• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here is a GIF celebrating Samus and Ridley (no 56K)

Tacitus_

Relaxed Muscle said:
She already had a meltdown in the manga.

BeM0t.jpg

The fact she has another dozen of years later is even more dumber.

Also of note is that during her final encounter with Ridley, she's at shocked at first (and Ridley gets a shot in) until she realizes that she's become so much stronger and then proceeds to whoop Ridleys ass.

r7Z6A.jpg

UFRA said:
Does 56k even exist anymore?

And if so, why?

Because high speed isn't available everywhere? That's an educated guess. Actually, I lied. It's no guess. See, I moved from an area where 56k was my only option just a year ago. I know that in that year, there wasn't some magical fairy dust sprinkled that brought your faster-than-the-speed-of-light service there. So the people I called neighbors still use archaic old dial-up.

They should probably kill themselves, I know.

Ahoi-Brause said:
Funny, because Alien 3 was a piece of shit movie and a huge departure.

GAF has awful movie taste, too? Will wonders never cease?

KevinCow said:
It also needs to be mentioned that the entire point of the cutscene - that Samus is recalling the time Space Pirates invaded her colony and Ridley personally killed her mother in front of her eyes - has never actually been shown or told in-game. ANY game. The only time it's ever been told was in a comic released only in Japan. Unless you're a big enough Metroid fan to have gone out of your way to read or at least read about that comic, the entire context of the cutscene is lost on you. It's just Samus freaking out at a big monster she's already killed like half a dozen times before, and isn't even the biggest monster she's faced.

A competent director would have incorporated this origin story into the game, and he'd have done it in a way that wasn't intrusive to those who already knew it, yet conveyed the necessary information to those who didn't. See, for instance, Batman: Arkham Asylum. How many times has Batman's origin been told and retold throughout the years? Did it really need to be told in the game? Is anyone who doesn't at least know the basics of Batman's origin going to play a Batman game? Probably not. But they did it anyway, and they did it well. They don't dwell on it for too long, but they get across the facts: Batman is Bruce Wayne, his parents were rich, they were killed when he was little, and he used his inherited fortune to become Batman and fight crime

I really don't want to derail the thread, but why does this standard not work with Krauser in RE4? He just appears and has this back story with Leon, and we are just forced to watch like any of us has any idea about what he's talking about. Despite this, almost no one brings this up.

*If you pull an "I played DSC before RE4" card, beat yourself with hollow reeds for a day, please.

Correctomundo said:
I really don't want to derail the thread, but why does this standard not work with Krauser in RE4? He just appears and has this back story with Leon, and we are just forced to watch like any of us has any idea about what he's talking about. Despite this, almost no one brings this up.

Because RE4 didn't emphasize plot and characters?

Metal B

KevinCow said:
There. We have Samus showing a moment of fear and loss of control without it looking as stupid as it does in the real thing, because it's mostly off-screen. We have Ridley actually being fearsome and deadly, instead of just standing there and looking scary for literally a full minute before even doing anything. We have some much needed backstory. We have far more information and potentially emotion packed into a cutscene of around the same length, possibly even shorter if directed well.

What also would work, if Samus would fight Ridley right ahead, but let her act cold, professional and strange, like a robot. Only after the fight, after she knows Ridley is gone and she has a moment of silence, then let her emotional breakout. This would show that she is professional, when it is needed, and can control her emotions, but still is human after all. Hell, isn't that what we see in Samus. While she is wearing the Suit, she is a some kind of robot, a killing machine, a bounty-hunter, whose primary is to finish her mission. But under here suit she is still a normal human woman with personal problems. This is also the story I would love to hear. How a person in badass suit, hides her emotion behind it and the battles she throwers her in. Show us the problems she has, but still how good she is as an high class bounty-hunter. Then you throw here in a situation, were all the old personal problems come back at once, take the suit away from here (why not have a Metroid-Game were she is losing parts of suit, instead of getting them back) and let her overcome most of the end without the suit. So see learns, that she not needs to hide herself behind it. What finally makes her much stronger with suit at the end, because she now uses her inner strength as well as the power of the suit. But with less whining and more subtly ...

VideoMan said:
OH GOD WHY IS SHE SCARED SHE ALREADY FOUGHT THEM THREE TIMES BEFORE SERIES RUINED

Unlike Samus, Ripley has always been scared of the Aliens and only fought when she knew that sitting on her ass is going to get everyone killed (and it did).

