• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How does ESPN NFL 2k5 (XBox) look at a big screen rear-projection CRT television set?

Alcibiades

Because I convinced the GM of my Best Buy store to put it out on the floor tomorrow, hopefully with component cables...

the only problems I can forsee are:

-stretched widescreen image
-lighting

anything else I should worry about, because I want this thing to WOW customers and cause mild rioting as people are astonished...

This should help move a few XBoxes, and hopefully quite of a few copies of ESPN NFL 2k5...

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
It runs just fine on my 57" rear projection with component. I believe it might be 480p too, not sure. It looks great. If you can, should also hook up the surround sound. That feature is really underappreciated. Just make sure the lighting is ok in that area so there is no glare, that's all.

It'll look great, in widescreen and 480p. For some reason, 2k5 is much cleaner overall than 2k4, not sure if it's some low level anti-aliasing or what. I just know it looks miles better than ESPN Baseball does in 720p.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Cleaner at a loss though. The only 60fps action is during gameplay (thankfully) and manual replays.

Use the XBOX version and change the dash settings to accomodate the display device.

That loss is pretty minor though (assuming you're talking about slight framerate changes), a couple of months of fine tuning would've gotten rid of it. Marketing and desperation forced Sega's hand ofcoursed. I'm sure it's less noticable than Madden's texture flicker.

FightyF

Banned
Because I convinced the GM of my Best Buy store to put it out on the floor tomorrow, hopefully with component cables...

Heheh, I was thinking of doing the same at my BB. I'll defo ask when NHL 2K5 comes out...a lot more relevance here in Canada :)

Alcibiades

Well, we put it up on a 46" or so widescreen Samsung plasma, unfortunately, we only used S-Video (Monster Brand though), and the lighting conditions weren't terribly ideal, considering it was set up the middle of the floor (about the media carpet entrace location) and even the light from outside pretty much touches into it cause of the big window entrances we have...

well, needless to say, PEOPLE WERE FLOORED! Unfortunately traffic wasn't what I was expecting, but people that didn't even care about videogames would stop by and check out the game... it was fun to have customers there playing, and when nobody was playing it, I left a game going on auto, and let's just say it was on of the most beautiful things you'd ever seen in the world of videogames...

I think it's staying up for tomorrow so we'll have another shot at attaching decent-margin accessories like controllers and XBox Live to this, but early in the day (Sat.), some guy who spent a good hour or so trying it out actually bought an XBox with the game, and it's probably not inaccurate to say that today, ESPN NFL 2k5 sales either came close to or easily surpassed what Madden '05 did in sales for our store...

Best Buy Sega fans: Convince your manager to demo this on a open-item widescreen HDTV, you'll move copies and convert casual Madden fans on the spot (I did remain accurate and when asked, I did mention that the gameplay in Madden, from what I had heard, was a little more refined and some reviewers were giving it slightly higher scores, but that you weren't going to beat the presentation and graphics of NFL 2k5)...

Still, the majority of our customers are the type to go for the presentation considering the gameplay in 2k5 is well enough...

Also, for some reason, people are really trying to get their hand on the Madden Collector's edition, but we pretty much ran out...

Top Bottom