• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm surprised that Mel Brook's Spaceballs seems generally disliked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
This has to be one of the worst movies made.

fooledqduof.jpg

aparisi2274

I remember loving this movie as a kid. It was one of the movies that was on TV all the time as well.

But years later, reading it about it online and it seems that many outright hated this flick. On Rotten Tomatoes it's at 54 percent. I do need to rewatch it, but honestly, I remember almost all of it clearly:

Pizza the Hut
The Alien reference
The Schwartz
Joan Rivers
Rick Moranis giving a hilarious performance

It was on TV all the time and must have seen it more than a twenty times at least.

Is is just cool to hate on Spaceball, or was it really a mediocre film?

Who the hell hates Spaceballs? It's one of his better movies...

I've never met anyone who didn't like it. It's amazing.

The scene where Michael Winslow keeps saying "I'm having trouble with the radar sir" and Moranis flips out always cracks me up.

Who the hell hates Spaceballs? It's one of his better movies...

Probably a toss up between this, Blazing saddles, and young frankenstein.

I would put BS at #1, SB at #2, and YF at #3.

There's a LOOOOOOOOOOT of other crap he's made that's nowhere close to those three.

Heard so many good things about it and I was surprised at how terrible it is. Easily one of the worst movies I have ever seen, and that is not an exaggeration. I would rather watch Transformers 2 again.

I was going through a bunch of Mel Brooks' movies and they all had their clever/funny moments but space balls was just painfully unfunny.

I remember seeing it when it first came out on VHS, so I was like 9. I probably thought it was the best movie ever made (I didn't/don't care about Star Wars at all btw). Oh man that Daphne Zuniga was a babe. Must have seen it 100 times.

Like most 80's media and childhood-beloved things, there's inherent lameness now 25+ years later, so I can see how new/adult viewers might find it all a bit silly.

Eusis

I loved it as a kid, but when I watched it more recently wasn't as entertained.

Alien bit is still classic however.

Humans who don't like Spaceballs exist? Where are these creatures. Then again I met a guy 3 months ago who loves M.Night Shamaylan movies.

Razorback

Yeah, saw it recently for the first time and I was expecting a classic but in reality it's just terribly dated. I'm sure I would have enjoyed had I seen it in its time as a kid.

Sheroking

It's not my favorite Mel Brooks movie, but I've never really heard of anyone HATING it.

Now, if someone actually disliked Blazing Saddles, we're gonna have words.

inm8num2

It's not quite as sharp as BS or YF, but Spaceballs is a great movie. So many memorable gags with fun characters and spoofs.

To be honest I enjoy the movie more as youtube clips of the best scenes. And those scenes are amazing. Ludicrous speed is hilarious!

But as for the actual movie, Im honestly not a big fan of the actual meat of the movie, I don't remember Spaceballs for the story.

Movie was amazing and extremely clever for the era. A lot of the gags have been repeated and twisted since, so of course they don't seem as fresh to new generations. But this is the one that first came up with many of the jokes in the first place, especially some of the meta ones.

Either Space Balls or Blazing Saddles is probably Mel Brooks most popular film overall. Don't know why you would think it is generally disliked.

It's probably the worst of Brooks' movies, but that still puts it head and shoulders above the competition.

Nowhere near Young Frankenstein's caliber, though.

moggio

Banned
Movie was amazing and extremely clever for the era. A lot of the gags have been repeated and twisted since, so of course they don't seem as fresh to new generations. But this is the one that first came up with many of the jokes in the first place, especially some of the meta ones.

The film was never amazing or clever.

That possibly explains why some people seem to like it so much.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I liked it and still do, but it's certainly not on the level of Brooks' best like Blazing Saddles or Young Frankenstein. You're not going to run into many Spaceballs haters on GAF because of the age range and interest overlap, but a lot of fans of classic Mel Brooks consider Spaceballs to be his shark jump.

It's probably the worst of Brooks' movies, but that still puts it head and shoulders above the competition.

Nowhere near Young Frankenstein's caliber, though.

Worse than Life Stinks or Men in Tights? Dracula Dead and Loving It? C'mon, son.

The Boat

I rewatched it the other day. Honestly? Didn't like it as much as I used to. Most jokes just fell flat for me and it certainly didn't age as well as Brooks' other classics or other greats in this type of comedy.

Buzzati

Banned
Mel Brooks movies are awful. I don't understand how this guy got famous for his comedy. Try sitting through Robin Hood Men in Tights again - it's like a 6th grader doing stand up comedy for 2 hours at his school talent show. The conventional opinion is that his movies are classics, but I'm old enough to have actually sat through several films of those films when they were released - they all fucking suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom