• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeworld Remastered |OT| All of this has happened before and will happen again

Portman

The artbook is going on sale right this minute with limited quantities. There'll most likely be a second printing in case you miss it now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0985902248/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Edit: it's no longer limited in stock!

Oh My God don't give me a heart attack like this. WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME INTERNET!

Thanks for the heads up! But what's this Bluecanvas seller?

Ah so looking at your post and then the 1 option to buy it I think I see what the publisher is doing. I wonder if they are shipping the books to Amazon and will sale them as a 3rd party seller instead of directly sold by Amazon. I'm wanting to recall the Journey art book was sold that way if my memory is correct.

Now to figure out if I should order 2 of these just to keep one sealed up. *looks at art book shelf full of untouched books* Well, it is Homeworld but they are $60 too...

Lime

For the really hardcore Homeworld fans :lol

81ubkEt5O-L._UL1500_.jpg
81ygdm1y2uL._UL1500_.jpg

I'll never get the appeal of video game apparel.

Giolon

Oh My God don't give me a heart attack like this. WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME INTERNET!

Ah so looking at your post and then the 1 option to buy it I think I see what the publisher is doing. I wonder if they are shipping the books to Amazon and will sale them as a 3rd party seller instead of directly sold by Amazon. I'm wanting to recall the Journey art book was sold that way if my memory is correct.

Now to figure out if I should order 2 of these just to keep one sealed up. *looks at art book shelf full of untouched books* Well, it is Homeworld but they are $60 too...

Blue canvas is a book publisher. They also published the art of journey. See:

Ah, I see. Well, I bought one!

Tips on mission 5? I'm getting wrecked.

Mission 5 is pretty straightforward - build a fleet that can beat theirs. Take note of what counters what. To take on all their fighters, Corvettes will serve you well, as will Assault Frigates. Interceptors seem pretty weak at this point. I don't remember if you have Ion Frigates yet at this point, but it will help you take out their Frigates faster.

Odds are, you may just need more ships.

And remember - Salvage Corvettes - anything you can steal, you don't have to pay resources for and you're denying the enemy troops while bolstering your own! Don't feel ashamed to go back to the previous mission so you can finish it better with better knowledge of what's coming.

Mission 5 Homeworld Remastered:

I captured the enemy carrier, along with the two battleships.

Thing is..

capturing the carrier was the last thing to do.. and when I finally do so, as soon as it pops out of the mother ship..

it starts spitting out 15 or so enemy scouts in the middle of my fleet.

...the carrier that I captured... that I CAN control..vomiting out enemy scouts like a swarm of bees.

needless to say, I was laughed till it hurt.

I wish I recorded it.

Speculator

BioWare Austin
Mission 5 Homeworld Remastered:

I captured the enemy carrier, along with the two battleships.

Thing is..

capturing the carrier was the last thing to do.. and when I finally do so, as soon as it pops out of the mother ship..

it starts spitting out 15 or so enemy scouts in the middle of my fleet.

...the carrier that I captured... that I CAN control..vomiting out enemy scouts like a swarm of bees.

needless to say, I was laughed till it hurt.

I wish I recorded it.

Happened to me too, it's last death throes lol.

wrongway

I feel bad that I've hardly had time to play this. Only up to Diamond Shoals in HW1R, and played a skirmish to confirm that I have no idea what I'm doing any more (as if I've ever been good at RTS). Kinda surprised to see the new multiplayer is just an oldschool barebones lobby though. I would've figured they'd have some simple matchmaking, giving that it's 2015 and all. Maybe in the future?

lol, same thing happened to me. I blew up every other ship on the map, then towed home a couple destroyers and the carrier for my victory. The converted carrier pops out and starts barfing out a swarm of scouts, making my whole fleet go berserk. XD

Lime

Interesting piece of trivia about the ending of HW1 (spoilers of course) from Arinn Dembo, writer of much of the lore in the manual:

It's actually through her that I learned that originally Kharan S'jet was not supposed to step out of the Mothership upon the liberation of Hiigara as the processes meant to make her the living core of the Mothership was originally meant to be irreversible to add even more to the thematic of exodus akin to Moses who lead his people to the promised land but could not join them there.

Relic felt that was too dark and gloomy of an ending and decided to go with the one we know of where she actually managed to join her people on Hiigara.

mantidor

Interesting piece of trivia about the ending of HW1 (spoilers of course) from Arinn Dembo, writer of much of the lore in the manual:

It's actually through her that I learned that originally Kharan S'jet was not supposed to step out of the Mothership upon the liberation of Hiigara as the processes meant to make her the living core of the Mothership was originally meant to be irreversible to add even more to the thematic of exodus akin to Moses who lead his people to the promised land but could not join them there.

Relic felt that was too dark and gloomy of an ending and decided to go with the one we know of where she actually managed to join her people on Hiigara.

That last scene is very poignant. The cutscenes don't mention it but the process being irriversible was very clear in the manual as far as I recall, so when she at the end "survives" extraction from the core is something you didn't expect.

It's unfortunate Relic couldn't realize HW2 story the way they wanted, while it's ok, I feel it had a lot of undeveloped potential and feels disjointed from the first game. When Karan is going to " lead them again" I was like... "why?, wasn't that a one time thing?".

Lime

That last scene is very poignant. The cutscenes don't mention it but the process being irriversible was very clear in the manual as far as I recall, so when she at the end "survives" extraction from the core is something you didn't expect.

It's unfortunate Relic couldn't realize HW2 story the way they wanted, while it's ok, I feel it had a lot of undeveloped potential and feels disjointed from the first game. When Karan is going to " lead them again" I was like... "why?, wasn't that a one time thing?".

I totally agree with both HW1 and HW2. The former is actually a nice surprise to an otherwise melancholic experience. And in regards to the latter, I also think that the whole "
hyperspace core gave her immortality or prolonged life
" was also kind of unbelievable and unnecessary. A lot of the execution of the actual script in HW2 was disjointed and messy.

If anyone is interested in reading how the actual story in HW2 "should have been", check out the original Dust Wars script:

I′m proud to present collection of early Homeworld 2 scripts. Major part of it is Dust Wars documentation. script of very early version of Homeworld 2. according to some fans "what Homeworld 2 should be". for me it′s just very early draft. and I′m not so sure if thats what Relic really wanted HW2 to be. but for sure it′s the direction game would take if not Sierra cutting out the founds.
Additionally you can find here script from November 2002. it contains additional details related to HW2 (not canon however). I like much the concept of first mission start from this docs... what a pity it didn′t happen in game :/

Index of files:
Adam′s Homeworld Empire Script.pdf
Background.pdf
Email from Rob.pdf
Homeworld 2 Story Progress 10 pager Final_bullets.pdf
New story spin.pdf
HW2 SCRIPT november 2002.pdf

• 1. On the walls Progenitor glyphs pulse (just like the writing on the
    ONE RING when exposed to fire).

2. “You can beam me up any time now, Scotty…”

3. Vaygr fleet converging on Hiigara — think the Battle for
    Endor.

Neeeeerds.

The supernova mission was very easy once I turned AA off. I easily captured the cruiser, but didnt bother trying to get the carrier or the destroyers.

ACE 1991

Ah, I see. Well, I bought one!

Mission 5 is pretty straightforward - build a fleet that can beat theirs. Take note of what counters what. To take on all their fighters, Corvettes will serve you well, as will Assault Frigates. Interceptors seem pretty weak at this point. I don't remember if you have Ion Frigates yet at this point, but it will help you take out their Frigates faster.

Odds are, you may just need more ships.

And remember - Salvage Corvettes - anything you can steal, you don't have to pay resources for and you're denying the enemy troops while bolstering your own! Don't feel ashamed to go back to the previous mission so you can finish it better with better knowledge of what's coming.

Thanks for the response. However, won't going back to build more ships in mission 4 just make mission 5 harder?

amb7247

Neo Member
Has anyone had an issue where you would tell your probes, more specifically, your collectors to go somewhere, and they would try to move only for them to stay in place. Usually if I click nearby, I can get them out of the rut then they begin to move.

mantidor

Probes can only be deployed once, you cannot change course or move them once they are deployed.

Most of this stuff was explained in the manual, since back then people did read the manuals, it's a shame they don't even have a simple text version of it with this release.

Portman

Dang the artbooks sure were a quick turnaround! They went up for order last night and I've already gotten a shipping notification for mine. This weekend will be neat to just start up the soundtrack and flip through the artbook (hopefully there are production notes and comments on the art too).

Damn, that sold out way too fast, couldn't even order it... I do hope they reprint the artbook! And I hope they do put out a soundtrack CD set, a full OST I mean, not those half things or the crime that was Dark Souls 2 "sountrack" where most of the songs were cut brutally compared to the full track rips from within the game files.

