• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy Endings Season 2 |OT| Get drunk and eat ribs in this topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
I thought it was pretty good. james wolk is great.

wish lonestar didn't bomb out from 2-3 years ago

I mean, the teaser was great and so was James Wolk. As was the metaness of "who is Dave?"

But the actual jokes? Too over the top, even for this show. Whatever, two mediocre episodes out of 14 so far is nothing to complain about.

big ander

Really? I didn't think it was spectacular, but it was still great. Sure it was a little weird and wacky, but it came to an awesome conclusion.

"we go to a gymboree and we scream 'Aidan?! Aidan where are you honey? Aidan Daddy's getting worried. Aidan?!'"
"Yeah, well I drive a food truck which is basically a car full of ovens, so..."

This episode felt a bit too awkward for me. Characters were acting a bit too embarrassing towards Grant I think. Still had some laughs, but not as good as it had been lately.

some of you saying this episode is way too crazy etc el...

when...

nothing in the episode was as ridiculous as the episode where penny+blond decide to befriend the teenagers in the shop and then act all stupid.

a lot of HE the show is just OTT stupidity; v neck addict?! etc etc.

ivysaur12

Banned
some of you saying this episode is way too crazy etc el...

when...

nothing in the episode was as ridiculous as the episode where penny+blond decide to befriend the teenagers in the shop and then act all stupid.

a lot of HE the show is just OTT stupidity; v neck addict?! etc etc.

Yeah but Penny got a shirt that said "I Pooped". And the Madisons!

I guess let me rephrase - there's a large difference between zany (which I LOVE) and annoying. This episode was too over the top in an annoying way.

But again, it's rare that a sitcom goes through an entire season without a few duds. This was one of them. So was the Penny's mom episode. I really can't think of any beyond that.

I'm with ivysaur (and the consensus) in this thread 100%. Interesting that the Penny's mother episode was written by the same person (I assume you mean the one that focused just on her and not Dave's father too).

I really don't like Megan Mullally's character in the show, particularly that fucking grating piece of shit wank-stain singing the writers make her do in every scene.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm with ivysaur (and the consensus) in this thread 100%. Interesting that the Penny's mother episode was written by the same person (I assume you mean the one that focused just on her and not Dave's father too).

I really don't like Megan Mullally's character in the show, particularly that fucking grating piece of shit wank-stain singing the writers make her do in every scene.

The singing is the worst ever and the worst idea the show has had for a joke.

Yeah, and I mean the one that focused on Penny's mom. Same writer. Hmm.

2x17

JANE AND ALEX TEAM UP TO CONVINCE DAVE THAT HE IMAGINED SOMETHING, ON ABC'S "HAPPY ENDINGS"

"The Kerkovich Way" - A panicked Alex enlists Jane's help in convincing Dave that something he's certain happened never did, but will they succeed? Meanwhile, Penny and Max are determined to finally beat an annoyingly perfect couple (Morgan Walsh as Julie, Brice Williams as Justin) in the annual Rosalita's Run and Scavenger Hunt, on "Happy Endings," WEDNESDAY, MARCH 7 (9:31-10:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"Happy Endings" stars Eliza Coupe as Jane, Elisha Cuthbert as Alex, Zachary Knighton as Dave, Adam Pally as Max, Damon Wayans, Jr. as Brad and Casey Wilson as Penny.

Guest starring are Jonathan Gabrus as the cashier, Johnny Kostrey as German soldier 1, Morgan Walsh as Julie, Brice Willams as Justin, Seth Morris as Scotty and Lidia Ryan as grandma Senka.

"The Kerkovich Way" was written Todd Linden and directed by Steven Sprung.

Todd Linden was a script coordinator, gets to write his own episode this season. Good job, Happy Endings! And Scotty is back!

mantidor

Well I liked it, it was funny and gave us shirtless Grant, (and shirtless Dave). The singing was annoying how did you guys make me remember? but this last episode wasn't that bad.

ivysaur12

Banned
Actually, my favorite Dana moment was when she goes "the eagle is my spirit animal!" and Dave goes "of course it is!". Besides the singing, that episode also had my favorite Dave moment - the high school, everything sucks Dave.

"Energy crystals are stupid!" "Ed Begley Jr. is stupid!"

But you know in the inevitable season finale when Dana and Big Dave get married, they're going to sing their vows. And it will be stupid.

SuperPac

Not the best episode, really. Maybe a little better than that "extra" episode from Season 1 (which also wasn't very good). :|

ivysaur12

Banned
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/21/happy-endings-brad-jane-fight_n_1291553.html

Clip from tomorrow's episode. It's back. Thank god.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT I'M DYING

Question: Anything on Happy Endings? —Drake
Ausiello: In the March 17 episode, Alex and Jane use their special Serbian mind-erase abilities to convince Dave that the kiss he shared with Alex never actually happened. They refer to this special power as The Kerkovich Way and claim it was passed down to them from their ancestors. And to prove it, I hear the show is planning to flash back — way back — to 1915 Serbia and the early days of Kerkovich dynasty. Oh, Happy Endings, how I love you so.

I'm pro-Happy Endings getting as weird as possible.

Penny's definitely my least favourite, don't know what it is about her as there's hardly anything noticeably wrong with the character / actress.

But yeah, this was a return to form after last week's average episode. Max dressed up in khaki chinos and a red shirt to make him look like Winnie the Pooh and eating honey out of the jar like he did was one of my favourite physical bits of comedy the show has done in ages, and was genius.

Alex as immature teenage girl on sleepover was also hilarious.

ivysaur12

Banned
Penny's definitely my least favourite, don't know what it is about her as there's hardly anything noticeably wrong with the character / actress.

But yeah, this was a return to form after last week's average episode. Max dressed up in khaki chinos and a red shirt to make him look like Winnie the Pooh and eating honey out of the jar like he did was one of my favourite physical bits of comedy the show has done in ages, and was genius.

Alex as immature teenage girl on sleepover was also hilarious.

Burn! Freezer burn! ...hah!

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
I love what the writers have done with Alex. Elisha Cuthbert has easily become the best part of this show. Amazing episode.

mantidor

The only problem with new Alex is that she is way too different from early Alex, and is obvious the writers had other intentions initially, so early episodes feel weird.

Funny episode. And Penny's great you crazies.

Yeah, she's great. Year of Penny continues.

My only problem with yesterday's episode is the lack of clarification of Max & Grant. Are they still together? And if so, would he let Max reach that state of extreme hibernation. (Though, if previous comments are to be believed, maybe that's something he likes.)

Yeah, she's great. Year of Penny continues.

My only problem with yesterday's episode is the lack of clarification of Max & Grant. Are they still together? And if so, would he let Max reach that state of extreme hibernation. (Though, if previous comments are to be believed, maybe that's something he likes.)

My only guess is that this episode was somehow supposed to air earlier in the season...or they just decided to say F it because it was such a funny bit.

ivysaur12

Banned
My only guess is that this episode was somehow supposed to air earlier in the season...or they just decided to say F it because it was such a funny bit.

It was aired in order. Just one of those sitcom things. Last week, Max was even wearing a 3rd annual spring smack down shirt.

And I think Grant said he liked bears...

ivysaur12

Banned
2x18 - You Sooze, You Bruise

DAVE IS BULLIED BY A GUY AT THE GYM, ON ABC'S "HAPPY ENDINGS"

"You Snooze, You Bruise" - Dave finds himself bullied at the gym by Corey (guest star Bobby Moynihan, "Saturday Night Live,"), and former bully Alex coaches him on how to fight back. Meanwhile, the residents at Brad and Jane's condo are fed up with Jane being too controlling as president of their home owners' association, and rise up to challenge her for the job. But when Penny tells Jane to "sleep on it" before she does anything rash, her advice results in an all-new, suddenly chill Jane, on "Happy Endings," WEDNESDAY, MARCH 14 (9:31-10:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"Happy Endings" stars Eliza Coupe as Jane, Elisha Cuthbert as Alex, Zachary Knighton as Dave, Adam Pally as Max, Damon Wayans, Jr. as Brad and Casey Wilson as Penny.

"You Snooze, You Bruise" guest stars Bobby Moynihan as Corey, Stephen Guarino as Derrick, Gunnar Petersen as the gym manager, E.J. Callahan as Mr. Olsen, Stephanie Allynne as Stephanie and Sara Rodier as young Alex.

"You Snooze, You Bruise" was written by Leila Strachan and directed by Jay Chandrasekhar.

Yay Bobby Moynihan! Yay Derrick! Boo Leila Strachan.

ivysaur12

Banned
Oh boy.

You know. Fuck. I feel the exact same way about that episode that I did about Cam and Mitch's kid storyline with Claire a few weeks ago on Modern Family. It definitely stung more than most comedies do.

G0523

Happy Endings was fantastic tonight! Sucks that
Max and Grant broke up though but this time it was for legitimate reasons. Hopefully he'll be back. They said he'll be away for only a month!

The food on the fan was hilarious and the sex dreams were kinda hot.

Finally, I've been waiting for that. The Penny/ Dave episode where they walked in the park together threw me for a loop, since I knew this ending was coming.

Awesome episode, everyone was on point. It was really a sharp contrast to the extremely cliche episode of Modern Family that was on before it.

Sad about Max and Grant though, but it was pretty much inevitable. At least they left it a bit open.

"only available in the United States" WTF!? I freaking hate these sites sometimes....

I'm in Canada, and I can watch it directly on the ABC web site.

anaron

So many amazing bits.

"Bitch it is 5:30/40!"

- the drip reveal onto Alex's shirt and fan gag worked so well for me.
- Penny's suicide attempt.
- rib-loving Alex continuity.

Adam Pally was looking fiiiiiine tonight.

It shows how surreal this show can be that a 10 second cutaway to a suicide attempt by one of the main characters had me laughing uproariously. What an excellent episode.

ivysaur12

Banned
Ratings were up again last night by 17% to a 2.8. Second highest ABC show (2.6 - The Middle, 2.4 - Suburgatory, 4.8 - Modern Family, 2.8 - Happy Endings, 2.4 - Revenge).

And especially good since this episode was ace. Cannot wait for the Kerkovich Way!

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Best ep this season so far, hands down. It's crazy how I didn't even know most of these cast members before this show and now I feel like I've been with them for years and years.

Black Eye Guy

Neo Member
Agree on best episode of the season so far, there were some really funny bits in this episode.

The Whores Bath was hilarious, the "Bitch it's 5:30" delivery was perfect, and the food falling off the fan was brilliant!

ivysaur12

Banned
Woah, this is pretty big. Easily the biggest award Happy Endings has been nominated for:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/modern-family-30-rock-bridesmaids-crazy-stupid-love-louis-c-k-lead-comedy-awards-nominations/

Series Modern Family and 30 Rock, features Bridesmaids and Crazy, Stupid, Love and Louis C.K. landed the most nominations, five each, at the 2nd annual Comedy Awards. Modern Family, which won best comedy series last year, is back in contention in the top TV category along with 30 Rock, Curb Your Enthusiasm (4 total nominations), Parks and Recreation (3) and surprise nominee Happy Endings. Louis C.K.’s five nominations include 3 for his FX series Louie (best performance by an actor in a comedy series, best sketch/alternative comedy series, best comedy writing) one for his special Louis C.K.: Live at the Beacon Theater and one for best stand-up tour. (Louie got a total of 4 noms, including best directing.) On the film side, Bridesmaids and Crazy, Stupid, Love. will suare off in the best film category against Midnight in Paris and Horrible Bosses (4 total nominations each) and the Oscar-winning The Artist (3). This year’s Comedy Awards will be held on April 28 at New York City’s Hammerstein Ballroom and will air on Comedy Central on May 6. Don Mischer is producing for a second straight year. Nominees were selected by the The Comedy Awards Board of Directors, which include Carol Burnett, James Burrows, Greg Cavic, Stephen Colbert, James Dixon, Budd Friedman, Jim Gosnell, Rick Greenstein, Brad Grey, Caroline Hirsch, Sharon Jackson, Blair Kohan, Martin Lesak, Steve Levine, Jamie Masada, Adam McKay, Jimmy Miller, Conan O’Brien, Peter Principato, Joan Rivers, Jay Roach, Chris Rock, Ray Romano, Rory Rosegarten, Michael Rotenberg, George Schlatter, Mitzi Shore, David Steinberg, Jon Stewart, Lily Tomlin, Sandy Wernick and Geof Wills. Here is list of the nominations by category:

ivysaur12

Banned
Fiscal Year of Penny, Suck it Taxpayers!

(This episode was exactly what a second season sitcom episode should do - show maturity and continuity with handling character relationships along with a little continuity in character development, and have great guest characters like Scotty come back for a random spot. Also, it was fantastic).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom