• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac/Ted Price talk about Sunset Ovedrive, helmed by Resistance leads

If I had to guess why Sunset Overdrive is Xbox exclusive, with absolutely no info at all, I would guess that it is a very easy way for them to resonate with the Xbox market. Most Xbox players aren't greatly familiar with Insomniac if they never played those games. The easiest way to get people in a new market to check you out is to say "Hey guys, we're finally on your platform and we've got an EXCLUSIVE GAME!" The exclusivity doesn't have to be permanent or exist beyond that title, but it's important to really sell that message at launch when exclusivity matters the most. It gives the message "We're for Xbox."

If I didn't think better of the fellas at insomniac, I would say the most "obvious" reason is much simpler and more disappointing.

So what happens if Insomniac announces a PS4 exclusive? Will they suddenly be awesome again?

I get hating the platform (Im not too fond of the Xbone either, nor will I be purchasing it), but Insomniac is a great developer and Fuse was just a bump in the road. I hope this game does really well for them.

I am pretty disappointed that I am going to have to skip this one.

As am I.

If I had to guess why Sunset Overdrive is Xbox exclusive, with absolutely no info at all, I would guess that it is a very easy way for them to resonate with the Xbox market. Most Xbox players aren't greatly familiar with Insomniac if they never played those games. The easiest way to get people in a new market to check you out is to say "Hey guys, we're finally on your platform and we've got an EXCLUSIVE GAME!" The exclusivity doesn't have to be permanent or exist beyond that title, but it's important to really sell that message at launch when exclusivity matters the most. It gives the message "We're for Xbox."

I really think this mentality makes sense. I don't think Insomniac is abandoning Playstation. It would make absolutely no sense to do that. No company wants to spend 15+ years of building a dedicated fanbase to their games to only competely abandon them. I will give Insomniac more credit than that. I think they feel the need to simply give the Xbox One and the Xbox fanbase some extra love to really jumpstart people getting into them on that platform. I think simply releasing multiplatform with no sense of exclusiveness towards a launching console gets them ignored fast. They know they can return to the PS4 later and can simply say "Hey guys we're back and here's our PS4 game." with no problems. They have to make more of an effort in penetrating the Xbox market.

Ploid 3.0

I liked Resistance, but I don't understand the praise for the trailer. It looked like an awful teen-focused marketing firm's ad campaign pitch.

It's very colorful, not serious/dramatic, and has crazy weapons (Like Overstrike ; ;). Some of the features Ratchet and Clank have. This time there's grinding on rails, and big jumps. I don't know if these Lomba, er crazy cats will have magnetic boots, and other gadgets but I'm betting they will. Maybe even loot that's visible and it's open world like Destiny? Content updates possibly making it a MMO ARPG? Level your weapons like Ratchet, level your skills and abilities (FUSE/R2 Co op), and team up to go on missions and stuff?

Sporty

Neo Member
I thought it looked interesting but have no plans of picking up an XBONE. Hopefully it comes to PS4.

I'm the same way.

Owned and played every single Insomniac release since Disruptor except Outernauts and fuse so far, probably pick up fuse someday dirt cheap.

Sunset Overdrive actually looks like it has potential to be a fun game. However, I will never allow an always online console with a camera that doesn't respect consumers ownership into my house.

Guess there is always the a PC release to hope for, if not screw it, I have learned over the years that I don't have enough time to play every game I want anyways...

Loudninja

So what happens if Insomniac announces a PS4 exclusive? Will they suddenly be awesome again?

I get hating the platform (Im not too fond of the Xbone either, nor will I be purchasing it), but Insomniac is a great developer and Fuse was just a bump in the road. I hope this game does really well for them.

As am I.
Yep hope the game turns out great.

