• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Hush the main villain in Rocksteady’s next Batman game?

I should probably go back and read few of the books about Hush. For him being apparently super important to the Batman universe, I know little to nothing about him except for what was in his file in the games. Any suggestions?
Eh he's not important but if you want to read just read batman: hush and batman: heart of hush. After that you're good.

Some Nobody

What about the Suicide Squad?
I mean at the end of Arkham Origins,Amanda Waller appeared to Slade at his Prison Cell, so we might be seeing them

WB has hinted at them having their own game entirely. They should just do that.

Meh ... the next one of these I'll buy will be Batman Beyond. If they don't do that, then not really interested. However, I know this arc has fans, so I'm sure the game will be fantastic for them. Hope it does well so that they can actually get to making a Batman Beyond game.

Meh. All this "Where's Terry" stuff reminds me of when TDK finished in theatres and everyone thought the next movie would be Dark Knight Returns. Why? You haven't seen any real stories with Bruce? There's a lot of stuff hinted at in City but basically it's still just Bruce wandering around doing what he wants. Let me get a Batman that has other characters playable besides him (Nightwing, Robin, Batgirl, Batwoman) and then yes we can move on to Terry.

I still want a Rocksteady TMNT game.

Me too, but only if they got either the original writers to do it or they used the 2003 cartoon as a basis. The whole "City at War" storyline could easily adapt into a video game.

I should probably go back and read few of the books about Hush. For him being apparently super important to the Batman universe, I know little to nothing about him except for what was in his file in the games. Any suggestions?

Hush isn't all that important. He's made one or two appearances and few of them have been very good. Batman: Hush is worth reading mostly for Jim Lee's amazing artwork. The coolest thing he ever did was
impersonating Bruce Wayne while Batman was believed dead,
but I have no idea where that story was or how it ended.

Bikkun

Neo Member
Hush impersonated Bruce following his death in Final Crisis. I'll need to check to refresh my memory, but I know he did it in Gotham City Sirens (a fun title starring Catwoman, Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn as anti-villains) and I'm pretty sure it was utilized in Red Robin. There's a scene I recall of Damian playing chess with him in jail because it's the closest he can get to spending time with his father but I can't recall the issue.

Putting the bugs to one side, Origins was probably the best Arkham game of the bunch. It certainly had the best gameplay, combat and story, not to mention Gotham covered in snow was fantastic.

Easily the best game of the trilogy and I really hope the rumour about WB Montreal working on a Suicide Squad is true...

Combat. I don't really agree. The majority of the gadgets were just renamed and had the same effect as they did in City. Then there was the concussion grenade that actually didn't help in combat at all, it actually made it worse trying to avoid enemies randomly swinging punches. They tweaked the frequency of having to counter that didn't need tweaking and nerfed moves like the vault smash. And shock gloves were completely OP.

I'm hoping Rocksteady brings completely new move sets like they did for Arkham City.

Skilletor

I love Batman.

I love the Arkham Series.

If it's Hush, I hope they adapt Jim Lee's art.

I hope Rocksteady never stops making Batman games so long as they keep making quality games.

Blues1990

For me there's one exception that proves the rule with Loeb : A Superman for All Seasons. Leagues better than any of the Batman stuff he wrote.

supermanfas_reveal_w.jpg

My man. :)

Off-Topic: I was first introduced to his work by reading A Superman For All Seasons, and I personally consider it to be my definite version of the Man of Steel to this day. With that said, I can't even begin to describe how disappointed I was when I had started reading the other books he had penned, with Spider-man: Blue being the biggest offender.

On-Topic: I would've been more interested if Rocksteady had gone and tackle another Detective Comics series (either Superman or The New Gods), but I'm willing to see more of what this project has in-store. (Seriously, I can't be the only one who wants the Man of Steel to be done justice in video game form.)

If the new game has anything joker related fuck the whole series

When I found out it was the Joker in Origins I stopped playing. ruined the entire game for me

Some Nobody

supermanfas_reveal_w.jpg

Off-Topic: I was first introduced to his work by reading A Superman For All Seasons, and I personally consider it to be my definite version of the Man of Steel to this day. With that said, I can't even begin to describe how disappointed I was when I had started reading the other books he had penned, with Spider-man: Blue being the biggest offender.

On-Topic: I would've been more interested if Rocksteady had gone and tackle another Detective Comics series (either Superman or The New Gods), but I'm willing to see more of what this project has in-store. (Seriously, I can't be the only one who wants the Man of Steel to be done justice in video game form.)

Get out.

Why do we still hope. ;-;

And I want Catwoman to return, but I hope playing as her isn't as god-damn cringe-worthy and embarrassing as it was in Arkham City.
Lol its hilarious anytime anything new Batman related is announced Cass is one of the first things I look for.
She has almost never been greatly represented outside of comics(or even in them anymore) so I don't even know why I do it anymore.
maybe its just the hope that eventually someone that loves Cass can slip through DC's grasp.

