• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 15 - 21 Aug

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Mihail said:
Perhaps you don't agree with my views on Sony and how they're hurting the entertainment industry, but if you get to know me, I think you'll find that I'm a pretty decent guy and we might even enjoy being friends.
Why do I find this post so creepy?

Tony HoTT

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
Why do I find this post so creepy?

Sometime you're going to have to come over. My father has a swimming pool at his summer home. We can bask in the sun all day conversing about the entertainment industry and then remove our clothes and take a refreshing dip in the swimming pool.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
SEGA had achieved higher selling games in Japan multiple times throughout their history. Their best effort might've been Virtua Fighter 2 which sold around 1.8M units for Saturn.

jarrod

Banned
Lazy8s said:
SEGA had achieved higher selling games in Japan multiple times throughout their history. Their best effort might've been Virtua Fighter 2 which sold around 1.8M units for Saturn.
I wish we could get better documented Saturn sales figures, I think we'd be surprised at how well games actually sold. Daytona and Panzer Dragoon both topped 800k, with NiGHTS, Grandia and Sega Rally all passing 600k too iirc. There's been some contention, but I remember reading VF1 sold 1.1 million as well... if only Sega was as free with back catalogue sales information as Nintendo or Capcom. :/

AniHawk

jarrod said:
I wish we could get better documented Saturn sales figures, I think we'd be surprised at how well games actually sold. Daytona and Panzer Dragoon both topped 800k, with NiGHTS, Grandia and Sega Rally all passing 600k too iirc. There's been some contention, but I remember reading VF1 sold 1.1 million as well... if only Sega was as free with back catalogue sales information as Nintendo or Capcom. :/

I wish we could have access to the sales of old Game Gear games too.

puck1337

VerTiGo said:
Oops. I should've been more specific. I meant since they've become a third party developer and publisher.
I'm pretty sure VF4 sold like hotcakes. I may be wrong about that though.

heidern

VF4 sold around 550K and is currently the highest selling Sega 3rd party game. The Lets make a pro baseball team games also passed the 500K mark in 2002 and 2003(but last years only did 350K). Going back to the DC days I think Shemue got pretty close to 500K as well. However it was during the Saturn days when Sega were at their best when VF4 sold over 1.7 million. But yeah, if Mushiking keeps selling and beats the 600K mark it would become the biggest Sega game in Japan in almost 10 years.

mj1108

borghe said:
SCEA (and SCEI) still have to focus attention on trying to bring publishers (games and movies) into the fold. I have a hard time believing at THIS point that you have movie publishers (aside from recent blockbusters) saying let's release that to UMD. Especially season sets and whatnot. I imagine the Sony Computing arms are working with movie publishers to get UMD movies. That is what I was referring to. I would hope they are putting more effeort into getting publishers to make games, but it really looks the other way around.

Going into any store around here, you'd swear the PSP was more of a portable video player than a machine that plays games -- especially when Best Buy and WalMart each have only a dozen different games and 60+ movies for sale.

Looks like DS will hit 3 million next week.

A recent addition to my spreadsheet was to do all the regular totaling/week over weeking/etc. with Consoles as a whole and Portables as a whole. I was pretty surprised to see that the YTD for each is Consoles: 1,480,485 and Portables: 3,113,694... hell, looking at DS's YTD of 1,462,985 with another decent week or two it could outdo the sum of all consoles. Of course, since it already passed PS2, additionally surpassing GameCube and Xbox isn't the world's most amazing feat.

verplant said:
I've got the same numbers (klick )
I was comparing your numbers to mine looking for discrepancies, then checking the old threads for confirmation. I found a few mistakes of my own, but I found a number of GBA+GBASP total errors which seem to be on your end. Weeks of June 20, May 23, March 28, February 21, and February 14. Search out old threads or the GameScience archives for confirmation.

mj1108 said:
Going into any store around here, you'd swear the PSP was more of a portable video player than a machine that plays games -- especially when Best Buy and WalMart each have only a dozen different games and 60+ movies for sale.
Or, like my brother, think PSP was getting a shitload of games based on movies.

GaimeGuy

JoshuaJSlone said:
Looks like DS will hit 3 million next week.

A recent addition to my spreadsheet was to do all the regular totaling/week over weeking/etc. with Consoles as a whole and Portables as a whole. I was pretty surprised to see that the YTD for each is Consoles: 1,480,485 and Portables: 3,113,694... hell, looking at DS's YTD of 1,462,985 with another decent week or two it could outdo the sum of all consoles. Of course, since it already passed PS2, additionally surpassing GameCube and Xbox isn't the world's most amazing feat.

I was comparing your numbers to mine looking for discrepancies, then checking the old threads for confirmation. I found a few mistakes of my own, but I found a number of GBA+GBASP total errors which seem to be on your end. Weeks of June 20, May 23, March 28, February 21, and February 14. Search out old threads or the GameScience archives for confirmation.

Or, like my brother, think PSP was getting a shitload of games based on movies.

Your brother is a retard. :lol

mj1108

Zeo said:
rofl

I wonder if that's a common mistake.

I actually witnessed that a couple of weeks ago in WM. They have the PSP movies in with the games and the guy was checking out the back of a couple of movies and talking about how great those PSP graphics are. :lol

GaimeGuy

mj1108 said:
I actually witnessed that a couple of weeks ago in WM. They have the PSP movies in with the games and the guy was checking out the back of a couple of movies and talking about how great those PSP graphics are. :lol
What the hell? Did you bother telling him that those are MOVIES?

Jesus christ. How can anyone honestly think after EXAMINING the boxes that those are games? WTF?

GDGF

Soothsayer
Jonnyram said:
Software

1. Naruto (Bandai, PS2): 96054
2. Jump Super Stars (Nintendo, DS): 57123 (278035)
3. Winning Eleven (Konami, PS2): 55827 (731722)
4. Yawaraka Atama (Nintendo, DS): 46526 (384340)
5. Otona no DS Training (Nintendo, DS): 37862 (421738)
6. Mushiking (Sega, GBA): 28832 (489981)
7. Pokemon XD (Nintendo GC): 21942 (159129)
8. Super Mario Stadium Miracle Baseball (Nintendo, GC): 17514 (139009)
9. Super Robot Taisen alpha 3 (Banpresto, PS2): 17163 (566382)
10. The Uchu Boengun 2 (D3 Publisher, PS2): 16313 (95009)

Hardware

1. DS: 80945 (1462984)
2. PS2: 33292 (1322678)
3. PSP: 23923 (1150150)
4. GBASP: 16721 (483335)
5. GC: 3960 (148345)
6. GBA: 822 (17219)
7. Xbox: 263 (9458)

From Next Generation, who don't appear to care too much about the accuracy of the titles, so maybe the figures are a little off in places too ;)

Not bad. Pretty damn close with my DS numbers (NDS 82,000) and within a decent range (PSP 18,000) of my PSP guess.

Link

The Autumn Wind
GaimeGuy said:

Jesus christ. How can anyone honestly think after EXAMINING the boxes that those are games? WTF?
Have you talked to the majority of people that play games lately? These are the same people that made Enter the Matrix a multi-million seller.

GaimeGuy

Link said:
Have you talked to the majority of people that play games lately? These are the same people that made Enter the Matrix a multi-million seller.

true. :(

mj1108

GaimeGuy said:

I wanted to, but he was talking about it to one of the guys that works there. Me and the guy that worked there looked at each other with the "this guy doesn't know shit" look. :lol

Top Bottom