I really hope this game is good but given Microsofts resent anti consumer positioning seeing Insomniac tie themselves to that train is really disappointing and makes me respect them a heck of a lot less.
I mean I understand they needed to branch out. They have minded the PlayStation audience dry over the years and needed to go elsewhere, their last few games ether underperformed spectacularly or they where just shit so yeah.. they needed to make a drastic move but teaming up with the anti used games / always online / fuck indies / fuck everywhere that inst america crowd is just dirty. After the last few games I guess they had limited options.

Also for some reason I think I should probably go back and plat CiT.

If I didn't think better of the fellas at insomniac, I would say the most "obvious" reason is much simpler and more disappointing.

I am going to give Insomniac more credit than assume they want to just abandon 15+ years of dedicated fans. I know they over-focus test sometimes and come up with duds like Resistance 2 and Fuse, but I think they are a smartly ran company for the most part. And not completely dismissing your entire fanbase is just too obvious.

LNBL

hmm? I was just going based off my pre-order e-mail generic month. I honestly have no idea the date either platform is launching. Wish i did!

Liking the style that i think the game is going for sir, can't wait for more details and screens. Good luck!

someone in the xbox thread made the avatar for me based on the rumors. I sported it for good fun.

I'm legit excited about the Xbox One and how it will allow us to rapidly update the game and interface with players. on a personal level, I'm super stoked on how the Xbox One interfaces with TV/video and sports apps/blu-ray/skype w/ fast-app switching etc. i'm also excited about the lineup of exclusives.

(oh, and I have a PS4 pre-ordered too... I'm still as hardcore as they come... Nov will be an expensive month).

So Microsoft has brushed up their patching policies with X1?
I can imaging you cant disclose that.

Man i really hope they have WinRT or native XNA2.0 support with easier and not 10k patching they should open it op to indies like they have it on mobile and desktop with wp and win8 marketplace.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
This game from the visuals gives me a Jet Set Radio crossed with Crackdown feel.

That's a perfect way to describe it. I totally got a JSR vibe as well.

Sounds like the game is another of these games that's always online and blends the single-player experience together with multiplayer. Interesting.

Yup. This is what I thought too. It seems like they went with the Xbox One because of the always-online deal, so they can make bigger, better worlds. :D

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Wow zomg. The sarcasm/sense of entitlement is reaching critical mass here. Lets try not to sound too much like angry fanboys at this juncture. I'm certain if the game turns out well Sony and their fans will be more than happy to have a superior version. Really. The slighted crazy ex-girlfriend vibe really doesn't befit anyone here.

I would rather they sign an exclusivity deal and make the game they wanted to make, rather than be forced to close. The market is turbulent and full of risk, so seeing someone do something a bit different / unconventional is becoming a rarer and rarer thing.
Dude youve noticed that Ted's eyes are no longer sky blue since he signed with Micro$oft ?
He sold his soul.

I am going to give Insomniac more credit than assume they want to just abandon 15+ years of dedicated fans. I know they over-focus test sometimes and come up with duds like Resistance 2 and Fuse, but I think they are a smartly ran company for the most part. And not completely dismissing your entire fanbase is just too obvious.

I'm not suggesting anything about their interaction with their fan base, I don't in any way expect them to be XBO exclusive for future titles, so I think people need to lay off that. But we had some pretty compelling speculation (not sure if it was ever confirmed) leading up to E3 that MS was paying top dollar for high level exclusives, money that Sony as a company has no chance at competing with. Indeed, financial remuneration is probably the only reason to go exclusive for a multiplat company, given it eliminates at least half your potential audience.

That doesn't mean this was the wrong decision for insomniac - if its the case, it will allow funding for further games and further expansion of their IPs, and ultimately better news ahead for fans - but it's still a little sad IF that is indeed the case. In the absence of another plausible explanation of exclusivity, it'd probably be the one I'd default to. Unfortunately it will and can never be commented only anyone at insomniac, so it'll probably be left to the speculation realm.

Insomniac's last 3 console titles were were Fuse, Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault and Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One. In my eyes, it would take a good game to make them awesome again. Sunset Overdrive might be that game, but I'll never find out and not because of Insomniac but because the platform they picked.