What did you not like about Catwoman? Oversexed,etc?

Blues1990

Sorry, but the book did nothing for me. I guess the main reason was probably because nothing interesting happens through the story, and Loeb's attempts to coax emotion had fallen flat for me. It also didn't help that Peter's relationship with Gwen was (sadly) lightly touched upon, which was a missed opportunity to explore with further depth.

I'm sorry if you've felt offended. But different strokes, I guess....

atr0cious

If they do the Hush storyline, maybe Rocksteady will have a cool boss battle against
Superman
. It's the only way to top the Mr. Freeze fight.

Eh he's not important but if you want to read just read batman: hush and batman: heart of hush. After that you're good.

Pretty much. Hush to introduce the character, Heart of Hush to actually make him a good villain.

Anyway, eh, maybe he's just the villain they show in the unveil? After milking the shit out of the Joker for three games, I'm seriously doubtful they'd put Hush in that spot. It'll probably just be the Joker again or some stupid shit.

I just hope they evolve the formula properly. Arkham City felt like a half-step forward from Asylum, so I want to see them get it right this time. Personally I'd be stoked if they put less emphasis on the arena battles and more on crime solving.

Some Nobody

Sorry, but the book did nothing for me. I guess the main reason was probably because nothing interesting happens through the story, and Loeb's attempts to coax emotion had fallen flat for me. It also didn't help that Peter's relationship with Gwen was (sadly) lightly touched upon, which was a missed opportunity to explore with further depth.

I'm sorry if you've felt offended. But different strokes, I guess....

That you're not a fan is fine. I disagree with your opinion. But "the biggest offender"? We're talking about the guy who created Red Hulk, here. Surely you could've found something far more offensive than that.

deim0s

Wishlist:
- Origin writers
- Court of Owls
- Batmobile
- Let me play as
Nightwing
, full campaign/parallel to Bats campaign.
- Let Bat's beat the shit out of Supes.

erawsd

Pretty much. Hush to introduce the character, Heart of Hush to actually make him a good villain.

Anyway, eh, maybe he's just the villain they show in the unveil? After milking the shit out of the Joker for three games, I'm seriously doubtful they'd put Hush in that spot. It'll probably just be the Joker again or some stupid shit.

I just hope they evolve the formula properly. Arkham City felt like a half-step forward from Asylum, so I want to see them get it right this time. Personally I'd be stoked if they put less emphasis on the arena battles and more on crime solving.

Man, I couldn't disagree more. I think AC is the modern day Mario 3 or Baldur's Gate 2; it an example of what a direct sequel should be.

Likewise, Origins is a great example of everything a direct sequel shouldn't be.

supermanfas_reveal_w.jpg

Volition should make a Superman game. With Saints Row, they've shown they can make overpowered superheroes fun. If they work on their polish and adopt the tone of the franchise (not all of their games are as irreverent as SR) I think they could do the character justice.

Blues1990

That you're not a fan is fine. I disagree with your opinion. But "the biggest offender"? We're talking about the guy who created Red Hulk, here. Surely you could've found something far more offensive than that.

I'll admit that after finishing Batman: Hush, I haven't bothered checking out anything else that was penned by him within the past 10 years. From what I've heard, Ultimates 3, Ultimatum, and his run on The Incredible Hulk are widely considered to be disjointed and pretty terrible.

But when that's coupled with the nature of comic book geek reactions on the internet, I don't really consider what he has done to be a hanging offense.

Combat. I don't really agree. The majority of the gadgets were just renamed and had the same effect as they did in City. Then there was the concussion grenade that actually didn't help in combat at all, it actually made it worse trying to avoid enemies randomly swinging punches. They tweaked the frequency of having to counter that didn't need tweaking and nerfed moves like the vault smash. And shock gloves were completely OP.

I'm hoping Rocksteady brings completely new move sets like they did for Arkham City.

I'm the complete opposite, I thought the improved combat forced the player to use their gadgets more and made combat a lot more riskier in terms of pulling off combos.

I loved that they lowered or tweaked the counter window. It was a change that was sorely needed as the combat in Asylum and City didn't really push the player do to more than attack and counter...

Putting the bugs to one side, Origins was probably the best Arkham game of the bunch. It certainly had the best gameplay, combat and story, not to mention Gotham covered in snow was fantastic.

Easily the best game of the trilogy and I really hope the rumour about WB Montreal working on a Suicide Squad is true...

One of the DC dudes has straight up said that a Suicide Squad game is in the makings, so something is happening.

Prototype

Man, I couldn't disagree more. I think AC is the modern day Mario 3 or Baldur's Gate 2; it an example of what a direct sequel should be.

Likewise, Origins is a great example of everything a direct sequel shouldn't be.

I agree 100%. I really liked Asylum but City is the game I still play and own.

I don't read comics, (tho I've browsed my fair share of Wikis, mostly Marvel) and never heard of Hush before, but his bio in the OP sounds so badass. So he's a plastic Surgeon that copies Bruce Waynes face and tries to ruin his life? That is the craziest idea for a villain ever, I absolutely love it!

