• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeworld Remastered |OT| All of this has happened before and will happen again

funkypie

Banned
I'm playing HW1 Classic and I've run into a bug regarding a bit of dialog. In mission 4, when
the Turanic mothership starts retreating,
I am warned that they will warn the "Kushan fleet" if they escape. But... I'm playing as the Kushan.

Anyone else experience this?

that isnt a bug.

regardless of which side you pick at the start of the game, you are still the hiigarian. The choice is purely for cosmetics as both sides are exactly the same.

Lime

Done. I beat the first game. Ended up with
60k in resources, 7 captured battlecruisers, 3 missile destroyers, 5 regular destroyers and a bunch of frigates that eventually had to be in the background because of their low armor

I lost a lot of strike craft throughout this game - apparently they are much weaker and easier to hit in this remaster. Evasive tactics doesn't matter any more, like they did in HW1, they'll get chewed up regardless. Corvettes were the only strike craft that seemed to hold out, otherwise everything after Gardens of Kardesh was basically frigates and primarily capital ships dominating the space.

Can you see the dust cloud paths? They're basically invisible to me :(

No, unfortunately not, but they are highlighted by small brown dotes. It's basically almost straight from the mothership to the station. The
mines
weren't a problem as far as I remember.

I could see them pretty easily in sensor view. I found it pretty much impossible to get the resources though... collectors would just die.

I took one support frigate on each of my resource collector while travelling from the mothership to each resource spot. But because the support frigates are kind of bugged in their repair beam, the collectors need to be inert in order for the frigates to begin repairing. Once they've begun repairing with their, move the collectors immediately.

But man, the frigates and resource collectors are really, really fragile in this remaster. They are paper-thin. Completely like in HW2. Battlecruiser beams cut through them like butter. The whole (Bridge of Sighs spoiler)
capturing of ion frigates doesn't matter because they'll die instant if you have a battlecruiser and a couple of destroyers.
I vaporized every frigate before they even got near me.

Lautaro

I could see them pretty easily in sensor view. I found it pretty much impossible to get the resources though... collectors would just die.

First time I played this mission (years ago) I build a carrier and put my collectors there, then moved the carrier to the resources.

But man, the frigates and resource collectors are really, really fragile in this remaster. They are paper-thin. Completely like in HW2. Battlecruiser beams cut through them like butter. The whole (Bridge of Sighs spoiler)
capturing of ion frigates doesn't matter because they'll die instant if you have a battlecruiser and a couple of destroyers.
I vaporized every frigate before they even got near me.

Yeah, I can only assume that's a side effect of trying to balance them all for multiplayer. Kind of makes the campaign really easy if you have a few heavy cruisers with you (plus some captured ones).

First time I played this mission (years ago) I build a carrier and put my collectors there, then moved the carrier to the resources.

I thought about doing that after I finished the mission lol. Luckily my existing fleet was strong enough I didn't really need to build anything.

Lime

After beating it, here are some initial thoughts on this remaster (release version, un-patched) in terms of changes in design:

• Formations are borked and doesn't work properly. Even support frigates don't want to join any formation you create with other ships.
  • Frigates are incredibly weak in armor. In HW1 they could take a pounding, but here it's almost like strike craft.
  • Strike crafts, especially interceptors, don't last long in most fights. I have always used them throughout my classic HW1 playthroughs right up until the final mission, but this time around I stopped using them in larger scale battles, because they would get slaughtered regardless.
  • Support frigates are bugged in their repairing
  • Large ships, like battlecruisers and destroyers, cannot move if any object or frigate/ship is in their proximity. I had a bug where my destroyers would drift off because of the incoming asteroids, while my battlecruisers would fail to cruise past an asteroid field.
  • Salvage corvettes are way over-powered in singleplayer now. They are no longer the priority target like they were in HW1, since the enemy ships always target the first enemy they encounter. If you simply attack with e.g. a couple of strike craft or a group of frigates first, then you can easily move in your salvage corvettes to pick up whatever you want
  • Unit behavior is really aggressive. They'll attack any enemy ship as long as they're in F3 and F4 behavior (normal and aggressive).
  • In HW1 you could move your carrier or your support frigates and your strike craft would still be able to dock. This time around, if your carrier/support frigates are moving, the strike craft will just be bugged in their docking and jitter by trying to get in place.
  • Kadeshi swarmers will focus on the drones from you drone frigates, which are free and endless, thereby rendering the battles extremely cost-free.
  • Sea of Lost Souls is very easy thanks to the non-targetting of salvage corvettes.
  • Karos Graveyard is a bit harder because the auto-guns will tear through your fighters like it ain't no thing.

Shepard

I'm getting totally wrecked in Diamond Shoals. I think I'll have to replay the previous mission to build more ion frigates (I only have 3) and support ships :( I have tons of fighters and bombers, but they are worth nothing against meteors...

Lime

Attention Original Credits Fans

I know some people have been clamouring for the original credits with the Yes song and this great guy made a .wmv version with the Remastered Credits + Yes' Homeworld (The Ladder) song. I converted it to the same format the game uses (.webm), so if you ever want to have the original Yes song in your Remastered game, simply:

1. Download this file (it's the Credits video)
  2. Put it into your ....\SteamApps\common\Homeworld\HomeworldRM\DataHW1Campaign\Animatics\ folder
  3. Replace or make a backup of the old Credits video.
  4. Enjoy
And a little trivia: The galaxy you see in the loading screen where your journey in HW1 is chronicled is actually M51A, commonly referred to as the Whirlpool galaxy. You can see it here with the journey from
Kharak to Hiigara
:

rchw2_galaxy_maprwu7q.jpg

themoreyouknow.jpg

that isnt a bug.

regardless of which side you pick at the start of the game, you are still the hiigarian. The choice is purely for cosmetics as both sides are exactly the same.

I don't think that is correct. In Homeworld 2 you play as the Hiigarans, whereas in the original Homeworld (at least, in the classic version), there is a clear choice between "Kushan" and "Taiidan" when you start a new game.

Plus, after he mistakenly refers to them as the "Kushan fleet," the subsequent dialog continues on and repeatedly refers to them as the "Taiidan."

Plus plus, even one of the youtube playthroughs I found with the same problem had a comment questioning the Kushan/Taiidan mixup. Someone responded to it saying it's a bug.

mantidor

Mount a group of a resource controller, two resource collectors and two repair corvettes or repair frigates, I would recommend corvettes since the move faster. Resource pockets are also shielded so once you get there the group is safe. Set the repair corvettes or frigates to repair the resource controller and collectors and move them there, once you are in the resource pocket set the repair corvettes to heal each other. I always harvested every single resource this way in that mission.

Wow fuck Diamond Shoals

I just beat this mission and it was pretty much as I remembered. Dock everything, then use support frigates to repair the mothership, she can stand a few hits, so instead of concentrating on close asteroids send all your destroyers and ion frigates to asteroids far ahead, which will clean the way, concentrate on asteroids that are for sure going to hit the mothership, if you are unsure, let them go, if they hit it the support frigates will repair the mothership.

I beat it on my first try, it didn't changed much from the original, except that I wanted to launch my repair corvettes and attack bombers for support but now the launch menu is a freaking travesty, you can't select all ships of one class to launch, you have to select them individually which is completely ridiculous, and they aren't even in order in that ugly interface, that was pretty disappointing.

Maulik

Man just finished hw1 remastered and boy are cruisers a bitch in that game. They just chew threw everything. I wonder if relic would be better at balancing the different classes of ships as I felt like towards the end it was just a cap ship battle.

Also does anyone else wish carriers functioned more like in Starcraft where the carriers would automatically deploy craft to attack?

ACE 1991

Okay, finally starting to get the hang of how to play this game. I see the asteroid mission mentioned repeatedly as a pain in the ass, what do I need to know going into it? How should I spend the 9.7k resources I have at the start? My fleet consists of an assload of heavy corvettes, some ion frigs, some repair/salvage corvettes, 2 resource collectors and a controller as well as a research ship. Thanks!

Maulik

Okay, finally starting to get the hang of how to play this game. I see the asteroid mission mentioned repeatedly as a pain in the ass, what do I need to know going into it? How should I spend the 9.7k resources I have at the start? My fleet consists of an assload of heavy corvettes, some ion frigs, some repair/salvage corvettes, 2 resource collectors and a controller as well as a research ship. Thanks!

You need a shit ton of cap ships and ion frigs. Strike craft are useless. If have to, go back to last mission and build more before jumping.

mantidor

Can I just use the 9.7k resources I have to build them, or is that not enough?

It's plenty. I beat the mission with only 4 ion frigates and the two destroyers captured in the previous mission, plus 6 ion array frigates captured from the turanic raiders. Follow the tips I mentioned in my previous post.

angrygnat

Just downloaded this from Steam. One of my favorites. I was really surprised at how dated the original looks now. I had these memories of the game looking way more smooth. I had every intention of playing it through on the original but once I saw the updated version I couldn't go back. I have forgotten so much about the game that it's almost like I am getting to experience it for the first time again so that's great. Can't recommend this enough.

Lime

Does anyone know how the coloring scheme for captured ships work? Sometimes a captured ship will be the original Taidanii color (yellow & red), other times a ship will be Kushan colors (teal and light-grey), other times it'll be white.

Also, not many people seems to care about that Credits song mod :(

Pinktaco

Can you see the dust cloud paths? They're basically invisible to me :(

lower anti aliasing lol. I hated that mission when i played through it yesterday. Also use a carrier to move the ressource collectors to the minerals. Controllers can move there by themselves.

mission took me 2 and a half hour.

Lime

Apparently you CAN actually change your single-player color schemes. They are linked to whatever profile color scheme you're using for your profile (go to Edit Profile in the main menu). Now I have to go through the original campaign again with the original classic color scheme (grey+white) :lol

Also, apparently Gearbox encrypted all the .big files in this remaster. But luckily some guy has made a decrypter already. This means we have access to the new sound mixes.

Pinktaco

Back to mission 5. Steal the destroyer with 4 thief ships (can remember name lol).

Before you leave make sure you have 10-15 frigates (ion/assault) and 4 repair corvettes. Just set them to repair and remove whatever you have infront of you. You do not have the time to build frigates at mission 6.

Giolon

Apparently you CAN actually change your single-player color schemes. They are linked to whatever profile color scheme you're using for your profile (go to Edit Profile in the main menu). Now I have to go through the original campaign again with the original classic color scheme (grey+white) :lol

Also, apparently Gearbox encrypted all the .big files in this remaster. But luckily some guy has made a decrypter already.

Oh shit, nice! I always used to make my ships yellow and blue - made he mothership look like a giant banana, lol. Wish I'd known about this when I started the remaster! This game needs a goddamn new manual.

Darklord

Banned
Is my game bugged or am I missing something? I'm only on mission 3 where you see the planet is destroyed and the assault ships are shooting up the cryo pods at the beginning. They say to capture one to integrate it so I send my salvage corvette over and it attaches to the ship and just sits there not moving or doing anything. Am I meant to be doing something else to capture it?

I was keen on picking this up in a few hours, but after hearing about some of the bugs and tactical formations not really doing anything / working, I'm thinking about holding off. I'm sure the games still entirely playable, but it just rubs me the wrong way having strategic features not working, and I'd rather not get burnt out playing an unpatched version.

Have there been any communication from the devs on whether that stuff will be fixed, or whether they're aware of it at all?

TheTrain

Is my game bugged or am I missing something? I'm only on mission 3 where you see the planet is destroyed and the assault ships are shooting up the cryo pods at the beginning. They say to capture one to integrate it so I send my salvage corvette over and it attaches to the ship and just sits there not moving or doing anything. Am I meant to be doing something else to capture it?

You need 2 corvettes to capture a Frigate

red731

Regarding the patch - http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/t/where-hot-fixes-gearbox/110515/6

Most of us are working over the weekend on patches... 'working days' is a strange term to game developers wink

I think we've already (through other channels) covered that we're working on critical issues in a patch first. This stuff takes time to narrow to 'what to do now' - and then to fix, and most importantly test fully. 'hot fixes' isn't a good way to describe what we're doing.

We're working - 'critical' stuff first, obviously.

Memory

I was keen on picking this up in a few hours, but after hearing about some of the bugs and tactical formations not really doing anything / working, I'm thinking about holding off. I'm sure the games still entirely playable, but it just rubs me the wrong way having strategic features not working, and I'd rather not get burnt out playing an unpatched version.

Have there been any communication from the devs on whether that stuff will be fixed, or whether they're aware of it at all?

Like most pc games waiting is never a bad thing as patches offical or fan made always make the expierence smoother plus a steam sales is inevitable.

That said i ran into no noticable bugs on my HM1R or HMC play through. Im holding off HM2R for a week or as i got distracted by DW8:Empires and vs cpu battles.

