• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous anime episodes

As it was airing, Endless Eight was one of the most hilarious things I've seen happen to the anime community. It may have killed Haruhi's popularity but damn the reactions week over week were something special.

The best part was people guessing it would be 2 episodes, then 3 episodes, then 4 episodes - no one could believe they'd actually push it to 8 whole episodes as it was happening. I was way more entertained by people reacting to it than I was frustrated by the story repetition.

In hindsight, Endless Eight is one of the most bizarrely funny things that I've ever seen in anime and I'm kinda glad it happened if only for the reactions.

It was torture back then, especially because you knew at the time that it would take at minimum two weeks to get to new stuff, and those two weeks kept getting renewed week after week after week.

Watching it nowadays, just knowing that it was 8 episodes long and having the ability to skip all of them makes you lose all of the weird "meta-purpose" of feeling the same boredom as a certain character going through the loops, you had to BE there as it was airing to feel it.

Astral

I've been meaning to watch Madoka but the art style turns me off. I should also continue reading Berserk. I stopped a little before the Golden Age arc.

Platy

I was expecting something closer to

BHArGzS.jpg

When I entered this thread =P

DVCY201

I'm surprised we've come this far without anyone mentioning Sailor Moon Crystal as a whole.

1407047619343.png

So much had to be redrawn for the Blu Ray.

Korigama

Death Note Episode 7 - "Overcast"
tumblr_nlt5mgSJMk1rkxjvao1_500.gif
This pissed me off so much (the author of the series' pitiful excuse for it only making it worse).
Episode 12 of Steins;Gate? A lot of fucked up shit happens in that episode, which I won't spoil.

Thats still famous, not Infamous to both to your examples.
No, going by the thread's definition, the Steins;Gate example most definitely counts (both shocking and marks a complete change in tone).

Orb

The entirety of Dangan Ronpa 3.

The first half is alright on its own but the later half retroactively makes the entire thing trash. It even retroactively ruins 2 previous games while jerking off the first game's characters lol

This pissed me off so much (the author of the series' pitiful excuse for it only making it worse).

this was super infuriating, but what was the author's excuse?

Kthulhu

The entirety of Dangan Ronpa 3.

The first half is alright on its own but the later half retroactively makes the entire thing trash. It even retroactively ruins 2 previous games while jerking off the first game's characters lol

Danganronpa 3 animes. All of it, prequel and sequel. It's offensively bad.

Never have I been more disappointed with an adaptation/sequel. Did Spike Chunsoft just not give a fuck?

Although the Danganronpa 3 dubs are hilarious and everyone should watch them. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but it approaches Ghost Stories levels.

Korigama

this was super infuriating, but what was the author's excuse?
According to him,
he killed off Naomi because she would've caught Kira too quickly
. Reevaluating what direction the story is taking compared to what one originally planned for it? Nah, let's just come up with something contrived like handing a character established as exceptionally intelligent the idiot ball, eliminating the only good female character in that terrible series in the process...

The first episode of Cross Ange.

Ange: I must kill/exile the Norma!
Julio: No Ange, you are the Norma!
And then Ange got the worst cavity search ever.

A decent show - Good cast and fun mech battles - brought down by stupid fanservice. And Tusk.

Orb

According to him,
he killed off Naomi because she would've caught Kira too quickly
. Reevaluating what direction the story is taking compared to what one originally planned for it? Nah, let's just come up with something contrived like handing a character established as exceptionally intelligent the idiot ball, eliminating the only good female character in that terrible series in the process...

This infuriates me more because honestly? I liked her more than L. Having finding Kira be more personal for a retired detective rather than Mega Investigator Extraordinaire was much more interesting. Then she dies immediately :/

Never have I been more disappointed with an adaptation/sequel. Did Spike Chunsoft just not give a fuck?

Although the Danganronpa 3 dubs are hilarious and everyone should watch them. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but it approaches Ghost Stories levels.

The english dub is the only tolerable way to sit through dr3, tbqh. It's Ghost Stories level of bad to the point I'm convinced it's intentional. Especially because of that Kirigiri scene

Giolon

A decent show - Good cast and fun mech battles - brought down by stupid fanservice. And Tusk.

There's still a lot of people that misinterpreted blood on her dress that was from
her mom being killed in front of her
as blood from the cavity search. It's present before that, but the scene is so shocking people just assume.

Kthulhu

This infuriates me more because honestly? I liked her more than L. Having finding Kira be more personal for a retired detective rather than Mega Investigator Extraordinaire was much more interesting. Then she dies immediately :/

The english dub is the only tolerable way to sit through dr3, tbqh. It's Ghost Stories level of bad to the point I'm convinced it's intentional. Especially because of that Kirigiri scene

That scene was apparently an accident. They used an outtake instead of the actual clip.

ohlawd

lmao half the thread is people posting what show the gif/pic is from. if you're gonna post some form of media, name the source you trashbag.

so far all I got from this thread is I gotta watch Revolutionary Girl Utena and Hunter x Hunter. been putting both of these off for years.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
"To be fair to Berserk, they've had the good sense not to do what would actually be the most infamous thing, the Forest of Lost Children."

Well, the thing with Berserk was it was a double whammy. There was the content which itself was both a dramatic tonal shift and pretty extreme.

Then there was the fact that it just ended. Right there.

Yep. I was on the edge of my seat. And that's all she wrote.

Grandius

Neo Member

Eh, Tusk was just there (the dragon princess and the redhead lesbo were better). But, holy hell, Fetus-sama. Shit was hilarious.
On topic, Valvrave episode 22. And the FU ending.
Edit: how could I forget the last episode of Kado? The community's reaction could be summarised with zaShunina's faces.

UberTag

It was intentional. They fully embraced the nonsense when they realized the level of trash in the source material.

You people are making me really anxious about finishing Danganronpa 3 (at episode 8 of Despair and liking it so far).
It goes off the deep end. I hope you're properly hopping back and forth between Despair and Future.
For what it's worth, I still applaud the ambition of that storytelling dynamic. It just fell apart in the execution.

Kenstar

But one knows this series will screw your mind from the beginning.

Now here is something no one mentioned....a sex scene out of nowhere

mezzo.jpg

That image is from Mezzo DSA, the non hentai normal anime series

The Hentai was Mezzo Forte, and I cant back this up with sources or anything but I read long ago from multiple reviews and old ass forum posts the dude stated in an interview he couldn't find anyone willing to finance his OVAs except a hentai company (Green Bunny) and so threw in a couple to get it made (same happened for his first OVA Kite as well). That's why they're so abrupt, short, and pointless and on release both Kite and Mezzo Forte had cut and uncut versions, something never done for most hentai

He originally wanted a series and did eventually get his series, did a bunch of animation directing (as recent as this year) and even got a 2nd unrelated action series Wizard Barristers made.
frogs-400x283.jpg

My contribution is Ep 4 of TTGL
7e2fb0aac44586e3caeb5451cba050c4.png

guest director/animator Osamu Kobayashi actually resigned from Gainax due to backlash from the change in artstyle for that one ep (I actually like most of his work, he's got a Unique

Artstyle

jrcbandit

The Hentai was Mezzo Forte, and I cant back this up with sources or anything but I read long ago from multiple reviews and old ass forum posts the dude couldn't find anyone willing to finance his OVAs except a hentai company (Green Bunny) and so threw in a couple to get it made (same happened for his first OVA Kite as well). That's why they're so abrupt, short, and pointless and on release both Kite and Mezzo Forte had cut and uncut versions, something never done for most hentai

He originally wanted a series and did eventually get his series, did a bunch of animation directing (as recent as this year) and even got a 2nd unrelated action series Wizard Barristers made.

Oh lol that explains so much. I watched both movies and never understood why abrupt sex scenes were thrown in.

Danganronpa 3 was so bad that it made me retroactively hate both games :(. But now I'm intrigued at the dub, maybe it will save the series for me and I'll want to play the new game coming out.

1471518730301kop3i.png

1471520014997ofq6w.jpg

bRTpuSB.png

Ash's most recent failure to capture a Pokemon League win is a good candidate for this. The fact that so many people actually bought in and thought that Ash was gonna turn it around after damn near 2 decades of being a goober is sad, but the resultant GAF salt thread was incredible.

Also, I just want to remind Hyperactivity and SalvaPot again that they STILL owe me those Best Wishes reviews from our bet.
I'm reading this thread and i'm amazed.

JUST AMAZED

Present Day.... Heh heh.. PRESENT TIME

HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA

Serial Experiments Lain, like what the opening line in the OP says "And you don't seem to understand..." I still don't understand this show.

I wouldn't call it Infamous but everything from
episode four to the final episode
is so fucking weird

I understood Lain. I think it's really an impressive show with flaws. but damn if i didn't need a couple of minutes to digest the last episode.

petran79

Banned

The Hentai was Mezzo Forte, and I cant back this up with sources or anything but I read long ago from multiple reviews and old ass forum posts the dude stated in an interview he couldn't find anyone willing to finance his OVAs except a hentai company (Green Bunny) and so threw in a couple to get it made (same happened for his first OVA Kite as well). That's why they're so abrupt, short, and pointless and on release both Kite and Mezzo Forte had cut and uncut versions, something never done for most hentai

frogs-400x283.jpg

Yeah now I am beginning to remember about those titles time forgott. Thanks.

Also Dream Hunter Rem did start as hentai. There is a version of a first episode with sex scenes. But fortunately instead of becoming a forgettable ero title, it turned into an OK fantasy-action OVA.

But one knows this series will screw your mind from the beginning.

Now here is something no one mentioned....a sex scene out of nowhere

mezzo.jpg

Mezzo Forte was quite good before that random sex and rape scene was thrown in. But seeing as it came from the guy who made the Yellow Star segment (another infamous anime episode) in Cool Devices, and Kite (Le Femme Nikita + Hentai), I wasn't surprised by it at all.

petran79

Banned
Mezzo Forte was quite good before that random sex and rape scene was thrown in. But seeing as it came from the guy who made the Yellow Star segment (another infamous anime episode) in Cool Devices, and Kite (Le Femme Nikita + Hentai), I wasn't surprised by it at all.

H-anime is not my expertise. Though now I found out that Project A-ko was supposed initialy to be part of a H-series too (Cream Lemon).

Orb

Does Rebellion count as an episode? Because that. Super polarizing. I actually LOVED it, maybe a bit more than most of the base series lol I love the extremes of
die a hero, live long enough to become a villain
they went with Homura. I'm just sad we'll maybe never get real closure :/ That ending was Gainax levels of troll cliffhanger.

Orb

You people are making me really anxious about finishing Danganronpa 3 (at episode 8 of Despair and liking it so far).

I think you'll probably like the series more than most of us here. I had a few friends who got to episode 8 without any problem and went on to defend the series aggressively.

There's a very specific moment where it will make it or break it for you.

What's this from?

Madoka Magica

I forget the exact episode, but Naruto vs Pain fight had one particular episode where they tried some experimental animation style and it absolutely flopped and looked HILARIOUSLY bad. I didn't even watch the show at the time, but me and my friends all had to queue up the episode and we nearly died laughing.

3692686-3754110147-13522.gif

naruto-animation-fail-o.gif

f98.gif

f68.gif

What's a shame is that Shikimaru+Kakashi vs Hidan+Kakuzu had that same sort of hyper fluid offmodel art and animation style expect that it actually ended up looking really good. I don't know what went wrong here.
Episode 167

This is the only full episode of Naruto I've ever watched. It was anime looney toons

Top Bottom