• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

jem0208

Watching some H2 cutscenes and HOLY SHIT at the texture pop up, there's one moment you can even see chief's whole model appear on screen from thin air haha

Can't wait to see the CGI cutscenes, they nailed how Sgt. Johnson looks.

From what we've seen they've nailed how everyone looks.

I absolutely love the Prophet model, dem eyes...

e3-2014-halo-2-anniversary-cinematic---prophet-of-regret-98c2ba427d724dbd9777a537eb5f4ccf.jpg

You would assume the maps are based off PC.

I mean, in Xbox Blood Gulch you can literally drive a ghost into the sandbox and snipe from the stars.

And you can go up on the top of Damnation and Sidewinder, etc
The good ol' days.. Getting to the bottom of Damnation required masterful precision and felt great when you pulled it off.
Hope they don't mess with the cinematography too much in the cutscenes. The framing is part of the feel of the game too.
I would actually LOVE for them to mess with some of that, like the notorious Chief running scene lol

Random17

There's definitely a huge room for improvement when it comes to the animations, but I did enjoy the Halo 2 cutscenes more than the iterations in CE or 3, so let's hope the new ones remain faithful in terms of the camera angle/shot direction, which I thought was generally excellent.

Dub117

Loaded fine on my galaxy s3
G2 handled it no prob. Team Android. Oh and update, I still suck at H3. I'm not God tier in Reach or 4, but my k/d is 1.4-1.2 respectively. On 3 it has to be 1 at best. (Stats show .87 but I was a bad kid back in the day.) What gives? Skill gap?

Oh yeah and the prophet looks legit. Hyped for gravemind

belushy

Banned
There will indeed be new media for delicious public consumption in the months leading up to the launch. As for what type of media, we'll just have to wait and see. :)

You guys should do live streams like the Project Spark guys did, though it might work better for Halo 5 development over this Master Chief Collection. (I feel like I've said this a hundred times, but I'll keep saying it ;P)

wwm0nkey

Sweet. Just sweet.

I'm guessing the Master Chief collection kills all hope of seeing 3 on Steam. I really wanted that to happen. Still looking forward to something Halo related for once though which is great.
Well Frankie said there is nothing stopping aPC version of the collection from coming out on PC, it's just not in the works atm.

Also the fact that all these games now run in x86 and Giantbomb apparently saw a PC menu, I think it'll happen eventually.

Still though it's 1080p/60fps now so I'm happy but will double dip on the PC version anyways.

Madness

Community Coordinator for 343i Tashi, are there any plans to overhaul the waypoint site for stats collection? Please don't make it forced sign-in, make it easier for all mobile users etc.

I'll literally use the site everyday if it functions like how bnet did for Halo 2/3/ODST/Reach. Also, how will the stats differentiate between generations?

Community Coordinator for 343i Tashi, are there any plans to overhaul the waypoint site for stats collection? Please don't make it forced sign-in, make it easier for all mobile users etc.

I'll literally use the site everyday if it functions like how bnet did for Halo 2/3/ODST/Reach. Also, how will the stats differentiate between generations?

For real.

I like looking at stats, but I go to HaloTracker or use LeafApp because waypoint is such an over-engineered mess.

Rev3rb

Was watching some of those videos that Cyren posted and saw this.

Pretty accurate take on H4's menu music.

Stinkles predicting the future?

Madness

For real.

I like looking at stats, but I go to HaloTracker or use LeafApp because waypoint is such an over-engineered mess.

I don't even use anything. No real point right. Hard to see who best player last game was, no ranks so no searching to see what kind of players they are.

For me, waypoint doesn't even load on my smartphone anymore. Running Android 4.3 too. I can't read bulletins, have to drag finger and then hold it to see, otherwise it's just background with no text showing. I felt that with recent change to @Halo on Twitter, they could just nuke waypoint, recreate 343industries.com or .Net and use it as Bungie used their site in the past, or even try and get rights to Halo.com

What is LeafApp though?

Nebula

Waypoint is a huge mess that needs fixing. 343 just need to trash it and go back to basics. something I can read quickly that doesn't take 10 years to load or 10 years to look through.

Also this was posted in the Ghosts thread. Easily a fake but funny if it isn't.

mwcollection-790x401.png

Waypoint is a huge mess that needs fixing. 343 just need to trash it and go back to basics. something I can read quickly that doesn't take 10 years to load or 10 years to look through.

mwcollection-790x401.png

Honestly...I'd get it. COD4 is just too good.

Dub117

mwcollection-790x401.png
I can't do COD or Battlefield and I love FPS. I don't know why. I love Doom, Quake, even liked Titanfall quite a bit. I keep trying COD and I keep going right back to Halo. It just feels cheap and like it has no skill... I don't know

mwcollection-790x401.png

Activision actually did it with the Treyarth games.

I'll be on later tonight. E3 stuffs I gotta write or at least start writing.

Also, Wu expressed interest in coming back here. I think he needs some encouragement.
Right now would be one of the best times for him to come back. E3 was like a couple of bong hits to HaloGAF; some people are a little paranoid, but most everyone is happy and ready to talk some Halo.

Open arms, baby.

FyreWulff

mwcollection-790x401.png

This holiday: Bungie vs Bungie vs Activision vs Activision

Fracas

#fuckonami

mwcollection-790x401.png

old and fake iirc

Fuchsdh

The good ol' days.. Getting to the bottom of Damnation required masterful precision and felt great when you pulled it off.

I would actually LOVE for them to mess with some of that, like the notorious Chief running scene lol
Haha that could use some work, true. I guess since we can toggle back during the cutscenes too it's not really a huge issue (which I hope you can do in CEA as well.)

Hope they don't mess with the cinematography too much in the cutscenes. The framing is part of the feel of the game too.

There's definitely a huge room for improvement when it comes to the animations, but I did enjoy the Halo 2 cutscenes more than the iterations in CE or 3, so let's hope the new ones remain faithful in terms of the camera angle/shot direction, which I thought was generally excellent.

Yeah, hopefully they at least try and follow the camera angles/movements as much as possible. Especially for the most cheesiest, but best zoom in videogame history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UrIrI4FJZ0A#t=2760
(starts at 46:02)

Incredible ;)

For real.

KISS method. No silly animated backgrounds, gradients, or the like, please! Just some solid, clean and FAST JS and HTML5 charts and tables, with responsive design so it works nicely on mobile, too :)

This holiday: Bungie vs Bungie vs Activision vs Activision

lol... NewBungie from Activision vs OldBungie games from Microsoft vs BorrowedBungie with CoD: ODST from Activision.

Gonna be a crazy holiday...

FatMarshall

Neo Member

CoD_collection.jpg[/QUOTE]
Waypoint needs severe policy changes as well. The Bungie.net community refused to migrate there, and as despicable as they could be at times, they should have been able to integrate without issue. I know there are a great many people who remember the days of the Halo 3 and Halo: Reach forums, and Waypoint isn't anywhere close to that amount of thriving traffic.

As for a CoD remaster, I truly hope there's one for Call of Duty 4 in 2017. Though, I highly doubt Activision would give up a huge chunk of potential sales for the 2017 CoD iteration by doing such a thing.

I don't even use anything. No real point right. Hard to see who best player last game was, no ranks so no searching to see what kind of players they are.

For me, waypoint doesn't even load on my smartphone anymore. Running Android 4.3 too. I can't read bulletins, have to drag finger and then hold it to see, otherwise it's just background with no text showing. I felt that with recent change to @Halo on Twitter, they could just nuke waypoint, recreate 343industries.com or .Net and use it as Bungie used their site in the past, or even try and get rights to Halo.com

What is LeafApp though?

http://leafapp.co/h4/record/madness (or whatever your GT happens to be).

