capcom doing some sort of promotion where console owners get early access + discount to DLC with the purchase of the Vita version. There's just no way they hold onto the characters for 6 months after the Vita release, especially not after all that's been exposed so far.

Okay worded wrong, I meant atleast 6 months until the release. Which is being held off because of the vita + any time after that vita's release.

jorgeton

Capcpom is getting what Capcpom deserves in this situation. on disc DLC is a scummy practice that needs to stop.

Agreed. Remember the days when you unlocked bonus characters by being good at the game and completing different modes? That gave me an incentive to play. Now, all that is gone and you have to shell out more money to play what is already on the disc you bought.

Fuck you Capcpom.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They still make some of the best games available, I feel sorry for people who *don't* buy their games honestly >.>.

How's that Socom: Operation Turd City working out for you, Capcom?

Top Bottom