I hope it's just a bug, I reached the final mission of Homeworld 2 Remastered.

During the cutscene where the Planet Killers show up, one of the coolest moments of the game, the song that should play doesn't and, instead the Vaygr battle theme keeps playing.

A minor thing but nonetheless it basically ruined me one of the best moments of the game...

Again, they better start pumping those fixes soon as some of the bugs (like the formations in HW1R and this on HW2R) stopped me dead on tracks.

I'm glad the classics still work just fine. There is something magical about seeing your first assault frigate in HW1 rotating its turrets in all directions with the noise they make.

Not a fan of the low durability of the frigates either. They were much stronger and useful in the classics and you could engage in fast altitude and direction battles with them, usually turning the tide of a battle with good 3D movement micro. I always found that incredible as well...

Now, if they could remake the Ground Control series too, that was another classic RTS title.

jediyoshi

I just beat this mission and it was pretty much as I remembered. Dock everything, then use support frigates to repair the mothership, she can stand a few hits, so instead of concentrating on close asteroids send all your destroyers and ion frigates to asteroids far ahead, which will clean the way, concentrate on asteroids that are for sure going to hit the mothership, if you are unsure, let them go, if they hit it the support frigates will repair the mothership.

I beat it on my first try, it didn't changed much from the original, except that I wanted to launch my repair corvettes and attack bombers for support but now the launch menu is a freaking travesty, you can't select all ships of one class to launch, you have to select them individually which is completely ridiculous, and they aren't even in order in that ugly interface, that was pretty disappointing.

My first time playing through these games so I wasn't sure what I was missing out on. This mission feels like the first brick wall for me. Fortunately I have a save before the warp, so I can mix things up a little, but for repairs I only have 2 repair corvettes. The idea that ships are dying at all while just shooting asteroids is crazy to me.

Going through classic because it handles so much better on my computer at the moment, but man, after a taste of Remastered I can't wait to see those beautiful graphic upgrades again on 1.

I got stuck at the same mission for the same reason, even googled for a solution, but it actually states that you need 2 salvagers on the Objectives box. :p

I had the same problem, but I HAD two salvagers attached ;-)
It was kind of funny to look at, the ship was 'shaking' around, but not moving. Looked like they were fighting each other. It also didn't help to unattach and reattach the salvagers.

After a couple of minutes and tries I reloaded the mission and it worked fine.

Portman

Thanks for the heads up and good to know that Gearbox are working on stuff. I was getting a little worried around Friday last week when we hadn't heard anything besides that one buried post on their forum.

Now, if they could remake the Ground Control series too, that was another classic RTS title.
Just highlighting this one part to say that I agree completely! It felt like Sierra was enjoying pushing new ways to play RTS games with Homeworld and Ground Control. At least Ground Control is available on GoG though which is better than the nothing we had with Homeworld until last week.

I have continued playing through the 2nd game and everything seems fine so far. Granted I wasn't expecting oddities since this is the engine the game was made for compared to the remaster of the first game. My plan is to finish up the 2nd game and then play through the first game after a while. I'm willing to see if they can tighten up the campaign although hearing reports that it has been finished gives me confidence too.

Would anyone want to plan for some multiplayer this weekend? If so let me know and I'll make an announcement in the Steam group (we'll have to get that group expanded once mods show up).

Elandyll

Banned
Having a blast but man, the glitches/ bugs are legion in HW1:R...

As noted before, the most crippling imo is the way formations (do not) work.
The micro management with support frigates alone is a pita: "Let me go ahead of y'all guys! I can handle those pesky Ion Frigates all by myself!".

The rock paper scissors balance has definitely been altered, as Defenders seem to shred frigates, but the Destroyers are even more imba in fact, and let's not even talk about Heavy Cruisers (mini Death Stars that they are). The first time I met one I was wondering why my Destroyers (of all things) kept going boom so fast one after another.

The "adaptive difficulty" that I hated so much in HW2 seem to also have reared its ugly head (e.g. never seen so many Defenders dropped on me before in The Gardens of Kadesh. Looked like hundreds, even made my computer crash the first time around).

I love to keep walls of Infiltrators and Bombers for the sheer look of it (and in HW1 a wall of gun corvettes and bombers was nothing to scoff at), but here they are just fodder.

Lots of glitches in the scenarios / cutscenes too, but here are the two latest ones that peeve me off:
- Drone Frigates have the nasty habit to self detonate (the drones). They do so in a massive BANG that happens around 8x per Frigate and make my ears hurt (I play with a headset).
- The AI is pretty stupid. I am currently in the "Galctic Core" mission, and after the initial engagement was left with the "Defend your ship" objective. Nothing happened for the longest time. I mean, minutes. I then go ahead and follow some of my Harvesters while sending scouts to all 4 corners of the map finding nothing.
After a few mintues of very relaxing "nothing", I decide to have a look at the mothership which ...

is surrounded by a swarn of dozens ennemy defenders and a Heavy Cruiser, having a field day grinding my ships to dust.
Somehow, my whole fleet is set to "iddle", and not 1 audio message telling me that I am under attack went off.

Aside from that, having a great time. But Gearbox could definitely have done a better job imo, and perhaps should have left HW1 and HW2 two separate games.

Let's hope for some improvements...

fake edit: I am also a tad salty about the CE tbh. As much as I love Homeworld (a lot), I shouldn't constantly be wondering wether the ship alone (and a keychain - lol?) was worth the additional $70. Becasue let's be honest, the included "artbook" is a glorified manual. Throwing in the soundtrack and a digital artbook would have made it definitely worhtwhile, but as it stands?
No, I could in fact not recommend it to anyone but the most hardcore fan, when on top of everything the CE model isn't even numbered, which will allow Gearbox to produce more of these whenever the need, and hence have no "collection value" per se.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea I'm done with the HW1 remaster until they patch this thing. I'm just running into problem after problem.

Lime

Strike craft being absolutely worthless and frigates butter armor are probably some of the worst things.

Played some MP with a couple of friends against 3 hard AI players, but as soon as you get a BC, it's pretty much over for the other players.

Giolon

lower anti aliasing lol. I hated that mission when i played through it yesterday. Also use a carrier to move the ressource collectors to the minerals. Controllers can move there by themselves.

mission took me 2 and a half hour.

Thanks for the suggestion on the anti-aliasing. That made the dust visible more visible for me.

mantidor

Played some MP with a couple of friends against 3 hard AI players, but as soon as you get a BC, it's pretty much over for the other players.

This is awful.

The beauty of Homeworld was that you couldn't win with just one type of ship, that it has changed now into the overused trope of RTSs where you can win by getting to build first the "super" unit is saddening.

My first time playing through these games so I wasn't sure what I was missing out on. This mission feels like the first brick wall for me. Fortunately I have a save before the warp, so I can mix things up a little, but for repairs I only have 2 repair corvettes. The idea that ships are dying at all while just shooting asteroids is crazy to me.

I don't know if it is the new engine but HW OG felt perfectly natural that your ships would take damage with explosive asteroids near them, in my playthrough the asteroids just dissapeared when they collided, no explosions or anything.

An build support frigates, now, you are going to need them. Two repair corvettes is also nothing, build at least 4.

buffelo

Neo Member

Ah, hell yes dude. Ground Control was tremendous but I feel like it's been all but forgotten now. I enjoyed it nearly as much as Homeworld. It deserves a second chance to reach people.

mantidor

It pisses me off the stay docked order doesn't carry from mission to mission. That was a bug in HW2 how hard is to fix it?

For the meteor level I had 7 repair corvettes on the mothership and pretty much breezed through it.

I'm taking a break until a few patches comes out. Mission 10 (research station) would not end for me even though i finished all the objectives.

A bit disappointing. I was super excited to play this again.

Attention Original Credits Fans

I know some people have been clamouring for the original credits with the Yes song and this great guy made a .wmv version with the Remastered Credits + Yes' Homeworld (The Ladder) song. I converted it to the same format the game uses (.webm), so if you ever want to have the original Yes song in your Remastered game, simply:

1. Download this file (it's the Credits video)
  2. Put it into your ....\SteamApps\common\Homeworld\HomeworldRM\DataHW1Campaign\Animatics\ folder
  3. Replace or make a backup of the old Credits video.
  4. Enjoy
And a little trivia: The galaxy you see in the loading screen where your journey in HW1 is chronicled is actually M51A, commonly referred to as the Whirlpool galaxy. You can see it here with the journey from
Kharak to Hiigara
:

themoreyouknow.jpg

Thanks Lime, this will be perfect!

Top Bottom