• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeworld Remastered |OT| All of this has happened before and will happen again

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Seriously. When this game came out it was absolutely stunning and hugely ahead of its time. What's so strange is that nobody's done a 3D space RTS that even comes close to it since (discounting its sequels).

Personally I thought Nexus was every bit as good as homeworld, if not better.

buffelo

Neo Member
At the beginning of hw1r mission 3 I captured 5 of the ships that were attacking the cryo pods at the beginning, but they then never showed up in my fleet. Does anyone else had a similar issue?

From what I've experienced it seems like Turanic Raider ships are captured normally while Taidan ships are scrapped for resources. Could be wrong but that's what I've seen so far.

Lime

If anyone wants to see the original (scrapped) vision of Homeworld 2 with its megaliths, buildings, and so on, take a look at this rare E3 2001 trailer. The game was originally markedly different than what we ended up getting. Here's a brief run-down of what happened:

It's out there, but basically, Relic had to provide Sierra first pass at three games as part of the deal for funding the studio. Homeworld was 1, Impossible Creatures was 2 (Microsoft funded that, and that engine is where we got Dawn of War 1 and 2 and Company of Heroes 1 and 2 and all their expansions from), and Homeworld 2 was third.

Relic effectively burned through their contract cash, and Sierra wouldn't provide more. Thus E3 2001 and the Homeworld 2 no-show. Neither side said what was going on publicly, and Sierra got blamed for "cancelling" HW2, when Relic had stopped production and back-burnered it. Its more complex than that, and you could argue whose fault it was, but that's the gist.

IC came out late 2002, the funding for it keeping Relic going, and work on HW2 restarted sometime in late 2002. The game being simplified from the HW2 shown in the trailer. At the end of HW2's release, both Dawn of War 1 and Company of Heroes (then Brothers in Ams, pre Gearbox Brothers in Arms) were in production.

I helped out on contract doing a first pass of all Single Player QA in house at Relic. Primary QA was done at Sierra, but turnaround time was long so they brought me in (along with Bart Mazus/Pike to do MP first pass testing).

I'd love to read a comprehensive post-mortem of Homeworld 2, it really sounds like so many things got scrapped and that Sierra and Relic had many troubles between each other.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Oops, downloaded workshop content, thinking it was a patch. I hate sleep-downloading... zzzz......

Just so people know, Homeworld 1.0 (before the first patches came out) had a good number of bugs/mission breakers as well. Heh, I had more love than hate for most of those patches...

I think it was the 1.04 patch that killed my capture-every-capital-ship playthrough by introducing a limit on fleet sizes. I had gotten to the ion-sphere level without losing one, GOD was I pissed they did that!. But then again, I crashed my game when I tried to hyperspace out of that ion-sphere level... ;D

Lime

I did a comparison of the original concept art, the HW1 ship model, and the Remastered model of both the Scout and the Interceptor.

scoutcomparisonz0u14.png

interceptorcomparisongqu3p.png

Gearbox did good, imo.

So, I'm in mission HW1 mission 10 and I have destroyed the objective. There isn't a single enemy on whole map. And nothing happens. Mission hasn't eneded. Sigh, I guess I'll have to restart.. is anyone else constantly getting these trigger bugs?

Finished downloading and beat the first two missions, but I need to go to bed. It has been a while since I played them, so it feels like I'm playing a brand new game all over again. Tomorrow should be a lot of fun.

Dat music though.

Lime

And here's a comparison I did between the resource collector in HW1 and the Remastered (I didn't have any concept art of it):

resourcecollectorcompzuuyt.png

mantidor

At the beginning of hw1r mission 3 I captured 5 of the ships that were attacking the cryo pods at the beginning, but they then never showed up in my fleet. Does anyone else had a similar issue?

It's a new "feature", that mission doesn't let you keep the frigates, they are automatically scrapped for resources.

Pinktaco

Really been enjoying Homeworld 1, but damn it's kinda clunky and at times annoying. The asteroide mission had me redoing the previous mission. Some god damn bullshit.

I dislike how, atleas in the Campaign, there can be plenty of resources and yet with 4 collectors and 2 controllers I'm gaining it by the speed of a snail. Might just be a mission balance thing though, but the the collecting part becomes kinda useless at times.

Overall I'd personally rate it 8/10. A good game with some annoyances

Lime

Eurogamer's 2010 retrospective on the Homeworld games in case anyone is interested:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-12-retrospective-homeworld-article

There are games that we love to play and then there are games that we love to... well, just love. Above all others Homeworld has established a place in my heart that will likely only ever be relinquished should its achievements become the norm rather than the rare exception in gaming.

^^^ Nailed it. From here to the end of time when I think of great moments in gaming #1 will always be "Kharak is burning".

