• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here is a GIF celebrating Samus and Ridley (no 56K)

KevinCow

Banned
Inferno313 said:
Haha. Although, shouldn't have Ridley also gotten a point for escaping from Samus with the baby metroid? If not a win for Ridley, it's definitely not a win for Samus.

/nerd

I was going to point out the same thing.

Come on, Mama. I appreciate any attempt to call out Other M for being a piece of crap, but don't take away the closest thing Ridley's had to a victory. He's not the villain here. Sakamoto is.

JaxJag said:
Is Nintendo the only company that recycles the same enemies over and over in all their games?

Yes, Nintendo is the only company to ever utilize the concept of a hero having an arch nemesis.

G-Fex

I don't know why Ridley has to have a emotional attachment to Samus of oh he killed her parents' instead of he's just a infamous consistent space pirate baddie of the series.

G-Fex said:
I don't know why Ridley has to have a emotional attachment to Samus of oh he killed her parents' instead of he's just a infamous consistent space pirate baddie of the series.
Because anime.

Madao

Relaxed Muscle said:
She already had a meltdown in the manga.

BeM0t.jpg

The fact she has another dozen of years later is even more dumber.

that's why i think Other M should have been a prequel to M1 if they wanted to portray samus like that.
but that would mean no baby since SM's events are way later and Sakamoto had a hard-on for that.

funny gif. the only bad thing is that we don't get to see Fusion Ridley.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
apana said:
Metroid should be rebooted.
that's pretty much what Fusion is. unfortunately they haven't continued the story after Fusion yet. :/

i'm really looking forward to the X being the new threat in the series.

Threi

notag
ugh.

other m made me despise metroid
fans.

watch the next one be some prime 1 remake or foolishness like that.

G-Fex

Threi said:
ugh.

other m made me despise metroid
fans.

watch the next one be some prime 1 remake or foolishness like that.

I don't play much zelda games but I hope they don't do anything stupid like they did here.

Hypatia

The Xtortionist said:
Maybe if you draw your own maps.

A pencil + some graph paper + Metroid = FUN TIMES AHEAD!

No, seriously; go play Metroid like that. It makes it so much more fun.

KevinCow said:
Yes, Nintendo is the only company to ever utilize the concept of a hero having an arch nemesis.
The only one eveeeeeeeeeeeer.

The combat was nice.

Yep.

Yep...

...kinda simplistic though

RobertM

I have never invested any time into the series, but why do you fight the same boss in every game? Seems like a typical Nintendo thing.

VideoMan said:
alien-vs-ripley-o.gif

OH GOD WHY IS SHE SCARED SHE ALREADY FOUGHT THEM THREE TIMES BEFORE SERIES RUINED
Yeah, the series as a whole was kind of ruined. Alien 3 is abysmal, Alien Resurrection isn't great either and both AVP movies are shite. Although that scene isn't the breaking point by any means. First two are still excellent movies.

The Metroid manga was pretty crap too.

Jin34

VideoMan said:
alien-vs-ripley-o.gif

OH GOD WHY IS SHE SCARED SHE ALREADY FOUGHT THEM THREE TIMES BEFORE SERIES RUINED

Your defense of Other M is Alien 3? Awesome stealth slam of Other M, bravo sir.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Jin34 said:
Your defense of Other M is Alien 3? Awesome stealth slam of Other M, bravo sir.
No, my defense of this particular plot point in Other M that's got so many people's panties in a twist is that the exact same thing happens in movies all the time and nobody complains about it. Ever. Why? It's a reasonable and realistic reaction for a character to have when confronted with a huge scary monster.

There's really no need to focus on this scene from Other M in particular, considering that there's a laundry list of issues with the game.

Jin34

VideoMan said:
No, my defense of this particular plot point in Other M that's got so many people's panties in a twist is that the exact same thing happens in movies all the time and nobody complains about it. Ever. Why? It's a reasonable and realistic reaction for a character to have when confronted with a huge scary monster.

But we do complain about it in Alien 3, that's part of why it sucks and it's such a huge disappointment after 2 excellent movies, similar to Other M. That's the irony is you using that gif. Even more ironic when you consider that Metroid's atmosphere was heavily influenced by Alien.

VideoMan said:

Other M - Samus has her power suit and is authorized to use the fucking plasma beam

Alien 3 - Ripley is unarmed and cornered

Different situations, people. I honestly have no idea how they can be compared.

Jin34

The Xtortionist said:
Other M - Samus has her power suit and is authorized to use the fucking plasma beam

Doesn't make sense in Alien 3 either, she was unarmed and cornered with the Queen in Aliens and she didn't act like that. Then in the space ship after they all think it's over and they are safe and sound the Queen gets out of the ship and tears Bishop in half and Ripley still doesn't lose her composure.

