• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Everyone I played Borderlands with got burned out on it. I started vault hunter mode by myself, now I'm getting burned out.

It got so bad that I played Reach today. For fun.

Oh hey, jerk who doesn't play Borderlands anymore.

:p
As for the embargo, I believe it ends at 3 AM eastern.

I gotta hurry up and hit level 50. I'm 41 at the moment.

Wanting to take down Terramorphous (not story related at all, so no spoilers there for anyone reading this) without The Bee.

PC or 360?

When Nokyard posted the link to the 343 guy on reddit asking some questions, I went browsing to see any tidbits...

I came across this, hadn't seen it anywhere before...

Is this potentially why we have seen so little of the original Halo themes in the pieces from the Halo 4 soundtrack? Or is it just because Davidge wanted to do his own thing?

There is no way MS does not own the music, at least in part.. Maybe they are allowed to use the Marty's stuff whenever, but he gets a certain amount of royalties paid? I just can't imagine them not having access to that music. That would make things like Halo Anniversary all the more complicated.

We confirmed Neil as the composer of the Halo 4 debut trailer right after we released it.

http://halo.bungie.org/news.html?item=33511

Out of curiosity, why did you guys wait to confirm him as the games actual composer? Was it just not certain if he would stay on the project?

Omni

I know it's been done before but I was playing through the Halo campaigns...

my ranking based solely on gameplay...

1. Halo 3 (From Sierra 117 to The Covenant.. awesome run.. until Cortana)
2. Halo 1 (Some great levels from this game.. but also some outdated mechanics and a little too much repetition)
3. Halo: Reach (Very polished campaign.. not the best levels but there's not one I absolute hate.. like the Library or Cortana.. or... Quarantine Zone)
4. Halo 3: ODST (Interesting concept but could be better... not really a level i hate.. although a lot of it is basically firefight pieces)
5. Halo 2 (The start wasn't too bad but as you progressed.. frustration to the max)

Last one was Halo 2.. I held the belief that it was the "worst" Halo campaign and I still believe it. Hell, a good chunk of it is pretty frustrating... I haven't experienced that level of frustration with any other campaign. And we're just talking "Normal" difficulty here. I'm not even touching Legendary.
Cortana was amazing though! I never understood the hate. Everything from the encounters to the aesthetics of the level were great. :p

Definitely don't agree with Reach being above Halo 2. At the very least H2 actually felt like it meant something... Reach was just like "Press this button.... now go back and press this button. New Level! Press this button! *insert random dying Spartans here* Press this button! and die!". Levels were painfully boring. Not even the awesome visuals could make up for it, IMO.

Karl2177

Cortana was amazing though! I never understood the hate. Everything from the encounters to the aesthetics of the level were great. :p

Definitely don't agree with Reach being above Halo 2. At the very least H2 actually felt like it meant something... Reach was just like "Press this button.... now go back and press this button. New Level! Press this button! *insert random dying Spartans here* Press this button! and die!". Levels were painfully boring. Not even the awesome visuals could make up for it, IMO.

Gameplay wise, bucko. And Cortana was ass. Literally.

Nemesis remix is probably the greatest montage song ever.
Arrival at 0:35 would like a word.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Gonna lol when there are like five Nov 6 tage's with the track.

I'll be so mad. I'm just messing around using it on a Reach one with my old Weekly Montage clips. Probably won't release it but my god the music is perfect for it.

Computron

I have been geting consistently matched up with certain specific groups of players in Halo 3 BTB over the past week.
It happens in like a 4th of my matches at my usual play times, just by going into BTB solo.

It's actually pretty cool, I get pretty good matches with/against familiar players.

It kinda reminds me of playing Halo 2 just after they shut off Xbox live and new players could not sign in.

Karl2177

Oh right. Missed that part >_>

and why was Cortana 'ass'?

It took me about 3 playthroughs to actually figure out where the paths were. Aside from natural pathing issues, the unforgivingness of the Legendary ranged Flood AI made it rather unenjoyable. Plus it doesn't help that the level is going through one anus to another.

Almost everyone who touts the Halo 3 campaign as being the best gameplay wise will probably tell you Cortana is the worst or second worst level in the series(other being the Library).

Omni

Because it is INSIDE AN ASS.
Haha, I never really thought about it like that before...
Did you not get the QTE scene where you fuck Cortana in the ass? You had to be on legendary, bro. For shame.
:(
It took me about 3 playthroughs to actually figure out where the paths were. Aside from natural pathing issues, the unforgivingness of the Legendary ranged Flood AI made it rather unenjoyable. Plus it doesn't help that the level is going through one anus to another.

Almost everyone who touts the Halo 3 campaign as being the best gameplay wise will probably tell you Cortana is the worst or second worst level in the series(other being the Library).
I've got my first play through on campaign saved in theatre, and I didn't get lost at all. Perhaps I was just lucky then, haha. I always liked how deadly the AI were in the Flood levels on Legendary; Made things interesting. You had to be somewhat tactical instead of running around everything and/or just charging them.

I guess it's a matter of taste, but personally I find that Crows Nest to be far worse than Cortana. The entire level is just so boring

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one who doesn't think the first few levels of Halo 3 are all that great? The only encounters I really enjoy in the first three levels are the Crow's Nest bunker and hanger fights. Then Tsavo Highway is really solid, but The Storm and Floodgate are so-so. The Ark and The Covenant are amazing, and then Cortana is ass, and Halo is, umm, also ass.

GGs guys. Worked well most of those games ;]

Yeah, good games. Nice to have a 49-50 game in Reach! Don't see that too often.

idk who died at the end but that game should've been over had it not been for bs bloom.. I was shooting that dude top Grav. Hammer in the head from like 30 feet away but nope.. Reach was like "nah fuck that, no headshot for you.. neck shots!"

Am I the only one who doesn't think the first few levels of Halo 3 are all that great? The only encounters I really enjoy in the first three levels are the Crow's Nest bunker and hanger fights. Then Tsavo Highway is really solid, but The Storm and Floodgate are so-so. The Ark and The Covenant are amazing, and then Cortana is ass, and Halo is, umm, also ass.

Nope, I agree. I like Sierra 117, crows nest is ok, Tsavo Highway is a blast and then the others shortly after are so-so. Still, the game has an incredibly replayable singleplayer which certainly helps alleviate the pain of some of the levels being mediocre. I actually wasn't a huge fan of Halo 3's SP when it came out, at all.. It all felt a little..eh. But its grown on me with time when i realized I can replay almost all the levels and discover new ways to approach the situations and have fun while doing so.

Omni

I honestly thought Halo was easily one of the best levels in the game (Covenant>The Ark>Halo>Cortana>Everything else...). Maybe it's because I enjoyed the story elements so much.

:\

I really didn't replay Halo 3 missions very much at all. Halo 2 missions like Cairo Station, Outskirts & Delta Halo had me replaying like a hundred times though.

Omni

Wait, you enjoyed Cortana more than Tsavo Highway??

Wat.

Yeah, actually. Aesthetics aside, the level didn't really do much for me. It seemed to just be a filler level with Firefight-like progression... The level afterwards was a lot better, IMO.

Karl2177

I honestly thought Halo was easily one of the best levels in the game (Covenant>The Ark>Halo>Cortana>Everything else...). Maybe it's because I enjoyed the story elements so much.

:\

Halo is okay. It's definitely on the lower end of Halo 3 for me. There's really only 6 main parts to the level and 2 of them are pretty quick.
  • Get to the Control Room tower.
  • Assault up the Control Room tower.
  • Defend the Control Room tower.
  • Boss fight.
  • Get to the Warthog.
  • Warthog run.

Bolded are the short sections. Assaulting the tower is a good encounter, with the assistance that Johnson gives. Defending it, depending on the difficulty is either tedious or boring; not much middle ground. Getting to the Warthog is also interesting, but it concludes with killing carrier forms and infection forms, not much fun there. And the Warthog run, although more forgiving than the Halo:CE run, not nearly as rewarding or fun since Arbiter is gunning everyone down.

Cortana can be a fun mission if you enjoy lighting things on fire as much as I do. The number of fire grenades and flamethrowers in that level make it quite enjoyable for me.

However, I would still consider it the worst level because all of the other levels are much better designed.

I really didn't replay Halo 3 missions very much at all. Halo 2 missions like Cairo Station, Outskirts & Delta Halo had me replaying like a hundred times though.

I can't wait to replay Halo 2 one day. Replayed a few parts a couple times, but nothing more.

Oh and checked the replay on that Sword block in the Assault Zealot game and I was right.. the dude blocked my Sword with a melee then shot me after. Reach TU with Sword block glitches - can't wait till Nov. 4th :D

Fotos

I love all the Halo 3 missions. IMO Halo 3 has the most fun campaign out of all the Halo games. I play them all the time

Top Bottom