Alien: Resurrection is where shit gets stupid and she becomes this arrogant basketballing alien surrogate which ruins the whole concept.

Ironically (or not), Other M was a Resurrection of the series that didn't need resurrecting.

Gambit

While I understand the disappointment with Other M's story, I cannot agree that the title is so awful. Samus' agility was incredible and much closer to Super Metroid than the Prime games have ever been. The boss fights were great as well and the camera work was fantastic.

I am convinced that somewhere in Other M, buried underneath the baby and the deleter, is gamedesign that is worth improving on. So, let's have Another M. With better writing and more exploration that isn't confined to single rooms.

And if it's for Wii U, we could have the best of both world with the TV being the Other M point of view, and the controller Prime's first person view. We could keep the agility and the jumping, but also enjoy scanning and different visors via the controller.

PS: I love the gif in the first post.

PPS: FYI: Just so there's no confusion, I like the Prime games. Prime 1 was a masterpiece, yet I enjoyed Echoes even more. I am still in the middle of Corruption.

Gambit said:
While I understand the disappointment with Other M's story, I cannot agree that the title is so awful. Samus' agility was incredible and much closer to Super Metroid than the Prime games have ever been. The boss fights were great as well and the camera work was fantastic.

I am convinced that somewhere in Other M, buried underneath the baby and the deleter, is gamedesign that is worth improving on. So, let's have Another M. With better writing and more exploration that isn't confined to single rooms.

And if it's for Wii U, we could have the best of both world with the TV being the Other M point of view, and the controller Prime's first person view. We could keep the agility and the jumping, but also enjoy scanning and different visors via the controller.

PS: I love the gif in the first post.

PPS: FYI: Just so there's no confusion, I like the Prime games. Prime 1 was a masterpiece, yet I enjoyed Echoes even more. I am still in the middle of Corruption.

Wow, it's like someone hacked my account. You even love Echoes more!

It's scary, almost.

Gambit

_Alkaline_ said:
Wow, it's like someone hacked my account. You even love Echoes more!

It's scary, almost.

Sadly, I tend to forget even my own passwords, so hacking is out of the question. ;-)

I am very happy someone agrees. When it comes to Other M there seems to be this mob-mentality, where everyone just starts bashing it beyond reason.

Regarding Echoes: I again thought I was the only one. For me it seemed like exactly the game the developer wanted to make without having to set up a new engine or integrating a new controller. It was "Retro Unleashed".

Gambit said:
Sadly, I tend to forget even my own passwords, so hacking is out of the question. ;-)

I am very happy someone agrees. When it comes to Other M there seems to be this mob-mentality, where everyone just starts bashing it beyond reason.

Regarding Echoes: I also thought I was the only one there. For me it seemed like exactly the game the devloper wanted to make without having to set up a new engine or integrating a new controller. It was "Retro Unleashed".

Heh, whenever you have the time, feel free to give this recent thread a read:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434744

Is this game really worse than Metroid Fusion? Because every discussion I've seen here points me in that direction. Nintendo should just bring Retro back and pretend this shit never happened.

daakusedo

I hope there will not be that kind of damage control by giving metroid again to retro, they stop at time with three games in the prime serie. I'm for continuing with the 2d/3d of other m, its speed and its super metroid graphic style. Or a totally different thing.

Johann

Correctomundo said:

*If you pull an "I played DSC before RE4" card, beat yourself with hollow reeds for a day, please.

I thought that Shinji Mikami beautifully weaved the backstory into gameplay. The players learns all of Leon and Krauser's backstory (partners,fake death in helicopter crash, etc.) in the knife fight. It doesn't feel out of place since some of the information is new to Leon. However, the player has to balance reacting to Krauser's attacks while listening to exposition and new revelations which may distract the player. A very succinct yet tense sequence.

I just skipped the cutscenes. Game was fun to play. 7/10!

Though I guess if you actually care about Samus this game is terrible, she was really annoying. I really don't though.

webrunner

I would think that the one at the beginning of Super Metroid would have made it Ridley 1. Ridley escaped with the hatchling as intended.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Jigsaw said:
don't get it
It's mocking Other M by ignoring all the other instances she was, at first, pwned before the player (or a plot device, like a baby metroid) took control, which has happened quite a few times, and ignoring the part where she (again on the player's command) owns Ridley in Other M. Something like that I guess.

DuendeSmoker

Neo Member
webrunner said:
I would think that the one at the beginning of Super Metroid would have made it Ridley 1. Ridley escaped with the hatchling as intended.

I think the point is that she didn't freeze like a cow in front of a car headlights, like in Other M.

Rahxephon91 said:
I just skipped the cutscenes. Game was fun to play. 7/10!

Though I guess if you actually care about Samus this game is terrible, she was really annoying. I really don't though.
You can't skip the cutscenes the first time through, so I'm kind of curious how you did so.

jjasper

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Is this game really worse than Metroid Fusion? Because every discussion I've seen here points me in that direction. Nintendo should just bring Retro back and pretend this shit never happened.

Yes it is probably the worst game in the series (although personally I enjoyed it more than prime 3). But what sucks is that there was a good foundation for the game. The gameplay itself wasn't terrible and if they made a sequel where there were a few fixes like getting rid of where's waldo shit, stupid tacked on wiimote for missiles, and anything related to a story it could be great.

So in this thread people are once again trying to justify Other M by roping in the stupid mangas (still doesn't save the horribleness of Other M) and trying to justify Alien 3 as a good Aliens movie? This is rich. When Alien 3 released ever Aliens fan was disappointed that Fincher ruined the wonderful characters that Cameron developed in the previous film. On its own it's not a bad film but within the world of the other Alien films it's a stupid turn of events.

On the issue of Ripley flinching at a big slimy alien by her face? Yeah, that doesn't even deserve a response but I'll go ahead anyways. Samus has legendary alien armor technology that can withstand all kinds of punishment. Ripley is a fragile and vulnerable human with no way to defend herself.

On top of all this, you can't CAN'T really expect some shitty manga/game to even hold a candle to one of the greatest sci-fi narratives of the 20th century. This is what bothers me about modern games. They feel they have to integrate film narratives somewhere within the game, which completely ruins the experience. Case in point, Other M has done away with the spacial narration that Super Metroid and Metroid Prime developed so brilliantly.

EmCeeGramr said:
I hate Other M and this is still one of the dumbest things ever written.
Why? After reading it, it doesn't seem like a terrible textual analysis of the game. Granted, I haven't played the game yet, but I found the essay interesting to read. Lines up well with the notions of femininity/masculinity and passiveness/activeness.

(Thanks for the shoutout Kotaku!)

Thanks for the nice comments on the GIF. For the many people questioning my choice to label the battle at the beginning of Super Metroid as being a victory for Samus:

I think its down to how we interpret the scene. My perspective was that Samus turned up while Ridley was on the station, Ridley started to fight her and realising he couldn't defeat her and return with the Metroid larva, ran away from the battle.

If Ridley's immediate plan was to get the Larva back to Mother Brain, he could have done so immediately. The fact that he engaged Samus in combat, and retreated, compels me to count it as a victory for Samus.

(Yes, I'm aware that the station was also going to blow up, but regardless of that Ridley engaged Samus and retreated from the battle).

Oh, and can anyone link me to where Yoshio Sakamoto labelled the incredible Prime games as being non-canon? I need to read this stupidity for myself.

Mama Robotnik said:
Oh, and can anyone link me to where Yoshio Sakamoto labelled the incredible Prime games as being non-canon? I need to read this stupidity for myself.
As far as I know, it doesn't exist. Someone asked him if they were canon and he said that they were obviously in the same universe as the rest of the Metroid games but a kind of side story parallel to the "main" ones. From there it got twisted into "Sakamoto hates Retro and wants to make Prime non-canon."

Foxtastical said:
Why? After reading it, it doesn't seem like a terrible textual analysis of the game. Granted, I haven't played the game yet, but I found the essay interesting to read. Lines up well with the notions of femininity/masculinity and passiveness/activeness.

I just find it incredibly naive at times and it takes far too long to come to come to a conclusion when it already sums up the scenario perfectly in a two paragraph section: either it's bad game writing that doesn't realize how sexist it is due to hackish writing and a culture not traditionally known for enlightened gender politics, or it's intentionally evil misogyny. Instead of coming to the more obvious conclusion (throughout history, ignorance has been by far the worse offender in prejudice, especially in more modern times), it then keeps on going with the insinuation that it's subconscious woman hatred.

I'm all for calling out games on their messages based on what they unconsciously say (or especially don't say), but I've always regarded this piece in particular as amateur pop psychology wrapped in popular outrage at an unpopular video game.

Green Mamba said:
You can't skip the cutscenes the first time through, so I'm kind of curious how you did so.
With my mind.

In all honesty I just kind of forgot about the game's story. I just tuned it out. I'm not even sure what the plot of the game was. And so I just thought you could skip the cutscenes, because I don't even remember watching them.

