• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn confirmed for PC

VFXVeteran

Banned
I'm not going to sit through another garbage video by DF.
What's your point?
Obviously you can get hw to play rdr2 with better fps and resolution.
But on current top hw the difference is not that big.

Now this I disagree with. The consoles is far behind getting good quality renderings like the high end GPUs. It all adds up to making a big difference. I want the highest setting on any graphics feature because it makes the final rendered image look cleaner. Just moving to 16x anisotripic filtering is a big difference in texture quality.

Last edited:
So only consoles are the ones to push graphics forward? Lel.
IMO yes. Except for a few games like Star citizen(when it comes out), Crysis etc.
We will see more with the first next-gen console games.

Now this I disagree with. The consoles is far behind getting good quality renderings like the high end GPUs.

Those are just mainly untapped numbers. Because high-end pc gaming has a tiny market power/potential.
In reality, you see games like GoW, Death stranding, TLOUS part 2 and GOT look better than anything the time they been released. It's insane that they are based on a 2012 hardware.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
IMO yes. Except for a few games like Star citizen(when it comes out), Crysis etc.
We will see more with the first next-gen console games.

Current consoles can't even handle Baldurs Gate 3 lol
Every feature everyone's circle jerking over and has used this generation like hair works, ray tracing, etc have been pioneered on PC and downgraded on consoles

like GoW
Catch it at a bad angle and all the flaws of it's presentation come crumbling down, especially on a base console. Go the hub with the gnome and select a realm and see how ugly that game gets

Death stranding
Low res textures everywhere, horrible draw distance and it weren't for the artstyle it would look like dog crap if you have a pro it's somewhat mitigated

TLOUS part 2

Looks like Uncharted 4 with a different art direction and has barely advanced in any direction outside of animation, even I have to admit that lol

and GOT

Like the others, look at best, like 2013 games with good art directions

psorcerer

Banned
Now this I disagree with. The consoles is far behind getting good quality renderings like the high end GPUs. It all adds up to making a big difference. I want the highest setting on any graphics feature because it makes the final rendered image look cleaner. Just moving to 16x anisotripic filtering is a big difference in texture quality.

Dunno. Seems minor to me.
Better lighting - okay. I can see the RTX appeal. But more aniso and slightly different lod cutoff - meh.

Current consoles can't even handle Baldurs Gate 3 lol

This is laughable at least.

The other games you are referring to, every year are winning technical achievement awards. You don't need these awards to see how they look though. They are the best out there.

as for the innovation in hair etc. I never said that they don't test things in there. But those are little tiny leaps comparing to the one you will see the first next-gen console games.

Like the others, look at best, like 2013 games with good art directions
not-sure-if-trolling-or-actually-serious

even in 2019 at the end of this console cicle, a console had the best looking game. And it will in 2020.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned

The other games you are referring to, every year are winning technical achievement awards. You don't need these awards to see how they look though. They are the best out there.

as for the innovation in hair etc. I never said that they don't test things in there. But those are little tiny leaps comparing to the one you will see the first next-gen console games.

even in 2019 at the end of this console cicle, a console had the best looking game. And it will in 2020.

Mmmkay, if you say so lol.

BTW I have a PS4 pro, I can tell you these games don't look that great outside of art direction. Also the rise in the use of photogrammetry really has helped hide a lot of technical shortcomings.

Better art direction =/= technical achievement

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

I have a PS4 Pro. I wasn't that impressed with God of War. I thought the technical limitations were obvious. Death Stranding is a neat looking game, maybe one of the best on PS4, but I wasn't blown away by it. Best looking game in 2019, IMO, was Shadow of Tomb Raider with settings pushed out. That game really looks incredible in a way that surprises me. I don't know what it looks like on console, but even the One X can't do high/ultra settings in many games these days.

Last edited:
art direction

Art direction is not somehow a Sony exclusive feature that magically makes 2013 games look so good to nominated every year as the best looking games out there. And even in the finish line.

this and high production values play a big role in why these exclusive games look so good. To make detailed worlds, animations etc.

I am not saying that your rig has not the capabilities to produce something insanely huge. I am saying that as industry needs more and more money to make detailed worlds, the latter will not gonna happen. They need mainstream machines. Even consoles are not enough at this lately. We need something better.

Either way, games try to make an illusion. Polygons, textures etc per se thats what they have to achive. The final image. If optimization helps a game to have a look of 2019 on a 2013 hardware that costs 200-300 euros. I am in and I don't care how.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
How these games look and play on them consoles qualifies as a technical achievement imo.

It's really not? Current get games aren't the achievements people make them out to be. The use of photogrammetry in these games to create that hyperreal look isn't that impressive when you start seeing the flaws in their presentation. Trust me, then I look back at God of War it looks worse than it does better most of the time but the art direction helps.

Art direction is not somehow a Sony exclusive feature that magically makes 2013 games look so good to nominated every year as the best looking games out there. And even in the finish line.

this and high production values play a big role in why these exclusive games look so good. To make detailed worlds, animations etc.

I am not saying that your rig has not the capabilities to produce something insanely huge. I am saying that as industry needs more and more money to make detailed worlds, the latter will not gonna happen. They need mainstream machines. Even consoles are not enough at this lately. We need something better.

Either way, games try to make an illusion. Polygons, textures etc per se thats what they have to achive. The final image. If optimization helps a game to have a look of 2019 on a 2013 hardware that costs 200-300 euros. I am in and I don't care how.

It is when you have the best in the business killing themselves to get in there and Sony can pick and choose who they want, since again, all the best want an in.

These games win technical achievements because the joke awards that give them that are so heavily focused towards consoles that if you showed them an equally good looking game, if not better, it wouldn't matter because it's not some critical darling.

Objectively speaking, metro last light was best looking game on consoles and even better looking on PC, and somehow it barely got mentioned in any of "technical achievement awards" because it wasn't console centric. The games that did win and we're mentioned couldn't hold a candle to it technically.

My rig isn't special, it's a gaming laptop from 3 almost 4 years lol. It's pretty much for counter strike and strategy games you can't get on PC.

Blond

Banned
I just hope coming to PC allows them to fix some of these ground textures...

ss_4de1946c2b96f0e2ea3d5b37e15e55c23b3539a2.1920x1080.jpg

horizonzerodawn_2017037jyy.jpg

It just takes me out of the immersion when everything else looks so nice... Except some of the lighting.

Great example here. All these games using this tech without the hardware to power it and there are glaring flaws with the presentation. Once you notice it, your immersion is broken and everything else about the presentation comes to a halt as all the tricks to make it look better than it actually is start rearing their head.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Those are just mainly untapped numbers. Because high-end pc gaming has a tiny market power/potential.
In reality, you see games like GoW, Death stranding, TLOUS part 2 and GOT look better than anything the time they been released. It's insane that they are based on a 2012 hardware.

That may be subjectively true, but it's certainly not the case that the tech used for the console exclusives is somehow better than the tech experienced from the PC GPUs.

All of those console exclusives are developed on the PC and down-ported anyway. So the same assets are used at a higher fidelity but scaled down for consoles. Many of my friends in the gaming industry working for Sony has verified this.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
Didn't realize how good this thread has gotten lol. I don't know much about pc hardware so i don't pretend to but apparently some will fight it out however they can.

The spin now is Horizon is only going to pc so pc players can buy a ps5 for Horizon 2 lol. They'll just wait for eventual ports. It hasn't turned any heads with ps now.

That may be subjectively true, but it's certainly not the case that the tech used for the console exclusives is somehow better than the tech experienced from the PC GPUs.

All of those console exclusives are developed on the PC and down-ported anyway. So the same assets are used at a higher fidelity but scaled down for consoles. Many of my friends in the gaming industry working for Sony has verified this.

I really don't know where to begin with...
Because we will never finish this.
Great example here. All these games using this tech without the hardware to power it and there are glaring flaws with the presentation. Once you notice it, your immersion is broken and everything else about the presentation comes to a halt as all the tricks to make it look better than it actually is start rearing their head.

It will be fun when you will take the same photos and the game look exactly the same. Then you will see horizon 2 look ten times better than both pc and ps4 version of the first game.

If I was not bored I could search pc images to post here in order to see that you can have blurrier textures than the above images. Also, this segments have very detailed textures in the actual game. I don't believe that you have a PS4 pro. If you had you could know that the game has very detailed textures for an open-world game.

Last edited:

It will be fun when you will take the same photos and the game look exactly the same. Then you will see horizon 2 look ten times better than both pc and ps4 version of the first game.

If I was not bored I could search pc images to post here in order to see that you can have blurrier textures than the above images. Also, this segments have very detailed textures in the actual game. I don't believe that you have a PS4 pro. If you had you could know that the game has very detailed textures for an open-world game.
Consoles hold pc gaming back. I don't get what is so hard to fathom this concept. Console games are created on pc. PC will always have the better hardware. That won't change, and hasn't changed. This shouldn't even be an argument. If and when consoles grow some balls and aren't dumbed down, PC will have even better looking games. This is due to developers catering to the absolute lowest common denominator, which is none other than consoles. If a console can't run x,y,z game, the game will get nerfed so that consoles will be able to run it. Crysis 1 ring a bell? Because it never released on console, not even 10 years later. But just a simplistic, dumbed down, corridor shooter, known as Crysis 2 was created. And it sucked compared to the first, open world game.

Tomeru

It's really not? Current get games aren't the achievements people make them out to be. The use of photogrammetry in these games to create that hyperreal look isn't that impressive when you start seeing the flaws in their presentation. Trust me, then I look back at God of War it looks worse than it does better most of the time but the art direction helps.

It is when you have the best in the business killing themselves to get in there and Sony can pick and choose who they want, since again, all the best want an in.

These games win technical achievements because the joke awards that give them that are so heavily focused towards consoles that if you showed them an equally good looking game, if not better, it wouldn't matter because it's not some critical darling.

Objectively speaking, metro last light was best looking game on consoles and even better looking on PC, and somehow it barely got mentioned in any of "technical achievement awards" because it wasn't console centric. The games that did win and we're mentioned couldn't hold a candle to it technically.

My rig isn't special, it's a gaming laptop from 3 almost 4 years lol. It's pretty much for counter strike and strategy games you can't get on PC.

Well dosh darnit. Ive been living a lie, and you, my friend - have shown me the light.
I trust you.

Edit:
its too much, isnt it

Last edited:
Consoles hold pc gaming back.

deja_q_hd_046_resized_6484.jpg

4K tvs hold 8K back too.

PC will always have the better hardware. That won't change, and hasn't changed. This shouldn't even be an argument.

indeed. No one disagrees. No one says otherwise.

PC will have even better-looking games.

Multiplatform games look and will look better on pc, but the best looking games are PS exclusives. For reasons...
Its not about hardware.

The above photos and comments about HZD demonstrate great ignorance about consoles IMO. And because they will not change the texture quality for the pc version, you will be surprised about how good they look. The experienced eye can tell if it has detailed textures from these gifs, even if one haven't play it. Imo together with Death Stranding and RDR2 it will have the best pc graphics until today.

Last edited:

psorcerer

Banned

I think that these friends are probably artists who know nothing about tech and how the thing they see in their editing tools makes it to the devkit screen. They think that because it's so fast it's the same thing. In reality it's not. There are a lot of steps from what artist sees to what is displayed on actual hardware. "It's all made for PC" is a pretty clueless statement.
But on other hand it's good, it's progress. In the PS2 days they would know painfully fast how not same it is. Praise the modern pipeline!

deja_q_hd_046_resized_6484.jpg

4K tvs hold 8K back too.

indeed. No one disagrees. No one says otherwise.

Multiplatform games look and will look better on pc, but the best looking games are PS exclusives. For reasons...
Its not about hardware.

The above photos and comments about HZD demonstrate great ignorance about consoles IMO. And because they will not change the texture quality for the pc version, you will be surprised about how good they look. The experienced eye can tell if it has detailed textures from these gifs, even if one haven't play it. Imo together with Death Stranding and RDR2 it will have the best pc graphics until today.
Isn't death standing and horizon coming to pc? Do you think the foliage will look worse on pc hardware or something? Do you not believe that the ps4 version was dumbed down to run on console, and we won't have the full fledged game on pc or something? Again we all know that games are dumbed down because of consoles. So until consoles have better hardware, it means consoles are holding gaming back, as a whole. How hard of a concept is this to grasp for you?

Last edited:
So until consoles have better hardware, it means consoles are holding gaming back, as a whole. How hard of a concept is this to grasp for you?

Unfortunately, it seems to be harder for you to understand than me how things work.

Every product/service out there to have success and reason to exist needs to be mainstream. We could have 8K TVs like 10 years ago. Technology is here. We can go to the moon every day. Technology is here. We can have F1 cars in the town. Technology is here. We can have pixar graphics in any game. Technology is here.

The 7 years of a console life, or the generation duration is an artificial time period that industry ''invented'' because it works. In order to make the gaming market viable. It works also for pc gaming. Imagine having a new generation every two years. It would be a disaster. Console gaming and pc gaming are both benefit from these generations. Consoles have a huge amount of people buy a close system so that devs can make games with huge production values(ex RDR2 could be 100 times cheaper if console generations didn't exist), Then some of these games come to pc. In fact, you should be thankful about those games.

So NO. Consoles are not holding gaming back, they are keep gaming alive and viable. We could probably play only indies today if they didn't exist. So again NO console are not holding the gaming back. They are the best model to have the opportunity to play in detailed worlds with insane production values.
One last time. NO, consoles are not holding gaming back as 4K tvs not holding back Resolution, mainstream cars are not holding back the trips to the moon or driving in the city with an F1. In fact all of them serve the actual market needs and they are the best options you can have today for each field.

PS. I don't have any expectations to understand the above. So you can use a laughing emoticon to feel good.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it seems to be harder for you to understand than me how things work.

Every product/service out there to have success and reason to exist needs to be mainstream. We could have 8K TVs like 10 years ago. Technology is here. We can go to the moon every day. Technology is here. We can have F1 cars in the town. Technology is here. We can have pixar graphics in any game. Technology is here.

The 7 years of a console life, or the generation duration is an artificial time period that industry ''invented'' because it works. In order to make the gaming market viable. It works also for pc gaming. Imagine having a new generation every two years. It would be a disaster. Console gaming and pc gaming are both benefit from these generations. Consoles have many people buy a close system so that devs can make games with huge production values(ex RDR2 could be 100 times cheaper if console generations didn't exist), Then some of these games come to pc. In fact, you should be thankful about those games.

So NO. Consoles are not holding gaming back, they are keep gaming alive and viable. We could probably play only indies today if they didn't exist. So again NO console are not holding the gaming back. They are the best model to have the opportunity to play in detailed worlds with insane production values.
One last time. NO, consoles are not holding gaming back as 4K tvs not holding back Resolution of 8K, mainstream cars they are not holding back the trips to the moon or driving in the city. In fact all of them serve the actual market needs and they are the best options you can have today for each field.
Big LOL to you and P psorcerer . Again. What games look better on consoles, compared to pc. You used death standing and rdr2 as examples, so I'll use them as well. Do those games look better on console or pc? The answer is NO. We both know that as a fact. You use Sony exclusives to try and prove a point, while falling flat on your face, because those same games come to pc, with better visuals, framerate, and resolution.

Developers aren't putting as much time into pc exclusives, as they were, 10 years ago. So we aren't seeing as many generational gaps as before, but in those same games, there is a night and day difference. It's a given that pc games will have better visuals, but the framerate difference alone is crazy. I'm playing Ori and the will of wisps right now, while seeing everyone with an Xbox one x, struggle to even hold 45fps, while I'm playing over 100fps, is a huge difference in quality of gameplay.

We may not have the generational leap in graphics, anytime soon, but with better resolution, and framerate, does that not make a difference? Then again you can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps, so I'm wasting my time asking you.

So again, why are you trying to downplay pc? If you can build a pc, I don't see why it wouldn't be the go-to solution for gaming right now. If finances are a problem, get a console. But don't try and shit on pc, as we HAVE hardware that defecates on NEXT GEN CONSOLES, from several years ago. I don't get why you keep deferring from that fact.

Do you even read what I wrote? What quote I answered? I said something and you opening a new discussion with a different subjects. The only thing I said is that saying consoles are holding back gaming is the stupidest thing you can say. Ever.-
And I explained why.

also, Ι never said that RDR2 looks better οn console :/. I will take that you don't even read my posts and I'll pass.

I mostly disagree with the rest. But if you don't read my posts I can't continue.

Last edited:

psorcerer

Banned
I just hope coming to PC allows them to fix some of these ground textures...

ss_4de1946c2b96f0e2ea3d5b37e15e55c23b3539a2.1920x1080.jpg

horizonzerodawn_2017037jyy.jpg

It just takes me out of the immersion when everything else looks so nice... Except some of the lighting.

HZD uses procedural props generation.
What you see is not a limitation of hardware, but probably just a wrong LoD. It happens a lot on any open world game.
And in HZD the algorithm for placing props is fully dynamic. Almost everything you see on top of the landscape is generated. The "real" landscape is just a flat heightmap.

BTW, because it is generated you can do some nice effects. Like local vegetation destruction (used in HZD a lot). Or dynamic landscape erosion (used in DS).

Last edited:
Do you even read what I wrote? What quote I answered? I said something and you opening a new discussion with a different subjects. The only thing I said is that saying consoles are holding back gaming is the stupidest thing you can say. Ever.-
And I explained why.

also, Ι never said that RDR2 looks better οn console :/. I will take that you don't even read my posts and I'll pass.

I mostly disagree with the rest. But if you don't read my posts I can't continue.
And I just proved how consoles ARE holding pc's back. You can apply that concept with any game released on both pc vs consoles. Use whatever examples you need to, but the fact still remains, pc's will beat out every game this gen, and next gen. I don't get why console enthusiasts even think that there isn't a discrepancy between consoles and pc. This needs to stop now. There are a million and one screenshots and videos that depict this exact concept. Why are you the last person to think otherwise?

giphy.gif

HZD uses procedural props generation.
What you see is not a limitation of hardware, but probably just a wrong LoD. It happens a lot on any open world game.
And in HZD the algorithm for placing props is fully dynamic. Almost everything you see on top of the landscape is generated. The "real" landscape is just a flat heightmap.
When you say something like common sense(for everyone who read the making of pdfs) they are laughing...
They even can't see that game looks insane for a 2017 game. And today looks insane. The fun fact is that when they will see the detailed textures in the game they ''ll believe that it is only for the pc version lol.

Last edited:

psorcerer

Banned
giphy.gif

When you say something like common sense(for everyone who read the making of pdfs) they are laughing...
They even can't see that game looks insane for a 2017 game. And today looks insane. The fun fact is that when they will see the detailed textures in the game they ''ll believe that it is only for the pc version lol.

Damage control already started.
Even by a saner pcmr guys. 😁
Everything that's good is "because of PC"!!

Damage control already started.
Even by a saner pcmr guys. 😁
Everything that's good is "because of PC"!!
Your favorite game was created on pc. Not sure how you will take that news... But if games are created on pc, and downsize the textures, framerate, etc to run on consoles.... Wouldn't that only make sense that pc versions are held back? Look sat horizon dawn with better visuals and texture quality, with ultrawide resolutions, etc. Same with death standing. Does that not make sense that the same games you are arguing with, will be better on pc? What doesn't click inside your head to understand this basic, simple concept?

psorcerer

Banned
Your favorite game was created on pc. Not sure how you will take that news... But if games are created on pc, and downsize the textures, framerate, etc to run on consoles.... Wouldn't that only make sense that pc versions are held back? Look sat horizon dawn with better visuals and texture quality, with ultrawide resolutions, etc. Same with death standing. Does that not make sense that the same games you are arguing with, will be better on pc? What doesn't click inside your head to understand this basic, simple concept?

Bla bla bla bla.
You cannot be a master race without Playstation. Unless you're a port begging peasant. I am the elite! 🖖

That moment

Yes, I don't have anything more to say. Literally everything is in my previous posts. There is no point to repeat myself. You don't want to get how the industry works. I have better things to do than trying to argue with someone who wants to stay in ignorance. Sorry.

I really have tried with the previous friendly and detailed post, but your only concern was to put a laughing emoticon before reading it...