Personally I thought Nexus was every bit as good as homeworld, if not better.
Nexus was interesting but the story was lousy, the controls were abysmal and the balance was hokey. I remember save scumming one mission because the amount of incoming missiles was ridiculous and there was always a chance one or two would get through the point defense and wreck you.

Edit: It had its upsides though, it was really pretty and the combat tactics could be exciting sometimes.

Zia

Probably a silly question, but unfortunately I've only had about two hours to spend with the game so far: mission 2 in the first game, I've "salvaged" the support ship twice and haven't gathered the data. Do I need to salvage a specific part of the ship or is there a random chance to gather the data?

Yeah it automatically scales to whatever aspect ratio you are using with your desired resolution.

Yeah, I meant anti-aliasing override. I use AMD and SSAA override works fine for me. Not sure about Nvidia, but I would definitely guess it also worked (the game can either be in Direct3D or OpenGL depending on which device you choose for rendering in the options menu or the regedit).

Hmm, I can't seem to find the Sierra directory under regedit (and I opened any regedits I could find). Am I doing something wrong?

Lime

Probably a silly question, but unfortunately I've only had about two hours to spend with the game so far: mission 2 in the first game, I've "salvaged" the support ship twice and haven't gathered the data. Do I need to salvage a specific part of the ship or is there a random chance to gather the data?

You only need to salvage it once, then you have to defend the mothership after your salvage corvette has returned the "support ship black box" to the mothership. Check your objectives.

By the way, Is this your first time playing these games, Zia?

Hmm, I can't seem to find the Sierra directory under regedit (and I opened any regedits I could find). Am I doing something wrong?

Did you follow the path to it? And you have it installed right? Maybe you need to run it at least once for the registry to appear.

The path is HKEY LOCAL MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Wow6432Node->Sierra On-line-> Homeworld

In here you'll see screen height and width. Edit them and remember to select Decimal to change the resolution numbers correctly.

Here's an screencap of it (sorry about the Danish language in it)
gafb5u35.png

Zia

You only need to salvage it once, then you have to defend the mothership after your salvage corvette has returned the "support ship black box" to the mothership. Check your objectives.

Huh, okay. I haven't played in a couple of days so I'll have to see what's up. I think I had salvaged the support ship twice yet the one objective wasn't ticked off, which is why I was confused.

And I played the first game at the time of release but don't remember anything about it, so it's essentially my first time playing. Seems like a really timeless, tasteful game.

Did you follow the path to it? And you have it installed right? Maybe you need to run it at least once for the registry to appear.

The path is HKEY LOCAL MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Wow6432Node->Sierra On-line-> Homeworld

In here you'll see screen height and width. Edit them and remember to select Decimal to change the resolution numbers correctly.

Here's an screencap of it (sorry about the Danish language in it)
gafb5u35.png

I got it! I had to change the compatibility mode. This old game in HD is awesome!

Now, the only option I see devices is OpenGL. I would love some better AA, but I have an Nvidia card. Playing the classic version in widescreen is good enough for me, but if I can get better AA I'm sure going to try it.

Giolon

Huh, okay. I haven't played in a couple of days so I'll have to see what's up. I think I had salvaged the support ship twice yet the one objective wasn't ticked off, which is why I was confused.

And I played the first game at the time of release but don't remember anything about it, so it's essentially my first time playing. Seems like a really timeless, tasteful game.

In order for the salvage to be successful, you have to instruct a Salvage Corvette to salvage the derelict ship, let it attach, do its thing, and then return to the mothership. All this has to happen without issuing it any other order, including moving or docking. Doing so will reset the state of the corvette so to speak, and will not grant completion.

Man I'm trying to play through Homeworld 1 campaign and the game is randomly shutting down my pc during cutscenes. Its first happened when the camera pans around the mothership for the first time(happened twice) and now again with another cutscene after your capture that first frigate and the recording plays(Happened twice again)

Anyone any idea what this could be? Normally I'd think overheating but my cpu rarely gets over 50c and my GPU temp at the time was about 71c. I turned on v-sync which lowered my gpu temp to about 45-50c during this scene but it still just shut down my pc.

Specs are

Intel i7 2600K at stock clock
GTX 780Ti
16GB Ram
Playing at 1440p with all video settings at max(apart from max texture size which i moved back to 4096)

Man this is annoying I want to be able to watch the cut scenes and not have to skip through them

Lime

Matarese171, have you tried verifying integrity of the game cache just to be sure that you got all your files?

Otherwise, maybe the DoF effect is doing something if you've set it to Cinematics only.

I got it! I had to change the compatibility mode. This old game in HD is awesome!

Now, the only option I see devices is OpenGL. I would love some better AA, but I have an Nvidia card. Playing the classic version in widescreen is good enough for me, but if I can get better AA I'm sure going to try it.

You can change the renderer to Direct3D in the Options or the d3dtoselect registry in REGEDIT to whatever the file is called in the HW directory. I can't remember exactly how I got it to work. Perhaps Nvidia AA will work through that render.

Giolon

I asked on the official forums what the Dual Lights shadows options does, and got a dev response this morning:

BitVenom said:
More shadows (Key & Fill lights both cast shadows) - BUT - those shadows come from the same pool of resources (however big your shadow buffer is, which isn't an in-game setting) - leading to sometimes lower-resolution shadows (more users of the same resource pool). I prefer it on (I should, I wrote it) because it helps with 'back light' normal maps where things light even facing away.

We'll have a settings guide soon - I'll be able to write one with screenshots after we get a patch out for critical issues...

THanks for the reply. I verified game cache and DoF was set to just cutscenes. I turned it off and it still shuts down my pc at the exact same moment in the same cut scene. Might just have to skip them if I want to go futher.

Tried a bit of Googling hoping someone else has a similar issue but havn't found anything.

Edit : Anyway I E-Mailed off Gearbox support to see if they can shed any light on the subject.

There isn't a option to speed up the time in HW1, or did I miss it?
I have much fun but, sometimes it's just so slow. Collecting everything at the end of a mission or just waiting till the slow destroyers get into the strategically position I want seems to take forever.

Another thing I don't like is that I have a feeling that once I loose an essential part of my fleet, there is no way to come back in the game. If I barely survive a mission, I will surely be killed in the next or the one after that. So it often feels like trial and error: Oh there's this trap/ambush in this mission. --> reload and go there prepared.

And the AI of my ships sometimes let me go mad.
Sometimes when I want to move a formation to attack the enemy, the faster ships just break out of the formation to get slaughtered while the bigger ships start flying in circles and show no signs of engaging in combat. On the other hand the reinforcements I constructed and gather at the mother-ship love to shoot down captured ships. "Oh there's a helpless heavy cruiser towed by 6 (or was it 8?) salvage ships. Let's shoot it to pieces... I don't think it could be useful"

By now, I got used to set the rallypoint a little further away, but especially when the mother-ship under attack, it would be really useful if my ships would shoot the enemies actually attacking.

But I still love it somehow... I just wish it would be a little easier or more forgiving

Lime

On the other hand the reinforcements I constructed and gather at the mother-ship love to shoot down captured ships. "Oh there's a helpless heavy cruiser towed by 6 (or was it 8?) salvage ships. Let's shoot it to pieces... I don't think it could be useful"

Set the tactics of your units to evasive or defensive.

Lime

That's interesting. My manual looks like this:

Mine too!

I wanted to take a picture but the manual is back in my parents house and I don't have it here.

Probably because mine is EU version, I assume.

It was so great sitting and reading it back then. before I even had begun playing the game itself I had no idea what was going to happen and it made mission 3 that much more surprising and impactful

I wish they had done more with the CE manual and included the lore in HW2. I even contacted Brian Martell about it back when Gearbox acquired the license and he told he would get back to me. But he never did :(

Savitar

Only could play the tutorial so far due to my mouse being a fickle thing, getting a new one so I don't have that issue again.

If any Canadian fans still wanted the CE they still got three on amazon.ca as of this writing.

mingus

this happened to me, i tried to be cute by not building a probe and just sending a salvage corvette there from the get go. it's always worked for hw1 but remaster i guess is really fussy about completing objectives in the order they're given. i got the data and they played the data, then later fleet intelligence was like "we need to find out what happened to them, send a salvage corvette to get the data," and that's when my repeated sending of salvage corvettes to get the data failed to advance the game and i had to restart the mission.

I wish there wasn't such a huge jump from the first HUD scale to the second. Everything in HUD scale one is perfect except for the bottom left corner. I wish HUD scale one just had bigger ship icons.

I was eight when HW1 released so I never got a chance to play it until now. I am so thoroughly enjoying it. Gives me an Ender's Game vibe. Can we get an Ender's Game mod? International Fleet vs Buggers.

I'm playing HW1 Classic and I've run into a bug regarding a bit of dialog. In mission 4, when
the Turanic mothership starts retreating,
I am warned that they will warn the "Kushan fleet" if they escape. But... I'm playing as the Kushan.

Anyone else experience this?

Only could play the tutorial so far due to my mouse being a fickle thing, getting a new one so I don't have that issue again.

If any Canadian fans still wanted the CE they still got three on amazon.ca as of this writing.

Thanks for letting us know. Just ordered one. They had 2 left before I ordered so probably one left now.