EmCeeGramr said:
As far as I know, it doesn't exist. Someone asked him and he said that they were obviously in the same universe as the rest of the Metroid games but a kind of side story parallel to the "main" ones. From there it got twisted into "Sakamoto hates Retro and wants to make Prime non-canon."

Thanks for the clarification. I don't find anything offensive about him considering the Metroid Prime games as being a seperate story in a larger saga, if that's what he meant.

Still, given his portrayal of Samus, Ridley, etc in Other M, I wonder how extensive his supposed supervision of Prime 1 and 2 was. The Wikitroid article seems to suggest very minimal involvement.

I wonder if he actually played through any of the Prime games?

Johann

Mama Robotnik said:
Thanks for the clarification. I don't find anything offensive about him considering the Metroid Prime games as being a seperate story in a larger saga, if that's what he meant.

Still, given his portrayal of Samus, Ridley, etc in Other M, I wonder how extensive his supposed supervision of Prime 1 and 2 was. The Wikitroid article seems to suggest very minimal involvement.

I wonder if he actually played through any of the Prime games?

Here is Sakamoto's personal statement on his level of involvement in the Prime games.

Sakamoto said:
"With regards to the Prime series, if the team at Retro comes up with an idea that does bring a sequel to the series to fruition, I by all means encourage them to do that," Sakamoto told Game Life, continuing, "But I'm not directly involved with the Prime games. In terms of the Metroid series stories that I've told, the games that I've been involved in, I started with the NES Metroid and took it through Fusion."

http://www.1up.com/news/metroid-creator-talks-future-metroid

Christine

Mama Robotnik said:
I don't find anything offensive about him considering the Metroid Prime games as being a seperate story in a larger saga

I don't think it's offensive, but it just doesn't make any damn sense.

1. Ridley

Ridley was subsumed by end-stage Phazon corruption and completely vaporized. Then the whole leviathan seed was exploded. How did he come back for Super? Regeneration seems unlikely, if he could blithely come back from his defeat at the end of Corruption there should have been no need to clone-resurrect him in Other M as he had much more time to heal up and get out of dodge at the end of Super.

2. Space Pirates

The pirates are pretty messed up at the end of Corruption--not only have they just gone through a civil war and been subjugated by Phaaze, Samus does the wrecking-ball thing on their homeworld, disabling their planetary defenses so that the GF can take control. Granted, the GF does send a big chunk of their forces to assault Phaaze, but you'd think they wouldn't just hand the planet back to the pirates. In any event, they should be in no shape to be mounting raids on GF science facilities or re-establishing operations on Zebes.

3. Metroids

The pirates were growing them in bulk and carting them around the whole damn galaxy. There's no indication that Samus eradicates them on Tallon IV, Aether, or Elysia. God knows where else they are. The latht Metroid is NOT in captivity. Placing the Primes before Metroid II doesn't even really fix the problem because wiping them out on SR388 wouldn't really wipe them out if they've been unleashed on the galaxy at large.

4. The babythebabythebaby

It just hung around in a GF research facility, not growing to maturity, for 2-3 years while Samus farkled around with fighting against the Phazon threat? Why was it special, if there are other Metroids all over the damn place?

Sakamoto said:
"With regards to the Prime series, if the team at Retro comes up with an idea that does bring a sequel to the series to fruition, I by all means encourage them to do that," Sakamoto told Game Life, continuing, "But I'm not directly involved with the Prime games. In terms of the Metroid series stories that I've told, the games that I've been involved in, I started with the NES Metroid and took it through Fusion."

It sounds to me like he's neither invested in nor dismissive of the Prime series. He's not incorporating them into his games, but on the other hand it doesn't sound like he has any objection to Retro making another sequel in whatever direction they choose.

In other words, Retro's games aren't bound by Sakamoto's narrative and Sakamoto's aren't bound by Retro's. They're separate canons, and any statement to the contrary is essentially a PR dodge.

OH GOD WHY IS SHE SCARED SHE ALREADY FOUGHT THEM THREE TIMES BEFORE SERIES RUINED

At that point in the story, she is, to put it eloquently, fucked. Weaponless, and backed into a corner. At what point in Samus' situation is she in such a position? If I recall correctly, she gets the goddamn Plasma beam just before the battle.

Not alone that, but when Ripley does gear up for battle, what does she do? She goes and single-handedly pays those motherfuckers a visit. If anything, this particular example just paints Samus as even more of a wuss since she's reducing to a crying mess despite being armed to the teeth, while Ripley actually faces her fear without spazzing out

Mudkips

Banned
Green Scar said:
The Prime games are canon

we are not doing this anihawk, we've been through this too many times

Prime games are shit.
I'd sooner include Hunters and Hunters: Pinball in the canon.

The Xtortionist said:
Maybe if you draw your own maps.

And I love farming health in Metroid 1.

Drawing your own maps and exploring on your own is half the fun.

Sennorin

Banned
This thread makes me sad, because a very vocal minority keeps bashing a game that was one of best games of last year. First of all, let me say that this elephant-article is embarrassing and nobody should give it praise or agreement. Secondly, I think there are three parts about Other M which need to be talked about separately.

1.) The Story. It is super generic. But is it is neither good nor bad. It is a typical video game story, on par with 99,9% of video games. I feel like people that call Other M´s story bad are simply projecting their one problem with the game on all of its parts.

What might be up to opinion are Samus´ monologues, but I always wonder when people criticise "ugh, she thinks so much dumb, irrelevant stuff". Well, no shit. I guess you guys always hold deeply philosophical debates with yourself when you´re thinking so-me-thing. I found the monologues to be really fitting, as well as the voice-acting, which makes sense for a person that doesn´t have much contact to other people.

2.) The gameplay. Great. Fun. As a Metroid-game, it is lacking non-linearity, but besides that, it is so much fun to run around, fight enemies and defeat bosses. The change between third- and first-person view works perfectly fine, it just takes a bit in the beginning to get used to it. The movement of Samus Aran is exactly what a third-person 3D-Metroid-game should have been like. It feels good, feels powerful, and the further you progress in the game, the better it feel, the more powerful all of your actions become. What Other M truly excels at is combat. Evading enemy attacks by tapping the d-pad feels natural from the first time in the tutorial. Later on, it´s like dancing when you´re surrounded by several enemies. Charging her power beam and shooting it off into some space pirate´s face feels superbly satisfying. The best moments, however, are the boss battles. They combine the need of a strategy with the cruel quickness of a tense situation. You will not have to spam beam shots at your enemy for 10 minutes like in the Prime-games. Instead, you can kill most bosses in like 2 minutes and with just a few charged beam shots. However, you yourself can be killed just as quickly. The fine finishing touch is that most battles give the player optional ways of fighting their enemy, be it by choosing between close range or long range, or by incorporating different strategies alltogether.

3. Samus Aran´s portrayal. This is where the usual outrage of the very vocal minority stems from, and it is the most deluded point of criticism. I won´t even go into how ludicrous it is to call Other M "misogynistic" or sexist, it´s not.
For a lot of fans, Samus Aran was this emotionless, cold killer in space, never talking, always alone, ruthless killing all kinds of monsters. But Samus Aran never was like that. We never got a proper portrayal of this girl, because of the past consoles´ technical limitations. Or because the designers of all Metroid-games up to Super Metroid chose not to go into details. But you cannot start making up your own version of Samus, only because Nintendo hadn´t shown you firm information about her. And now, the creator of Metroid, Sakamoto, decided to show the world how Samus Aran was ... as a person. And damn, he did a fantastic job!

The complaints about the infamous/great show-down between her and Ridley in Other M stem from Samus´ reaction. When realizing who has appeared in front of her, she freezes, experiences a flashback to her past. Now, people complain about how Samus shouldnt react like that because she fought Ridley before. But that is only part of the equation. Samus fought Ridley in Metroid 1, but he survived. She then faced him again in Super Metroid, and he died ... for good, so Samus had firmly believed. Now, this is the monster that not only killed, but ate her parents. There can be no worse nightmare to any person. And in this one moment in Other M, the unfathomable monster reappears from the dead! A being, Samus thought to be dead for sure, for being dealt with. In this moment, she freezes and experiences a sting of fear. And now the important part: This never made her look weak or "weak because she´s a woman". It also didn´t change her appearance in previous games. All it did was portraying her as a more believable, more likeable person. She is not a some generic, random bald spacemarine that slays monsters. She is a human being with a real past, a tragic past, and realistic emotions. Other M managed to portray Samus Aran as who she is, and I like that Samus Aran.

Coming to an end (woah, that became a longer post than intended), I am almost 100% sure that Metroid: Other M is going to be one of those games where in five years or such A LOT of Gaffers will open topics with titles like "wth, why did nobody tell me how awesome Other M was?!" And all because of this vocal minority that keeps pressing on how crappy this game is. This great game.

KevinCow

Banned
Mudkips said:
Prime games are shit.
I'd sooner include Hunters and Hunters: Pinball in the canon.

what the hell is hunters pinball

Sennorin said:
1.) The Story. It is super generic. But is it is neither good nor bad. It is a typical video game story, on par with 99,9% of video games.

Maybe if the only other games you play are JRPGs and Metal Gear Solid.

Satchel

Banned
Still have no idea why Metroid: Other M gets so much hate.

Do people REALLY put that much stock in videogame stories/cutscenes? Or do they just say they do on internet forums?

I mean honestly, I rarely if ever sit there and watch cutscenes (unless they're forced), and even when I do, I forget about them when I'm done. I remember how fun the game was to play, not watch.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with Metroid Other M as a game. Plays great.

Christine

Sennorin said:
What might be up to opinion are Samus´ monologues, but I always wonder when people criticise "ugh, she thinks so much dumb, irrelevant stuff". Well, no shit. I guess you guys always hold deeply philosophical debates with yourself when you´re thinking so-me-thing. I found the monologues to be really fitting, as well as the voice-acting, which makes sense for a person that doesn´t have much contact to other people.

People actually tend not to think in monologues at all unless they're rehearsing something that they're going to write or going to say. Realism is largely beside the point; what matters is if the internal monologue is entertaining and/or advances the narrative.

Making excuses to rationalize why Samus' VO lacks affect is largely missing the point that regardless of how "believable" it is, it's very very boring. If her thoughts are unimportant or superfluous, we shouldn't be hearing them at all.

Satchel said:
Do people REALLY put that much stock in videogame stories/cutscenes? Or do they just say they do on internet forums?

I mean honestly, I rarely if ever sit there and watch cutscenes (unless they're forced), and even when I do, I forget about them when I'm done. I remember how fun the game was to play, not watch.

The game is very deliberately geared toward communicating a narrative that extends well beyond what's necessary to link together the segments of play, so it's definitely a fair target for criticism. Like, for instance, the suggestion that it would have been a better game had 90% of the cut-scenes not been present. Why have them at all if they aren't worthwhile or important?

Sho_Nuff82 said:

don't understand the use of Fusion as a bad paradigm but yes, it's way worse

Sennorin

Banned
TwinIonEngines said:
People actually tend not to think in monologues at all

Well, that might be because Im an extreme introvert, but Im having monologues to myself all the time, permanently.

Making excuses to rationalize why Samus' VO lacks affect is largely missing the point that regardless of how "believable" it is, it's very very boring. If her thoughts are unimportant or superfluous, we shouldn't be hearing them at all.

If you found them overly boring, that is your rightful opinion then. I, however, found the monotonous voice-acting very fitting to Samus. And the fact that she didn´t think about super important stuff all the time made her even more likeable and realistic. You know, I once watched an episode of Gilmore Girls. The dialogues were so terrible because whenever someone said something, the other person had the perfect reply already in the pipeline. And vice-versa. Felt so unnatural. Many games and movies make that mistake. Samus´ irrelevant "nonsense" felt refreshing and believable to me.

Christine

Sennorin said:
If you found them overly boring, that is your rightful opinion then. I, however, found the monotonous voice-acting very fitting to Samus. And the fact that she didn´t think about super important stuff all the time made her even more likeable and realistic. You know, I once watched an episode of Gilmore Girls. The dialogues were so terrible because whenever someone said something, the other person had the perfect reply already in the pipeline. And vice-versa. Felt so unnatural. Many games and movies make that mistake. Samus´ irrelevant "nonsense" felt refreshing and believable to me.

There's a considerable range between droning petulant monologue and the pat exchanges of a situation comedy. If you enjoyed the writing in Other M, fine--but I don't believe that it even rises to the level of competence, much less quality. As far as "believability" goes, why is it that nothing ever interrupts her train of thought? Everything is calm and quiet and people politely stop talking during her lengthy introspections.

Satchel

Banned
TwinIonEngines said:
The game is very deliberately geared toward communicating a narrative that extends well beyond what's necessary to link together the segments of play, so it's definitely a fair target for criticism. Like, for instance, the suggestion that it would have been a better game had 90% of the cut-scenes not been present. Why have them at all if they aren't worthwhile or important?

That's all good and well, and technically I agree.

But I still don't see how it affects aspects like gameplay/graphics/sound/level design etc.

The game was still great to play, and felt like a true Metroid title to me.

Top Bottom