I have full faith in Rocksteady this is going to be great.

would love to see them take on a Marvel license, like Iron Man

ZeroX03

Banned
I wouldn't mind Hush as a villain, but I wouldn't like him as the main villain. Same with the overall storyline, I wouldn't mind if they take elements from Batman: Hush, but a video game retelling would not be as interesting.

I have full faith in Rocksteady this is going to be great.

would love to see them take on a Marvel license, like Iron Man

That would never happen, Rocksteady is owned by Time Warner which owns DC Comics.

I haven't read Hush and I'm not familiar with him as a villain, but I'm so fucking bored of Batman games. I wish Rocksteady would get the chance to develop something new, but that's probably never going to happen.

Hush copies Joker's face, everyone thinks it's Joker. Revealed to be Hush at the end, only for Hush to remove a mask and is actually Joker.

This made me laugh :)

Prototype

That would never happen, Rocksteady is owned by Time Warner which owns DC Comics.

I know. But, there really isn't anyone else doing anything significant like they are with a Super Hero license. I just have to keep dreaming.

That said, it was the Arkham City that made me become a Batman fan. I liked it that much. I always just saw batman as DC's Tony Stark. No super human powers, rich, genius, fights bad guys. Lots of similarities between them. City gave me an appreciation for Batman on his own, and that was largely due to how good the game was, both story and game mechanics. Everything fired on all cylinders and worked together from combat to cut scene, I felt like a Super Hero.

erawsd

I'm the complete opposite, I thought the improved combat forced the player to use their gadgets more and made combat a lot more riskier in terms of pulling off combos.

I loved that they lowered or tweaked the counter window. It was a change that was sorely needed as the combat in Asylum and City didn't really push the player do to more than attack and counter...

My issue with AO's combat is that I found it actually didn't encourage me to use more varied combos or gadgets. Instead, I found myself resorting to cheap peck+roll tactics to thin out the numbers. The shorter counter window is fine, but huge increase in "homing punches"and not being able to cancel out makes it more frustrating. More challenging? sure. However, I'm not sure that I would say its more fun.

I do agree that counters are "OP" in AC. I think the way you fix that is by making enemies more reactive to Batman like giving all of them a chance to counter, make them begin blocking if Batman performs too many consecutive strikes.

ZeroX03

Banned
That said, it was the Arkham City that made me become a Batman fan. I liked it that much. I always just saw batman as DC's Tony Stark. No super human powers, rich, genius, fights bad guys. Lots of similarities between them.

Batman is 20+ years older than Iron Man. Tony Stark is Marvel's Bruce Wayne, not the other way around. And Tony Stark is heavily inspired by Howard Hughes anyway.

This is probably true, although Traveller's Tales have just made that Lego Marvel superhero game, and they too are owned by Warner.

Interesting stuff. The Lego IP has always been given a great deal of freedom to do creative stuff in both games and blocks. IIRC, they're a privately owned company and in a good position to act as a middleman in these sort of situations.

CloudWolf

Of course Hush is going to be in the next game. Scarecrow and Hush were basically confirmed for the sequel in Arkham City if you completed the side quests/found the Scarecrow easter eggs. I'm much more interested in what Azrael was referring to, I doubt it has to do with a small-timer like Hush.

Prototype

Batman is 20+ years older than Iron Man. Tony Stark is Marvel's Bruce Wayne, not the other way around. And Tony Stark is heavily inspired by Howard Hughes anyway.

I wasn't implying that Iron Man came before Batman. I was just comparing them in general. They have similarities. I just prefer Marvel's take, but I've grown to really like DC's take on that character archetype as well. Both characters are very interesting and my favorites from their respective universes. Also, bold, I knew, and it just makes him more badass.

Forkball

Considering the Hush arc in Arkham City, it's obvious that he was going to appear in the next title. I'm interested in Azrael's prophecy, perhaps Hush is heavily tied into it.

Xater

So we are getting Hush and it will not be written by Dini? God help us all.

I wasn't implying that Iron Man came before Batman. I was just comparing them in general. They have similarities. I just prefer Marvel's take, but I've grown to really like DC's take on that character archetype as well. Both characters are very interesting and my favorites from their respective universes. Also, bold, I knew, and it just makes him more badass.

Moon Knight is Marvel's real equivalent of Batman.

Hush is a decent villain. This big weakness?
His motivation for being the anti-Batman stems from the fact that he tried to kill his parents for their inheritance money when he was a kid. Bruce Wayne's dad, who was a master surgeon, managed to save his mother's life thereby preventing Hush from becoming rich as a young boy.
That motivation is so fucking dumb.

Prototype

I am not familiar enough with Black Panther. I think he is not broody enough and kinda too high profile.

lol, neither am I. You just sounded like you knew what you were talking about so I thought I'd ask. time to read a wiki I guess.

Top Bottom