I just have a personal metagame of keeping track of my K/D. 1.99!

Waypoint needs severe policy changes as well. The Bungie.net community refused to migrate there, and as despicable as they could be at times, they should have been able to integrate without issue. I know there are a great many people who remember the days of the Halo 3 and Halo: Reach forums, and Waypoint isn't anywhere close to that amount of thriving traffic.

As for a CoD remaster, I truly hope there's one for Call of Duty 4 in 2017. Though, I highly doubt Activision would give up a huge chunk of potential sales for the 2017 CoD iteration by doing such a thing.

Personal speculation here but you'll see B.net moderation kick back in once Destiny launches and sells through, it has already been increased somewhat in recent months. I can't visit B.net any more, sorry but it is a shit hole in off topic, which has spread to gaming for the most part as well. At least the flood was funny back in the day. Also the moderation team and B.net were more strict during H2/3/Reach too.

I seriously doubt you'd see Waypoint relax anywhere near the levels of B.net offtopic or Flood, you come to Waypoint to discuss Halo and not what you had for breakfast or to create 10 alt accounts to make lame racist jokes that embed adult elite gifs. Microsoft have official rules to follow for Waypoint moderation and yes they're strict but I could right now link 10 posts that members hate Halo 4 but remain civil, I can also link moderators who detest Halo 4 as well. I myself have points I critique often, I even called 343i out about assault prior to becoming a moderator. It's not all one way as many on the Internet would suggest.

If you can't play nice over at Waypoint we'll deal with that based on enforcing MS rules for the public forums. We have internal moderation discussions about relaxing things all the time, daily/weekly in fact. We're not allowed to disclose or discuss anything specific but moderation is a group collaboration based on rules. Nothing more and nothing less.

Just like B.net and Destiny Waypoint will develop with each Halo version and the features integrated to the game will hopefully drive interaction and new member activity more and more. I know I'll use B.net mobile app for social updates with mates to play Destiny but I doubt I'll go back to using for B.net public forums ever again.

I too found the statistics over at Waypoint slow to load and missing or poorly located statistics. I'd also like to see sign-in optional with a live games stats stream of you, your party and the dynamic enemies/parties you face. Perhaps all automatic to Smartglass or Waypoint or similar. I have also found in game service records and baseball cards have grown on me once I started using the bumpers after drilling down more but there are too many casual stats/medals and a tighter focus on what is most important to display would do well for the Collection or Halo 5.

Probably not new, but I'm gonna go ahead and predict that Halo 2 will absolutely have a reimagined Coagulation, based on Dan and Frank's interview on the Twitch stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=o7ynpPLXNtY#t=31

"only one we've revealed is Ascension, but my favourite map is probably everyone's favourite map, but I'm not gonna say what it is but it's really obvious, and actually there's some things we haven't shown, some sort of interactive elements and that really changes the gameplay on that particular level which I would describe as an exterior space with interior parts."
everyone's favourite map? Gotta be coag. Gotta be. It's probably the most well known and iconic Halo map and remade visuals would be pretty cool to see. IT EVEN IS AN EXTERIOR MAP WITH INTERIOR PARTS ;)

So my revised remake list/predictions:
Ascension (confirmed, medium asym, more or less remade in Reach Forge World)
Lockout (hinted, small asym, ridiculously popular, remade as Halo 3 Blackout)
Zanzibar (hinted, large asym, popular, remade as Halo 3 Last Resort)
Coagulation (hinted? large "symmetrical", remade version of CE Blood Gulch, "spiritual remake" with Halo 3 Valhalla and Halo 4 Ragnarok, more or less remade in Reach Forge World)

Midship. Small symmetrical arena, there's gotta be at least one of these to round it out, no? I don't see them using any of these alternatives over it: Beaver Creek (they just remade it), Warlock (too simple to be worth it), Desolation (too simple, and not that popular), Gemini (too obscure, from Marathon 2), or Foundation (barely a competitive map, but really popular in customs, from Marathon 2). Only thing that makes me second guess is that Halo 3 has a remake with Heretic, but so many Halo 2 maps have been remade anyway that I don't really see this as a compelling reason not to do an Anniversary version.

