• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Cerny Video Interview (Up: All 3 parts released)

It gets said ad nauseum but cerny is a really good interview. You always get the feeling he knows exactly what he's talking about and not trying his best to remember a company line all the time.

ironchair

Banned
Wonder if they price Knack cheaper seeing that Cerny keeps on saying that it's a small title.
I am wondering this as well. I will be waiting for the reveiws to hit for all next-gen games before picking one up, but I really hope Knack is good. If it gets 7-8s I'll be picking it up for sure.

This guy basically says, does, and designs everything the way GAF would want somebody to do. It's refreshing to listen to Cerny simply because he doesn't say or do all the dumb bullshit we constantly get from PR figure heads 24/7.

PFD

So he's going back to working on games full time after PS4 launch. No more Cerny magic in future Sony hardware :(

forrest

formerly nacire
They should just rename the company already.

tytRtNs.png

Err mah gerd!

Applecot

This guy basically says, does, and designs everything the way GAF would want somebody to do. It's refreshing to listen to Cerny simply because he doesn't say or do all the dumb bullshit we constantly get from PR figure heads 24/7.

I find Jack Tretton isn't bad. and Shu is the lolz.

Donos

I gotta say, I completely understand wanting to hear more information from a VERY intelligent individual like Cerny.

I do not understand the bordering on scary-type obsession with him. It's kinda borderline Cerny-fest level with seriously creepy undertones.

That said, I'll fill my tub later.

95 % is not serious. Lot of people like him because he seems to be good for the PS brand and PS4 and is also a very good speaker. Some people cannot distinguish between people on GAF/internet riding with the joke wave and real creeps. Same thing with people concerned over the Kaz thread and Kaz "maniacs" or nintendo avatars.

And now get out of our tub please.

Beg to differ. Pretty sure those are Tom Ford frames and a Paul Smith shirt... Either someone is dressing him or he has exceptional taste.

I think someone should really try to get him in a tub for an interview.

How hilarious would it be if he made some notion to his popularity on GAF. I'd die if I saw him hosting an interview from his tub LOL

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
I don't get the creepy obsession over this guy.

Watch these two talks and you might understand.

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014629/Classic-Game-Postmortem-MARBLE

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1015001/The-Long

I know for a lot of people it's a Sony thing, and he did contribute a lot to Sony and saved some asses here or there, but generally he's a really cool subcontractor that worked for Sony for a long time and does some amazing stuff basically a lot of us didn't even know about.

He's that guy in the credits that's everywhere, making stuff magical, and now he's got the limelight, so people are loving it.

And his voice when he gives a talk is weirdly hypnotic...

edit: interestingly, in his "The Long View" talk he talks about the need for Ray Tracing groundbreaking hardware to move forward. This was a few years ago and now if you listen to his more recent talk about PS4 hardware, he actually has changed his view on that 180. His history of developing games made him realize that ease of development is the most important thing you can do with hardware. Good tracing hardware in the future will of course facilitate that, but for now, esoteric hardware just isn't a good idea.

sono

Reading this thread there is a lot of comments about the man, who is amazing agreed, but is there anything in the content of the interview that is new information to experienced Gafers following PS4 ?

I thought the bit in part 3 about games 3 or 4 years making better use of the spare GPU capacity was interesting ? "Physics, Collision Detection, Ray Casting, Audio" I think he said

DBT85

Reading this thread there is a lot of comments about the man, who is amazing agreed, but is there anything in the content of the interview that is new information to experienced Gafers following PS4 ?

I thought the bit in part 3 about games 3 or 4 years making better use of the spare GPU capacity was interesting ? "Physics, Collision Detection, Ray Casting, Audio" I think he said

Nothing new, all has been said before in other interviews or in his presentations.

Honestly, I would like to see the Knack team move onto a JRPG or something different. There is talent there but a game like Knack isn't going to highlight all of it.

DBT85

Wonder if they price Knack cheaper seeing that Cerny keeps on saying that it's a small title.

I am wondering this as well. I will be waiting for the reveiws to hit for all next-gen games before picking one up, but I really hope Knack is good. If it gets 7-8s I'll be picking it up for sure.

I don't doubt that Knack will not be a full priced title.

I fully expect them to finally embrace putting games out at different price points accordingly. Not every game needs to be $60 and not every game will sell at that price. I'm guessing it'll be a $40 game.

avaya

Smartest guy in the room most places he turns up, and still so fucking endearing.

Sony lucked the fuck out here.

Having read a lot about Cerny's work for Sony in the late 2000s, I knew when he was introduced as the architect in February shit was about to get real.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
95 % is not serious. Lot of people like him because he seems to be good for the PS brand and PS4 and is also a very good speaker. Some people cannot distinguish between people on GAF/internet riding with the joke wave and real creeps. Same thing with people concerned over the Kaz thread and Kaz "maniacs" or nintendo avatars.

And now get out of our tub please.

Lol, I was being oddly sarcastic. That's why I put the tub comment after. I completely get it honestly.

Mario007

I don't doubt that Knack will not be a full priced title.

I fully expect them to finally embrace putting games out at different price points accordingly. Not every game needs to be $60 and not every game will sell at that price. I'm guessing it'll be a $40 game.
Well they are doing it this gen with titles like Rachet, Sly or the Puppeteer being 40 or even 30 euro so I hope they continue that to next gen. Having Knack for 40 euro would be really nice, and a much easier second game pick up. This is especially so since Cerny is certainly treating it as a his hobby rather than job and he did say that the team is rather small.

Top Bottom