• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey guys how you carry your keys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jealous of men's clothes. I wish I could keep my keys in my pockets. Or anything really. Only time I can is in winter when I wear big coats.
My wife always asks me to carry her keys when we go out (she doesn't carry a purse, thankfully), so I'm always wondering what is it about women's clothes and lack of actual useful pockets.

She also asks me to carry her wallet. :/ I guess I'm her purse. A man-purse.

These are my keys (I don't like big key rings). I carry them in my front left pocket; not classy at all but I just need them to do their job, not look good. They don't bother me at all.
AfAslhi.jpg
In my purse if I'm carrying one and left in the car otherwise. I can't stand anything more than my phone and ultraslim wallet in my jean pockets.
Wife also leaves the house keys in the car when she's not with me. So sometimes I have to open the door for her *shakes fist*.
Front left pocket because I'm not a heathen
Or a DoC employee.
nTTs3L5.jpg

Syncytia

Carbiner on belt loop and keys go in my back left pocket to stop the jangle. If I have a bag I'll put them in there, but I generally like to keep my keys on myself.

EDIT: Might try one of those Keysmart things. I have a couple really big keys, but I could have those separate, I guess.

My only really big key is my car key (I have an old car with a traditional lock), so I got the "extended" size. This is a picture of my keychain currently:

It's a bit clunkier than the nice marketing photos, but it still has a small-ish form factor and works fine. It comes with a fob that you can attach a traditional keychain to, if you have bigger/electronic car keys or stuff like a bottle opener.

And if I were to ever replace it I would opt for one of the many millions of Chinese/generic knockoffs. You don't really need to spend $15-20 for something so simple.

Pau

I was stunned to learn from here that women's jean pockets are mostly fake/decorations. Mind was absolutely blown.
And if they are real, they're very shallow. I might get away with fitting my keys, but certainly not my wallet or phone. Oh hell, even pads will sometimes not quite fit and awkwardly stick out.

My wife always asks me to carry her keys when we go out (she doesn't carry a purse, thankfully), so I'm always wondering what is it about women's clothes and lack of actual useful pockets.
Not sure why you're thankful that she doesn't carry a purse, but okay. :p I always feel bad about asking my boyfriend to carry my stuff.

Purses aren't all that bad. At least they let me take books or my Kindle for my commutes. Then again, it seems like most of my boyfriends' jackets have a inner pocket large enough for a Kindle of tablet. :mad:

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I have one of these

IMG_9873-533x400.jpg

I have a LOT of keys

fits very easily into a pocket (pants/coat), doesn't look like a mess if you want to put it on the table while in a meeting or something.

Always wanted one of these, but my dumb car key has a huge plastic piece on it. So only like 3 of my keys would fit into this thing.

Wife also leaves the house keys in the car when she's not with me. So sometimes I have to open the door for her *shakes fist*.

I usually bring the keys inside if I'm home to stay. We have a key rack that they stay on. I was talking more about when I'm out and around. My car has keypad input so I just use a PIN to unlock it instead of a key or fob.

The no-real-pockets thing is about maintaining a flattering silhouette. Seriously. It's that shallow.

Usually just toss 'em in my back right pocket unless I go somewhere crowded and I use the carabinder then place them in my pocket.

As annoyed as I was when my automatic door lock broke on my driver side, not having a remote on my keys is SOOO much better.

And if they are real, they're very shallow. I might get away with fitting my keys, but certainly not my wallet or phone. Oh hell, even pads will sometimes not quite fit and awkwardly stick out.

Not sure why you're thankful that she doesn't carry a purse, but okay. :p I always feel bad about asking my boyfriend to carry my stuff.

Purses aren't all that bad. At least they let me take books or my Kindle for my commutes. Then again, it seems like most of my boyfriends' jackets have a inner pocket large enough for a Kindle of tablet. :mad:
Me neither. A purse generally means she can carry something extra for me (such as my sunglasses case) if need be.
Purses usually mean I end up carrying them. Perhaps I'm just a walking purse rack ;_;

Seriously though, I mostly see hand purses as an annoyance (then again I'm a guy so what do I know). Shoulder bags/messenger bags are a bit better in that you don't have to carry them in your hands so I don't mind those that much.

The no-real-pockets thing is about maintaining a flattering silhouette. Seriously. It's that shallow.
¬_¬;
I usually bring the keys inside if I'm home to stay. We have a key rack that they stay on. I was talking more about when I'm out and around. My car has keypad input so I just use a PIN to unlock it instead of a key or fob.
We should probably change the locks in our front door so it's biometric/fingerprint; I honestly don't mind carrying keys but I feel like it's time (also pin/fob for car door).

Hoo-doo

Banned
There are people out there that actually hang them from the front of their pants? Come on brehs, that shit looks beyond stupid, you look like a highschool janitor.

Tone down your key collection to the essentials and just put them in your front or jacket pocket. Done.

Gawge

In my front left pocket - or in my bag if i'm carrying one.

I didn't realise people hung them on their trousers? Is it a joke?

Zona

There are people out there that actually hang them from the front of their pants? Come on brehs, that shit looks beyond stupid, you look like a highschool janitor.

Tone down your key collection to the essentials and just put them in your front or jacket pocket. Done.

Those are the essentials, other then one house key and one car key everything there is for my job.

Also I am continually amazed at how the tiniest differences in preference or culture turn into battle lines to rival any civil war you care to name.

icespide

Banned
front left pocket. I always strive for a slim set of keys. I had it pretty sweet back when I owned my own house. Just one house key and the key fob for my prius.

Now that I'm in an apartment I have, apt key, mail key, prius key fob, and giant remote for the apartment gate and I hate it.

oh and a Leonardo lego keychain

GhaleonEB

Plain small metal circle thingy, in my front left pocket.

front left pocket. I always strive for a slim set of keys. I had it pretty sweet back when I owned my own house. Just one house key and the key fob for my prius.

Now that I'm in an apartment I have, apt key, mail key, prius key fob, and giant remote for the apartment gate and I hate it.

oh and a Leonardo lego keychain

Pretty much this, but with a Wiseman from TJ&E instead of the ninja turtle. I have a key for each car (2), a house key, and a key to the shed. I try to keep it simple.

Pau

Purses usually mean I end up carrying them. Perhaps I'm just a walking purse rack ;_;

Seriously though, I mostly see hand purses as an annoyance (then again I'm a guy so what do I know). Shoulder bags/messenger bags are a bit better in that you don't have to carry them in your hands so I don't mind those that much.
Ah, that makes sense. I find them to be annoying too, but a necessary annoyance. I don't think I'd be happy about carrying someone else's purse when I didn't need to. :p

I only use hand purses for special occasions. My everyday purse is a small (subtly Batman themed) backpack.

Sky Chief

I carry my car key, front and back door house keys, mailbox key, and bike lock key in right pocket at all times and phone in the left.

I love how my new car has the advanced wireless key where I never have to take it out of my pocket. Just touch the inside of any handle to unlock and walk away from the car or touch the outside of the handle to lock. It also saved my ass once when I almost locked my key in the trunk at the airport after a long trip and the trunk kept popping open until I realized my key was in my luggage.

hermit7

Front left pocket typically. Front right is phone, back left is wallet.

Phone and keys are never in the same pocket.

phyrlord

What the hell is wrong with you? Do you put down the people who make it so you have cleared parking spots, clean walkways and the heating/cooling in the building running well? I hope the custodial staff in the building you work in takes the toilet scrubber and rubs your desk down with it, then just wipes it off with a cloth. Jesus christ, is your whole office scum?

I'm not making fun of those guys, they do a great job!. I assumed he works in an office of some sort and in my office we are all pretty close and we all make fun of each other for different shit. I felt like a guy in office casual jingle jangling keys around all day would be hilarious, like an episode of Seinfeld.

Ogodei

I only have four keys (car, parents' house still for some reason, my house front door, my house back door), most of the bulk comes from the car key and the remote that goes with it, stays in my pocket fine. I could see it being an issue for people who have many more keys than that, though.

It does look awkward in the same pocket as my wallet sometimes, so if i'm trying to dress professional, i'll put the keys in the inside pocket of my suit.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Right front jeans pocket - the little coin pocket. Bit of a squeeze but it stops them jingling around, and frees up the main pocket for loose change. My car key goes in my main right front pocket if I'm driving.

phone in left front pocket

Bsigg12

If I have a jacket on, always into a pocket in the jacket. If not, front right pocket for keys and wallet, left pocket for phone.

Chris R

Am I the only one who doesn't have their car key on a key ring? I only need four keys (2 for work, 2 for home) so those are on a key ring I keep in my pant or coat pocket, and my car key is just next to them, along for the ride, just never on the ring.

Fuchsdh

The bigger issue for me is where my wallet and phone are, as those are what wear little outlines into my jeans. So my keys switch between left and right front pockets, my wallet left and right back pockets.

Skux

Jean pockets are the worst IMO. The design hasn't changed in forever and doesn't take into account what people are actually carrying these days. Big phones in the front thigh or rear pocket make sitting down impossible without taking them out first, and keys on keyrings always end up digging into your skin. And nobody uses that damn coin pocket.

They need to make a jean with pockets on the side of the thigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom