• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today 27 years ago Spaceballs came out

Status
Not open for further replies.

e_i

My favorite part:

"What's that man's name!?"
"Asshole, sir."
"I know that! What's his name?"
"That is his name, sir. Asshole. Major asshole."
"How many assholes do we have on this ship anyway?"
Half the crew stands up.
"Great, I'm surrounded my assholes. Keep firing assholes!"

My favorite movie of all time!

My favorite quote (or one of many):
"What's the combination?"

"That's amazing! I have the same combination on my luggage!"

%D1%84%D0%BE%D1%82%D0%BE-%D0%BA%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%BF%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%B9-spaceballs-%D0%BA%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%BC%D0%B8%D1%87%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B5-%D1%8F%D0%B9%D1%86%D0%B0-741757.gif

Rokam

Grew up watching the movie a lot. I think we have about 5 or 6 copies of the movie. I feel bad for my parents for how much I made them let me watch it. I can perfectly mimic Colonel Sander's voice during the ludicrous speed scene. My proudest achievement in life.

Schmitty

So freaking good. This movie never gets old.

Whenever I eat/drink something too hot or step into a shower that is too hot, I always say, "HOT, TOO HOT".

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I haven't watched this in its entirety in so long. I need to get on that before it inevitably disappears from Netflix.

Oddly enough, just yesterday I was thinking about it (the "Spaceballs?! Oh shit... there goes the planet" line popped into my head) and couldn't remember why it's actually called Spaceballs. What is a Spaceball?

Stopmotionkai

Neo Member
As much as i like space balls, it always hurts that a lot of friends i know interpret star wars through this and will not try the actual star wars movies :(

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It makes me cry to think how much parody has degraded in 27 years especially in the 00's. At least I have Shaun of the Dead to keep me warm at night.

Black Dynamite is damn near perfect.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
"I bet she gives great helmet."

"Smoke if you got 'em."

"Before you die, there is something you should know about us Lone Star."
"What?"
"I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate."
"What's that make us?"
"Absolutely nothing! Which is what you are about to become."

Nokterian

I miss Rick Moranis

Yeah fantastic actor with a great comedic sense. I was reading a interview not long ago and it went on why he stopped acting. His career went in to overdrive in the 80's and then he took a break for a year but he found it so good that he stopped acting all at once. He doesn't miss it ever since.

It makes me cry to think how much parody has degraded in 27 years especially in the 00's. At least I have Shaun of the Dead to keep me warm at night.

I dunno, it's like the art of smart dumb disappeared in parody or something. There's not really anything upfront in any of Spaceballs would be seen as too inane or intellectual or what have you, but now there's no wit. It is horrible.

Raptomex

Excellent movie. We ended up watching this in one of my high school classes when we had a sub and nobody laughed except me... bunch of fuckheads with horrible senses of humor.

B.K.

His career went in to overdrive in the 80's and then he took a break for a year but he found it so good that he stopped acting all at once. He doesn't miss it ever since.

Actually, he retired to raise his kids after his wife died of cancer.

1...2...3...4...5 which is the same as the combination to my luggage
FUCK ME, I don't know how many times me and my cousin have dropped this into conversation.

My dad raised me on Mel Brooks: Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Men in Tights, and this especially. 10/10, would watch over the original trilogy.

The merchandising bit always got me. It's not only true - merchandising is huge now - but it's the joke that sort of outlived the movie.

"Spaceballs 2: The Search for More Money"

Decided to watch it tonight thanks to this thread and since it is free on Amazon Prime. Movie is still great and has its moments that make you laugh.

Surprised I haven't seen any jammed radar gifs yet.

Wheeljack539

Gold Member
Ahhh Spaceballs.... So many memories.

I was 8 years old at the time and for some unfathomable reason my parents thought it'd be a good idea to bring me along with them to go watch it.

I was in stitches by the time of "If you can read this you don't need glasses".

I swear I must've entertained/annoyed everyone in the theater because I could not stop laughing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom