• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/768792-quest-warrior

.eJwNyEsOgyAQANC7cACQ4SN4mWaCBG20Q5kxXTS9e33L91XXONSiNpHOizHrzoXGqlloYKu6EbWjYt9ZFzoNimDZzvoSNpDBBetyhBRjdm6OdyUbLIQZJh9SCt6b91VZHh8c-tmb-v0BUQ8jtQ.kfJ77ghr4Bf-iA6Ah-T3TDh_G6c

My first take on quest warrior.

vs aggro:

-1 brawl
+1 sleep with fishes

Lower curve to get the quest done faster. A little more early game draw to make up for lower value cards. Stonehill defender tutors a second taunt. It is low tempo but high value card that doubles for quest. Dirty rat for brawls or removing key combo pieces. Many if not most minions are still battlecries and sometimes you'll be able to screw over their quest progression if not outright destroy their quest minion before they can use it.

Hallucination doesn't spawn patches. 1/1 body is relevant for rogue too.

Swash is just a meh card, often cut and would be but for patches. On the other hand, hallucination is a spell and it can draw you another spell. It can clutch you the whole game, think paveling book on steroids. Vs aggro you can get clutch heals or taunts, very often against warrior. And same for shaman for aoe/heals/taunts. Just some examples. It warrants consideration.

It's a bit surprising to me that people think Fire Plume's Heart is the best quest. Like, I rated it a 3 but I was genuinely close to rating it a 2. I just really can't see it being better than Jungle Giants, Unite the Murlocs or Lakkari Sacrifice.

It's a bit surprising to me that people think Fire Plume's Heart is the best quest. Like, I rated it a 3 but I was genuinely close to rating it a 2. I just really can't see it being better than Jungle Giants, Unite the Murlocs or Lakkari Sacrifice.

I think it makes your hero power straight up broken, and unlike justicar hero power it actually impacts the board and closes out games on it's own. It even does something warriors have been lacking a little lately, outside of cthun warrior, which is actually closing the game out before fatigue.

And if PW still remains popular, I think this deck archetype trounces it. It even has answers to finja with sleep with fishes.

I think quest warrior is tier 2 minimum. And while it may take some time to optimize a list, it'll happen. There could be 2-3 variations too because there are so many options. Even curator works because of beast/dragon taunts, although I think that is a bit high in the curve to work - especially the 8 mana dragon taunt.

I just think to myself that there aren't a whole lot of games where you win by outlasting a ragnaros. It happens for sure, but more often than not you just lose. And this rag can time it's shot to optimize the outcome. It might even warrant auctioneer beardo since it has a lot of cheap spells, but I don't think that'll be very necessary.

It's also possible it ends up being a little bit of a renowarlock of the set. Not necessarily always tier 1 but usually high up there.

Pooya

against Rag you often can go wide on the board and try to win, against this Rag you go wide, you can get destroyed by a board wipe but Rag is still there. It's very scary.

The reward itself is a 4/2 weapon for 3. it's immediate removal or damage, potentially 12 damage even. It's not some big idiot on the board or needing a half a dozen other cards to do anything.

Completing the quest isn't that bad since you have so many good taunts now, 5/5 with adapt is good enough could bring back tempo warrior.

You don't need to keep the quest against aggro, if you're going against hunter you don't need the quest. That's not how you win. Other quest decks seem all like they need to go all in on the quest or that the quest reward doesn't win the game.

I don't like Hallucination. The 1/1 body of Swashburglar was very relevant even before Patches came out.
Was a mainstay in Malygos druid and not because of the quality of spells it creates but the combination of both.

vall03

I am not sure how Emerald Reaver is the most controversial card.

It's like pre nerf Leper Gnome that does 1 damage instead of two to face as a battlecry instead of DR AND is a beast. If Aggro Hunter is a thing or even if quest Hunter is a thing then that card will see play.

I'm wondering about this as well. I thought the same thing when everyone else thinks that the card is filler garbage. I'm definitely going to use it on a Hunter deck, that Beast tag is what will differentiate it from Leper Gnome.

Between Karazhan and Gadgetzan it was in most lists I saw.
Hallucination adds versatility and spell count but if you want just more damage there's Jade Shuriken and that wasn't really picked up by the few remaining malt rogue players.

It's not necessarily damage you would want. Back then I would go hallucinate. Probably the same now but I'm not running maly rogue without emperor or conceal so it's a moot question there.

Even in a world where Patches exists?

I never liked patches in maly rogue.

Even in a world where Patches exists?
Maly Rogue doesn't really exist in that world.
It's not necessarily damage you would want. Back then I would go hallucinate. Probably the same now but I'm not running maly rogue without emperor or conceal so it's a moot question there.
Yeah it's a pretty moot argument but I'd still go with Swash since it's one of the best turn 1 plays.

Dahbomb

Hallucinate is just better than Journey from Below (or whatever that discover DR card is for Rogue). Hallucinate picks from class cards which are of higher quality than the average DR and you can get spells off of it which is big for Rogue.

And Journey was used in Rogue decks to do something on turn 1. That was generally over taken by the 1 drop Pirate though and then people never really went back to it when Patches came out.

It's not about judging the quest in a vacuum but how it fits into the game plan of the deck it's supposed to go in.

I think those other quests can be good too but Fire Plume's Heart has synergy all around and fixes some of the issues of Control Warrior.

Control Warrior is very good at handling aggro decks. With this new Taunt variant of Control Warrior that's going to be even more the case. If the opponent goes wide, then they can get Brawled, Sleep with the Fishes or that new 9 mana card with WW. Against aggro you win the match up without even using the quest meaning you can mulligan it away.

Against control decks... the Ragnaros hero power is game winning. It puts a clock on them and gives you more value over them. The fact that you can trigger the hero power FIRST rather than end of turn means you can plan your turn accordingly. Remember that Ragnaros vs Nefarian Tavern Brawl fight? Once Ragnaros got the hero power, Nefarian was pretty much done for and Nefarian had BUSTED cards in its deck and a busted hero power. Now imagine that Rag hero power going against regular decks with regular hero powers.

So CW naturally wins against aggro decks (which the quest is bad against) but CW struggles against greedier control decks (Priest and more specifically Warlock) which the quest takes care of. It's a best of both worlds. You are more susceptible to combo decks though but then you just don't play the quest and just keep armoring up. One of the few counters to this is being rotating out which was Sideshow Spelleater so you don't even have to worry about your hero power being stolen.

The only real way this CW gets beat is by a new, well optimized Midrange Hunter or an optimized Jade Shaman/Druid. These decks can develop big, sticky bodies quickly before the quest becomes active and even if the quest becomes active they can still put on the pressure enough to close out the game.

As far as the other quests go, I think Jungle Giants is probably the next best only because it's so easy to slot it into Jade Druid deck. You play a couple of 1 mana Jade Idols that put out 5/5 and 6/6 that's already putting you towards the goal of the quest. Main issue is that once you activate the quest... then what. Your minions cost 0 but only in your deck so you still have to draw them. Do you play Auctioneer and Nourish in that deck for draw? Probably I would think. You might even play that Fight Promoter card for more draw or the new Scout that draws a card and sets it to 5 mana since you are likely to be playing big minions. You can tempo out the opponent with heavy minions costing 0 but Jade decks already sort of do that with 1 mana Jade Idols.

I was thinking of Jungle Giant in a combo deck but that's unreliable. What if you draw out your combo BEFORE the quest is activated... it will not apply the effect to cards in hand or cards played before. So you would need to have the combo cards in your deck and then quick draw into them. Doesn't seem that consistent so I feel that the way to go with Jungle Giants is to just tempo out the opponent in the late game with flash draw cards... which Jade Druid sort of already does but now it's just better at it.

Lakkari Sacrifice I am now coming around to. Originally I thought that you wouldn't want to play a 1 mana do nothing card playing Discard Zoolock and that is still true.. but you don't have to. If you are playing against another tempo/aggro deck then you mulligan away the quest. If you are playing against let's see a Control Warrior, then you keep the quest and slow roll your opponent with your discards and then the quest reward. A control deck can eventually not deal with 6/4 of stats for free every turn, it's like a Jaraxxus hero power.

I had Murlocs quest as the best one before I saw the more recent ones so I always thought that was a good quest. Just depends on how good Murloc Shaman is in general.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I am not sure how Emerald Reaver is the most controversial card.

It's like pre nerf Leper Gnome that does 1 damage instead of two to face as a battlecry instead of DR AND is a beast. If Aggro Hunter is a thing or even if quest Hunter is a thing then that card will see play.

I mean, I don't think it's better than Fiery Bat. Not sure if it's better than worgen either. How many 1 drops would Face Hunter run?

Dahbomb

It's a reliable 1 damage to face that you can also top deck into in the late game.

Of course Face Hunter might not be a thing but if Quest Hunter is a thing then that card goes into that deck too because it's just a solid 1 drop you can play.

As far as how many 1 drops you can play in Quest Hunter...

Jeweled Macaw (Beast)
Emerald (Beast)
Alley Cat (Beast)
Fiery Bat (Beast)
Abusive Sergeant
Firefly (counts as double 1 drops)
Maybe Argent Squire
Maybe Worgen
Maybe Raptor Hatchling (Beast)

That's 16-18 1 drops (10 potential 1 drop beasts), so over half of the deck is filled with 1 drops. You can go even further with 1 drops if you want but I think this is what you want generally speaking especially the ones that are beasts which synergize with the rest of the Hunter cards.

Pooya

honestly I think dirty rat will get even better. you can deny lots of things against mage too. It's just solid in control decks.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I think dirty rat gets slightly worse because Reno and Kazakus were the prime targets and didn't usually have a 1 turn window to grab them. With those likely mostly out of the picture, it will be sightly harder to get really high value targets. Quest minions will not be held onto for nearly as long as kazakus or reno often were.

squidyj

It's a reliable 1 damage to face that you can also top deck into in the late game.

Of course Face Hunter might not be a thing but if Quest Hunter is a thing then that card goes into that deck too because it's just a solid 1 drop you can play.

Jeweled Macaw (Beast)
Emerald (Beast)
Alley Cat (Beast)
Fiery Bat (Beast)
Abusive Sergeant
Maybe Argent Squire
Maybe Worgen

That's 16-18 1 drops (10 potential 1 drop beasts), so over half of the deck is filled with 1 drops. You can go even further with 1 drops if you want but I think this is what you want generally speaking especially the ones that are beasts which synergize with the rest of the Hunter cards.

I would not sleep on glacial shard

Dahbomb

Quest reward minions are also easier to get a read on.

Especially the Murloc one. Shaman dumps their entire hand to activate the quest, only 1 card left in hand. Dirty Rat to deny the quest reward then Brawl.

I would not sleep on glacial shard
I had to look up what card that was lol.

1 mana 2/1 Freeze enemy. That's a pretty good card to be honest, definitely very annoying. Feels more like an Arena card though but we'll see. Though Glacial Shard seems to me like a card that you don't actually want to play on turn 1.

Szadek

Shatter could possibly get played in elemental mage thanks to Glacial shard, but that's probably a bit of a streatch.
There is no way elemental mage aren't playing Water Elemental and they might even play Frost Elemental.
Maybe it only works in wild, because they also have Snowchugger-chugger.

Dahbomb

Quick Shot, Emperor Thaurissan, Sir Finley, Flamewaker and Tunnel Trogg/Totem Golem would be my picks.

I don't particularly like Elise Starseeker either.

I found my list of cards.

List of cards I am happy are rotating. * denotes very happy. - denotes happy but not so happy.

Ragnaros*
Sylvanas*
Alexstrasza's champion*
tunnel trogg*
totem golem
Emperor Thaurisan-
Conceal-
azure drake-
Reno Jackson
Forgotten torch
Anyfin can happen
Sir finley***
Brann-
Living roots
Wyrmrest Agent
thunder bluff valiant-
Bash
Justicar Trueheart*
imp gang boss
flamewaker
quickshot
twilight whelp

Next rotation is gonna be interesting because we'll be in all post-standard card sets (except classic set of course).

I guess you can sorta make out a top 5-6 list from there.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, how long until Alexstrasza ends up being a Wild Only Card? I think its going to be a key card in ultra uninteractive Time Warp decks.

Also, I feel Bloodmage Thalnos will also end up becoming Wild Only. Its right there with Azure Drake as a card that doesn't look OP but really is.

Eddie Bax

Just played against three different classes in a row all running the pirate package, lost all three games inside 6 turns. This is not what a healthy game looks like.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

Jeweled Macaw (Beast)
Emerald (Beast)
Alley Cat (Beast)
Fiery Bat (Beast)
Abusive Sergeant
Maybe Argent Squire
Maybe Worgen

I think Igneous Elemental could be worth playing. The 3 mana 2/3, that's death rattle gives you 2 of those 1 mana 1/2 elemental tokens.