So, any words on an ETA for fixes/patches? I guess they may try to tackle most bugs in one swing.

Giolon

Ok that 2D Homeworld gif is amazing. I want it to be real!

Thanks for the response. However, won't going back to build more ships in mission 4 just make mission 5 harder?
To some degree it could make it harder via the dynamic difficulty balancing between mission - but cases where it helps are when you can build specific counters to what you know will be attacking you early on, or when you don't have access to enough resources at the start of the next mission to build what you need to early enough to take on the enemy.

So, any words on an ETA for fixes/patches? I guess they may try to tackle most bugs in one swing.

No ETA, but they've stated they're working on fixing crash bugs first and that work is already in progress.

Portman

I would think that the artbook will be reprinted especially if there is that kind of demand for it. Plus if the Journey artbook is still available then I take that as a good sign of another print run or two. I would think that they are gauging the interest as someone else mentioned and will ramp up production for a second run.

Heck, I never went to post on the CAG thread about artbooks and I owe it to them since my shelf is full due to all the great books they track and post the moment they're up for sale.

Edit: The CEs of the game are apparently back up on Amazon.com too (I saw them while hunting any OST details). That reminds me that I need to test mine out to see if the lights work since I read about them having issues so don't buy them all until I can test mine! :p

Edit: The CEs of the game are apparently back up on Amazon.com too (I saw them while hunting any OST details). That reminds me that I need to test mine out to see if the lights work since I read about them having issues so don't buy them all until I can test mine! :p

Good to see I'm not alone. So, no details about the possible OST release? This disgustingly terrible country I live in only allows for two packages per year to be received without registering as an importer so I want one of those to be the Homeworld OSTs.

Lime

I hope it's okay, but I wanted to share some of the shots I've taken throughout the game. The game is really pleasing to the eye:

Good to see I'm not alone. So, no details about the possible OST release? This disgustingly terrible country I live in only allows for two packages per year to be received without registering as an importer so I want one of those to be the Homeworld OSTs.

Gearbox said during one of their PAX presentations that they plan to release soundtracks. Whether it will be digital only or physical as well, I have no idea.

Giolon

Excellent shots, Lime!

In playing the Supernova Station mission last night, I started to realize that the game is now much more of a hard rock-paper-scissors than it used to be.

Fighters lose to Corvettes, Corvettes lose to Frigates, Frigates lose to Destroyers, Destroyers lose to Fighters (Attack Bombers). Obviously that's a little simplified, but each of these types are very hard counters to the type that loses to them. Previously, the circle was a bit more ill-defined (to my memory).

Clever use of tactics and unit behavior (aggressive/evasive) could let you take out an enemy where you were at a disadvantage. Now, in many cases that's basically impossible, and you need to - at worst - have an attack force comprised of a matching type, not a losing type.

A couple Destroyers melt through another destroyer in a ridiculously short amount of time. Frigates can't stand up to even a single volley from a destroyer. Interceptors will get utterly demolished by Corvettes. Repair Corvettes can't out heal the incoming damage anymore - and there seems to be a max of like 4 on a destroyer and 2 on a frigate.

On a side-note, I tried a tactic on Supernova Station last night that I've never done before, to hilariously awesome results.
At the research station, I flew a carrier high above (out of aggro range), and as I brought my capital ship fleet across the small radiation gap, I descended the carrier and launched a gravity well generator.

The entire wall of Defenders and the entire swarm of corvettes and fighters that spilled out of the enemy carrier were absolutely helpless and got obliterated. I only lost a single frigate. XD

Giolon

An update from Gearbox on patch ETA and contents:

Gearbox said:
Just got out of a meeting with the Homeworld team. The first update that focuses mainly on fixing crashes, launcher issues, and adding compatibility notifications looks to be on pace to land late this week or early next week.

Keep in mind that this is still a bit early and in testing, so there is still the possibility that this patch gets pushed back. We'll keep you updated on details and update notes as soon as everything is locked in.

The intent here is to address a bunch of the larger-scale issues that prevent folks from enjoying the game before the team moves on to things like trickier bugs, mod tools, balance and quality of life changes.

Source

boltz

Woohoo, just ordered mine. I had given up on getting a CE for one of my favorite games and just happened to see it up on Amazon. Fuck the scalpers!

Mozz-eyes

Banned
Fuck I want this game so badly. Loved the originals even though I was absolutely horrible at them.

Must. Resist. Backlog. Already. Too. Great...

Wait until they patch it. Gearbox really shit the bed here.

On the last mission, I can see the end in sight (literally). However my cap ships continue to dance around by continually rotating in circles when I order them to attack, attack move, or even move. Infuriating to hit this bug around formations, AI, whatever it is. The remaster is awesome, and I love Homeworld, but there is some serious jank here.

Falk

that puzzling face
When my schedule finally clears up middle of the month and I get this I'm so tempted to actually play HW2 remaster first before HW remaster. D:

The biggest thing for me was the inclusion of the originals in a form that plays well with modern specs.

I am flabbergasted with awestruck love playing the old games.

Voshond

Neo Member
I'm at mission 8 of the original (the one with
the motherships / hyperspace inhibitors
, but I can't figure out how to finish it.

I've killed the first mothership and the remaining two have fled to the center of the map. I've followed them, but they just won't die. Every time they get close to dying their hp jumps back up a bit.

Am I missing something? Is the mission bugged?

Giolon

I've killed the first mothership and the remaining two have fled to the center of the map. I've followed them, but they just won't die. Every time they get close to dying their hp jumps back up a bit.

Known bug: https://gearboxsoftware.zendesk.com/entries/62587364-Invincible-Kadeshi-Motherships-in-Mission-08-

I finished Homeworld 1 Remastered last night. I managed to get through the game without hitting any of the known glitches or other issues that I've been reading about. Overall - it was a great experience. Not exactly the same as the original, but not bad.

Once I realized that the game was working under hard counter mechanics, everything became trivial. From about mission 8 onwards, my fleet was basically untouchable. Know what forces the enemy has? Just use the hard counter unit on them. Due to use of Salvage Corvettes, I had 4 Heavy Cruisers by the final mission XD. I only arrived with half as many resources as Lime though, 30,000.

I had forgotten about a lot of the later game missions. The salvage yard
salvage dog fell prey to my newfound love of Gravity Wells. Once I killed one, no more ever spawned? I don't remember if it was that way in the original

After finishing HW1R, I hopped right over into HW2R. I had forgotten how barebones the story of that game starts out. It's nowhere near as compelling as HW1. It was also apparent to me how much more suited that game's mechanics are for the engine - squadrons of fighters all flying in their pre-made formations and obvious, straightforward counter-units for each type of unit without as much of the dual-role overlap from HW1 that now mostly doesn't work.

I'm looking forward to this since I've only ever played through HW2 once.

mantidor

Are you talking about the Kadesh? I had the same bug, but one of the needle ships was possible to destroy. Once you kill that one the other loses it's invulneravility.

I really feel this wasn't tested. In the original the last inhibitor ship fled only when the other two were destroyed, the idea was to introduce the Khar-toba twist once you followed that last ship, which is why it must be invulnerable until you get to the wreckage, but the triggers are all messy in this version.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I really feel this wasn't tested.

Well Gearbox has relied on publishers for Q&A in the past, they really dropped the ball on this one.

They probably should have just released it as early access and let the community do it for them without looking like dbags.

mantidor

So gearbox is releasing the soundtrack for free for people with the CE, and as DLC (for a pretty hefty price I might say) for the rest.

I really want the CE. :(

Portman

So gearbox is releasing the soundtrack for free for people with the CE, and as DLC (for a pretty hefty price I might say) for the rest.

I really want the CE. :(

The soundtracks are up on Steam. $7.99 each. MP3 and FLAC. Says that they will send out redemption codes to the CE holders over the next few days. Now it makes sense to me why they had us register the CE codes on a website so they could disperse stuff like this.

mantidor

So support frigates are now completely stupid and can't aim their repair beam properly. Harvesting in the Super Nova Mission is going to be a huge pain.

edit: holly crap is this mission buggy, the music is gone, I randomly start selecting all ships out of nowhere... this is awful.

wrongway

Finally got some game time so I sat down to play. Got through Diamond Shoals on the first go, but then didn't have any RUs for trading with the Bentusi before they up and left. So I restarted the mission and got through fine again... except the objective flags are broken this time, so no Bentusi, no mission success, and no time left to do it a third time. Awesome. ( ._.)

Lime

FUCK YES AT THAT TRACK LISTING AND IN FLAC VERSIONS.

7to7vak1xuoz.gif

Tracks:

1. The Guidestone
2. The Beginning
3. Hyperdrive Test
4. Outer Kharak System
5. The Kar-Selimin
6. Turanic Raiders
7. Return to Kharak
8. Did Not Survive Interogation
9. The Great Wastelands
10. The Bentusi