• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors coming out on August 14 in Japan [Up: Famitsu Images]

I'm quite partial the the similarly named, but much cooler "Warriors of Hyrule" or "Warriors of Zelda". The former being the better name, but the latter being more directly linked to the Zelda name.

Ansatz

"Link sets off to rescue Princess Zelda, who has been kidnapped by the evil witch Shia."

why :/

This means the game will probably be structured like recent DW games meaning you can only pick a character that takes part in the battle or worse force you to play with a specific one. Let's say there's a stage where Link is absent, Impa is in charge of infiltrating some enemy fortress which means you have to play Impa and cannot choose Link because of story purposes.

I prefer the oldschool style of being able to pick any character even if it doesn't make sense story wise to play the entire campaign as an officer who dies mid-game. I mean imagine playing as Zelda while she's kidnapped, makes no sense but who cares.

lewisgone

Zelda got kidnapped? Hopefully she's still playable at some point, I was looking forward to playing as her in this type of game.

Grizzo

I'm calling it

August Hyrule Warriors
September Bayonetta 2
October X
Nov Smash

Nintendo has been pretty consistent with worlwide releases, and Zelda is much bigger in the west, so I see no reason at all it won't be a worldwide August launch. Not like there's a ton of translation? X on the other hand...

So one major game released each month? That would be great, but look at how sparse the new releases have been in the last few month on the Wii U... I'm not holding my breath.

zroid

Banned
"Link sets off to rescue Princess Zelda, who has been kidnapped by the evil witch Shia."

why :/

This means the game will probably be structured like recent DW games meaning you can only pick a character that takes part in the battle or worse force you to play with a specific one. Let's say there's a stage where Link is absent, Impa is in charge of infiltrating some enemy fortress which means you have to play Impa and cannot choose Link because of story purposes.

I prefer the oldschool style of being able to pick any character even if it doesn't make sense story wise to play the entire campaign as an officer who dies mid-game.

Maybe. The way I see it, because they've invented a new villain for this game, it frees up story-wise any existing Zelda characters to participate as protagonists. Even Ganondorf might get in on the action.

Except Zelda, of course... maybe she'll be unlockable after you beat the game

Zelda fans who are hungry for a new Wii U game will buy it anyway, regardless of the price. The rest doesn't care either way. I don't see how offering it for a budget price would change anything, really.

You are right on the money here. My fiance and I are Zelda fans and we are getting this, no matter what ratings or reviews it gets.

Ansatz

Maybe. The way I see it, because they've invented a new villain for this game, it frees up story-wise any existing Zelda characters to participate as protagonists. Even Ganondorf might get in on the action.

Good point. Zelda will probably have her own missions a la Peach parts in Paper Mario, maybe in the form of flashbacks. So it's not like she won't be playable at all in story mode, but yeah I don't like this structure, I want to play the entire thing with any character.

Meikiyou

Whose to say Shia isn't Demise's minion?

Aren't villains constantly hijacked in Zelda games now?

Though, Zelda can't exist before SS.

yup, maybe it happens right after skyloft ascension into heaven, where zelda is now the mortal hylia on the surface together with the old hero.

Litri

I guess this could be a summer worldwide release... I think I will first need to play any of the previous games. I'm still not convinced this is a good fit for Zelda.

TDLink

So one major game released each month? That would be great, but look at how sparse the new releases have been in the last few month on the Wii U... I'm not holding my breath.

The exact same thing happened last year.

Near drought for the first half of the year, then a game a month in the back half.

I'm still betting on X being delayed until next year. I expect Hyrule Warriors, Bayo 2, Smash, plus a couple of others we don't know about (and/or Yarn Yoshi) out this year though.

I wonder which Zelda they will use.

I think I recall seeing one of those 'in-depth' videos, and they spotted Zelda in the back with the same appearance as Twilight Princess Zelda.

edit: yeah there she is. I would post the picture but I'm not sure which sites are taboo here.

That's how it worked last year.

Aug: Pikmin 3/NSLU
Sep: TW101
Oct: Wii Party U
Nov: SM3DW
Dec: Wii Fit U (kinda)

EDIT: beat

Near drought for the first half of the year, then a game a month in the back half.

I'm still betting on X being delayed until next year. I expect Hyrule Warriors, Bayo 2, Smash, plus a couple of others we don't know about (and/or Yarn Yoshi) out this year though.

The NFC game, whatever it is, will be launching this year.

It's interesting that, even though Impa's design is from Skyward Sword, her hair is white (as in Ocarina of Time) instead of yellow,. I wonder if that means anything.

NEO0MJ

I bet the playable Characters will be Mosou Link, Link Between Worlds Link, Skyward Sword Link, Spirit Tracks Link, Twilight Princess Link, Wind Waker Link, Oracle of Link Majora's Mask Link, OOT Link, OOT Young Link, Link to the Past Link, Link's Awakening Link, Zelda II Link, Legend of Zelda Link, and finally, secret characters
CDi Link

Just kidding. I do wonder though who will be playable, Mosou games are known for having a large playable cast.

What is 'so soon' & why does being made by Tecmo have anything to do with it? It's a longer period between announcement & release than Kirby Triple Deluxe, Super Mario 3D World, & Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.

Third party made games have been coming out like this for the past few years in Japan, compared to the longer wait for US titles from announcement. Sure it was announced a while ago, but we have seen nor heard anything of it since the initial announcement/gameplay clip. Now the next time we hear about it is three months before it drops. Thats pretty fast imo.

Compared to something first party made which they hype up for months before release. ala Mario Kart and Smash.

wrowa

I hope you can still unlock Zelda as a playable character by the end. It would be such a shame if you couldn't fight with her. Especially taking into account that Twilight Princess' Zelda already came with a sword equipped.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I hope you can still unlock Zelda as a playable character by the end. It would be such a shame if you couldn't fight with her. Especially taking into account that Twilight Princess' Zelda already came with a sword equipped.

They could at least make her playable for the non-story modes.

JoeM86

Third party made games have been coming out like this for the past few years in Japan, compared to the longer wait for US titles from announcement. Sure it was announced a while ago, but we have seen nor heard anything of it since the initial announcement/gameplay clip. Now the next time we hear about it is three months before it drops. Thats pretty fast imo.

Compared to something first party made which they hype up for months before release. ala Mario Kart and Smash.

Yes, but they don't start development when it's announced...

Maybe yoshi yarn get the boot. Platformers are all over the Wii U. They could have a rest, if there was one to happen.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
They could at least make her playable for the non-story modes.

I hate that we still don't know almost everything about the game.
even the basci elements of DW series are still up in the air.
Multiple playable characters? story-mode and "dream-mode"? split screen (hopefully 1 on tv and 1 on gamepad)? and so on...

Banned
This scan has me hyped. Link looks cool. Dunno about the scarf though. Sonic boom and now this with scarfs? Lay off the scarfs Nippon.

MrXavier

Although I think it's great, I really hope Nintendo doesn't make this game a huge set-piece reveal this upcoming E3 and instead it's a new traditional, 3D Zelda game reveal.

Khrno

You are right on the money here. My fiance and I are Zelda fans and we are getting this, no matter what ratings or reviews it gets.

Musou/Warrior games are fun anyway, some people hate them because they are -always- the same, and I can understand that, but if you are going to play just a single game, or once every few years, then that's a non-issue.

Also, although the combat is not complex or super hard like Ninja Gaiden, DMC or Bayonetta, but it is simple and fun enough to enjoy beating thousands of enemies.

Riki

Although I think it's great, I really hope Nintendo doesn't make this game this game a huge set-piece reveal this upcoming E3 and instead it's a new traditional, 3D Zelda game reveal.
They've already confirmed that EAD's Zelda will be at E3.
This is just a fun spinoff.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
This scan has me hyped. Link looks cool. Dunno about the scarf though. Sonic boom and now this with scarfs? Lay off the scarfs Nippon.

SCARFS...SCARFS EVERYWHERE
13888.jpg

Top Bottom