• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Cerny Video Interview (Up: All 3 parts released)

Iacobellis

tumblr_lpn91mnJ2u1qhzutgo3_500.jpg

jaypah

He straight up says cloud computing won't work well if you try to "boost the quality of graphics."

Many of us have been saying this for ages. Of course people will deny his words anyway because he "works for Sony."

I've honestly not seen anyone believing in better graphics from the cloud in weeks. It's all about "robust A.I. persistent world Titanfall" now.

On topic, Cerny could totally have a PBS show reading stories to kids. I kind of want to pop out of a trash can and scare the shit out of him just to see if he's capable of a shocked reaction.

I've honestly not seen anyone believing in better graphics from the cloud in weeks. It's all about "robust A.I. persistent world Titanfall" now.

On topic, Cerny could totally have a PBS show reading stories to kids. I kind of want to pop out of a trash can and scare the shit out of him just to see if he's capable of a shocked reaction.

This is the face you'd get.

image.php

Tripolygon

Banned
It's a jab at the 'buzzword' that MS has been spitting out constantly and the whole premise behind it; not what cloud actually is, and he's very specific on that.
I think you people are seeing a jab because that is what you want to see. He was asked that question by a "journalist" to solicit a response which will appear like a jab at Microsoft. Shuhei Yoshida was asked the same question by Polygon and his answer was similar
Yoshida said that "of course" PS4 developers will be able to take advantage of cloud-based computing for their titles.

"Linking, matchmaking... there are already many computations being done on the cloud side," Yoshida said, adding that there are limitations to what processes can be offloaded to a remote computer, due to latency and bandwidth.
Microsoft chose to to make big claims about Azure, whether they can back it up in reality is yet to be seen.

Variety doesn't need to come in AAA size. I still disagree though, the ps3 has been home to several kinds and genres of "AAA" games. For the ps4, they're betting hard on indies to bring even more variety into the mix.

I disagree entirely. And depending on indies for variety outside of FPS/TPS is a flatout joke. This should be provided by mainstream publishers. Most indies (but not all) have provided a level of quality below that of most PSN/XBLA titles.

You can take a look at Microsoft's indie section on the 360 and 99 percent of those titles look like someones first attempt at making a game because they simply are someones first attempt at making a game. Hoping the next one in a million Minecraft title comes along to provide "variety" is an insult to most gamers intelligence. Sony should be applauded for working with indies in order to grow the indie scene out of the basement but they should not get away with it as a talking point excuse for providing variety by itself. Variety needs to come from a broad range of sources the biggest of which needs to come from the likes of the big publishers out there.

Fortunately, Cerny talks of variety in a much more generalized way than his previous comments on variety/indies (the way they were worded caused some alarm) and leaves the window open for more 1st party attempts at this. Hopefully, that means more 3rd party efforts are known as well. I just hope his previous comments on the issue were not indicative of where they really think they need to be with this. I'm looking at Knack and hoping it is a positive sign for things to come and not just a one off at launch.

Takuya

Banned
I think you people are seeing a jab because that is what you want to see. He was asked that question by a "journalist" to solicit a response which will appear like a jab at Microsoft. Shuhei Yoshida was asked the same question by Polygon and his answer was similar

Microsoft chose to to make big claims about Azure, whether they can back it up in reality is yet to be seen.

The specific random mention of "enhancing graphics through the cloud" is what I'm referring to, not the actual use of the cloud for matchmaking and the such.

I like the fact that he mentions how the PS4 can use the cloud the same way the Xbone can but isn't shoving it in our face. He very calmly just says that yes, the PS4 can use the cloud for matchmaking, etc. but using the cloud to enhance graphics wouldn't work out too well. No bullshit here.

Binabik15

U can find me in da tub,
Bottle full of suds
And mami I got the Zest
For my body I need to rub
I need to get all wet
B/4 I start to rub
And don't give me no hug
If u smell like Scruff McGruff

I have to see which Simpsons epidsode will be on in a couple of minutes, then I'll either watch good Simpsons or watch the interview.

IcyEyes

I like the fact that he mentions how the PS4 can use the cloud the same way the Xbone can but isn't shoving it in our face. He very calmly just says that yes, the PS4 can use the cloud for matchmaking, etc. but using the cloud to enhance graphics wouldn't work out too well. No bullshit here.

We all already know that Cloud can't do magic stuff. I'm glad someone like Cerny explains in a simple way this concept.

Jack_AG

Banned
The reality is that your internet connection gets the last word with speed and efficiency. Powerful, fast cloud won't mean much when you're pinging high.

Tripolygon

Banned
The specific random mention of "enhancing graphics through the cloud" is what I'm referring to, not the actual use of the cloud for matchmaking and the such.
Thats because the interviewer asked about that specific use case "so there's been mentions but with the next gen consoles is using the clouds to kind of (do) computing and making the console more powerful over time" then he went on to proclaim some developer friends of his have told him it is basically nonsense. The interviewer was looking to solicit the same response of it basically being nonsense for it to be a jab at Microsoft.

Cerny presented a use case for cloud (servers) and said if you want to use it to improve the graphics (performance) of a game, it will not work well. He didn't say it was impossible and nonsense.

PTibz

My Dad is an Octopus, your argument is invalid!
I'm always a fan of what Cerny has to say. It's calm, collected, and articulate.

Takuya

Banned
Thats because the interviewer asked about that specific use case "so there's been mentions but with the next gen consoles is using the clouds to kind of (do) computing and making the console more powerful over time" then he went on to proclaim some developer friends of his have told him it is basically nonsense. The interviewer was looking to solicit the same response of it basically being nonsense for it to be a jab at Microsoft.

Cerny presented a use case for cloud (servers) and said if you want to use it to improve the graphics (performance) of a game, it will not work well. He didn't say it was impossible and nonsense.

Yea, mentions from Microsoft, and he specifically mentions the graphical mentions and shuts it down. What are you missing?

Mine from the Jimmy Fallon episode has been making the rounds recently.

I saw it in a thread yesterday. It was glorious!

On topic, I think it's a little strange that they'd break this into 3 parts, I find it even stranger that they're not all up at the same time. I wish someone would grill him with some beefy questions.

Tripolygon

Banned
Yea, mentions from Microsoft, and he specifically mentions the graphical mentions and shuts it down. What are you missing?
Its pretty obvious the mentions were from Microsoft and increasing console performance just means graphical capability. What i fail to see is the jab at Microsoft and where he shuts it down. Not going to work well is not the same as not going to work at all, impossible or nonsense. Seeing otherwise is just regular old console war nonsense.

A few developer and people on GAF also stated it wasn't going to work well because of latency and bandwidth, is that also a jab at Microsoft or just a realistic honest observation based on our current internet infrastructure?

Iacobellis

I saw it in a thread yesterday. It was glorious!

On topic, I think it's a little strange that they'd break this into 3 parts, I find it even stranger that they're not all up at the same time. I wish someone would grill him with some beefy questions.

Probably to keep people on the edge of their seat. Maybe they were instructed to do so by Sony? They did one Evolution of PlayStation video a day leading up to E3 and kept us waiting until then to see the PS4 and learn their stance on used games.

Takuya

Banned
Its pretty obvious the mentions were from Microsoft and increasing console performance just means graphical capability. What i fail to see is the jab at Microsoft and where he shuts it down. Not going to work well is not the same as not going to work at all, impossible or nonsense. Seeing otherwise is just regular old console war nonsense.

Just the fact that he brought up the point about enhancing graphics, is where he brings up the Microsoft bs about how the cloud helps. Where he shuts it down is where he says, in a rather comical tone, that it 'won't work well' (i.e. hahaha).

Interesting interview space/angles they chose.

As a senior year film student, I'll say it's not orthodox for sure. Lighting is odd, Cerny is lit from above while the interviewer isn't. Both should be nicely separated and lit. Close ups of soley Cerny are odd as well.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I gotta say, I completely understand wanting to hear more information from a VERY intelligent individual like Cerny.

I do not understand the bordering on scary-type obsession with him. It's kinda borderline Cerny-fest level with seriously creepy undertones.

That said, I'll fill my tub later.

Top Bottom