• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm surprised that Mel Brook's Spaceballs seems generally disliked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheYanger

Ehh. idk we had all this weird spaceballs toilet paper as a kid and it made me associate the movie with pooping, so I was never into it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Growing up, I watched SpaceBalls multiple times before watching any of the Star Wars movies. How crazy!
Me too. I loved it, despite not having seen any of the movies it spoofs. Watched it again a few years ago and I still enjoyed it a lot.

Great movie. I really like that kind of silly humor. It still feels relevant, as I was kinda expecting a "We brake for nobody" bumper sticker during the opening scene in The Force Awakens due to the massive size of that ship.

I remember watching it as a kid and thinking it was just dumb and I didn't really enjoy it at all. I should rewatch it and see if my feelings have changed.

In case if anyone needed a reminder of this train wreck...

And before you asked. Yes, it was a thing, it was shown on public television, and the show itself was a piece of shit.

I remember being excited for that, then it got delayed, then they showed the first trailer and said most (all?) of the original cast wasn't returning and I was like, "Nahhhh". Haven't seen THAT particular trailer (what's Princess Peach doing there?), but yep, what cheap animation.

I think that trilogy of Mel Brooks parody movies is fun, but I can see why people don't like it. It's not as bad as those Scary Movie spinoffs, but it's pretty low brow and not as smart as his earlier films.

Also I agree about Hot Shots being the weakest of the Zucker films, for much the same reason, they just go all out in goofiness. It's entertaining, but not as good.

I don't think anyone today generally regards Spaceballs as a bad movie. I think the reason why the movie was so divisive back in the day is that it came out in the late 80s years after Jedi came out when the series was starting to wane in popularity and critics felt like Brooks was a little late to the boat doing a Star Wars parody. Now Star Wars is everywhere so it's a non-issue. It's my favorite Mel Brook's movie and easily the most quotable.

I think it's a good film, but the humor is outdated. Might be why it's getting low ratings today.

I think it's funny as hell, but it's not the kind of humor people look for now.

This is a very important distinction.

A movie might have been great when it first came out, but might not hold out as well as others and if it was watched by someone with no prior experience today, maybe it wouldn't even be considered good. Other movies might not have been as great at their time of release, but might be less dated and hold out better.

I remember The Goonies being great when I was a kid. I tried to watch it recently and couldn't get past 15 minutes. It was embarrassing.

I've never met anyone who hated spaceballs?

tumblr_md8rw5rj2O1r8f82jo1_500.jpg

cr0w

Old Member
I don't like Spaceballs at all. I can't believe it came from the same person that made Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein.

Then again, I'm not a Star Wars fan either, so that probably didn't help.

This is a very important distinction.

A movie might have been great when it first came out, but might not hold out as well as others and if it was watched by someone with no prior experience today, maybe it wouldn't even be considered good. Other movies might not have been as great at their time of release, but might be less dated and hold out better.

I remember The Goonies being great when I was a kid. I tried to watch it recently and couldn't get past 15 minutes. It was embarrassing.

I still love Goonies, but it's certainly a movie that you had to grow up watching. The theme, acting, jokes, etc doesn't translate well now

The same can be said for Mel Brooks too. A movie like Blazing Saddles, for as great as it is, just would not do very well right now. You can apply this same thought to some of his other hits too. His humor and approach to topical things is very of his time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom