• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of the Dead: Overkill (Wii) -- Chapter 1 Info

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Hilbert said:
That movie's is called SPL to me...I refuse to accept "Killzone".

then I hope you don't accept their western names as Donnie and Sammo either!

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
levious said:
then I hope you don't accept their western names as Donnie and Sammo either!

I think it's more to do with the fact that "Killzone" is remarkably stupid sounding.

CaVaYeRo

Arde5643 said:
THis game is so mine day one - hi CaVaYeRo, can you do an English summation of your preview?

That way you don't have to translate the entire thing into English and we can get a gist of what makes the game so good.

Thanks much if you can do this. :D

Well, I'll put some things - I have work to do!

Thrilltacular said:
I hope they make this into an actual poster, it's so unbelievable awesome.

- we found some framerate problems when playing 2 players in populated zones. Nothing really big, but it doesn't happen in 1p mode.
- Every chapter is an awesome movie poster. There are 7.
- There's an exaggerated storyteller voice between scenes and character dialogs.
- Washington is hyper-aggressive in the humoristic way. Agent G is patient. Again, Pulp Fiction-ish
- Language is brutal, I couldn't believe they were saying/doing some things and the great Spanish localization (no VA for us, yes for you in English).
- House, Forest with river, carnival, hospital, train are levels examples.
- Unlockable game mode seems to be dual-wielding mode. OMG!
- Graphics effects, color scheme, lighting and motion blur work nicely. Some framerate issues as described earlier, just in 2p mode.
- Between levels scenes are also stupid and great.
- Accurate aiming, pretty fast. You can reload by shaking or by shooting after Reload! message.
- Hidden brains as bonus. Lot's of extra stuff to unlock. Score includes combos and things like "goregasm".
- Music is "motorcycle-riders" rock and some funky (or Washington will kill us all)
- Train final boss is a huge bug:

http://www.revogamers.net/avances-388-The-House-of-the-Dead-OVERKILL-–-Impresiones-2.html

That's all for today. More, tomorrow :p

If they are going to release a "poster", they could at least give it to us in a high resolution. Opening the one in the OP in Photoshop and it is less than 2"x3" =\. Even at 300dpi, thats too small to even blowup onto a 8.5"x11" sheet with decent quality. With its resolution, it could be passible as a desktop wallpaper....maybe.

That being said, I can't wait for this game. SEGA needs to announce that double pistol package for NA now! (but they won't, which sucks)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I know some Spanish, I'll try to translate. If something is in italics, that means it's word I don't know and can't find a definition for. Starting from the first paragraph:

Abrimos la boca en cuanto se ejecutó el juego. El logo de SEGA -tembloroso como la cinta que acaba de arrancar- y la definición de diccionario de Overkill -posible primera referencia a Tarantino- daban la bienvenida a una de las pruebas más emocionantes que hemos realizado en los últimos meses. La intro no dejaba lugar a dudas de que el estilo noventero se había vertido sobre toda la "cinta": Una pantalla con un sello que recuerda a Movierecords, mucho grano. Un vídeo real de una tía "de las de antes", apretada en cuero y contoneando sus bondades de forma tosca ante la barra pulida de cualquier antro rodeado de Harleys. La música sube de intensidad y los créditos se presentan en la tipografía de antaño. La tiarraca lleva un cinturón de balas reales, pero desenfunda una pistola inesperada: un Wiimote adecuadamente cubierto con su funda de silicona. Nuestra boca, aún abierta, forma una sonrisa, traga saliva y suelta un par de exclamaciones. Ha comenzado la película.

We opened our mouths as soon as we started the game. The logo of SEGA — trembling like the film that finishes to uproot — and the definition in the dictionary of Overkill — possibly the first reference to Tarantino — gave the welcome to one of the most exciting tests that we have realized in the last few months. The intro hasn't left in doubt from the noventero style that had spilled all over the "film": a screen with a seal that reminds you of Movierecords, much grain. A real video of a lady "of them from earlier," squeezed into leather and struts her kindnesses of rough form before the smooth rail of any surrounding dump of Harleys. The music rises in intensity and the credits present an antiquated typography. The lady takes a belt of real bullets, but draws an unexpected gun: a Wiimote suitably covered with a silicone case. Our mouths, still open, form a smile, swallow some drool and release a pair of exclamations. The movie has begun.

Antes de liarnos a tiros quedaba tiempo para que nos creyéramos más eso de la peli de terror de serie B. Los capítulos se introducen con secuencias grabadas con el motor del juego que derivan en una ilustración de cartel de cine. Un comentarista exagerado narra los hechos, y los diálogos y la acción del Agente G y Washington se intercalan con fluidez (esto es, darse un puñetazo pese a ir de compañeros, o discutir de dónde viene eso de la G ante una horda de zombis).

Before we mix it up with gunshots it was time for we will believe more that from the B-series horror film. The chapters introduce us with printed sequences with the in-game engine that is derived from a movie poster illustration. A commentator exaggeratedly narrates the facts, and the dialogue and the action from Agent G and Washington are inserted with fluidity (that is, to give weight to a punch from companions, or to discuss from where a horde of zombies are coming at G).

I'll edit this post with more as I get it finished.