Terminal Large asym, no remake ever done, Halo 4's Perdition started as a Terminal remake for Halo CE Anniversary, so it was gonna be remade at one point and finishing that would make sense since some assets could still exist. It was a really popular map, if I remember, too. This is the only one that I'm hesitant to be sure of.

Later in the video, Frank mentions:
"Well they have fixed a few bugs, and other stuff, so it's not precisely the Forge that already shipped, there's a couple of things that we tweaked and fixed, but it's gonna be a very familiar experience"
The phrasing seems to suggest that Halo 3 and Halo 4's Forge modes have been tweaked and fixed in some way.

Now, if they are spending the time and effort to do that, and put Forge in for the Halo 2 Anniversary variants, then there's gotta be an aspect of at least one of those maps to be used as some kind of canvas. I imagine since this engine is based parts of Halo 4's, they would also be using a version of Halo 4's Forge mode. If that is true, then they have hopefully also included some fixes that have been pointed out by the Forge community since Halo 4's launch.

I'm almost convinced that at least one of the above maps has enough space to act as a canvas for other map remakes. I previously thought it could be done with Foundation, but now I don't know... Halo 4 had Forge Island, I wonder if they could do something along those lines. Maybe with Coag again like in Forge World? Or maybe, just maybe, none of the 6 maps have it, and there's a "7th" canvas map strictly made for Forge in Halo 2 Anniversary.

Of course, none of this really would matter if you can't properly share the files to other people, so I guess we will have to wait and see on that, but I have a feeling that Forge in the MC Collection is also going to be a Big Deal (tm).

New interactive elements will be interesting to see. I wonder how much of a difference between versions there will be (kind of like the CE Reach Anniversary maps), as I didn't notice all that much with the Ascension that they showed aside from that button and weird energy thing in the centre... I wonder if there will be two separate variants like in Halo CEA's Reach maps. That also reminds me, what of Epilogue or Boundless in Halo 3, or other tweaked variants? So many questions!

And special Stinkles collector's edition confirmed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=o7ynpPLXNtY#t=289
In all seriousness, I would absolutely buy a collector's edition for this. This is an ultimate fan collection, so a nolife edition would be hot. A scaled replica of a Halo Ring would be what I'd want included. ;]

--

Watched the gameplay video from Halo 2 Anniversary again with Bravo, Neighbor and Ghostayame, can't help but notice Dan Ayoub going into near Freak-out Mode at the end when Ghost seems to be going "off-script". He pulls off the stick in the end, and then gives a hilarious rockstar point toward Dan. What a boss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6m21KxWWpRU#t=110

--

Also, this reaction video from the Halo panel at E3 is absolutely hilarious, maximum nerdgasm activated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nubdWIEe8Is

Nirvana

IT EVEN IS AN EXTERIOR MAP WITH INTERIOR PARTS ;)

It sounds like Lockout to me. For me that is the most iconic Halo 2 map. Blood Gulch was definitely the most iconic in the series and for Halo CE, but Lockout is what I think of when I think Halo 2.

Also we've already had Blood Gulch remade several times. I guess they might remake it again, but since Blackout was such an abortion, I think Lockout is a definite.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they remade Coag as well.

It sounds like Lockout to me. For me that is the most iconic Halo 2 map. Blood Gulch was definitely the most iconic in the series and for Halo CE, but Lockout is what I think of when I think Halo 2.

Also we've already had Blood Gulch remade several times. I guess they might remake it again, but since Blackout was such an abortion, I think Lockout is a definite.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they remade Coag as well.

Hmm, well obviously what he said could apply to a number of maps, but I dunno, for some reason I'm thinking Coag. Lockout was super popular for competitive, yes (and has been hinted at I think), but if there were an "everyone's favourite halo map" it would be the Gulch, imo.

--

Another fat xpost from the Lore thread (geeze I've been on a roll...can you tell I'm excited?):

I'm going to go ahead and guess that this piece of concept art is for Arby's "house", the Vadam Keep on Sanghelios.

-It has either: 2 moons (Suban and Qikost) or 2 visible of the 3 suns (Urs, Fied or Joori).
-Terrain is blatantly reddish in colour, which is how Sanghelios is described in most fiction that it is mentioned.
-Large statue on the right of what appears to be an Elite holding an energy sword (could be Ther Vadam, the founder of the Vadam state?).

-New teaser from the MC Collection shows Arbiter standing next to and talking to Agent Locke in some kind of room that opens up to reveal a setting that looks very much like the above concept art:
Notice Arbiter on the right side of the image, seconds later, you see him in a reflection on Locke's visor.

-This one is a stretch, but Arbiter's original name was Dervish (an Islamic "title"), and the architecture is very reminiscent of Indo-Islamic architecture with the domed buildings and such.

-Description of Vadam Keep from the books (Cole Protocol and The Thursday War) describes it as being very old, and cut out of the foot of Mount Kolaar, the central stronghold of the Vadam state. It is very well defensible, with high rock walls, and has many ancient passages into the mountain with an underground river for water and power. The halls of the keep itself are described as mostly being within the mountain, and the exterior as being part of the lower keep, carved into the cliffs and rock of the mountain, with high walls for defense (I see a wall in the back, near the cliffs).

-Some relevant excerpts-
From The Cole Protocol:
From the sides of Kolaar Mountain the Vadam keep looked out toward Vadam harbor, thirty miles away. They’d huddled against invaders throughout the ages here, and it was also from this well-defended location that they’d lashed back. The Prophets themselves had even tried but had been unable to properly destroy Vadam, among many others. They’d been too buried into the crags and cliffs of their mountains. Great Sangheili had built Vadam’s power up through the generations. Thel wanted to add his own name to the Vadam Saga, etched into the living rock of the walls under the mountain.

From The Thursday War:
The keep itself was more rock than masonry, one wing set into the lower slopes of Mount Kolaar itself. A huge hole in the east wall now gaped like a mouth open in outrage that anyone would dare to attack it.
Tart-Cart was circling over an area a kilometer or two south of Vadam keep, half of which seemed to be built right into the mountain itself. No wonder the Arbiter had been hard to shift.

That is pretty cool of you, thanks!

edit: You're color coding is kind of weird. You say Green is "Original Map, without Remakes" but the first map Abandon is yellow, which stands for "Remake."

Oops, just had the labels the wrong way around. Fixed.

- New teaser from the MC Collection shows Arbiter standing next to and talking to Agent Locke in some kind of room that opens up to reveal a setting that looks very much like the above concept art:

It makes sense that this "Agent Locke" character would go to Sanghelios if he was searching for John, rather than the Arbiter coming to Earth. Nice spot.

Nirvana

THE LEGS SLOW DOWN BUT THE BODY ACCELERATES!

The amount of times I've watched that stupid run - which mind you is a lot less than the Bungie staff who decided it looked good enough lol.

I almost want all of the cutscenes to be completely updated and then it gets to that part, and the new, updated CGI Mirana just fucking runs exactly like this. Would be awesome.

Woorloog

Banned
The amount of times I've watched that stupid run - which mind you is a lot less than the Bungie staff who decided it looked good enough lol.

I almost want all of the cutscenes to be completely updated and then it gets to that part, and the new, updated CGI Mirana just fucking runs exactly like this. Would be awesome.

That would be a neat difficulty-tied easter egg, ie happens only on certain difficulty (or perhaps tied to a skull), because always seeing it would be annoying.

Top Bottom