• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's on their defective PS4 [Up: Sony - less than 0.4% of shipped units affected]

Pop

So this will be unpopular, but I strongly feel there are always tiny, seemingly inconsequential clues that one can use to predict certain things.

When I saw the wobbling console, it occured to me that someone within Sony probably noticed that, weighed the pros and cons, looked at the ship dates and budgets and then decided it was "ok".

Now, that was probably the right call. A slightly wobblable console is a complete non-issue. But it does hint at the incredible pressure of ship deadlines and what sort of things they can let slip.

You know you might be right. However, one streamer earlier this morning said the wobble was bullshit. I'm not saying it doesn't wobble, clearly does. Just don't press down on your freaking console haha

mocoworm

I can't see the issue.

If you get a defective console, just swap it for a new one on your manufacturer warranty. No-one will be out of pocket from faulty hardware.

It's like the RROD on the 360. MS picked it up, repaired it and shipped it back to me within 4 days for free when I got the lights and that was when it was out of warranty.

Ubiquitar

Neo Member
Well, I'm going to be opening up my box in about 34 hours from now. So that means I will be watching attentively for any signs of failure, what not to do's, etc. I really, really hope it goes smooth. I have to play Lego with my boy for crying out loud!

RPGCrazied

This is what happens when you buy launch consoles. One of the big reason why I wait it out. Not only does it get a price cut, but it usually gets a newer look and better games. I think its worth waiting, even if a couple years.

mocoworm

You know you might be right. However, one streamer earlier this morning said the wobble was bullshit. I'm not saying it doesn't wobble, clearly does. Just don't press down on your freaking console haha

Why is wobbling an issue?

Nestunt

And you can just as easily make the argument that the data is only coming in because PS4s failing is a big deal, and people want to make noise about it. Not saying that this is MS astroturfing or anything, but anyone making a stink about their PS4 not working is going to get serious attention. How many people were watching that twitch stream? Exactly.

You could triple the failure rate from what we have sampled so far and it would be a win for Sony over past generations. Does it look good right now? Well, no, not to the 'sky is falling' crowd. But if you look at comparable devices, it's pretty golden.

No one wants to get a PS4 that is DOA. It's brand new, you spent money, you want something that works. But we're dealing with a mass produced piece of hardware here. It's going to happen. XB1 will have problems, I assure you.

I know HariKari

but starting to do contagion/infection rates at this point is a big big mistake

you still dont even know the disease

its incurring in the mistake of linearity and after all these years with console experience we all know that this is not a linear phenomenon. Heck, this silicon is everything but linear

I am not worried, because I knew the risk I took when i preordered, but because of that I cant look at this incidents and start building math models that justify my choice, its far more complex than that. In the end it all comes to the confidence you have in the history of these big corporations (and their chain of suppliers) for a present analysis

I can't see the issue.

If you get a defective console, just swap it for a new one on your manufacturer warranty. No-one will be out of pocket from faulty hardware.

It's like the RROD on the 360. MS picked it up, repaired it and shipped it back to me within 4 days for free when I got the lights and that was when it was out of warranty.

You won't get a new one. They'll probably repair it or replace it with one they refurbished. If my console is defective within 30 days, it's going right back to Amazon.

iJudged

Banned
A mass recall would destroy Sony. I don't even know why some of you are even bringing up the mass recall. If it was that bad we would know by now. Regardless, we will find out in 24 hours just how bad the failure rate is. TBH, I am more looking forward to seeing how xbone does in this department.

I can't see the issue.

I see your point.. but I went through 6 360's... first one went away came back in a week.. by the time I got to my 6th when it went back it took them a month to get it back to me...

K' Dash

I'm thinking it is maybe a "lucky batch" of consoles that got this HDMI issue, but the guy in the twitch feed last night wasn't having and HDMI connector problem.

I'll be watching all of this closely and as I said in the other thread, I think if this goes widespread without a solution I won't even open my box and just sell it.

A mass recall would destroy Sony. I don't even know why some of you are even bringing up the mass recall. If it was that bad we would know by now. Regardless, we will find out in 24 hours just how bad the failure rate is. TBH, I am more looking forward to seeing how xbone does in this department.

Sony will make up the cost from people who did B2G1 free deal on Amazon and got Knack and Killzone

I can't see the issue.

It would certainly cost Sony quite a bit if it is a widespread issue. I'm sure they were looking forward to making a profit on the PS4 much quicker than they did on the PS3. Hopefully it is not a widespread issue.

skc

Banned
Why is wobbling an issue?

It's not, but do you think Sony purposely designed it to wobble?

No.

Do you think there's a team of hardware designers at Sony that are furious that they didn't have the time to rectify it?

Most definitely.

All I was saying is that deadlines means you have to accept a certain number of tradeoffs in quality control.

Bgamer90

Banned
Defective rates of both the PS4 and Xbox One will be blown to proportions thanks to social media.

Too soon to say if it's a huge problem. It is a bit interesting that both IGN and Kotaku are having issues though.

I can't see the issue.

Seeing as how MS got 15% of the XB1 produced by Foxconn as well, and the rest was also put together by other Chinese firms, it will be quite interesting to see if they have similar issues.

Ganondolf

I can't see the issue.

it will get replaced but the hassle and that you might not get a replacement till next year (due to supply). also think about the people who are buying it as presents for their kids at xmas. worse xmas ever lol.

it seems at the moment that there is a few different issues:

1. problem after update.
2. problem is console crashes whilst downloading game.
3. faulty (loose) hdmi port.

2 of these can be fixed by software updates and hopefully the hdmi is just a single batch or something.

Right now I'm not panicked. I'm not trying to be some fanboy trying to cool a shitstorm or anything. I just dont think its bigger than the random Wii U issues that turned out to be nothing as of right now.

Not first time a Sony update has bricked consoles, if true.

Unforgivable if this happens again. Test your firmware updates.

This is what I'm more worried about. Sony does make very good hardware, it's the software for the hardware I've always been cautious of.

only bombs now
8 (maybe) out of 4000?

I could list the odds of more common, every day occurrences, but instead i'm just gonna leave and stay hyped about my launch edition which moved to "preparing to ship" on Amazon this morning.

+ my sides still hurt from the twitch stream of the dude w/ the broken console last night.

Nyx

sky is falling?

No but yeah but no but yeah but no

little_britain.jpg

Pop

it will get replaced but the hassle and that you might not get a replacement till next year (due to supply). also think about the people who are buying it as presents for their kids at xmas. worse xmas ever lol.

it seems at the moment that there is a few different issues:

1. problem after update.
2. problem is console crashes whilst downloading game.
3. faulty (loose) hdmi port.

2 of these can be fixed by software updates and hopefully the hdmi is just a single batch or something.

I'm hoping this problem was just a mishap by those people. Maybe they didn't have it in all the way. Or the hdmi cord Sony gives us just doesn't fit right or others didn't put it in tight enough.

skc

Banned
It wasn't a tradeoff.. its a design decision.. that is the point.. its a non issue

So it's supposed to wobble when laid flat?

I think that's bullshit especially since it's being reported that not all of them wobble as much as the gifs we've seen here.

zpiders

Millions of these devices have been made, of course there will be issues for a few unlucky people. Same thing will happen with the Xbox One.

Ray665

Hope this isn't a thing, it would be a shame.

But now I don't feel so bad that I cant afford it right away, hopefully everything will be fine by the time I have some extra cash.

Dougald

a product has a warranty of 1 year in the uk. these (few) machines have gone faulty in a couple of days. the working ones could go faulty in a month or two.

by the end of the warranty period it could easily pass 20% if there is a manufacturing problem involved.

Two years or more, though after whatever warranty your store claims you get expires the burden of proof is on you to prove fault at manufacture

gruenel

It's not, but do you think Sony purposely designed it to wobble?

No.

Do you think there's a team of hardware designers at Sony that are furious that they didn't have the time to rectify it?

Most definitely.

All I was saying is that deadlines means you have to accept a certain number of tradeoffs in quality control.

So you're saying it's not a design decision and Sony put those 3 rubber feet there by mistake? Because they "didn't have time" to place 4 rubber feet in the corners?

Damn.

I think that's bullshit especially since it's being reported that not all of them wobble as much as the gifs we've seen here.

It only wobbles when you push down on the glossy side.. unless you go out of your way to push down on it.. it won't wobble..

it would be better if they were all the same issue. Then a mass recall could take place.

lots of different issues means there is no guarantee that all of them ever get fixed.

But it does mean that they are potentially just isolated incidents that will occur in a very small percentage of units. This is more inline with every major hardware launch. Every iPhone launch people have various isolated issues, but they don't effect the entire line. If it was one issue, it would be a PS4 issue. Where as these current issue are general hardware problems. If you read reviews for TV's you will find people who got a TV with a faulty HDMI port. Computer reviews will tell you about faulty GPU's etc. If the issue was due to overheating or potentially faulty GPU's in all units or bad hard drives or one issue across the board, then it is a PS4 issue and that would be a larger cause for concern.

A lot of these seem to be hardware issues.

Going back to the TEARDOWN video it seems like the system would be very vulnerable to aggressive handling and impact

you think these are getting damaged in shipping?

inner-G

Banned

It doesn't wobble when laid flat.

It only wobbles if a person is actively wobbling it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's called a cantilever design. This is not a new innovation, lol. It uses a heavily weighted but uneven support structure to balance the device. This is not cutting corners or being cheap. In fact, it would be cheaper to put shitty plastic feet on all four corners and be done with it but Sony opted not to for aesthetic reasons (as far as I can tell) when the system is vertical. It also gives the appearance the right side of the device is hovering above the table. This indicates they actually thought about this and made a decision to "wobble" the device.

It's not going to move when it's in use. That is the point of the weighting. It shouldn't scratch disks if you press down on it as the disk drive moves a couple mms at most even if you rock the thing up and down. And still if you don't like this decision you can either put it vertical where it is level with the table or you can put like a playing card under the thing.

Wobblegate is truly the most stunning case of media amplification I can think of. It's not a "feature" or whatever but it's not a defect.

Tomorrow should be interesting as we get to see tons more people pick up a system. Hopefully these cases are isolated and only seem bigger because of the huge presence of social media. I'd like to hope that Sony adequate QA tested their console.

I think the social media aspect has a lot to do with it. Look how far we've come in that regard from 2005/2006 to now.

ElfArmy177

I'm actually considering waiting now. I don't wanna spend 400 and be disappointed and then waste time sending it in. For only 4000 consoles out, this seems like a rather large amount of people, as I'm sure there are those who are not saying anything about it.

ugh

Top Bottom