Q8D3vil

I really hate how they didnt give priest any decent new AOE or way to deal with a big minions to replace excavated evil and entomb.
For some reason i was expecting a better version of Holy fire (that only target minion) to deal like 8 damage and restore 10 hp for 6 mana, Holy fire used to be decent but power creep made it absolete and entomb is just a better card even though its slower.
That doesn't fix the broader issue. If a huge portion of the meta is either a group of decks running a package of cards, or decks specifically built to counter that package, that's not healthy.
I agree but its always been kinda like that. Secret palladin and old hunter were so much worse than anything i've seen right now. Not to mention the mech rng bullshit with tempo mage and then mech shaman.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I managed to buy 5k Amazon Coins, then buy the expansion with cash instead like an idiot (That, or the UI fucked up, but I likely just screwed up)

Oh well, I usually buy an extra 40 packs anyway.

cHinzo

Gonna stick with my 25 packs from gold and just gonna dust the cards I don't use. Refusing to give Blizzard money with the sad state of the Paladin class. D: Wish I didn't spend that 8k gold during Mean Streets of Gadgetzan, since there are lots of interesting cards in this one.

Pooya

I'm going to use my dust and craft whatever I like instead. That's more economical actually than opening that many packs hoping to get lucky. There are too many notable cards this time and you're not getting that from packs.

They are giving two legendary cards with sylv/rag dust, so that's not too bad. I can craft like 15 legs if I press the button without touching my golden cards, crafting epics sucks though.

I'm probably going to start saving for next set right away. 90 or so packs for me on each of my accounts, hopefully my luck aligns and I can play everything between the two. It pays to play on two servers I guess, you can diversify.

Miletius

My top 5 would be:

Tunnel Trogg
Sir Finley
Reno Jackson
Flamewaker
Justicar Trueheart

Pretty much all are based on mechanics that I don't consider that fun. So many of these are from adventures, so it just shows you the power of the adventure format (thus far) has been always far above the power of the standard release. That's why I'm not super upset that we are getting fewer adventures.

squidyj

My top 5 would be:

Tunnel Trogg
Sir Finley
Reno Jackson
Flamewaker
Justicar Trueheart

Pretty much all are based on mechanics that I don't consider that fun. So many of these are from adventures, so it just shows you the power of the adventure format (thus far) has been always far above the power of the standard release. That's why I'm not super upset that we are getting fewer adventures.

I think thats the weakness of adventures, they printed a small handful of cards but you want to influence the game and change things up so you want to make sure a lot of the cards you print get played.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I think thats the weakness of adventures, they printed a small handful of cards but you want to influence the game and change things up so you want to make sure a lot of the cards you print get played.

On the other hand, that is a huge BENEFIT for consumers. Since it means that the Adventures are the best money you can spend on the game. No random element. Guaranteed powerful cards. Great for the consumer.

I'll always prefer larger sets. I only got hyped for naxx because I thought the single player mode could be cool. It didn't meet a level I wanted. I also really hate the month long release.

Mulgrok

I really hate how they didnt give priest any decent new AOE or way to deal with a big minions to replace excavated evil and entomb.
For some reason i was expecting a better version of Holy fire (that only target minion) to deal like 8 damage and restore 10 hp for 6 mana, Holy fire used to be decent but power creep made it absolete and entomb is just a better card even though its slower.

I agree but its always been kinda like that. Secret palladin and old hunter were so much worse than anything i've seen right now. Not to mention the mech rng bullshit with tempo mage and then mech shaman.

I don't think you remember the old days correctly. Aggro used to average 7 turns per game, but now it is 5 turns. That is not better, that is much worse.

Szadek

I'll always prefer larger sets. I only got hyped for naxx because I thought the single player mode could be cool. It didn't meet a level I wanted. I also really hate the month long release.
Yeah, that true.
I much prefere the way shadowverse does it with a new expansion every 3 months.

As for adventures, I really liked them. Buying them was very cost efficient and I'm a sucker for pve content in card games.
However, it seem pretty obvious by now that they don't have nearly enough ideas for PVE content left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom