• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac/Ted Price talk about Sunset Ovedrive, helmed by Resistance leads

Daylight

Very excited for Sunset Overdrive. I love the style, and I'm hoping it has a good soundtrack. Is this a spring or fall 2014 release?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This was weird for me... I love Insomniac for Ratchet, but wasn't a fan of Resistance and FUSE is just not for me at all.

So then they go show this CG thing... and the concept actually really appeals to me (assuming I'm getting the right impression from the cg) but they align themselves with the XB1 which I will not let through the fucking front door. Not for free.

They finally makes something since Ratchet that seems neat and it's XB1 exclusive. Oh well. Good luck with that, I guess.

Sunset Overdrive is such an awesome name. Can't wait to see more. Loved Spyro and the bits of Ratchet and Resistance 3 I've played were quite good as well.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Insomniac's President: "Insomniac has been, is, and will continue to be 100% independent."

Insomniac's Community Lead:
image.php

Insomniac's corporate messaging is just as disorganized as Microsoft's, huh? LOL

I'm not allowed to retain a sense of humor?

besides, the only future game we currently have announced is indeed only on xbox.

You know what independent means, right?

Does "Only on XBox?" sound like it reflects the spirit of an independent?

I've been an Insomniac fan for many years, and enjoyed playing RFOM on clan nights with the Insomniacs, (and teasing James about his Huskers being owned by my Red Raiders) and I don't ever recall back in the days when they were making games for Sony consoles him ever featuring PS branding on his avatar. Just saying, it sends a mixed message.

I'm not allowed to retain a sense of humor?

besides, the only future game we currently have announced is indeed only on xbox.

See above.

I've been an Insomniac fan for many years, and enjoyed playing RFOM on clan nights with the Insomniacs, (and teasing James about his Huskers being owned by my Red Raiders) and I don't ever recall back in the days when they were making games for Sony consoles him ever featuring PS branding on his avatar. Just saying, it sends a mixed message.

To be fair, it's jstevenson's avatar, not Insomniac's. And their announced game IS "Only on xbox"

Microsoft and Insomniac are 100% committed to the style shown in the teaser. You can see Ted's comments on the Xbox Wire blog as well.

You might not be allowed to answer much/anything on the game, but im going to ask anyway!

Can we expect to see some in-game stuff soon? (By seen, perhaps GamesCom or TGS? Unless Microsoft want to show it off at any other time)

Does "always changing" mean its going be a multiplayer only game? Or will there be a single player in this open world and connect to online etc to do the always changing stuff?

TriGen

I guess the best example in current media would be when South Park references things almost immediately after they happen, which is kind of crazy on a scripted TV show. We plan to be similar with pop-culturally relevant items while they are still fresh.

That sounds really cool. The greatness of South Park usually comes from the fact that they do the show in 6 days. I really like the idea of someone trying that with a game.

So excited for this game. The concept trailer was very exciting and looks to be getting back to what Insomniac has established so well in R&C and Resistance. The art is ace as well.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
"Many of you may be asking what this news means for Insomniac. What about Ratchet & Clank? What about Fuse?"

Sorry but this bit had me laughing out loud. I really can't believe Fuse is still a thing (if you want to qualify its existence as being a thing) with Sunset Overdrive being made. Hopefully you guys don't hire any focus testers this time around.

Eusis

Who knows, maybe this one will actually come out unscathed unlike Overstrike/FUSE! Then they'll never ever make a sequel despite ending on a giant cliffhanger.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

someone in the xbox thread made the avatar for me based on the rumors. I sported it for good fun.

I'm legit excited about the Xbox One and how it will allow us to rapidly update the game and interface with players. on a personal level, I'm super stoked on how the Xbox One interfaces with TV/video and sports apps/blu-ray/skype w/ fast-app switching etc. i'm also excited about the lineup of exclusives.

(oh, and I have a PS4 pre-ordered too... I'm still as hardcore as they come... Nov will be an expensive month).

thumb

Banned
You might not be allowed to answer much/anything on the game, but im going to ask anyway!

Can we expect to see some in-game stuff soon? (By seen, perhaps GamesCom or TGS? Unless Microsoft want to show it off at any other time)

Does "always changing" mean its going be a multiplayer only game? Or will there be a single player in this open world and connect to online etc to do the always changing stuff?

EXCLUSIVE: Sunset Overdrive to include some form of single player. ;)

What made you guys decide to go with Microsoft instead of sticking with Sony? Just wondering.

I'm guessing it's because they are allowed to retain the rights to the IP with Microsoft as a publisher. As opposed to Sony, who requires ownership of the IP for their 1st party exclusives

But no matter how many times they keep saying it, it appears their relationship with Sony is finished. I just don't see them making another Ratchet game after "Sunset Overdrive" was announced...I want to be proven wrong

Carl

This was weird for me... I love Insomniac for Ratchet, but wasn't a fan of Resistance and FUSE is just not for me at all.

So then they go show this CG thing... and the concept actually really appeals to me (assuming I'm getting the right impression from the cg) but they align themselves with the XB1 which I will not let through the fucking front door. Not for free.

They finally makes something since Ratchet that seems neat and it's XB1 exclusive. Oh well. Good luck with that, I guess.

Announces first decent looking game in 4 years.

Only on Xbox.

:p

Ploid 3.0

Guess they have to build a fanbase on the xbox.

ut as the Microsoft team began introducing us to the abilities and philosophies driving the development of Xbox One, we knew that Sunset Overdrive was a perfect fit. The Xbox One and Xbox Live will support our ambitions to create an ongoing two-way dialogue with our community. It will also allow us to have quicker production cycles, enabling timely content updates for new weapons, characters, storylines and even pop culture-relevant content like memes based on social commentary.

Many of you may be asking what this news means for Insomniac. What about Ratchet & Clank? What about Fuse? Others may ask why we have “abandoned” our PlayStation heritage. The truth is, not a lot has changed. Insomniac has been, is, and will continue to be 100% independent. We have treasured that independence for the last 19 years. It now allows us to own and control our IP, and find the most suitable partners to make those IP a reality. While we are excited about partnering with Microsoft on Sunset Overdrive, that doesn’t mean we can’t or wouldn’t make games with our longtime friends at Sony. That’s the magic of being an independent developer.

Cloud, and MS is willing to pay for locking the IP to their console like Gears (if it's successful). Sony is probably still paranoid about helping to market competition like Spyro and Crash.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

Not sure exactly on game-stuff, when it's ready is the safest answer. :)

The game has a single-player campaign/story as well as multiplayer component. And we'll connect you frequently to help us get feedback from players while also updating and adding content.

To be fair, it's jstevenson's avatar, not Insomniac's. And their announced game IS "Only on xbox"

Hey, I don't give a shit. Like I said, I like Insomniac and have enjoyed playing with James personally. I think he's a good guy. I just think it's a bad PR move. While their next game might be only on XBox, the one after that might not be. You don't want to alienate people when you are independent. And while hardcore fanboys are silly, they are still paying customers you'd like to sell your product to. While I don't care about the avatar, I can see that it doesn't reflect the line his President (who is saying all the right things in that release) wants to the company to walk. And while it is his own avatar, let's not fool ourselves by suggesting James doesn't represent his company here in some not insignificant way.

someone in the xbox thread made the avatar for me based on the rumors. I sported it for good fun.

I'm legit excited about the Xbox One and how it will allow us to rapidly update the game and interface with players. on a personal level, I'm super stoked on how the Xbox One interfaces with TV/video and sports apps/blu-ray/skype w/ fast-app switching etc. i'm also excited about the lineup of exclusives.

(oh, and I have a PS4 pre-ordered too... I'm still as hardcore as they come... Nov will be an expensive month).

Thanks for confirming the PS4 release month :)

jond76

Banned

This quote makes me think that the current way of patching may become obsolete with the One. If devs can retain an open window into their game through the cloud, then are they bypassing patch prices, etc?

What say you, jstevenson?

Zephyrus

Banned
you apparently didn't play Resistance 3

I enjoyed it's single player. Didn't like the MP.

The series peaked in Fall of Man. I loved that game. Played it for dozens of hours in the mp and replayed the singleplayer/co-op a few times.

Resistance 2 was by far the weakest.

I honestly am sad that Insomniac has potential but seems like that lazy kid in school who is smart but just doesn't care and his grades suffer because of it.

I think your problem is that you play it too safe. WAY TOO SAFE. You find something that works and stick with it for years.

Ratchet games are basically the same. You play one, you've played them all. And when you tried something new with it, you put a second rate team doing them and their quality suffered.

Resistance 1 was phenomenal. Great gameplay, phenomenal MP, interesting story... and you dropped everything in search of the CoD crowd, thus alienating your previous fans. Resistance 2 was a mess. A very big mess.
Resistance 3 single player was very good, but multiplayer felt... wierd. I thought it wasn't polished at all.

Haven't tried Fuse so I won't give my opinion of it other than it's an insomniac game. "Hey guys we're insomniac. Look at our cool weapons".

Ever since ratchet that I feel this is the theme of every Insomniac game. Cool, quirky weapons.

It's a shame. Both in the ps1 and ps2 era I thought you guys were Naughty Dog's rivals and both were equally as good. That might've been in the past but it certainly is not now.

I would love to see Insomniac take a leap of faith and go all in for a realistic darker game. Something like the Last of Us, but without zombie like enemies or monsters.

Doubt this will ever happen

thumb

Banned
Hey, I don't give a shit. Like I said, I like Insomniac and have enjoyed playing with James personally. I think he's a good guy. I just think it's a bad PR move. While their next game might be only on XBox, the one after that might not be. You don't want to alienate people when you are independent. While I don't care about the avatar, I can see that it doesn't reflect the line his President (who is saying all the right things in that release) wants to the company to walk. And while it is his own avatar, let's not fool ourselves by suggesting James doesn't represent his company here in some not insignificant way.

It's just a goofy avatar. Choose your battles.

derFeef

Hey, I don't give a shit. Like I said, I like Insomniac and have enjoyed playing with James personally. I think he's a good guy. I just think it's a bad PR move. While their next game might be only on XBox, the one after that might not be. You don't want to alienate people when you are independent. And while hardcore fanboys are silly, they are still paying customers you'd like to sell your product to. While I don't care about the avatar, I can see that it doesn't reflect the line his President (who is saying all the right things in that release) wants to the company to walk. And while it is his own avatar, let's not fool ourselves by suggesting James doesn't represent his company here in some not insignificant way.

I think you are too hung up on nothing, really.

What made you guys decide to go with Microsoft instead of sticking with Sony? Just wondering.

Be interested to hear about this as well, James. No silly "Betrayalton" talk here - but this past gen has been peppered with a lot of talk from Ted, Brian, and yourself about how Sony's machine and their strategy are a good fit with your own etc. what brought about the change? What about MS' strategy resonates with you and what do you think about the negativity the box is receiving, here and elsewhere?

I-hate-u

So potentially you can port to other systems right? I am a fan of you guys and I refuse to purchase the X1.

I am curious why you went with MS. Some of the stuff Ted is saying is what Naughy Dog has been doing with Uncharted 2 (Online fixes/world changes on the fly without a patch), so I doubt its because PS4 is not technically up to snuff with what you want.

Arc

The replies to this post on Insomniac's website are pure gold.

Called out for betrayalton by the 14 year old army of Insomniac fans.

If I had to guess why Sunset Overdrive is Xbox exclusive, with absolutely no info at all, I would guess that it is a very easy way for them to resonate with the Xbox market. Most Xbox players aren't greatly familiar with Insomniac if they never played those games. The easiest way to get people in a new market to check you out is to say "Hey guys, we're finally on your platform and we've got an EXCLUSIVE GAME!" The exclusivity doesn't have to be permanent or exist beyond that title, but it's important to really sell that message at launch when exclusivity matters the most. It gives the message "We're for Xbox."

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Thanks for confirming the PS4 release month :)

Watch the PS4 launch before XB1... more powerful, no bullshit anti-consumer DRM, one hundred dollars less. Would be an interesting development.

Be interested to hear about this as well, James. No silly "Betrayalton" talk here - but this past gen has been peppered with a lot of talk from Ted, Brian, and yourself about how Sony's machine and their strategy are a good fit with your own etc. what brought about the change? What about MS' strategy resonates with you and what do you think about the negativity the box is receiving, here and elsewhere?

Come on guys... he cannot answer that question:

Sailor "only on xbox" Stevenson said:

...is the best you're gonna get on that front.

Hindle

Banned
I can't wait to see this in action. It's going to look gorgeous with that art style.

Also JStevenson, make the traversal/platforming awesome. That's my personal request.

I liked Resistance, but I don't understand the praise for the trailer. It looked like an awful teen-focused marketing firm's ad campaign pitch.

Yeah, I thought so too. I might have been interested it, up until I realised it's a shooting game with mutants/zombies as the enemy. Interesting art style or no, I can't get enthusiastic over such an overdone premise.

Ploid 3.0

The replies to this post on Insomniac's website are pure gold.

Called out for their betraylton by the 14 year old army of Insomniac fans.

I've been meaning to go check their forums to see what things were like but I forgot. I can only imagine how things must be. Those guys seem passionate, I remember the R2 days of being on there with R2 beta. I'm not hardcore enough of a gamer to hang. I should look up some FUSE videos, I wonder if there are some try hard teams or something.

Top Bottom