• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Rumor: Gears Of War Kinect At VGAs [Update 2: Teaser Trailer In OP]

JaggedSac

I was fiddling with the calibration the other day and noticed that Kinect would put the little blue dot(denoting a point of interest,such as the head, hand, etc) on the controller when I was holding it with both hands. This would allow for players to do some motion based movements without letting go of the controller. Just moving your controller to the left and right could trigger your character to lean left or right(which might be more comfortable and less tiring than leaning). Just another possible ability to use with hybrid games.

expy

Banned
TheOddOne said:
I did read that article back when it was released. And it does nothing to invalidate the potential usage required.

Not all features are created equal, you can totally imagine a game that's using practically the entire of the Xbox 360 and still uses identity recognition.
Not only does that piece of the sentence sound awkward, but is very vague in its description of "entire", 80%+, 90%+, 95%+? Could still be 91% for all we know.

You can have a game that uses a small vocabulary of voice recognition that will still have pretty much 100 per cent of the processing
Given how limited the current voice recognition dictionary is, it's not surprising that just this feature wouldn't cost much in terms of resources. Hell, it's already implemented in non-Kinect games.

Prine said:
Not at all, if that were true it would be rejected by everyone here.

What? Kinect doesn't need to be accurate, 1:1, or "very" reliable for the current set of games released for the device. For the casual games that make up practically its entire library, it's not really that important.

expy said:
I did read that article back when it was released. And it does nothing to invalidate the potential usage required.

Not only does that piece of the sentence sound awkward, but is very vague in its description of "entire", 80%+, 90%+, 95%+? Could still be 91% for all we know.

Given how limited the current voice recognition dictionary is, it's not surprising that just this feature wouldn't cost much in terms of resources. Hell, it's already implemented in non-Kinect games.

What? Kinect doesn't need to be accurate, 1:1, or "very" reliable for the current set of games released for the device. For the casual games that make up practically its entire library, it's not really that important.
launch line-up != entire library.

kinect is accurate, albeit with a built in lag.

TheOddOne

expy said:

The notion that this will stay forever, really suprises me coming from you. You can dig up this info but can't seem to find that Kinect is software based. Itself is built on libraries that are constantly evolving.

LCfiner

RPGCrazied said:
I'm not a shooter fan, but watch they make this required to play Gears III. That would be over $200 to play one game.

they are not doing that. CliffyB confirmed there's no Kinect support in Gears 3.

expy said:

It can be pretty important in some games, but never mind that. How about a shooter type experience on Kinect? Child of Eden is the closest we've got so far and here are the Gamersyde impressions:

Blimblim said:
I've played the game quite extensively (E3 level with Kinect, and a brand new one with the stick). Embargo is on the 28th, but I can at least say that it takes about 30 seconds to get used to the slight lag while playing with Kinect (I'd say that the lag on my video in the OP is worse than what I played, or maybe I just didn't notice it anymore), and then afterwards it's quite awesome. And this comes from someone who hates Kinect about as much as anyone can.

DJmizuhaqra said:
I walked away from the demo wanting to play it more, (I played it 9 times during the press event) as it was like no other game I've ever played before. In fact, it's not a game in my eyes, it's an experience, an experience I've never had the pleasure of experiencing up until now. Kinect gave me a new experience of controller free gaming, something I didn't think was possible given today's technology. Even at this early stage of development, I feel that Mizuguchi has delivered on Microsoft's promise of controller free gaming. I felt like a conductor conducting and electronic light show. After the press event had finished, all I could think about for the next few days was Child of Eden. Mizuguchi has sold me on the technology I didn't think I wanted. Suffice to say, Child of Eden blew me away with its stunning visuals and perfectly paced music.

Child of Eden was my game of TGS, I smile just thinking about.

It will never be as accurate as a standard controller, but it should be good enough for some core experiences.

Arnie

"It's not what you're expecting", says Cliff.

Well thanks for that, because now we know it's not Gears of War 3 (what everyone is expecting), combined with the juicy, cocksure Kinect rumour from IGN, we all pretty much know you're going to show some new Gears of War game featuring Kinect.

Now I just hope it isn't shit. My guess is it's a hybrid RTS with voice and controller commands combined. I think it'll be set during the Pendulum Wars and the main goal is to get the Immulsion.

Arnie said:
"It's not what you're expecting", says Cliff.

