• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Rumor: Gears Of War Kinect At VGAs [Update 2: Teaser Trailer In OP]

Thoraxes

I can wish: "Gears of War Trilogy Collection announced for the PS3"
Hell, i'd even be happy if they brought 2 and 3 to the PC, my preference of gaming devices.

Thoraxes said:
I can wish: "Gears of War Trilogy Collection announced for the PS3"
Hell, i'd even be happy if they brought 2 and 3 to the PC, my preference of gaming devices.

I'm all for bringing the Gears goodness to as many people as possible, but I think they have an exclusivity deal with MS. I'm sure Epic would love to put these on PC and even PS3.

Thoraxes

_dementia said:
I'm all for bringing the Gears goodness to as many people as possible, but I think they have an exclusivity deal with MS. I'm sure Epic would love to put these on PC and even PS3.

I did some browsing, and this comment from Rein seems "legit".

"Rein: “We own the Gears of War IP, not Microsoft”"

http://www.playstationuniversity.com/rein-we-own-the-gears-of-war-ip-not-microsoft-3119/

http://www.vg247.com/2010/03/15/rein-epic-owns-gears-ip-can-do-what-we-want-with-it/

I'll do some more digging around though.

Rad-

Microsoft has a small team just made to help the development of Gears and Shadow Complex series. Why would they help if the games went to PS3?

TheOddOne

Rad- said:
Microsoft has a small team just made to help the development of Gears and Shadow Complex series. Why would they help if the games went to PS3?
That team is now Good Science.

Only the publishing team is active now.

Hardly doubt it will end up on the PS3, because unlike other ''exclusive'' deals Microsoft Game Studios this time is firmly rooted in the development (see credits on Moby games).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Im pretty sure Microsoft will be doing everything they can to keep the Gears franchise with Xbox for as long as possible. Its not going anywhere anytime soon.

Thoraxes said:
I did some browsing, and this comment from Rein seems "legit".

"Rein: “We own the Gears of War IP, not Microsoft”"

Microsoft are the publisher and they get to choose the platforms. Hence the cancellation of Alan Wake's PC version.

Valve own the Orange Box games IP's but EA were publishers and went out of their way to put the games on the PS3.

I was thinking: remember the amazing 3d-head tracking demo with the wiimote (this)?

Maybe this new Gears Kinect could be using the same idea, while keeping standard controls for movement and shooting and implementing some sort of gesture-based squad commands or special actions.

I guess it's something easily doable, that will surely have a huge impact on the public (imagine the ads and PR for this: "no glasses-works-on-all-tv 3D only on Kinect").

And they could even sell it with the beta access code for Gears 3 for maximum profit.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Advertising it as glassesless 3D would be false, but head tracking is always a possibility.

EatChildren said:
Advertising it as glassesless 3D would be false, but head tracking is always a possibility.

Well, it is a 3d effect. It isn't true stereoscopic 3d, but the effect it's there and it's immediately recognizable by anyone.

I don't think anyone could argue against the effect working quite well.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
metareferential said:
I was thinking: remember the amazing 3d-head tracking demo with the wiimote (this)?

Maybe this new Gears Kinect could be using the same idea, while keeping standard controls for movement and shooting and implementing some sort of gesture-based squad commands or special actions.

I guess it's something easily doable, that will surely have a huge impact on the public (imagine the ads and PR for this: "no glasses-works-on-all-tv 3D only on Kinect").

And they could even sell it with the beta access code for Gears 3 for maximum profit.

Side note, but being the pedantic type, I think it's worth distinguishing this technique from stereoscopic ones.

It's called 'head-motion parallax'. It's not directly comparable to stereoscopic techniques, ones that use glasses or ones that don't. It does provide a different (and useful) additional 3D cue though. It would be ideal to combine both types of technique.

I'm not sure how useful it would actually be though, at 'living room' distance. Minor head motions wouldn't yield dramatic perspective shifts relative to a TV at the opposite side of a typical living room, I don't think. Also being pedantic, but it's a technique doable on any camera that can do headtracking - there's a DSi game, even, that uses this technique.

edit - sort of beaten anyway...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Also, I do not think this is about PS3 Gears games. He says in the teaser that they're going to show 'new gears gameplay' - new gameplay that will have people talking? I think that's a lot more congruent with the IGN rumour about a Kinect spinoff.

gofreak said:
I'm not sure how useful it would actually be though, at 'living room' distance. Minor head motions wouldn't yield dramatic perspective shifts relative to a TV at the opposite side of a typical living room, I don't think. Also being pedantic, but it's a technique doable on any camera that can do headtracking - there's a DSi game, even, that uses this technique.

edit - sort of beaten anyway...

Viewing distance is a concern, and rightfully so.

My point simply was that adding such a simple - yet impressive - feature could give Kinect and Microsoft a few chances of wowing more and more people.

I mean, imagine a Gears Kinect being shown to the public in stores using that technique: it would surely impress customers, and generate a significant buzz (not that Kinect needs more of it, to be honest xD).

And if Gears Kinect turns out to be just another on-rail shooter, the head-motion-parallax will make it seem new and fresh, despite the limitations.

Pooya

IGN rumor says that it might be an existing gears game with Kinect features and not necessarily a new game. I say it's Gears1+2 SP with Kinect gameplay, not sure how though.

EatChildren

metareferential said:
Well, it is a 3d effect. It isn't true stereoscopic 3d, but the effect it's there and it's immediately recognizable by anyone.

I don't think anyone could argue against the effect working quite well.

Sure, but I dont think it could be marketed as 3D. Its far from the kind of 3D the mass market has come to understand from cinema and 3D TV.

And I dont know why people keep mentioning Sony. Gears is not going to the PS3. Epic might own the IP, but its one of the Xbox's biggest cash cows. Microsoft will throw everything they can at Epic to keep the IP exclusive.

EatChildren said:
Sure, but I dont think it could be marketed as 3D. Its far from the kind of 3D the mass market has come to understand from cinema and 3D TV.

Fair enough, but I don't think they'll be ashamed of pushing it as a new kind or a different kind of 3d, knowing Ms.

The problem is that for the effect to work the viewer has to move. Other than that (and out-of-screen effects), the illusion of depth is quite astonishing.

Even that DSI game still impresses me, even after having been exposed to stereoscopic 3d on my pc or in cinemas.

But yes, they shouldn't market it as glasses-free 3d. Though the potential for PR-trolling is huge :lol

FrankT

Mesijs said:
Gears on PS3?

Yes am certain Xbox twitter would be pimping that out heh. I should add with Gears 3 exclusive I don't see that happening for quite some time. In fact Cliffy said the essentially the same thing on that Kotaku podcast last year(not happening anytime soon).

miladesn said:
IGN rumor says that it might be an existing gears game with Kinect features and not necessarily a new game. I say it's Gears1+2 SP with Kinect gameplay, not sure how though.

They seem a little open about it being either a new game or an existing one with Kinect. Boring if true for 1 and 2. Personally more interested in these other action titles they say are going to be announced, but I have my doubts.

Kafel

Banned
Yep :

Bleszinski explains missing Gears 3 VGA announcement
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=280752
"One thing I've learned in the world of video games; it's a war out there," he said, explaining the absence of the promised reveal.

"There's a lot of strategizing going on and at any point something may shift due to a strategic move that needs to happen. So I came out here potentially announcing something, it turns out the timing's not right."

derFeef

Weird. He makes it sound like as if this "war" happens inside Microsoft and it certainly does not make sense otherwise. Why would MS cancel one of their own announcements if they have the opportunity to boast at the VGAs with two reveals?

TheOddOne

derFeef said:
Weird. He makes it sound like as if this "war" happens inside Microsoft and it certainly does not make sense otherwise. Why would MS cancel one of their own announcements if they have the opportunity to boast at the VGAs with two reveals?
Maby they had beef with the management of the VGA's? Maby pushed aside for something else?

S1kkZ

TheOddOne said:
Maby they had beef with the management of the VGA's? Maby pushed aside for something else?
they dont need to show a new kinect game yet (if it really was a gears kinect game). the sales for kinect are great, so maybe they want to wait until the sales drop after christmas.

Rad-

derFeef said:

Like I mentioned earlier, to me it sounds like what MS did with ODST announcement. They delayed it to a time when they "need it more".

szaromir

Banned
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
I'd say it was delayed mostly to give Forza 4 more exposure.
Yes, so that FM4 competes with 11 games instead of 12. Makes perfect sense.

Well, it doesn't. Microsoft screwed Epic and Gears of War's fans for some rather unjustified reason.

Sony's Uncharted, Kratos in MK and Resistance trailers were probably gonna overshadow the Gears/kinect title.

Best reason I can think of why they would delay the announcement.

S1kkZ

szaromir said:

Well, it doesn't. Microsoft screwed Epic and Gears of War's fans for some rather unjustified reason.
bullshit. f4 got a lot more attention without a second big 360 exclusice announcement.
f4 was the only 360 exclusive that was shown, so all the 360 fans focus is on that game. plus: the gt5 situation (disappointing reviews and sales (only in the us).

szaromir

Banned
S1kkZ said:
bullshit. f4 got a lot more attention without a second big 360 exclusice announcement.
f4 was the only 360 exclusive that was shown, so all the 360 fans focus is on that game.
I don't think that many people are obsessed with "360 only!!!!!!!!!!111!" announcements.

derFeef

S1kkZ said:
f4 was the only 360 exclusive that was shown, so all the 360 fans focus is on that game. plus: the gt5 situation (disappointing reviews and sales (only in the us).
They would have shown F4 nonetheless and it is big enough on it´s own. It certainly would not have hurt MS showing a second game. It just makes no sense.

szaromir said:

It's the only Xbox 360 exclusive that was announced and if Gears was there as well, it would have gotten even less attention. Yes, I do believe it makes sense.

Top Bottom