Giolon

I'm playing HW1 Classic and I've run into a bug regarding a bit of dialog. In mission 4, when
the Turanic mothership starts retreating,
I am warned that they will warn the "Kushan fleet" if they escape. But... I'm playing as the Kushan.

Anyone else experience this?

Hah - I didn't catch that. Now I want to replay the mission.

Lime

Some bugs/changes I noticed while playing Gardens of Kardesh:

• The drones in the drone frigates are bugged. Not only is the animation when de-activivating borked (they don't hit the chambers), but the drones also explode (without causing damage to the frigate) while they are flying down into the chambers.
  • Swarmers will automatically focus only on your drones if you deploy them. This means that all your other strike craft won't get overwhelmed or wiped out.
  • The
    Kardeshi mothership no longer hyperjumps away when being attacked. Instead it explodes and a new one shows up at the other place.
  • Frigates are no longer difficult to kill. Instead, they are more fragile and weak like HW2 with paper-thin armor.

EDIT: Here's an example of what I'm talking about in regards to the drone frigate (notice the explosions and the faulty movement of the drones):

244160_2015-03-01_001xyui3.png

NolbertoS

Alright GAF, bought the CE recently on a whim, but am prepared for some RTS in space. Is there a GAF group to join?? Ali haven't play a RTS game in awhile since Comman and Conquer.

Hah - I didn't catch that. Now I want to replay the mission.

So I did some searching through Youtube, and every playthrough I found had this same audio discrepancy at the end of mission 4 in the classic Homeworld. I guess it's a pretty common issue.

Giolon

Some bugs/changes I noticed while playing Gardens of Kardesh:

• The
    Kardeshi mothership no longer hyperjumps away when being attacked. Instead it explodes and a new one shows up at the other place.

This didn't happen to me when I played this mission this evening. It all worked properly for me, but there are apparently known issues w/ that mission.

Speaking of known issues, I can't see the safe dust clouds in the
radiation mission
. It's listed as a known issue on their support pages. :-/ I may have to put my playthrough on hold until they can come up with something.

But yeah, I have really noticed that the balance is off in some cases. Kardeshi Swarmers just chewed the shit out of all my strike craft. They ended up being completely useless for me in that mission and I had to go all corvettes and frigates.

Also, Defenders had dubious value before, now they have near-none. Same with Attack Bombers (one particular mission excepting).

Lime

But yeah, I have really noticed that the balance is off in some cases. Kardeshi Swarmers just chewed the shit out of all my strike craft. They ended up being completely useless for me in that mission and I had to go all corvettes and frigates.

Also, Defenders had dubious value before, now they have near-none. Same with Attack Bombers (one particular mission excepting).

I lost *all* my interceptors in Gardens of Kardesh and my backup squad of 10 defenders got destroyed immediately once the swarmers had decimated my interceptors.

But 2 drone frigates and a bunch of corvettes saved my ass.

Lime

I'm at the Supernova Station now and the music is sooo good. I love it!

My Collectors Edition finally arrived. Here are some pictures with A4 paper for scale

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64319260@N06/sets/72157650689376550/

:)

Looks really great! I'm actually surprised with the quality of the model and the painting job is more than decent. Somehow I expected that the lights would be cooler and the model itself worse, yet the opposite came true - the model is nice, the lights are kind of shoddy when shining through the dense plastic.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I know it's Sunday but any word on a patch? I'm wondering if I should just pack up Homeworld 1 for the time being and play 2 and wait for the first one to get fixed up. I'm assuming 2 isn't affected by any of the strange bugs as they stem from the same engine it's built upon right? :p

Unless there's some huge super spoilery stuff in 2 that I shouldn't know about when I play 1? Then again I was so interested in the universe that I spent a few days reading wiki entries a few years back, but mostly forgotten these.

Lime

The only thing you'll be spoiling yourself with is what happens to the Kushan in Hw1. Here it is in case you want to jump into HW2:
they reach Hiigara

Otherwise, the argument against going into HW2 is that you're going to lack the continuity of a single play through of HW1. Pacing, climax and continuity matter to me, and if I leave a game midway through, I'll have lost those things of what makes a good story.

If you don't care about such things, you can easily go into HW2. The relation between the two games in terms of story references is minimal, as far as I can recall.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The only thing you'll be spoiling yourself with is what happens to the Kushan in Hw1. Here it is in case you want to jump into HW2:
they reach Hiigara

Otherwise, the argument against going into HW2 is that you're going to lack the continuity of a single play through of HW1. Pacing, climax and continuity matter to me, and if I leave a game midway through, I'll have lost those things of what makes a good story.

If you don't care about such things, you can easily go into HW2. The relation between the two games in terms of story references is minimal, as far as I can recall.

If I do it I'll just restart HW1, only cleared the first 4 missions.

Top Bottom