• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

IHaveIce

Banned
I just want a Halo game where MC is reunited with the other Spartan 2s and they form a squad..

Showing these S4 scrubs how real Spartans do their work
#fuckpalmer
#S2masterrace

I'd like to see a cross between Halo and Star Wars.

Halo + Star Wars
Halo + Star Wars
Halo + Wars
Halo Wars.
Where's my burst weapon start.
Also, is the AR you envision actually useful weapon or should i just pick up shotgun or plasma rifle+melee?
EDIT the irony here is that i used to hate BR and preferred single-shot weapons to it. Then i started liking the BR and hate single-shot weapons.
Every single weapon should be useful, either through direct use (CE AR had 64 bullets but emptied a clip faster than later AR's with 32 bullets. It had a shit ton of spread, but UP CLOSE it was a fucking. animal. It obliterated the Pistol as you can see many times in this video.) or by a unique trait that it has (Plasma Rifle stun, that little glitch where an AR could activate Camo faster, etc.). Why? Because why have a weapon in your sandbox that is outclassed in a specific situation it should excel at? People requesting stopping power being added to Sword users blew my mind..
Make the bust/single fire gun a new weapon (Xiphos), but disable the ability to carry a second gun. Use the weapon swap button to toggle between burst and single fire.
I'd rather something contextually like Hold Y to activate alternate fire mode. Either way, I'd love to see something like that in Halo but just where it makes sense. Don't go adding Grenade Launchers to the AR.. Just give me the GL! ;]
I just want a Halo game where MC is reunited with the other Spartan 2s and they form a squad..

Showing these S4 scrubs how real Spartans do their work
#fuckpalmer
#S2masterrace

SII's mannnnnnn. I was hoping to see the downfall of SII's with Reach, but blah blah "but it was a book already" blah blah excuses. I don't shootbang with a book got damnit..

TheOddOne

Halo + Isaac Hannaford returning = Ultimate Dream.

ih_astonuts01c.jpg

ih_hiding+soldier01.jpg

ih_factory+south+enterance01.jpg

ih_forerunner+wall01b.jpg

ih_odst+trade01.jpg

ih_ODST_01.jpg

ih_manual+05.jpg

ih_strato+sentinel02.jpg

Havoc2049

^^^^Love the pic of the ODST^^^^

I want a jungle multiplayer arena map in Halo 5, like the jungle valley on 343 Guilty Spark in Halo CE. We never really had a multiplayer jungle map like it, have we? The closest thing I can think of is Guardian in Halo 3.

maxresdefault.jpg

Fuchsdh

I want a jungle multiplayer arena map in Halo 5, like the jungle valley on 343 Guilty Spark in Halo CE. We never really had a multiplayer jungle map like it, have we? The closest thing I can think of is Guardian in Halo 3.

maxresdefault.jpg

We had Backwash, but aside from never being played on account of being removed from Matchmaking I wouldn't say it had a really strong aesthetic.

I really like parts of Abandon and that hazy feel, as well. But you're right--more jungles would be great.

maxresdefault.jpg

Backwash (lol)

Woorloog

Banned
Every single weapon should be useful, either through direct use (CE AR had 64 bullets but emptied a clip faster than later AR's with 32 bullets. It had a shit ton of spread, but UP CLOSE it was a fucking. animal. It obliterated the Pistol as you can see many times in this video.) or by a unique trait that it has (Plasma Rifle stun, that little glitch where an AR could activate Camo faster, etc.). Why? Because why have a weapon in your sandbox that is outclassed in a specific situation it should excel at? People requesting stopping power being added to Sword users blew my mind..
I want a useful useful AR (in multiplayer, in single player, especially in Halo CE, the AR works just fine). Not something that is outclassed by shotgun/sword/whatever for for close range work 99% of time, outclassed by similar weapons at similar ranges due to unique functions (Plasma Rifle stun in Halo CE, plasma dealing bonus damage vs shield in later Halos combined with melee), outclassed by semi-automatics at range (in Halo 3 and Reach, BR/Carbine/DMR could beat AR at even close range easily, provided you weren't screwed by lag or bloom).
Basically i want an automatic utility weapon. As a serious option.

My main issue with the concept of utility weapons is that i get bored if i have to use one or two weapons all the time, not counting power or special* weapons and the leftovers are usually not worth using. Most dual-wieldable weapons or sidearms are not really good enough or are way too specialized without actually being special/power weapons, not if my options are them, utility weapons or power/special weapons.
This is why i like Halo 4's sandbox, there's a lot of options. Or would like if they were better balanced, more diverse in function and the automatics were actually utility weapons.
Just make automatic utility weapon difficult to use effectively but good (easier said than done of course. Perhaps something akin to ODST SMG, most effective if fired in rapid short bursts, with full auto being useful at close range?).

*I define special weapon as something that isn't (quite) a power weapon but neither is it trash (SMG/Spiker/Plasma Repeater/Suppressor, pistols Halo CE aside) nor an utility weapon. The Plasma Pistol with its EMP, the Grenade Launcher, perhaps the Brute Shot/Concussion Rifle, Needler and Sticky Detonator too.

------

And honestly, Halos need better weapons in single player, or more ammo for them. Or more interesting weapons.
In Halo 2, i stick with the goddamn Carbine all the time, when i don't have a power weapon. It is good and it is common but it does get boring. Alternatives either lack ammo or are not available (BR) are mostly shit, lacking either punch or range (why bother with SMGs when the Carbine deals with enemies faster from range?). There are things like the Brute Shot but it is rare and has very limited ammo.
In Halo 3, the BR is more common now but the Carbine is good if the BR is not available, and one of them is almost always available. Also power weapons are more common so... Half the sandbox is unused due to being mostly worthless.
Reach... noob combo or power weapons. The AI is too strong for anything else. Hell, the DMR/Nerfle alone suck in that game's campaign.
In Halo 4 i use either power weapons or the Lightrifle (plentiful ammo, superb weapon for marksmanship).
Oddly, i think i use the most varied arsenal in Halo CE, but i don't like it really. For most encounters, i've noticed that most weapons are practically interchangeable, but all are... uninspired... (three automatics, 4 if you count rapid firing the Plasma Pistol, 5 if you count the Magnum due to its ability fire automatically..., and the boring old trio of Shotgun, Rocket Launcher and Sniper we've seen in most shooters).

I think older shooters tend to have more interesting, varied and useful arsenals.
But i guess the ability to carry all of them too helps with this, it makes balancing easier, since everyone has everything, no?
I cannot, however, take carrying all the things seriously in a game that isn't something like Unreal Tournament. Hell, it is in the damn name, unreal. I wouldn't like a serious game having ability to carry everything. Unless, of course, everything is in a single multi-function weapon sometimes postulated in scifi (the best example of these i've read about is the varigun in The Risen Empore by Scott Westerfeld, the weapon contained explosives, rapid fire mode and others). Of course, this makes the whole idea of picking up weapons utterly pointless, so the "scavenging weapons" element vanishes.
I guess a class-based shooter can get around this issue easily enough while being realistic, instead of everyone having everything, both/all teams have everything.

EDIT for fucks sake. I digress way too easily when i'm tired. My original post was a quarter of this one's length.

Forgot about Backwash. That was a cool map.

Yup. Beautiful, i liked its feel a lot. Never got to play it in Live MP though, didn't play Halo 2 on Live with the original Xbox, only with 360. Wasn't a particularly good map for 3-4 player FFA.

How'd you feel if the Mantis was only in first person view?

fear-2-project-origin-20081218044341865-000.jpg

titanfall_5.jpg

Maybe have two types of Mechs where one is in third person view like the Mantis and the other is first person for Heavy Assault Cyclops Mk II - III

Booshka

Cool thing about First Person Mechs is that you can constrain the FoV even more so that the game can handle all the crazy shit happening on screen. Then when ppl complain about the cramped FoV, you can explain it away with lore reasons.

Just make the BR have a single-shot mode in the next game (I guess campaign only for balance reasons) and please everyone!
On board with this.
As for balancing maybe make single shot rate of fire faster.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the mantis, would not care if it never returned.

Vico

Mantis is good for Spartan Ops and Firefight (as well as it being another tool for machinimaker and gametype creators). Loved the SpOps level on Ragnarok with the mantises.

Not sure about it being in the campaign, though.

Vico

It ain't fun even in the campaign.
But then neither is the Scorpion, OP vehicle isn't fun to drive around. Th Wraith is more interesting and limited so it is okay, and other vehicles are nimbler, faster and less powerful so they're fun.

The Ark says hi.

Woorloog

Banned
The Ark says hi.

The Scorpion ain't fun there either. I usually stick with the Gauss Hog (especially if playing with a friend), or hijack a Wraith or Chopper. Or go on foot.

Just about the only section where i do find the Scorpion okay is that Halo 2 bridge section, was it Metropolis beginning? Anyway, even then the section is more interesting with the Warthog.

Apparently ntkrnl was right about the sunset overdrive story. The greatest online Halo game is finally being brought back from the dead!!

Fuchsdh

The Scorpion ain't fun there either. I usually stick with the Gauss Hog (especially if playing with a friend), or hijack a Wraith or Chopper. Or go on foot.

Just about the only section where i do find the Scorpion okay is that Halo 2 bridge section, was it Metropolis beginning? Anyway, even then the section is more interesting with the Warthog.

You're in the minority I suspect. Only tank sequence I detest is "The Package" because you're stuck in a slow moving vehicle with little maneuvering room versus a half-dozen Fuel Rod turrets that actually home in on you.

