• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is JonTron still doing the voice of an NPC in Playtonic's Yooka-Laylee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerium

Two years ago JonTron was invited to voice an NPC in the upcoming Yooka-Laylee.

jontronj8yvu.png

Recently he has publicly come out as a white nationalist who believes that immigrants are diluting the gene pool of the American "founding stock" among other interesting views.

I've asked around but cannot seem to find any updates on this subject, certainly none regarding whether or not Playtonic is aware of the controversy or has been asked about JonTron's participation in their game. I'm not saying that Playtonic should have been aware of JonTron's views on race at the time, but with the release coming next month I think some clarity on the situation would be appreciated.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

McDougles

Just like Adam Baldwin had a voice in Code Name S.T.E.A.M., there's not much you can do when timing just happens to suck.

LewieP

Yes I need to know this too.

Edit: JonTron has a pretty long track record of saying extremely dubious stuff. It's not a problem of timing. He went full white supremacist recently, but they'd had plenty of time to think this over.

Also the game is not out yet.

Kthulhu

Just like Adam Baldwin had a voice in Code Name S.T.E.A.M., there's not much you can do when timing just happens to suck.

My thoughts exactly. I backed the Kickstarter too, so it's not like I can do anything now even if I was mad about it.

Edit: To be clear I do not like JonTron anymore. I just am not angered by the fact he's a voice in Yooka-Laylee.

bluexy

I'm not going to kick an indie for something they never could have seen coming, especially if it's just a few gibberish sounds.

Mega

Banned
It hardly matters if it was done before all this stuff with him happened.

I'm glad I didn't back/pre-order this.

Why? The entire game is shit now because of a minor voice role in 2015 that's so far removed from what happened in 2017?

I'm not going to kick an indie for something they never could have seen coming, especially if it's just a few gibberish sounds.

These. The people that are acting like this is a reason to not back or preorder are being a bit harsh.

I'm glad I didn't back/pre-order this.

Must be so easy to judge when hindsight is 20/20.

Jon is a shit tier human being and i refuse to support his yt content any longer, but i love rare, and the 3d platformer,
And something tells me the guys at playtonic had not a clue that jon had these ignorant bat shit ideals, so no i will not hold that against playtonic if he is still there and i will support their game.

tsundoku

Does it make a difference to you if he worked on a single paid contract, pro-bono, or if he's receiving voice royalties?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Maybe ask someone who knows? Like the developers on twitter. Then maybe post when you have news?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom