• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

blamite

I saw all that as excellent tension-building. I don't think the story was trying to hide the fact that the Flood was lurking in the dark.

Right, I think the fact that it was so obvious and un-hidden just made it more frustrating to me that it kept being built up. I was just thinking "I get it! It's the Flood, there's tension! Just show it already!" for way too long.

Speaking of Evolutions, what's the deal with Palace Hotel? Seems like it kind of retcon's a bunch of the Halo 2 mission Metropolis. It wasn't a bad story or anything, I just think it was really weird to include a story covering a section we've played in-game and then change big parts of it. Kind of surprising, especially coming from Robt McLees.

Right, I think the fact that it was so obvious and un-hidden just made it more frustrating to me that it kept being built up. I was just thinking "I get it! It's the Flood, there's tension! Just show it already!" for way too long.

Hm. I haven't read it in a while. I should read it again, but I remember loving it so much. Especially the ending.

People are getting the chronological order of the novels wrong, it's:
Contact Harvest
Cole Protocol (takes place in 2531)
Fall of Reach

Well, yes... ish. I have all my books in chronofic order, and actually have TCP before TFoR as you say, but only because I've read everything, and I like the way it flows that way. TFoR is a very wide-spanning book, and is a much better introduction to the Spartan program for the first-time reader IMO. Really, you could swap those two back and forth depending on how you wanted the whole thing to flow. Your points are equally valid though ;-)

blamite

Hm. I haven't read it in a while. I should read it again, but I remember loving it so much. Especially the ending.
It definitely had a great ending. In act, I'm sure there were a lot of things about the story I'd have liked a lot more if it had just been better paced. I seem to remember that a lot of the length came from flipping between team members, which was a cool idea, but caused a lot of my problems as well.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Same. I really liked that story too but I haven't read it since it was released.

That reminds me. Anyone from the US (Sorry International folk) here not have a copy of Evolutions? Well I've got a hard cover crisp as a fall morning in NY just waiting for you.

First person to answer correctly, wins!

Name the cast of HaloGAF Radio! Go!

ZDkPx.jpg

Contest over, congrats to Juices

Omni

Bungie.net strikes again. There's a thread complaining that the game is too green, another that the lighting on Abadon is apparently bad, and another jumping to conclusions about the gameplay...

and people say Waypoint is terrible. I have never seen so many people complain about a game like this before. Every day I go onto the Flood there are several new threads bitching about something completely irrelevant... :|

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
I would be careful about having potentially modified game modes in your fileshare. This is not a threat; just trying to remind folks that the automated banhammer is thorough and acts with dispassion. Much like the Terminator.

senador

Banned
They are different. I like them because of the Black Ops story. No one are the good guys. At the end I am always looking forward to the parts with Forerunner structures still. But Glasslands and The Thursday War aren't bad as most people make them to be.

But goddamnit I want Silentium now. I want it. Give it to me. GIVE ME SILENTIUM NOW.

I could only take about 15 pages of Cryptum before tossing it aside and swearing off any subsequent entries in the Forerunner Saga. Way too dry and way too fantasy-ish for my tastes. I liked, but didn't love, Glasslands, and I am loving Thursday War so far (about 320 pages in).

I'm loving it. It's got a little bit of everything. Some illumination on the Sangheili, a touch of Forerunner revelation, and a savory amount of UNSC/ONI military/spook action.

Thanks! That's enough for me to want to read it. I enjoyed Cryptum and Primordium so I imagine I'll enjoy the other 2.

IHaveIce

Banned
I would be careful using potentially modified game modes online. This is not a threat; just trying to remind folks that the automated banhammer is thorough and acts with dispassion. Much like the Terminator.

You can be banned for the gametype you play in customs?
That was definately not the case in Halo 3.
But good to know

I meant having modified content in fileshares. Will edit the previous quote for added clarity.
Ah ok, yeah that should be clear.

Fotos

Same. I really liked that story too but I haven't read it since it was released.

That reminds me. Anyone from the US (Sorry International folk) here not have a copy of Evolutions? Well I've got a hard cover crisp as a fall morning in NY just waiting for you.

First person to answer correctly, wins!

Name the cast of HaloGAF Radio! Go!

Tashi0106, Domino Theory, ncsuDuncan

never mind thought there were 3 winners

Top Bottom