RagnarokX

The Xtortionist said:

Ripleys parents weren't brutally murdered before her eyes by a flying space dragon at age 3 who later suggested that he may have eaten her mother later either. The most personal the xenomorphs got were killing Newt and her cat. It doesnt matter if you're armed, PTSD is invasive.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Jin34 said:
Doesn't make sense in Alien 3 either, she was unarmed and cornered with the Queen in Aliens and she didn't act like that. Then in the space ship after they all think it's over and they are safe and sound the Queen gets out of the ship and tears Bishop in half and Ripley still doesn't lose her composure.

Ripley had the flamethrower pointed directly at the Queen's children, so she could get the girl back. None of the Queen's guards did anything to Ripley, because they were ordered not to. If Ripley didn't have a gun, she would have died instantly...like everyone else.

On the spaceship, she didn't have a choice. She didn't fight it hand to hand, she used the power loader. They all would have died otherwise.

The Aliens comparison doesn't work...at all. Not even with Resurrection. Nobody outside of Predator looked that close in an aliens mouth and survived, throughout all of the Alien films...

Samus has the equivalents to nuclear weapons and makes Ridley look hella free at all times. It makes no sense.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
RagnarokX said:
Ripleys parents weren't brutally murdered before her eyes by a flying space dragon at age 3 who later suggested that he may have eaten her mother later either. The most personal the xenomorphs got were killing Newt and her cat. It doesnt matter if you're armed, PTSD is invasive.
Especially after you've killed the space dinosaur 7 times. It's the 8th time that makes it scary!

Hylian7

So uhhhhh, why is the time where Ridley steals the Metroid hatchling count as a win for Samus? Explain that one.

BiggNife

Other M is almost a year old at this point, are you guys seriously still whining about this

Yes Other M's story was terrible, but the game itself is fun

Get over it

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I like the gif but I feel like you should have gave round 6 to Ridley since he got away with the Metroid larva. edit: What Hylian7 said.

Freshmaker said:
Especially after you've killed the space dinosaur 7 times. It's the 8th time that makes it scary!

Ridley's actually pretty smart. He kept coming back because he knew that eventually Samus would have a PTSD episode and become vulnerable. Though he didn't account for the blinding majestic fury of the one they call Manthony to save the day.

RagnarokX

Freshmaker said:
Prime games were pretty much taken out of the picture. Samus "killed" Ridley once before Super. She knew Ridley was still alive in ZM and knew he could revive in SM. She obliterated the planet his body was on in SM.

And she wasn't afraid. She was having a pervasive flashback. When she snapped out of it she proceeded to kick Ridley's ass.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
RagnarokX said:
Prime games were pretty much taken out of the picture. Samus "killed" Ridley once before Super. She knew Ridley was still alive in ZM and knew he could revive in SM. She obliterated the planet his body was on in SM.

And she wasn't afraid. She was having a pervasive flashback. When she snapped out of it she proceeded to kick Ridley's ass.
Only after she got Anthony killed. (From her perspective at least.) Before that she was cool with the whole go ly dwn thing.

Christine

I can sorta see what Sakamoto was going for with that scene. It's just that he'd already done the subverted apotheosis bit in Super Metroid, and done it better. Having the interactive experience that all your powers and abilities aren't enough to take down Mother Brain is a damn sight better than watching a cinema that attempts to communicate some sort of psychic vulnerability. It feels like the game is lying to you, because what you are shown in a cut-scene directly contradicts the power progression you experience in terms of the mechanics. It also makes everything that happens after that point feel anti-climactic.

When people object that PTSD is "out of character" for Samus, a popular rebuttal is that she didn't really have any characterization for this to conflict with. This ignores the fact that Retro spent three games playing the vulnerability->apotheosis arc completely straight and with great emphasis. Other M seems completely ignorant of this, which is fine. It just means that Metroid and Metroid Prime are different series and different versions of Samus. Nintendo's marketing can't be arsed to admit this, but I think it's the only viable interpretation.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Jin34 said:
But we do complain about it in Alien 3, that's part of why it sucks and it's such a huge disappointment after 2 excellent movies, similar to Other M. That's the irony is you using that gif. Even more ironic when you consider that Metroid's atmosphere was heavily influenced by Alien.
I don't ever remember people complaining about that scene in particular, or anyone being offended at all that Ripley might show fear. Alien 3 had all sorts of problems but that was never one of them.

And let me just say this now. My opinion is that Metroid Other M is the worst mainline Metroid game (Hunters was worse but I don't consider that a mainline Metroid game). Too linear, clunky detective mode segments, bad dialog and bad voice acting.

The only thing i think we actually disagree on is Samus' reaction to seeing Ridley. I like the idea of a video game character having human-like emotions instead of all the one dimensional machismo bullshit that plagues the gaming industry. In movies having more complex characters are applauded. In video games it's apparently an abomination. That was kind of the point I was trying to make when I posted the Alien gif.

Only good part of Other M was the cinematic rendering of Super Metroid's ending. Solid GIF, brother.

I'm all for a Metroid reboot. Too bad Retro is off doing other stuff at the moment, they were a perfect fit for the series.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So if this is where we're talking about Other M today, I want to say that the thing that bothers me about the story is that Samus doesn't actually do anything that resolves the situation. She runs around and kills monsters and talks to people, but all the stuff that actually saves the day at the end is done by other people.

Think about it. Someone else takes care of the problem in Sector Zero. Someone else stops the bottle ship from endangering Federation space. Someone else stops the main antagonist. Someone else deals with the traitor.

The Xtortionist said:
Ridley's actually pretty smart. He kept coming back because he knew that eventually Samus would have a PTSD episode and become vulnerable. Though he didn't account for the blinding majestic fury of the one they call Manthony to save the day.
He is truly the Other M.

KevinCow

Banned
In response to the, "But PTSD could come back at any time, you don't even know!" defense of the Ridley scene:

Okay. Even if we are going to ignore the fact that it's completely retarded and out of character for Samus, who has regularly fought building-sized creatures throughout her whole life, and in particular, has already killed Ridley only to see him come back to life again like half a dozen times already.

Let's just ignore all that. Let's pretend, for the sake of argument, that this Samus freezing up at the sight of Ridley is in any way a reasonable event.

It was still pulled off extremely poorly. It was poorly shot, overly long and melodramatic (just like pretty much everything else in the game), and Samus's whiny voice actor didn't do it any favors at all.

It also needs to be mentioned that the entire point of the cutscene - that Samus is recalling the time Space Pirates invaded her colony and Ridley personally killed her mother in front of her eyes - has never actually been shown or told in-game. ANY game. The only time it's ever been told was in a comic released only in Japan. Unless you're a big enough Metroid fan to have gone out of your way to read or at least read about that comic, the entire context of the cutscene is lost on you. It's just Samus freaking out at a big monster she's already killed like half a dozen times before, and isn't even the biggest monster she's faced.

A competent director would have incorporated this origin story into the game, and he'd have done it in a way that wasn't intrusive to those who already knew it, yet conveyed the necessary information to those who didn't. See, for instance, Batman: Arkham Asylum. How many times has Batman's origin been told and retold throughout the years? Did it really need to be told in the game? Is anyone who doesn't at least know the basics of Batman's origin going to play a Batman game? Probably not. But they did it anyway, and they did it well. They don't dwell on it for too long, but they get across the facts: Batman is Bruce Wayne, his parents were rich, they were killed when he was little, and he used his inherited fortune to become Batman and fight crime.

If I had to redo that cutscene, was forced to retain the same basic events and implications, and wasn't allowed to completely alter the entire game to have something like playable flashbacks, I'd go with something like this:

Samus enters the room, looks around. Ridley appears. Instead of standing there roaring and flailing about for a full minute before even doing anything, he rushes straight at Samus. She has enough time to develop an expression of fear and recognition before he knocks her down.

As she hits the ground, cut to a flashback or her as a child, laying on the ground in a similar shot. The camera zooms out a bit, and all around, we see the destroyed colony of K-2L. Pirate ships flying overhead, bombing the place. Pirates in the distance killing people. Bodies. Whatever it takes to get across that Space Pirates are invading the shit out of this place.

Then she sees Ridley standing over her. Looking at her like a cat with an injured mouse. She's obviously not a threat, and he finds her amusing, but is intending on killing her. Just as he's about to finish her, he's interrupted by being shot. It doesn't damage him, of course, but it annoys him and draws his attention. So he turns to the shooter: Samus's mom.

Samus sees her too, and says, "Mom?" or "Mommy?" We need to establish that this is, in fact, Samus's mom.

Her mom turns to her and just says, "Run."

Then Ridley skewers her with his tail.

As a horrified young Samus looks on, we hear Anthony's voice calling for Samus, starting quiet, slowly growing louder, until Samus finally snaps out of it and we cut back to the present... just in time to see Ridley knock Anthony into the lava.

There. We have Samus showing a moment of fear and loss of control without it looking as stupid as it does in the real thing, because it's mostly off-screen. We have Ridley actually being fearsome and deadly, instead of just standing there and looking scary for literally a full minute before even doing anything. We have some much needed backstory. We have far more information and potentially emotion packed into a cutscene of around the same length, possibly even shorter if directed well.

One thing I do love is Anthony saying, "I think I gotta teach you a lesson about subtlety!" just seconds after one of the least subtle visual metaphors ever. I like to think that wasn't in the original Japanese script, but rather Treehouse tossing in a message to Sakamoto.

RagnarokX

KevinCow said:
In response to the, "But PTSD could come back at any time, you don't even know!" defense of the Ridley scene:

Okay. Even if we are going to ignore the fact that it's completely retarded and out of character for Samus, who has regularly fought building-sized creatures throughout her whole life, and in particular, has already killed Ridley only to see him come back to life again like half a dozen times already.

Let's just ignore all that. Let's pretend, for the sake of argument, that this Samus freezing up at the sight of Ridley is in any way a reasonable event.

It was still pulled off extremely poorly. It was poorly shot, overly long and melodramatic (just like pretty much everything else in the game), and Samus's whiny voice actor didn't do it any favors at all.

It also needs to be mentioned that the entire point of the cutscene - that Samus is recalling the time Space Pirates invaded her colony and Ridley personally killed her mother in front of her eyes - has never actually been shown or told in-game. ANY game. The only time it's ever been told was in a comic released only in Japan. Unless you're a big enough Metroid fan to have gone out of your way to read or at least read about that comic, the entire context of the cutscene is lost on you. It's just Samus freaking out at a big monster she's already killed like half a dozen times before, and isn't even the biggest monster she's faced.

A competent director would have incorporated this origin story into the game, and he'd have done it in a way that wasn't intrusive to those who already knew it, yet conveyed the necessary information to those who didn't. See, for instance, Batman: Arkham Asylum. How many times has Batman's origin been told and retold throughout the years? Did it really need to be told in the game? Is anyone who doesn't at least know the basics of Batman's origin going to play a Batman game? Probably not. But they did it anyway, and they did it well. They don't dwell on it for too long, but they get across the facts: Batman is Bruce Wayne, his parents were rich, they were killed when he was little, and he used his inherited fortune to become Batman and fight crime.

If I had to redo that cutscene, was forced to retain the same basic events and implications, and wasn't allowed to completely alter the entire game to have something like playable flashbacks, I'd go with something like this:

Samus enters the room, looks around. Ridley appears. Instead of standing there roaring and flailing about for a full minute before even doing anything, he rushes straight at Samus. She has enough time to develop an expression of fear and recognition before he knocks her down.

As she hits the ground, cut to a flashback or her as a child, laying on the ground in a similar shot. The camera zooms out a bit, and all around, we see the destroyed colony of K-2L. Pirate ships flying overhead, bombing the place. Pirates in the distance killing people. Bodies. Whatever it takes to get across that Space Pirates are invading the shit out of this place.

Then she sees Ridley standing over her. Looking at her like a cat with an injured mouse. She's obviously not a threat, and he finds her amusing, but is intending on killing her. Just as he's about to finish her, he's interrupted by being shot. It doesn't damage him, of course, but it annoys him and draws his attention. So he turns to the shooter: Samus's mom.

Samus sees her too, and says, "Mom?" or "Mommy?" We need to establish that this is, in fact, Samus's mom.

Her mom turns to her and just says, "Run."

Then Ridley skewers her with his tail.

As a horrified young Samus looks on, we hear Anthony's voice calling for Samus, starting quiet, slowly growing louder, until Samus finally snaps out of it and we cut back to the present... just in time to see Ridley knock Anthony into the lava.

There. We have Samus showing a moment of fear and loss of control without it looking as stupid as it does in the real thing, because it's mostly off-screen. We have Ridley actually being fearsome and deadly, instead of just standing there and looking scary for literally a full minute before even doing anything. We have some much needed backstory. We have far more information and potentially emotion packed into a cutscene of around the same length, possibly even shorter if directed well.

One thing I do love is Anthony saying, "I think I gotta teach you a lesson about subtlety!" just seconds after one of the least subtle visual metaphors ever. I like to think that wasn't in the original Japanese script, but rather Treehouse tossing in a message to Sakamoto.
I think Sakamoto thought he was being fancy doing it the way he did it, but I agree that a full flashback establishing Samus' history with Ridley would have been best. Or maybe they just didn't want to show Ridley talking and didn't realize they could have just skipped Ridley's lines. I just think people blow the scene way out of proportion. And considering that Other M doesn't make sense with the MP games, she's only fought Ridley in the manga, Zero Mission, and Super Metroid before Other M. I'm sure most people would be happy separating MP from Other M anyway. I think Other M had a good premise with dodgy execution.

Top Bottom