• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Rumor: Gears Of War Kinect At VGAs [Update 2: Teaser Trailer In OP]

RedStep

DaBuddaDa said:
This is the most half-assed attempt to "appeal to the hardcore" you could ever imagine. Pathetic.

Keeping in mind, of course, that there is only a very general rumor, and no person here actually has any idea what it might or might not be.

But, yeah, totally pathetic.

Sydle

And the cycle starts over. I like the part where GAF realizes they're wrong and they have to come to grips with a reality they don't understand.

M3d10n

Y2Kev said:
Why do you need kinect for voice commands? why couldn't you just use a headset?
Didn't you hear? Kinect has special magic inside it which makes voice recognition work. That's why it costs $150, you would never be able to do the same with a $1.45 headset.

SaintR

Snuggler said:
It's obviously not gonna be "fully Natal", most likely the hybrid controls we've heard about. I can see it using voice recognition, motion for nade tossing, motion for executions - stuff like that, but it's not like you can control a character's 3D movement with Natal. You're not gonna be walking/roadie running in place and aiming/shooting your gun at the same time using Natal.

Really, it's the best of both worlds.
I don't think Amirox is being serious...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
chubigans said:
First screen:

gearsofkinect.jpg
The hand with the cog is such a subtle touch :lol

webrunner

Finally a kinect game you aren't supposed to move your coffee table for!

You have to crouch behind it (note: you may need to buy a second coffee table and stack it to reach chest-high)

spookyfish

I pretty much thought this was the reason for Gears 3 delay. It may not be a 'full kinect' game, but I'm willing to bet some functionality will be in there.

Ah, I see Epic has said nope. Interesting.

GavinGT said:
He didn't squash the rumor. He just said it won't be in GoW3.

Yep - if the IGN rumor had been completely false, he would probably have said unequivocally that there is no Kinect-enabled GoW title in development. Reading comprehension, people...

Atomski

I hope its a kinect/controller hybrid. Lean around corners and such.

Be funny if you played it standing up and had to crouch to get behind stuff. ugh what a workout. :lol

Yeah there is almost zero way to add Kinect functionality to Gears 3. Mechanically there is absolutely nothing that would work with Kinect, and even something as simple as added voice commands would serve absolutely no purpose in a game like Gears.

I'm excited to hear Cliff claim that Kinect won't be used with Gears. Opens up some chance that maybe something outside the box will be made. Survival horror Kinect experience would be nice.

If they could use Kinect for head tracking so you can control the game camera by moving your head, that would be pretty useful. I'd much rather be able to control the camera that way than have to use an analog stick.

Fantastical said:
He said Gears 3. Not Gears.

I know that but from the announced features and just from what I've played of the series I can't imagine how Kinect could ever add to Gears3 other than something completely off the wall. The announced and current mechanics just don't lend themselves to Kinect whatsoever.

dankir

I'm calling it! Gears of War RTS with voice commands and Xbox 360 controls for FPS parts a la Rainbow 6.

BOOK IT!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
dankir said:
I'm calling it! Gears of War RTS with voice commands and Xbox 360 controls for FPS parts a la Rainbow 6.

BOOK IT!

The most plausible thing we've heard so far, although I'm not sure of the FPS part. Something like Gears Wars.

it's kinda hard to think of realistic Natal functions in "core" genres.

Sean

Banned
Here's the rumor from the OP, re-read it carefully:

According to our tip, Microsoft is using the Spike TV Video Games Awards (VGAs) to introduce some big action games, including new titles for the Kinect. The headliner is Gears of War for Kinect, coming straight from Epic Games. Now, we cannot clarify whether or not this is an all-new Gears of War for Kinect or if it's an existing Gears of War game, retro-fitted for the camera controller. But it definitely clicks with recent rumblings that Microsoft wants to get in front of the conventional wisdom that the Kinect is only a toy for casual gamers and family.

Cliffy only denied one possibility (that Gears 3 would be retro-fitted for Kinect). Unless IGN is completely wrong, that would mean there's an additional title in the Gears universe for Kinect.

I'm guessing it'll be something for XBLA that bridges the gap between Gears 2 and 3. Or some kind of spin-off in another genre or something. Can't really see them announcing a new full-fledged Gears title an entire year before GoW3 comes out.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
This will be a "Heavy Rain" game about Maria and Dom. The main theme - family life and the complexity of husband-wife relationship.

Step into the future, yo!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
subversus said:
This will be a "Heavy Rain" game about Maria and Dom. The main theme - family life and the complexity of husband-wife relationship.

Step into the future, yo!

or maybe it's a Dom-based psychological game about coping with your wife being put into a monster chamber

Karram

Here is my theory. Gears of war 3 was delayed just so it could come out after the Kinect Gears of war game which will probably take place between Gears 2 and 3 and come with a beta key. I also think it will be a controller and Kinect hybrid.

Top Bottom