You're in the minority I suspect. Only tank sequence I detest is "The Package" because you're stuck in a slow moving vehicle with little maneuvering room versus a half-dozen Fuel Rod turrets that actually home in on you.
I have to agree with this. Felt sorta like a chore going to point A and point B then get bombarded. 343 sorta attempted the same mission in Halo 4 where you're suppose to get into Infinity by passing through Covenant with Wraiths and mainly grunts equipped with Fuel Rod cannons posted on the grav lifts.

Bring back the Brute Choppa!

In a rare double-whammy leak misdirection, much like the Halo reveal last year was originally thought to be a Prince of Persia leak, the Halo franchise on Steam was actually referring to the Prince of Persia getting a Steam release.

#WahrerCollection

Woorloog

Banned

If the tank were more interesting vehicle... it is slow so it can't dodge things, yet it it isn't actually strong enough to withstand punishment (especially on Legendary). Its high damage with unlimited ammunition makes it really boring, there is no challenge. It is really simple "You win a battle or you die" vehicle, for the tank there are no fights where you deal a little damage but have to retreat or fights where you can avoid damage with good driving.
Shitty tank sections do not help, especially in the later games.
Perhaps if it were harder to use it (without gimping its controls of course) might be interesting. Of course, it should not be harder the way the Halo CE Scorpion was, with ridiculously random accuracy. Interesting might be to have much stronger ballistic arc to the main gun, making aiming more difficult, while boosting its movement enough for it be somewhat agile, and then designing good maps, not really tight canyons and the like most Halo tank sections are. Or perhaps limited ammunition supply (that regenerates slowly).

Every tank mission in Halo was meh for me. You pretty much have to use it on Legendary, but I'd rather pick any other way to engage enemies. Fortunately, that's always been one of Bungie's strong suits. Halo 4 didn't hold my interest long enough to try different scenarios, but based on the level of quality that I experienced from the campaign enemies, I'd imagine picking another option would be more self-flagellation (which I ain't into).

Fuchsdh

Every tank mission in Halo was meh for me. You pretty much have to use it on Legendary, but I'd rather pick any other way to engage enemies. Fortunately, that's always been one of Bungie's strong suits. Halo 4 didn't hold my interest long enough to try different scenarios, but based on the level of quality that I experienced from the campaign enemies, I'd imagine picking another option would be more self-flagellation (which I ain't into).
If we're talking about "Infinity" you can run that fairly easily with a Hog, at least on Heroic.

Mistel

Banned
Infinity was a kinda meh vehicle section in general hog or scorpion. The mantis bit I'm not sure about either that was kinda dull also.

Booties

Banned

Whaaaaaat? No.

I have a better idea. Remove the damn thing.
I've got an even better idea. Only playable for Campaign and SpOps/Firefight or whatever
Yeah I'm for removing the Mantis
Mantis is good for Spartan Ops and Firefight (as well as it being another tool for machinimaker and gametype creators). Loved the SpOps level on Ragnarok with the mantises.

Not sure about it being in the campaign, though.
You are, all of you, vermin.

Something doesn't work in one iteration so just scrap it? You can't see any potential fun with a first person mech in a Halo game? Being able to control something similar to a Titan in a Halo game doesn't sound exciting to you? Opinions and all that I s'pose.
Cool thing about First Person Mechs is that you can constrain the FoV even more so that the game can handle all the crazy shit happening on screen. Then when ppl complain about the cramped FoV, you can explain it away with lore reasons.
Well here's an idea that doesn't involve cutting something that could be incredibly cool for this franchise! Thrusters and more heavily armored suits feel like a natural progression for Halo, especially when you consider they already exist in the cannon:
Obviously it shouldn't fly and be as OP as that mech from Halo Legends, but the concept could be very interesting if it's not a slow 3rd person Mantis with a crap ton of shields/health. Make it faster with no shields or something.. something that doesn't involve cutting! Don't listen to these people Stinkles, a mech in Halo is a good idea :]
Equip it with CE Pistols.

Woorloog

Banned
The Mantis, as a mech, doesn't fit Halo universe, in addition to it being really, really boring vehicle gameplay-wise. And before you say, "they got powered armor", it is nowhere near the same thing as a mech. (And the Covies having walking vehicles is another matter).
EDIT and it is not about the current looks, no Mantis concept art looked like it'd fit Halo, and i can't imagine any kind of mech that would fit Halo. And i have very good imagination.

The Mantis, as a mech, doesn't fit Halo universe, in addition to it being really, really boring vehicle gameplay-wise. And before you say, "they got powered armor", it is nowhere near the same thing as a mech. (And the Covies having walking vehicles is another matter).
EDIT and it is not about the current looks, no Mantis concept art looked like it'd fit Halo, and i can't imagine any kind of mech that would fit Halo. And i have very good imagination.

Locust_halo_wars.JPG

C'mon son.

Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe Infinity's the reason that little blurb about "fully destructible environments" came out pre-release. People saw the Tank run and the Mantis run where you could blow up the Wraiths and Covenant sniper towers as well as all of the bridges / space turrets during the Mantis segment and thought it translated to a game-wide feature.

Top Bottom