• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

International Dairy Foods Association 2017 survey results on US top ice cream flavors

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
No Pralines n' Cream?

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and Cookie Dough seem like a cheat, and I love Cookie Dough ice cream

I also love vanilla ice cream.

Dart

That's a really boring list. And no mango, green tea or coconut confirms that Americans have shit taste when it comes to ice cream.

True that. I love Ice cream in general but it seems the vast majority love generic boring flavors.

Some of my favorite flavors in ice cream; Guava, Piña colada, Coconut, Green tea, mango, strawberry cheesecake, rice pudding, rum raisin.

Ice cream is just the best, you got to try other flavors people!

Poppy

i dont understand how society has failed so many so greatly as to make mint seem like a flavor destined seemingly only for toothpaste and gum

Good list. Cookies & Cream is the GOAT flavor though.

As for Vanilla vs Chocolate, for me it depends on the type of ice cream.

Soft Serve: Vanilla > Chocolate
Hard: Vanilla < Chocolate

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
No Pralines n' Cream?

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and Cookie Dough seem like a cheat, and I love Cookie Dough ice cream

I also love vanilla ice cream.

The lack of Pralines n' Cream is criminal. If I'm buying ice cream at the store, I would absolutely buy a thing of Pralines n' Cream before anything else on that list. Not a huge fan of it in cone form though. Mint Chocolate Chip all the way when it comes to cones.

Strawberry
Maple Walnut
Black raspberry cheesecake
Coconut Macaroon (coconut ice cream, toasted coconut, dark chocolate swirl)
Privateer's Bounty (black licorice, salted caramel, and vanilla)

Um these are Americans we're talking about here, get out of here with those fancy-ass Italian gelato shop flavors.

And by "get out of here" I mean "leave them with me as you go."

JeTmAn81

Picked up some Tillamook Marionberry Pie last night, it's delicious. It's mostly vanilla with flavoring and pie crust bits. Vanilla is the most boring flavor but it works so well as a base.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
True that. I love Ice cream in general but it seems the vast majority love generic boring flavors.

Some of my favorite flavors in ice cream; Guava, Piña colada, Coconut, Green tea, mango, strawberry cheesecake, rice pudding, rum raisin.

Ice cream is just the best, you got to try other flavors people!

I forgot about Pina Colada, another great flavour.

When I go to the ice cream isle at the grocery store, I specifically try to avoid every single flavour on the list in the OP.

Linkura

I know people are afraid of it now but Blue Bell makes a really great coconut fudge ice cream that uses actual coconut and not just flavoring. And yes it is still hard to find, either it sells out quick or the ice cream guy only stocks 2 of them.

I'd prefer just regular coconut. Don't need fudge in there. My grocery store doesn't stock Blue Bell anyway. :/

1. Pistachio
2. Salted Caramel
3. Chocolate Hazelnut
4. Black Cherry
5. Banana

That list in the OP is dull as fuck. America needs to visit flavour town.

Snowflake-Edgware-Rd-Launch-MattChungPhoto-lo-res-2-1.jpg

Hyoukokun

Real vanilla is far from a boring flavor; a nice custard base ice cream made with vanilla beans is awesome.

Of that list, I probably like butter pecan the best, but my actual favorite is B3 from Toscanini's. I've tried to replicate it myself with limited success.

Cyros

Vanilla being at the top is why we can't have things like the Chic-Fil-A spicy chicken biscuit or Wendy's spicy chicken nuggets.

soco

1. Pistachio
2. Salted Caramel
3. Chocolate Hazelnut
4. Black Cherry
5. Banana

That list in the OP is dull as fuck.

Those are pretty boring too.

One of my favorite places has a blueberry earl grey, ginger chai peach, creme fraiche marionberry crisp, an amazing golden milk, goat cheese & lemon curd, lemon ginger cayenne. Another nearby place has a tahini & chocolate with chunks of tahini.

There's even slightly changed mixes on old favorites like a sea salt cookie dough that's pretty amazing.

However, a really good vanilla can be better than all of those. You need like a really good bourbon vanilla, and a splash of alcohol might not hurt either.

In this thread: People bitch that their specialty flavors from their favorite corner shop isn't top 3 because they don't realise that most people have normal tastes.

Vanilla is godlike, suck it up ya babies.

Falchion

Some people are so boring. There's never been a time in my life when I've been offered a range of ice cream flavors and then chose chocolate or vanilla. Those aren't real flavors, those are the base of an actual, good ice cream flavor.

Top Bottom