That took forever to translate; my Spanish is embarrassingly terrible and I apologize to all of you.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
3217826188_bb4a0946e0_b.jpg

3217825732_0b770a7d1b_b.jpg

Oh cool, Monster Munch

Dascu

McBacon said:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3261/3217826188_bb4a0946e0_b.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3444/3217825732_0b770a7d1b_b.jpg[IMG]

Oh cool, Monster Munch[/QUOTE]

[B]:O
[/B]

Another great trailer :)

The in-game cutscenes are pretty unimpressive though - the graphics are on-par with the rest of the game, obviously, but the animation is as stiff and awkward as HotD2+3 (check out the moment when G holds the phone to his ear).

It looks so promising, I just hope it lives up to the promotions...

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
CaVaYeRo said:
Haha not bad, not bad! I'll try to add some things when I'm at home.

Online embargo for Madworld ended, so I'll also post some things on that game on another thread. We also have some new screens.

it's okay, you can tell me how awful it is =P

BTW what does "noventero" mean? I was stumped by that one.

I also stopped translating because it was taking a while and no one was posting, so I figured no one was paying attention. ._.

I miss the classic Sega style gore and blow aparts the previous HotD games had. Shooting up zombies looks kinda cheap and nowhere near as satisfying in this one. Still getting it though.

Danthrax said:

I also stopped translating because it was taking a while and no one was posting, so I figured no one was paying attention. ._.
noventero referes to the 1990s. You could translate it as 90-style.

Perdew

Even though I read it here first, I still laughed at 'putting the HOT back in SHOTGUN'.

I can't wait for the HD Dreamcast 2 port of this!

boiled goose

good with gravy
Danthrax said:

noventa is 90. so it literally means 90er.
maybe it makes sense in context...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
amtentori said:
noventa is 90. so it literally means 90er.
maybe it makes sense in context...

All it says is that the "film" in the game reeked of a nineties' b-horror action movie style. Paraphrased, natch.

CaVaYeRo

daCuk said:

Hahaha yeah, pure gold. As I said, localization is incredible, and I prefer subtitles if voice is no way going to be from the Spanish Samuel L Jackson.

That dicks statement is from Varla, watching another looong conver(fucking)sation between them two. The Ice cream part was my favorite so far.

The only thing that concerns me a bit is the framerate thing on 2p mode, but if it mainly happens in no-action places in the final game, it'll be fine.

Also, 1p is pretty smooth and you get to see the reload animation, which is cool. Still eager to play the dual mode, though!

CaVaYeRo said:
Well, I'll put some things - I have work to do!

- we found some framerate problems when playing 2 players in populated zones. Nothing really big, but it doesn't happen in 1p mode.
- Every chapter is an awesome movie poster. There are 7.
- There's an exaggerated storyteller voice between scenes and character dialogs.
- Washington is hyper-aggressive in the humoristic way. Agent G is patient. Again, Pulp Fiction-ish
- Language is brutal, I couldn't believe they were saying/doing some things and the great Spanish localization (no VA for us, yes for you in English).
- House, Forest with river, carnival, hospital, train are levels examples.
- Unlockable game mode seems to be dual-wielding mode. OMG!
- Graphics effects, color scheme, lighting and motion blur work nicely. Some framerate issues as described earlier, just in 2p mode.
- Between levels scenes are also stupid and great.
- Accurate aiming, pretty fast. You can reload by shaking or by shooting after Reload! message.
- Hidden brains as bonus. Lot's of extra stuff to unlock. Score includes combos and things like "goregasm".
- Music is "motorcycle-riders" rock and some funky (or Washington will kill us all)
- Train final boss is a huge bug:

http://www.revogamers.net/avances-388-The-House-of-the-Dead-OVERKILL-–-Impresiones-2.html
g[/IMG][/URL]

That's all for today. More, tomorrow :p

Thanks for that. Is Sega's excellent calibration plus the option to remove the cursor in? This may be a dealbreaker for me as it totally transformed HOTD and Ghost Squad for me in conjunction with a Perfect Shot. (Who am I kidding, I can't resist the Sega goodness, this game is so bought).

GC|Simon

Dascu said:
Where's the cheapest way to order this from (Euro-gaf)?

I orderd the special edition at Amazon.co.uk. There it's a little bit cheaper than at Play.com and much more cheaper than some German or Austrian webshops.

BikoBiko

Robert-GCA said:
If they are going to release a "poster", they could at least give it to us in a high resolution. Opening the one in the OP in Photoshop and it is less than 2"x3" =\. Even at 300dpi, thats too small to even blowup onto a 8.5"x11" sheet with decent quality. With its resolution, it could be passible as a desktop wallpaper....maybe.

That being said, I can't wait for this game. SEGA needs to announce that double pistol package for NA now! (but they won't, which sucks)
There's a much bigger one on SEGA Europe's Flickr account (7013 x 4961): http://flickr.com/photos/segaeurope/3208857195/sizes/o/

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Haunted said:
I fucking love it.

Could be the best lightgun shooter on Wii.

Impressions please!

scitek

I really don't like the game reloading for you if you just shoot once after it says "Reload!", it kind of defeats the purpose of having to do it in the first place. I'd much rather they make you shoot off the screen instead.

Top Bottom