I said it before, I don't think losing Insomniac is that big a loss to Sony or the PS4 but only because there's been a serious quality control issue at the studio for some time now. I'm not going to hate them for it, but I'm also not going to pretend that there isn't a lot of work that studio needs to do to excite me.

Sean

Banned

Sunset Overdrive is Xbox exclusive because only a first party would ever consider funding a super-stylized game like this. And Sony apparently wants to own the IP for games they fund, so they went with Microsoft.

It's as simple as that.

Not sure exactly on game-stuff, when it's ready is the safest answer. :)

The game has a single-player campaign/story as well as multiplayer component. And we'll connect you frequently to help us get feedback from players while also updating and adding content.

Thanks for answering, very much looking forward to hearing more!

I'm not suggesting anything about their interaction with their fan base, I don't in any way expect them to be XBO exclusive for future titles, so I think people need to lay off that. But we had some pretty compelling speculation (not sure if it was ever confirmed) leading up to E3 that MS was paying top dollar for high level exclusives, money that Sony as a company has no chance at competing with. That doesn't mean this was the wrong decision for insomniac - if its the case, it will allow funding for further games and further expansion of their IPs, and ultimately better news ahead for fans - but it's still a little sad IF that is indeed the case. In the absence of another plausible explanation of exclusivity, it'd probably be the one I'd default to. Unfortunately it will and can never be commented only anyone at insomniac, so it'll probably be left to the speculation realm.

I'll never get that business practice from MS. Why not just give high paying jobs to quality game makers and make your own studios and actually make your own games?

hawk2025

So based on what he's saying would it be wrong to guess that MS has changed how they handle updates on the X1?

It's a Microsoft-published game, so the comparison is moot. They may have changed it for a developer that has an exclusivity, publishing contract with them, but not everyone else.

What I'm wondering is what exactly is different about the "update" structure of the Xbox One that made this their main point of decision. Will it be harder to push out updates on the PS4? Why are there so many Free to Play games coming to the PS4 then, seeing as they are usually some of the most constantly updated games out there?

The whole thing sounds a bit... vague. I understand that Insomniac likely wanted the security that comes with an exclusive contract after the... problems with Fuse, but that appears to be the first-order concern instead IMO. I'd love an explanation on how I'm wrong, especially if the X1's update method is really that much more special :)

I'll never get that business practice from MS. Why not just give high paying jobs to quality game makers and make your own studios and actually make your own games?

Well they're two different models. MS has engaged in this aggressive kind of business practice for a long time in the operating system realm as well, it's worked well for them and I don't think there are compelling reasons to stop. Why try to beat Sony at its own game (ie. building your own dev houses) when you can just re write the rules? I think they just see themselves as an aggressive publisher rather than a developer.

I'm just interested in hearing from insomniac on what changed for them. There's lots of interviews from the past six years of insomniac singing sonys praises for its strategy, and expressing content at their alignment as a second party studio, so aside from the reasons mentioned in my above posts, I guess it's not immediately obvious to me why changing from a multiplat strategy was the right move for them.

Any thoughts, James?

The replies to this post on Insomniac's website are pure gold.

Called out for betrayalton by the 14 year old army of Insomniac fans.

I suspect that the vast majority of Insomniac fans are older than 14

Anyway, this game is beginning to grow on me, interested in seeing more

Ploid 3.0

Wait wait didn't one of the indie developers mention they liked PS4 because they didn't have to pay to patch their game? Did they not shop the Xbox one, or is this a special deal with Insomniac to patch real time and possibly free since they may do it frequently? I'm thinking he didn't shop. I think the indie dev that I'm thinking about was on Giant bomb's e3 pod cast. I don't know, I remember hearing about it though. Maybe PS4's isn't instant patch. I wonder how Planet Side 2, and DC universe will patch, maybe wait until it's certified hmm.

Well they're two different models. MS has engaged in this aggressive kind of business practice for a long time in the operating system realm as well, it's worked well for them and I don't think there are compelling reasons to stop. Why try to beat Sony at its own game (ie. building your own dev houses) when you can just re write the rules? I think they just see themselves as an aggressive publisher rather than a developer.

It's a lot cheaper for Sony to simply put their invested talent on games they want made. Sony is paying for the cost of the game to be made. MS is paying for the projected profits made if it were on another platform.

R3TRODYCE

Wow zomg. The sarcasm/sense of entitlement is reaching critical mass here. Lets try not to sound too much like angry fanboys at this juncture. I'm certain if the game turns out well Sony and their fans will be more than happy to have a superior version. Really. The slighted crazy ex-girlfriend vibe really doesn't befit anyone here.

I would rather they sign an exclusivity deal and make the game they wanted to make, rather than be forced to close. The market is turbulent and full of risk, so seeing someone do something a bit different / unconventional is becoming a rarer and rarer thing.

Well said.

jond76

Banned
So Microsoft has brushed up their patching policies with X1?
I can imaging you cant disclose that.

Man i really hope they have WinRT or native XNA2.0 support with easier and not 10k patching they should open it op to indies like they have it on mobile and desktop with wp and win8 marketplace.

I asked the same thing on the last page with no answer, so I can only assume he can't speak to it yet.

Interesting tho...

Cant wait to this gets to focus groups. They will tell you to get rid of these kiddie colors and cartoony art style. no no no sir we need more browns & grays with just a tinge of red. And Ted will roll over just like he did with Overstrik err... FUSE.

hawk2025

I asked the same thing on the last page with no answer, so I can only assume he can't speak to it yet.

Interesting tho...

Again, it means absolutely nothing. As a Microsoft-published game, their deal on patching can be completely different from what everyone else gets.

Xenon

One of the biggest problems I had with the Resistance series was it took place in a war torn shit hole world that I could give a fuck about. Overdrive seems to have addressed that. So I am interested. I wonder if Microsoft studios is going to involved beyond a paycheck.

MS needs games so they bought some. There really is no mystery why certain games are X1 exclusive for now. Dat DRM and paychecks. I wonder how much they spent. Insomniac, Capcom AND EA exclusive games? Shit ain't cheap.

Ploid 3.0

Interesting tho...

I have a feeling it has something to do with the cloud somehow. Maybe it's not really a patch as we know it, but changing files in the cloud makes the game different for the users. Like if you go to another area in a mmo and the screen indicate that it's downloading as a loading screen.

They should have gone the Double Fine route. Lots of smaller games, Steam, even browser stuff. Caught my boyfriend playing Outernauts the other day, and it kind of looks good.

Insomniac has been adding to the AAA problem for years now, shocking really, after they were SUPER strong at the start of the generation. This studio got a LAUNCH PS3 game out. That's as difficult as it gets. And I loved R:FoM.

Anyway, if this is for someone I don't know who it is. After FUSE Insomniac can stop kidding themselves about having fans. Who was Resistance 2 for? Who was FUSE for? Who is this for? I don't know, they are so out of touch.

hawk2025

The reaction on Insomniac's own blog page is more harsh than here on GAF. Yikes.

People are being a bit ridiculous, but well, can you blame them?

Both Sony and Insomniac were built on each other's successes for THREE generations, across multiple successful franchises and constructing a decade-long fanbase for their pretty unique style of games.

It's absolutely great that they are independent and free to pursue whichever project they wish, but it should come as no surprise that some people won't take very well to having to buy another system to keep following a developer they've been fans of for over a decade.

Satchel

Banned
Ted mentioned in an interview with IGN that he loved the xbox's/microsofts setup in being to constantly feed them data on the players, and they're building SO to adjust to that information flow.

Sounds interesting.

Really looking forward to this one.

Top Bottom