• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January 2016 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes February 9th

Watch Sony anouncing a permanent price drop 2 weeks before UC4 hits, standard UC4 bundle at $299, LE @ $349 ;)
This price drop has to come well before VR is released. Should not be announced at E3 to not steal the spotlight. So, UC4 bundle would be a good timing.
Question is only if they lower the bundle to 299 or just the pure console.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Now that the predictions are over, i wonder, why so many guys expect PS4 and / or XB1 to be flat, or even down YOY? Seem likely believe both will be up, maybe not by a lot but i would like to know why so many predictions have both flat / down.

In January? M&L was out for like a week.

Also check my edit with regards to LEGO.

Woops, i was confused with the European released which was 3rd of December. xD

In that case yeah, ~60K seem a fair estimate.

jjonez18

Now that the predictions are over, i wonder, why so many guys expect PS4 and / or XB1 to be flat, or even down YOY? Seem likely believe both will be up, maybe not by a lot but i would like to know why so many predictions have both flat.

I'm thinking both are coming off of strong holidays. Both will drop hard. Post holidays are not kind. Add to the fact nothing of note has released. Not sure how much of a hardware mover it was, but there is also the of anything Dying Light-sized.

On second thought, I should have put PS4 up a bit YoY because CoD bundle for 349$ is a much better proposition than the then new 399$ TLOU bundle. As for XB1, I had it up YoY. Lower price, bundles (bundles... EVERYWHERE), no "holiday pricing is ending, (2 weeks later) never mind just kidding" type situation to completely kill sales. I guess we will see the impact of lower pricepoints/better bundling as well as if the general public cares enough to buy consoles outside of the holiday period.

Vena

I went with a drop YoY because I honestly think people DO change their shopping habits more and more to favor shopping heavily in the holidays and then not at all immediately afterwards.

The focus on the holidays has become so much more pronounced and big that I equally expect the subsequent decline to also grow.

RexNovis

Banned
LMFAO at MS releasing yet another bundle in April. They have 12 separate SKUs available at Best Buy already. Shit is beyond ridiculous at this point.

All predictions seem pretty close. I wonder how we will get our numbers this time.
Nature will find it's way.

life_finds_a_way_jurassic_park.gif

Bgamer90

Banned
Not sure what's funny about MS making another Xbox One bundle. At least 2 new ones for 2016 (Quantum Break and Gears 4) is pretty inevitable IMO.

Conduit

Banned
Not sure what's funny about MS making another Xbox One bundle. At least 2 new ones for 2016 (Quantum Break and Gears 4) is pretty inevitable IMO.

Besides other 12 bundles which are still on shelves at retail and The Division and Quantum Break are near.....it is funny.

The one other thing I'll say about the *possible* bundle is that it appears its priced more competitively than say The Division bundle

RexNovis

Banned

This is why:

No problem. The bundle is not going to do jack shit.

Rex, I want to put some things in perspective here. This is just to help put some stuff out there for everyone too, just to indulge some curiosity for some folks too.

You can go to the Best Buy website, and click on the list of Xbox One bundles, and the list is frankly, insane. It's so fucking long. But what is insane about it, is how many of those bundles are still actually available.

The XBox One Holiday Bundle is available all but 3 of the stores within 400 miles of my home store.

The Tomb Raider Bundle is available at every single one of those same stores. No store is out.

The Halo Bundle is available at every one of those stores as well.

These are all readily available, but they're now releasing yet another bundle, and I don't think they really anticipate it doing anything. I almost want to tell my managers to say to take as minimal stock as possible because we're still carrying all of these, and most of those bundles don't move at all. They're too expensive and they present no real value to most of our customers at this point.

They have literally flooded the market with bundles that people are not buying (again 12 separate XB1 SKUs available at Best Buy) and now we find out they are releasing more bundles? Yea I don't see how that's not amusing.

The one other thing I'll say about the *possible* bundle is that it appears its priced more competitively than say The Division bundle

A Quantum Break bundle would be OK (I don't see that game doing much sales wise or selling systems), but April is a lock for PS4. Only question is by how much.

Elandyll

Banned
MS needs to release cheaper bundles.

I don't know why The Division bundle is $399.
Obliterator seems to hint at a $299 XB1 bundle in April I guess. QB would make sense in a way (1st party), but I also fully expect Sony to do the same either with UC4 or UCC, so in the end it probably will only boost sales so much.
This being said I think this year the XB1 will need every bit of help it'll be able to find, as I expect it to be down YoY on its home market pretty much every month save maybe 1 or 2 (Thursday should be a good indicator).

Profits. It is weird to see Sony bundle games like COD and Battlefront at $349 while Xbox doesn't seem to be willing to do that with 3rd party games.

Deal is probably set up differently? Maybe Ps4 outselling the XB1 2:1 has something to do with. We really don't know seeing as we never get an insight in these things.

Now I never said no $299 ya'll. Just better than $399.

Honestly screw teasing $350 is what I've heard. Then again this is just what Ive heard. I'm not trying to state this as fact so make of the info what you will.

I still a $50 price cut happening soon. All these $399 bundles have to go.

If it is gonna be $399 at least make it a limited edition model. I don't think the average consumer cares about the 1TB hard drive much, especially considering Xbox One works with external drives.

Bgamer90

Banned
This is why:

They have literally flooded the market with bundles that people are not buying (again 12 separate XB1 SKUs available at Best Buy) and now we find out they are releasing more bundles? Yea I don't see how that's not amusing.

Besides other 12 bundles which are still on shelves at retail and The Division and Quantum Break are near.....it is funny.

I still don't see how it's really funny to be honest. This gen has had a ton of bundles already for both consoles and it's pretty inevitable for MS to make bundles alongside their biggest exclusives.

I mean, either they don't push a new IP and let it die or they push it with good effort alongside a bundle. I definitely feel that the latter is a better move. Seems like there would be criticism in both cases though so I'm not sure what would be considered the best move here.

RexNovis

Banned
I still a $50 price cut happening soon. All these $399 bundles have to go.

Their biggest problem @ $399 is that they are more expensive than the PS4 at that point. As we have seen so far this gen the XB1 sells significantly less (comparitvely) when it is priced above or equal to the PS4. It was only when they undercut the PS4 that they started seeing significant numbers. Even if this new bundle is $349 that still puts it at price parity with the competing console and thats just not gonna be a favorable comparison for them. Its crazy to me that they didnt continue with their go to strategy of last year (undercutting the competition) when it worked pretty well for them (up YoY in almost every month). I mean it seems obvious to me after an entire year of undercutting the competition and offering crazy discounts and bundles that the sales gulf between PS4 and XB1 is going to grow significantly if XB1 prices its self above or equal to the PS4.

I still don't see how it's really funny to be honest. This gen has had a ton of bundles already for both consoles and it's pretty inevitable for MS to make bundles alongside their biggest exclusives.

Most of the XB1 bundles are still widely available. They need to sell through their existing inventory before they go pushing even more bundles. Or do you think it is normal to have 7- 8 separate SKus available for purchase at most retailers? How many other retail products do you see that have that many SKUs? Not many. So when word comes down that they will be releasing yet another bundle on top of the ones that are still available at this point it strikes me as being laughable.

I mean, either they don't push a new IP and let it die or they push it with good effort alongside a bundle. I definitely feel that the latter is a better move. Seems like there would be criticism in both cases though so I'm not sure what would be considered the best move here.

You act as if its impossible to push a new game without releasing a bundle. Thats patently false. You can still "push a new ip" without resorting to releasing yet another SKU in a market that is already piled high with numerous other SKUs. Ad campaigns were around for a long time before bundling became the in thing to do. There are plenty of ways to advertise. Bundles are not mandatory.

Bgamer90

Banned
Most of the XB1 bundles are still widely available. They need to sell through their existing inventory before they go pushing even more bundles. Or do you think it is normal to have 7- 8 separate SKus available for purchase at most retailers? How many other retail products do you see that have that many SKUs? Not many. So when word comes down that they will be releasing yet another bundle on top of the ones that are still available at this point it strikes me as being laughable.

I never said having 7-8 SKUs is normal; I was pretty surprised by the number of bundles that were around late last year. I can't think of any previous gens in which systems had as many SKUs as the PS4 and/or Xbox One have had this gen so far.

You act as if its impossible to push a new game without releasing a bundle. Thats patently false. You can still "push a new ip" without resorting to releasing yet another SKU in a market that is already piled high with numerous other SKUs. Ad campaigns were around for a long time before bundling became the in thing to do. There are plenty of ways to advertise. Bundles are not mandatory.

I never said every new IP needs a bundle though so I don't understand how I'm acting that way to you.

I do however feel that a new IP that's the size of Quantum Break will benefit from a bundle (on top of ad campaigns) and that a bundle will only help the game be a possible success (instead of hurting it). So yeah, I don't understand the criticism. I'm sure we all want more new IPs -- not sure how a company trying to help a new AAA IP do better via a possible bundle would be really surprising.

it's not really the biggest exclusives that are getting bundles it's pretty much every exclusive getting one. I'm going to go out on a limb and say there will be a bundle for the lesser known exclusives this year like ReCore and Crackdown3.

Welfare

It's like I said earlier. Bundle of the month will most likely be a thing for MS from now on. The only off month I can see is July, with the possibility of May.

RexNovis

Banned
I never said having 7-8 SKUs is normal; I was pretty surprised by the number of bundles that were around late last year. I can't think of any previous gens in which systems had as many SKUs as the PS4 and/or Xbox One have had this gen so far.

See the difference here is that most of the PS4 bundles have sold through and are no longer available. As of now there are 3 bundles available for the PS4 with many retailers being sold out of 1 or 2 of them. Contrast this to the situation for the XB1 right now where it is common to see 6+ separate SKUs available at retail and you get your asnwer as to why its a bit ridiculous that they are thinking of releasing not just another bundle (division bundle) but also yet another bundle shortly thereafter.

I never said every new IP needs a bundle though so I don't understand how I'm acting that way to you.

You said this

I mean, either they don't push a new IP and let it die or they push it with good effort alongside a bundle.

Which is an either or situation which reads to me that you are saying these are the only two options available: this or that. I was pointing out that thats not the case and that they can still "push" a new ip so as not to "let it die" without needing a bundle to do so.

I do however feel that a new IP that's the size of Quantum Break will benefit from a bundle (on top of ad campaigns) and that a bundle will only help the game be a possible success (instead of hurting it). So yeah, I don't understand the criticism. I'm sure we all want new IPs -- not sure how a company trying to help a new AAA IP do better via a possible bundle is really surprising.

The issue here isnt the idea that they are bundling a new IP. Thats normal and in any other situation it would be fine. The issue here is the added context of their current situation at retail. That situation makes the idea of yet another bundle a bit crazy regardless of their intentions.

As far as new IP's getting a "push" from bundling goes, I'm not convinced that bundles do all too much to "push" new IPs. Generally a bundle exists for the opposite reasons: to increase HW sales by providing an additional product with pre-existing demand to therefore increase the consumer's value proposition of said HW . For example you can look at the sales of Sunset Overdrive. With Sunset Overdrive you had a limited bundle that sold out relatively fast thanks to being a new color. Despite this the software went on to perform poorly. Id argue thats a very clear picture of why bundles arent really a valid way to "push" new IPs.

Bundles do well when the software included is already in high demand (see Destiny, CoD, Battlefront, The Division etc) or when they are offered as the only point of entry for the lowest price point available (see UC Remastered, TLOU Remastered, GOW:UE bundles during holidays). I dont see the alluded to Quantum Break bundle fitting into either of these categories.

It's like I said earlier. Bundle of the month will most likely be a thing for MS from now on. The only off month I can see is July, with the possibility of May.

At some point you are just going to piss off retailers though. The situation is already kind of crazy and if they plan to continue pumping out these sorts of bundles they will be faced with prospect of retailers refusing to buy new SKUs until they sell down their existing stock. SO unless they are planning to do regular buybacks on unsold inventory, which would be incredibly cost inefficient, I just dont see that being viable.

That's exactly what they need. A 350USD Quantum Break bundle with a Xbox360 backwards compatible Alan Wake would most likely still lead to a lost April, but it should still do very well for them. Wait... what if it is Dark Souls 3? ...hmmmmmmmm

RexNovis

Banned
That's exactly what they need. A 350USD Quantum Break bundle with a Xbox360 backwards compatible Alan Wake would most likely still lead to a lost April, but it should still do very well for them. Wait... what if it is Dark Souls 3? ...hmmmmmmmm

Hadn't thought of that. They do have some sort of marketing deal. Certainly possible. Having both previous entries packaged in as Back Compat versions would be a pretty big selling point for fans of the series.

Hadn't thought of that. They do have some sort of marketing deal. Certainly possible. Having both previous entries packaged in as Back Compat versions would be a pretty big selling point for fans of the series.

I don't think that would do anything. At all. The only backwards compatibility that's interesting there is Dark Souls 1 since SOTFS is out on XB1/PS4 already.

And while DS1 is looked back upon much favorably then DS2, I can't imagine the number of Souls fan that aren't already on PS4/PC that would find that remotely enticing is meaningful at all. In fact, I'd say a Dark Souls bundle is about as good of an idea as bringing back the TR bundle for another push.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
I do however feel that a new IP that's the size of Quantum Break will benefit from a bundle
While I do think that Quantum Break is the kind of an exclusive game that deserves its own bundle, I would not exactly call it a big new IP. Max Payne was big, Alan Wake is basically a cult hit, but we know nothing of how well QB will find its audience.

Also, Microsoft has less than stellar track record when it comes to capitalizing their exclusives. Ryse didn't set the world on fire, Sunset Overdrive not much more so, Tomb Raider was more or less a disaster. With some serious marketing dollars QB could sell well, but I'm not sure how much Xbox division is allowed to spend on marketing.

allan-bh

Watch Sony anouncing a permanent price drop 2 weeks before UC4 hits, standard UC4 bundle at $299, LE @ $349 ;)

Sony cut the price in october, I don't think they will cut again so soon.

Plus I don't think a standard bundle will be launched because probably would be announced together with the LE bundle, like in Batman and Battlefront cases.

Elandyll

Banned
Sony cut the price in october, I don't think they will cut again so soon.

Plus I don't think a standard bundle will be launched because probably would be announced together with the LE bundle, like in Batman and Battlefront cases.
My reasoning is that in the third year in the system's life, the $50 drop to$349 was very tame and I pretty much expect the other shoe to drop.
Sony also needs to increase the userbase for PSVR as much as possible, and a further permanent $50 drop (which they already did in Nov and Dec for a limited time btw) alongside UC4 would imo make sense.

I'm pretty sure there will be a Quantum Break bundle, MS needs to promote their new IP. Just hope they aren't dumb enough to make another $399 1TB bundle.
Does anyone know or can give an educated guess how much more 1TB instead of 500GB cost for MS or Sony? 10$?

Top Bottom