• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I actually prefer Spider-Man (PS5) at 30fps.

nikeboy94

So yeah, to summarise: I think Spidey on PS5 just feels better at 30fps, greater sense of momentum, greater emotional response, more aesthetically pleasing image and more artistically in keeping with the content. And I personally prefer to trade-off some responsiveness and visual comfort in favour of that.

I know what you mean. I prefer 60fps in most games too, but for Spider-Man I played it in 30fps (the first time round) to get that more "artistic" feeling. Having said that, I would recommend trying out the 40fps mode (120hz) if you haven't already. It's the best of both worlds!

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
OP, you dont have an OLED do ya?

You'd wanna tear your eyes out if you saw 30 fps on any modern OLED, its really that bad.
That's not true.
30fps with proper motion blur can look good.
24fps on the other hand.... ooof. Slow panning shots in movies hurt. Movies should've moved to 30fps long time ago. 24fps is stupid

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
That's not true.
30fps with proper motion blur can look good.
24fps on the other hand.... ooof. Slow panning shots in movies hurt. Movies should've moved to 30fps long time ago. 24fps is stupid
That's why your turn on the cinematic movement setting for watching movies/tv. Works like a charm for eliminating studder with no soe

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That's why your turn on the cinematic movement setting for watching movies/tv. Works like a charm for eliminating studder with no soe
yes I do that on netflix. It helps a bit but not as much as interpolation (smooth movement)
But I do that only only internal netflix app. Not possible on pc, so I got used to it.

Fbh

I just played through Miles Morales in the 40fps mode and thought it was pretty good. It reaches a nice balance between feeling more fluid than 30fps while retaining most of the enhanced visual features of the 30fps mode.
I think we'll inevitably get more 30fps as the gen moves on, but I hope at least a 40fps mode remains an option in most of them.

OP, you dont have an OLED do ya?

You'd wanna tear your eyes out if you saw 30 fps on any modern OLED, its really that bad.

It really seems to depend on the game for me.

I played through Guardians of the Galaxy in 30fps and it looked fine to me. Obviously not as smooth as 60fps but it's a cinematic game and the visual cuts on the 60fps mode are massive
But then in other games like Yakuza Like a Dragon the 30fps mode looks like juddery slideshow

Well cape crusader, I have a product for you: Arkham Knights.

You (and you alone) will find it exceeds your need to fight crime with feats of daring do while validating your spandex-clad need to stutter and judder your way to saving the day at 30 FPS.

Last edited:

Deerock71

Framesluts are the worst. They get mad at you for being able to play and enjoy games at 30 fps. Sometimes even LOWER. What can we say? A lot of us cut our 3D teeth on PS1 and the N64 (and how many frames did Starfox on the SNES top out at?).

I'm not even against 60 or 120 fps. Just the numbskulls that get upset when others don't care.

Godot25

Banned
The mode options aren't always on point though.

At least on PC if you want high graphics at 1440p 60fps, you can. The options on console often make you choose one extreme over the other which kinda sucks.
Well. That's "disadvantage" of console gaming right? That you can't set exact settings for a game.

I just want 60 FPS mode in every case possible. If some people want 60, okay. But I want 60

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Well. That's "disadvantage" of console gaming right? That you can't set exact settings for a game.

I just want 60 FPS mode in every case possible. If some people want 60, okay. But I want 60
then get a pc.
The stupid modes on consoles are extreme choices and usually neither is good.
And it only serves for me to "this looks so good in this mode but plays so good in this blurry mode".... well great.. now there is a bad choice to do.
I preferred when games were without these options on console, so there was no feeling of loss.
so I agree with BlackTron BlackTron here.

of course nowadays it is different. If we can have VRR/fps cap off. There is absolutely no reason not to include that.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Framesluts are the worst. They get mad at you for being able to play and enjoy games at 30 fps. Sometimes even LOWER. What can we say? A lot of us cut our 3D teeth on PS1 and the N64 (and how many frames did Starfox on the SNES top out at?).
The modern competitive scene spearheaded by online gaming hadn’t happened yet. Even so, the competitive games were basically all 60 fps back then. The single-player games were hardly ever as twitchy as your average Platinum Games production, too, so the low framerate jank was more tolerable.
Lastly, games were designed around their limitations (Star Fox is a very good example of this, they saw what they could realistically achieve and designed the gameplay around it). Unlike today, when devs throw everything at the wall and whatever doesn’t stick, they’ll try to fit in the game anyway.

Small-screen CRT TVs, on their part, did wonders to mitigate stutter.
My personal beef with low framerates isn’t with how the game plays, but how stuttery it inevitably looks on modern giant-screen, sample-and-hold displays. It looks good, yeah - too bad it moves so horribly.
There’s times when motion blur is well implemented and 30fps doesn’t look that bad (Forza Horizon 5 is one of those), but if not, then 60 is better, period.

GymWolf

I take 60 fps for such an acrobatic fast paced game, thanks.

But 30 fps on spidey are some of the best feeling 30 fps tho.

I usually switch to 30 when there is a cutscene coming up or a walking section.

I tried the "miracolous" 40 frame mode and it is still far away from 60 frames feeling.

Last edited:

scydrex

I take 60 fps for such an acrobatic fast paced game, thanks.

But 30 fps on spidey are some of the best feeling 30 fps tho.

I usually switch to 30 when there is a cutscene coming up or a walking section.

I tried the "miracolous" 40 frame mode and it is still far away from 60 frames feeling.

If you feel it like that ok but still is better than 30fps... i played Spiderman and Miles un 40fps feels better than 30fps and the same quality...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Ok but still is better than 30fps... i played Spiderman and Miles un 40fps feels better than 30fps and the same quality...
Slightly better, sure.

But for horizon is not the same 4k resolution with 40 fps mode.

Still, if you play most games on pc at 60 so you are used to 60 frames feeling, 40 is not gonna cut it, or at least it didn't for me.

Last edited:

scydrex

Slightly better, sure.

But for horizon is not the same 4k resolution with 40 fps mode.

Still, if you play most games on pc at 60 so you are used to 60 frames feeling, 40 is not gonna cut it, or at least it didn't for me.

Well to me it feels closer to 60fps than it's to 30fps. Also playing Horizon 2 in 40fps. Haven't tried Horizon 2 in 30fps will try it today but tried Spiderman and Miles and no thanks.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Well to me it feels closer to 60fps than it's to 30fps. Also playing Horizon 2 in 40fps. Haven't tried Horizon 2 in 30fps will try it today but tried Spiderman and Miles and no thanks.
And spidey is one of the best 30 fps in the market.

But yeah, too much of an acrobatic and fast paced game to play at 30 for a couple of better reflections and slightly better resolution.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I hate 30fps but you seem to have a legitimate preference so I hope you enjoy the game and your experience with it

scydrex

And spidey is one of the best 30 fps in the market.

But yeah, too much of an acrobatic and fast paced game to play at 30 for a couple of better reflections and slightly better resolution.

Yeah i tried the three modes in Spiderman and 30fps didn't felt right. Between 40 and 60 the 40 felt ok and played both in 40. Horizon 2 could be ok in 30fps to me.

GymWolf

Yeah i tried the three modes in Spiderman and 30fps didn't felt right. Between 40 and 60 the 40 felt ok and played both in 40. Horizon 2 could be ok in 30fps to me.
Horizon is also pretty fast paced and on very\ultra hard you need all the fluidity in this world.

wtf-is-that-confused.gif
What don’t you understand? He’s right…

Petopia

Banned
Since you call this an audiophile thing isn't this the same comparison between studio reference head phones and something akin to gaming headsets?

jm89

Just don't play something at 60fps alongside a 30fps game, that's how I do it. I get use to it after a while and then 30fps ain't so jarring.

tassletine

Could you explain what exactly makes lower frame rate feel grand?

Would it feel more grand to you if it was 20fps? How about 10? Would that feel epic?
The graphics are better as there are more bells and whistles in 30fps, not only better ray tracing but increased crowds etc.
Because of this the game looks more consistent and less videogamey. This in tern makes the city feel more believable / grand.

Since almost everyone is used to seeing cities, the closer you can get to one believably, with detail, the more grand it will feel. Take away that detail and the city feels smaller or at least more videogamey.

If the game was about lightning fast reflexes then I would prefer a higher frame rate but here the developers are clearly going for an interactive movie type experience so 30fps feels more suited. To have both options is great though.

What happened to those people that would regularly say 30fps on console was comparable to 60fps during the PS3/PS4 eras. Even the guys on DF would claim it. Something so smooth and magical about "console 30fps", so they said.

With PS5 they gave players 60fps with the extra headroom available and now it's like a death slideshow playing 30.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
just stop it. you don't. 30 fps is the frame rate. your eyes "see only about 24" as they say. so at 30 fps, you're now degrading it with your eyes' frame rate so it is super choppy. the real world is at infinity framerate. crystal clear and smooth. then our eyes' "frame rate" degrades it. so therefore the higher the framerate we can get (i.e. closer to reality), the better experience. saying 30 fps is enjoyable just doesn't make sense. it's playable yes. but preferable? come on man
Wut? 😂

Banned
That’s with no motion blur and when you play a game you’re not watching something scroll constantly, in fact I’m mostly looking off into the distance where the scenery isn’t moving all that much.

if you turn on motion blur all the graphics you gain by playing at 30fps will be gone completely.

hence why 30fps is for graphics whores who don't want to play games but want to sit still and look at pretty images

Top Bottom