• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

I would agree that there only about 100 people that give a fuck about Forge. :p

that's not true. there are tons of people that like forge, there's nilla, yeti, and ghaleon and a few others i cant think of right now.

:p

Nickelback is the best band of all time

ibihYrJ5BhAzp.gif

btw, just finished season 4 of fringe. this show is awesome

I was kidding.

lol, who didn't think you were kidding.

heckfu

Banned
Oh that's fuckin ignorant.
Ill relent their older stuff (read: Molly's Chambers, et al) is really excellent. Their last two albums, on the other hand, is record-label forced rock. Less emotion, less lyrical brilliance. It happens with big label bands every day.

Sai-kun

Banned
Ill relent their older stuff (read: Molly's Chambers, et al) is really excellent. Their last two albums, on the other hand, is record-label forced rock. Less emotion, less lyrical brilliance. It happens with big label bands every day.

your musical opinions are the greatest (except when you hate things i like)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Wrong again

zap

When Nokyard posted the link to the 343 guy on reddit asking some questions, I went browsing to see any tidbits...

I came across this, hadn't seen it anywhere before...

Parsnip said:
Interestingly, Marty owns the copyright to the music he composed for Halo. As such, he controls the use of the traditional Halo themes.

Neil Davidge of Massive Attack did the music for the announcement trailer.

Is this potentially why we have seen so little of the original Halo themes in the pieces from the Halo 4 soundtrack? Or is it just because Davidge wanted to do his own thing?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, so when is the embargo up? Do we know? I'm confused.

Stoked about the Forge reveal David was teasing.

Aggrotek

When Nokyard posted the link to the 343 guy on reddit asking some questions, I went browsing to see any tidbits...

Is this potentially why we have seen so little of the original Halo themes in the pieces from the Halo 4 soundtrack? Or is it just because Davidge wanted to do his own thing?

I'm sure Marty wouldn't deny them the use of the Halo theme.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Hai guys.
Everyone I played Borderlands with got burned out on it. I started vault hunter mode by myself, now I'm getting burned out.

It got so bad that I played Reach today. For fun.
Wait, so when is the embargo up? Do we know? I'm confused.

Stoked about the Forge reveal David was teasing.
Oh hey, jerk who doesn't play Borderlands anymore.

As for the embargo, I believe it ends at 3 AM eastern.
Still not tired of it.

I gotta hurry up and hit level 50. I'm 41 at the moment.

Wanting to take down Terramorphous (not story related at all, so no spoilers there for anyone reading this) without The Bee.

Aggrotek

Everyone I played Borderlands with got burned out on it. I started vault hunter mode by myself, now I'm getting burned out.

It got so bad that I played Reach today. For fun.

Oh hey, jerk who doesn't play Borderlands anymore.

As for the embargo, I believe it ends at 3 AM eastern.

Still not tired of it.

zap

I'm sure Marty wouldn't deny them the use of the Halo theme.

Yeah, but they'd have to make royalty payments to him, which they don't have to for any of the other baseline Halo stuff... I dunno, it's probably no where near costly enough to make a difference, but I thought it was an interesting bit of info I didn't know.

Aggrotek

Yeah, but they'd have to make royalty payments to him, which they don't have to for any of the other baseline Halo stuff... I dunno, it's probably no where near costly enough to make a difference, but I thought it was an interesting bit of info I didn't know.

I think the budget was high enough that it wouldn't have been an issue. Would be nice if it showed up some though. It's so iconic.

Are we sure Marty owns the rights? I kinda doubt it. I remember MS released that complete Halo soundtrack pack and Marty had no idea it was coming out. It included Halo 2 Vol 2 instead of Halo 2 Vol 1. I believe that was before the Bungie/MS split though so maybe the rights landed on Marty's end of the divorce.
halost.jpg

Edit:
Side-note the Halo hype is getting the better of me so I fired up Anniversary and I don't think it can be stressed enough how fantastic the music in these games is. It is like going home.

Are we sure Marty owns the rights? I kinda doubt it. I remember MS released that complete Halo soundtrack pack and Marty had no idea it was coming out. It included Halo 2 Vol 2 instead of Halo 2 Vol 1. I believe that was before the Bungie/MS split though so maybe the rights landed on Marty's end of the divorce.

Edit:
Side-note the Halo hype is getting the better of me so I fired up Anniversary and I don't think it can be stressed enough how fantastic the music in these games is. It is like going home.