Last edited:
Bla bla bla bla.
You cannot be a master race without Playstation. Unless you're a port begging peasant. I am the elite! 🖖
Yes, I don't have anything more to say. Literally everything is in my previous posts. There is no point to repeat myself. You don't want to get how the industry works. I have better things to do than trying to argue with someone who wants to stay in ignorance. Sorry.
Personally I don't care about Sony ports. I just want bloodborne. That's it. I played it at a measly 20fps and it fucking sucked. Both of you guys (if not the same person), can argue otherwise. But I just want an unlocked framerate, with all of my games, all of Sony exclusives included. Better framerate, visuals, and resolution.

Personally I don't care about Sony ports. I just want bloodborne. That's it. I played it at a measly 20fps and it fucking sucked. Both of you guys (if not the same person), can argue otherwise. But I just want an unlocked framerate, with all of my games, all of Sony exclusives included. Better framerate, visuals, and resolution.
Sony exclusives visuals are the best imo. Resolution is in diminishing returns mode(i.e who cares from now on) and frame rate is keep getting better and better. But I can understand the frame rate.

Regarding the ''same person''. I will let the mods to see the country and IP for both of us. I would like they do the same with you and the person I ignored.

Bloodborne had frame pacing issues more than low frame rate. I believe than on PRO is steady 30. But I am not sure.
''Though its 30fps average is technically correct, Bloodborne often produces two unique frames followed by two duplicates - rather than one after another - creating a perception of frame-rate drops throughout. ''DF

And I agree with you, it was annoying.

Last edited:

psorcerer

Banned

Bloodborn is a 50/50 chance.
+50 - previous games were ported to PC
-50 - From is a small team, port effort will cripple current progress for their next game.

Sony exclusives visuals are the best imo. Resolution is in diminishing returns mode(i.e who cares from now on) and frame rate is keep getting better and better. But I can understand the frame rate.

Regarding the ''same person''. I will let the mods to see the country and IP for both of us. I would like they do the same with you and the person I ignored.

Bloodborne had frame pacing issues more than low frame rate. I believe than on PRO is steady 30. But I am not sure.
''Though its 30fps average is technically correct, Bloodborne often produces two unique frames followed by two duplicates - rather than one after another - creating a perception of frame-rate drops throughout. ''DF

And I agree with you, it was annoying.
In YOUR opinion. With that being said, would they not look much better with higher resolution, textures, and best of all, framerates?! Even you brought up the downsides of playing this game on console.

Bloodborn is a 50/50 chance.
+50 - previous games were ported to PC
-50 - From is a small team, port effort will cripple current progress for their next game.
With absolutely no optimization, the pc version would still have better visuals and framerate though. This is not up to personal opinion or even guestimates. This is a proven fact.

Blond

Banned

Well I hate to break it to you but I'm running these and that's the Death Stranding PS4 pro with my games there. Including some Japanese games I got when I visited + the disc version of Bloodborne GOTY Edition, Japanese boxed version of Nioh completed edition not pictured among others and the Gears 5 X1X and LG OLED C9 Trust me, I'm a Sony boy for consoles and if it weren't for the fact that C9 was cheaper for the exact same panel I would've bought that one.

Here's my thing.

1. Photogrammetry doesn't automatically make the game look like a "2019" game. In fact, I would seriously argue that Death Stranding looks similar to games like Infamous Second Sun running on it's pro patch. It's art direction more then technical prowess and there's nothing wrong with that, but you cannot say a console is on the same level as a PC in terms of graphics reproduction.

2. You can download the raw video of Last of Us 2 gameplay from digital foundry, running the same resolution as Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy and it doesn't look much better than any of the stealth or open world sections outside of setting than Lost Legacy. The animation on the other hand, is top notch and the closets video games have gotten to Pixar level animation in terms of detail in a video game.

3. Horizon is a beautiful game no doubt, but the biggest problem I have with it and most Sony games is that you don't want to get close to them. I saw Death Stranding at a bad angle and wish I hadn't, it ruined the magic and I'm looking forward to seeing it on the PC overcome the shortcomings of the limited GPU and CPU

gEh8Cy2.jpg

3X79p05.jpg

psorcerer

Banned
Well I hate to break it to you but I'm running these and that's the Death Stranding PS4 pro with my games there. Including some Japanese games I got when I visited + the disc version of Bloodborne GOTY Edition, Japanese boxed version of Nioh completed edition not pictured among others and the Gears 5 X1X and LG OLED C9 Trust me, I'm a Sony boy for consoles and if it weren't for the fact that C9 was cheaper for the exact same panel I would've bought that one.

Here's my thing.

1. Photogrammetry doesn't automatically make the game look like a "2019" game. In fact, I would seriously argue that Death Stranding looks similar to games like Infamous Second Sun running on it's pro patch. It's art direction more then technical prowess and there's nothing wrong with that, but you cannot say a console is on the same level as a PC in terms of graphics reproduction.

2. You can download the raw video of Last of Us 2 gameplay from digital foundry, running the same resolution as Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy and it doesn't look much better than any of the stealth or open world sections outside of setting than Lost Legacy. The animation on the other hand, is top notch and the closets video games have gotten to Pixar level animation in terms of detail in a video game.

3. Horizon is a beautiful game no doubt, but the biggest problem I have with it and most Sony games is that you don't want to get close to them. I saw Death Stranding at a bad angle and wish I hadn't, it ruined the magic and I'm looking forward to seeing it on the PC overcome the shortcomings of the limited GPU and CPU

gEh8Cy2.jpg

3X79p05.jpg

1. DS looks good not because of megascans. But because of a modern lighting pipeline.
And yes, Sam's equipment looks better than anything ever was on PC. Mainly because plastic/metal futuristic feel which is easy to do within the current BRDF implementations in real-time. But again, there's nothing like it anyway.

3. DS has unbelievably good LoD implementation. Any, any openworld game looks like shit from a bad angle. DS again is better than all of them. It is really hard to find that angle sometimes. Heck, most of the open world games have bad angles all over their cutscenes.

Last edited:
In YOUR opinion.

No, it's not. Every year a ps exclusive gets the crown in graphics. Buy A PS5 to see for yourself why. It's sad to limit yourself.
You are losing the best games of each gen and some of the best technical achievements. Multiplatforms look a bit worse let's say, but who cares? They are the same playable games. The same assets, poly count, etc. The same experience.

And from now on, believe me every game will look at least good.

With absolutely no optimization, the pc version would still have better visuals and framerate though. This is not up to personal opinion or even guestimates. This is a proven fact.

It will look crisper and smoother, but in the end is the same game.
A game that you will able maaaayyyybe to play after 5-10-15 years of its initial release.
A game that design for a 2012 hardware. This is pure peasantry, my friend. : P
Life is short.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
1. DS looks good not because of megascans. But because of a modern lighting pipeline.
And yes, Sam's equipment looks better than anything ever was on PC. Mainly because plastic/metal futuristic feel which is easy to do within the current BRDF implementations in real-time. But again, there's nothing like it anyway.

3. DS has unbelievably good LoD implementation. Any, any openworld game looks like shit from a bad angle. DS again is better than all of them. It is really hard to find that angle sometimes. Heck, most of the open world games have bad angles all over their cutscenes.

LMAO. Sam's equipment is a bunch of boxes, there is nothing about it that screams "technical achievement" they took a bunch of side items and stacked them on-top of each other. The character models don't even look as good as Psycho from Crysis 3 and Sams model is low res as hell but as I've said before, the art style more than makes up for it. I'm 40 hours into the game the amount of repeated textures is insane when you see the same mesh for minutes at a time going down roads repeating itself.

It's LOD is good because the world's so fucking empty, let's not act like it's comparable to even assassin's Creed games or GTA 5 which is filled with moving objects, character models and AI at the same time. If DS actually had something going on all the time I'd be more impressed, but I'm not.

Psycho 2013

YHGe8SD.jpg

Sam Bridges with those "2019 Graphics on 2013 hardware"

0jPNeMy.jpg

Give the actual model, not the concept.

Looks last gen. But at the end of last gen, they pushed the boundaries indeed.

even the decrepit 2005 hardware consoles could do this. Blurrier of course in zoom. They where 8 years old.

Sam Bridges with those "2019 Graphics on 2013 hardware"

They are pc gamers mostly and the one that votes Metro, is a hardcore pc fanboy. I will not consider his opinion, but lets say I do.
Again. One of the two best graphics in games of 2019 was Death Stranding. Yes on a 2013 hardware.

Last edited:
Top Bottom