Well thanks for that, because now we know it's not Gears of War 3 (what everyone is expecting), combined with the juicy, cocksure Kinect rumour from IGN, we all pretty much know you're going to show some new Gears of War game featuring Kinect.

Now I just hope it isn't shit. My guess is it's a hybrid RTS with voice and controller commands combined. I think it'll be set during the Pendulum Wars and the main goal is to get the Immulsion.
I would play this.

Arnie

_dementia said:
I would play this.
The best thing is, if they just copy a CoH structure they can't really fail. The game is built around cover after all, so if you controlled small individual COG squads it would be manageable for the average console RTS player, fit the game's overall design very well and have the fictional basis to be fighting over these resources.

I would enjoy Thrashball Kinect too though.

Shurs said:
Gears Kinect confirmed.
With "you" he means us, the hardcore gamer, who know what's going on in the gaming industry, who are actually expecting a Kinect confirmation for this title, and since he said it's not what we're expecting hence I doubt it's going to have anything to do with Kinect.

Fredescu

Arnie said:
The best thing is, if they just copy a CoH structure they can't really fail. The game is built around cover after all, so if you controlled small individual COG squads it would be manageable for the average console RTS player, fit the game's overall design very well and have the fictional basis to be fighting over these resources.
Probably more Dawn of War 2 than CoH. Man, if that happens I may just have to buy one of these kinect things.

Fredescu

metareferential said:
While awesome, that's what Halo Wars 2 will be (I mean rts with Kinect).
Dawn of War 2 isn't really an RTS. The single player anyway. It's more like a party based RPG with RTS trappings, where you direct squads towards an objective over an RTS like map with a cover system etc. No base building at all.

Fredescu said:
Dawn of War 2 isn't really an RTS. The single player anyway. It's more like a party based RPG with RTS trappings, where you direct squads towards an objective over an RTS like map with a cover system etc. No base building at all.

Yeah, of course, I was referring to the first idea "light-rts with voice commands, etc".

But I think that Microsoft would rather have something to attract core gamers, something more - should I say dudebro? - and maybe less clever, from a design point of view.

A Dawn of War 2-esque Gears of War spin-off is an incredibly intriguing idea.

But it's not something that will get the masses swarming to the stores, I guess.

GavinGT

Banned
_dementia said:
"not what you're expecting"

okay, not he's got me intrigued

Well, it is what we're expecting. It's just not what SpikeTV's audience is expecting.

They would expect to tune in and see some Gears 3. Only super nerds like us know about the IGN Kinect rumor.

FoneBone

_dementia said:
I thought Cliff specifically said it wasn't Kinect related?
For the 500th time, he specifically said that Gears of War 3 wouldn't use Kinect. He conspicuously avoided addressing the rumor more broadly, which is a non-denial denial if I've ever seen one.

FoneBone said:
For the 500th time, he specifically said that Gears of War 3 wouldn't use Kinect. He conspicuously avoided addressing the rumor more broadly, which is a non-denial denial if I've ever seen one.
Ah, I see. So even Gears of War 2 Kinect is a (slim) possibility.
Kusagari said:
So Gears RTS, Gears 1 remake on Kinect, Gears rail shooter...

What will it be guys?!
Maybe Gear 1 Kinectimake to test the waters for a full-blown kinect GoW4?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
_dementia said:
Ah, I see. So even Gears of War 2 Kinect is a possibility.

Yep, or a Gears game specifically for Kinect. Anything that isn't Gears 3.

Rad-

TheOddOne said:
Yeah, they are totally going to show a XBLA game at the VGA's!

What would be so strange about that? Epic's not that big of a studio. XBLA game would make even more sense actually.

goldenpp72

Rad- said:
What would be so strange about that? Epic's not that big of a studio. XBLA game would make even more sense actually.

Ill be mad, I want a purple box with gears of war on the cover.

Alx

I can't see many exciting ways to use a kinect in a game like Gears of War, but I'll give Epic the benefit of doubt until they show the game. After all, game designers are paid to be more creative than common people like us. ;)

MjFrancis

Rail shooter, chainsaw massacre or just some good old-fashioned rochambeau. That's what I see coming. It's actually an amusing minigame in my head, Marcus Fenix and General RAAM in a dark, gritty Locust wormhole playing rock-paper-scissors to decide the fate of humanity. Winner chainsaws the shit out of the loser.

Think about it, Epic.

Top Bottom