I would seriously doubt a company like MS/Xbox would have the rights to Halo without the theme music.

I feel like there is no way that Microsoft didn't buy the Halo music rights from Marty.
But I guess that makes sense why the music is a completely new direction. Interesting.

Edit: haha beaten.

FyreWulff

I always found it easier to not try and explain the whole Total Audio / Bungie situation

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Hate to keep sayin chievos, but yeah; Anyone down for GAF party on Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday night? Free all day tues/thurs, free after 7 PST friday.

Lemme know what times/chievos you need. I'll keep a list.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Anyone here preordered the Halo 4 hardcover artbook?

Thinking about getting it. I kind of want the Halo Encyclopedia as well, but it was released in 2011, and I'd imagine there will be a revision once 4 releases.

Edit:

so its been a long time now since that "Thing" you participated in was over. Are you allowed to give any impressions from what you may have played? (Though I know the build now is light years ahead in difference.)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I feel like there might be something coming soonish that will scratch that particular itch.

yay! really excited for more info. hopefully a decent system for getting community maps in too. i think a community hopper with a shit ton of maps would be super fun, even if they werent all top tier. sometimes just playing on new stuff is fun.

The reason we probably haven't seen a direct reprise of any major themes is that Davidge can still legally use light melodies throughout his songs without having to pay because they'd fall under homages, rather than outright usages. That's why OCRemix follows a pretty heavy policy of 20% traditional melody, 80% ORIGINAL COMPOSITION DO NOT STEAL. Otherwise they'd be bankrupt.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
halost.jpg

Edit:

Please come back November 6. :(

FyreWulff

Copyright notices on the sheet music:

http://imgur.com/a/BqUON

Either way, MS owns it in some way ( maybe there's some weird fine details where Marty owns in certain ways due to musician guilds/etc or something in the original contract ). I'd write the different direction up as 343 establishing an identity for the new trilogy, not avoiding Marty's compositions though.

zap

halost.jpg

Edit:

I'm basing this information off a 343 employee's statements a year ago on reddit, so who knows if he has the whole picture.

Funny thing is that he revealed that Davidge was the composer long before it was announced... His comment was before HaloFest.

yay! really excited for more info. hopefully a decent system for getting community maps in too. i think a community hopper with a shit ton of maps would be super fun, even if they werent all top tier. sometimes just playing on new stuff is fun.

Definitely this. I think if we as Community Cartographers had access to a specific community playlist, it would serve as a great place for people to try new maps (like batches of 15 or so), and for great maps for a MM setting to boil up to the top. It would also allow the top tier maps to get great feedback to make them even better and possibly good enough to rotate them into a more official playlist. I think perhaps maybe on two to four community maps in official MM playlists would be just enough to add variety without over crowding it. Maps that sit in the community playlist that float to the top can be rotated in safely without fear of unfamiliarity and time to learn the map because of its time in the community playlist. Refreshing the community maps in the official playlists perhaps ever 2-4 months to keep things fresh and give time for people to get familiar with new maps in the community playlist.

so its been a long time now since that "Thing" you participated in was over. Are you allowed to give any impressions from what you may have played? (Though I know the build now is light years ahead in difference.)
Anything I would have had to add has been covered many times over from others with newer cooler stuff to talk about too.

Please come back November 6. :(

I have woken because I have been needed!

Merguson

Banned
I know it's been done before but I was playing through the Halo campaigns...

my ranking based solely on gameplay...

1. Halo 3 (From Sierra 117 to The Covenant.. awesome run.. until Cortana)
2. Halo 1 (Some great levels from this game.. but also some outdated mechanics and a little too much repetition)
3. Halo: Reach (Very polished campaign.. not the best levels but there's not one I absolute hate.. like the Library or Cortana.. or... Quarantine Zone)
4. Halo 3: ODST (Interesting concept but could be better... not really a level i hate.. although a lot of it is basically firefight pieces)
5. Halo 2 (The start wasn't too bad but as you progressed.. frustration to the max)

Last one was Halo 2.. I held the belief that it was the "worst" Halo campaign and I still believe it. Hell, a good chunk of it is pretty frustrating... I haven't experienced that level of frustration with any other campaign. And we're just talking "Normal" difficulty here. I'm not even touching Legendary.

Top Bottom