• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb reiterates that the PlayStation Showcase is happening this month

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
though this time I don't know how they'll market it without HDR and 4k.
8K!
Hugh Jackman Reaction GIF

Interesting since memorial day is a federal holiday. The only way I could see this happening is if it's announced today, but seeming less and less like it would be a showcase and maybe more of a state of play focusing mostly on Final Shape, but I guess we'll see.

Expecting an announcement tomorrow (or today, depending on when you are reading this) for next Wednesday, 5/29.

Interesting since memorial day is a federal holiday. The only way I could see this happening is if it's announced today, but seeming less and less like it would be a showcase and maybe more of a state of play focusing mostly on Final Shape, but I guess we'll see.
They usually announce not long before the date don't they? So it's still feasible it's happening this month. It's probably already filmed as it's not live anymore.

I'd be really surprised if they announce the Pro before September.
It's what they've done it the last time(actually it was Oct IIRC), not to mention all the respective big-slim revisions were announced like a month from launch too - Sony's never done the - 'oh let's announce hw up to 2 years in advance and see if it can crater our sales even more' type of thing.

But yes - I'd sort of expect an event dedicated just to the Pro(again like the last one) - though this time I don't know how they'll market it without HDR and 4k.
Better RT and AI upscaling are a slam PR dunk I think? Isn't what Nvidia GPUs are famous for (not really 4K or HDR) and are selling for odious prices? Sony won't need to do a lot. Just show Spider-man 2 with much better RT / IQ compared to PS5 version with a few more comparisons of AI upscaling results in others games. And I expect scalpers will have a field day with this new model as I don't expect Sony to produce enough of those like they did with PS4 Pro.

I say it again, Cory Barlogs new game.
I still remember when Ragnarok was announced that it was said he would not be directing since he is working on a new game.

Considering that was years ago, it’s about time we get some kind of announcement.

ProtoByte

I say it again, Cory Barlogs new game.
I still remember when Ragnarok was announced that it was said he would not be directing since he is working on a new game.

Considering that was years ago, it’s about time we get some kind of announcement.
In an efficient world we would get that, ND's new game, Ghost 2, Asobi, Bluepoint and Bend's titles.

kaizenkko

Sony already said that they will launch a lot of first party games in FY25/26, so we definitely can expect a showcase and many announcement from their studios.

nial

In an efficient world we would get that, ND's new game, Ghost 2, Asobi, Bluepoint and Bend's titles.
Eh, Bluepoint would always take a lot, they didn't have actual designers on their team until after they were acquired. 2027 for that one, IMO.
It's why Demon's Souls 2020 was a project led by Japan Studio.

Last edited:
Sony would be doing Bungie so incredibly dirty if they had a SOP that focused solely on Destiny. I would be shocked if we weren't getting a showcase. I strongly believe they would have already told their consumers nothing is coming this May. It would just be incredibly bad PR if they didn't

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Flashbacks of the year when everybody was expecting a showcase and the year went by with nothing.

We were spoiled with the PS4, but now never expect any big event from PlayStation and you'll be fine.

tmlDan

What does this mean?

It's so annoying when people post a single word with no context. Say what you mean, FFS. Really grinds my gears
Whenever someone says "grinds my gears" all I think of is this (we can direct this at Grubb):

rkofan87

Gold Member
Before the Xbox event? That would, going by their history, be unlikely.

There's that Sony Group "long-term vision" presentation coming up, but I imaging that will be more business- oriented than consumer.

But, we'll see...
so its june then dam you grub.

Before the Xbox event? That would, going by their history, be unlikely.

There's that Sony Group "long-term vision" presentation coming up, but I imaging that will be more business- oriented than consumer.

But, we'll see...
Last year it was before the whole summer game fest thing as well?
Somewhere in May and the others followed in June.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Everytime I see the name Jeff Grubb, I keep thinking of the Dungeons and Dragons author.

CamHostage

Last year it was before the whole summer game fest thing as well?
Somewhere in May and the others followed in June.

Oh, I'll be damned, Sony did do their main show in May last year, and then Xbox did June (on a Sunday, which is their usual weird thing, but that used to be because they wanted to be the first event of all of E3).

Last edited:

yurinka

There is no "long-term vision" presentation coming for customerrs.

Totoki was talking about the Corporate Strategy Meeting they'll have tomorrow and the Business Segments Meeting they'll have May 30th, both mettings to detail results, forecasts and strategy to their investors. It's something they do every year a couple months after the end of the FY. They are for the whole Sony group, not PS/gaming only.

That is totally unrelated to have or not a Showcase/State of Play this or next month.

Perfect time for Ghosts of tsushima 2 to go with the PC release.
Ghost-of-Tsushima-artwork-1-scaled.jpg

It's time.

I think GoT2 won't be thee, less than 3 years ago they released the Director's Cut, Ikki Island DLC and the PS5 sku a few months after they had released the GoT Legends MP mode. I'd say it's too early, nowadays AAA games take 5-9 years to be made and Sony likes to show them when pretty close to release.

Bluepoint is working as support team again as they did for GoWR, they don't have anough designers to lead their own AAA game.

Pretty likely it would be also too early to show ND's next game. Remember they cancelled TLOU Online. They apparently started to work on their next SP game in 2021, and AAA games take nowadays 5-9 years. They cancelled TLOU Online after being announced, so very likely they won't announce early any other game. Pretty likely they'll follow the Sony strategy for most of their games, where they wait until close to release to show it.

What we should see here instead would be The Final Shape, Until Dawn Remake, Concord, Lost Soul Aside, Convallaria, Silent Hill 2 and maybe if lucky Marathon, Death Standing 2, Horizon Online, Venom and (if exists) Cory's new IP.

I'd say he's lying, just like Jeff. Sony announces their showcases a week or two before they are made. I'd say unless they announce it in a day or two there won't be showcase in May.

I think both should be banned as rumor sources.

Last edited:
Jeff Grubb soon: “I’m hearing they’re delaying the showcase due to Rishi Sunak calling for a general election and looking like a flushed turd. I’m hearing it’ll be June, because Sony wants to be respectful to the UK.”

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
No, less than 3 years ago they released the Director's Cut, Ikki Island DLC and the PS5 sku a few months after they had released the GoT Legends MP mode. I'd say it's too early, nowadays AAA games take 5-9 years to be made and Sony likes to show them when pretty close to release.

We'll see.

yurinka

Ghosts 2 isn't taking more than 4-5 years, definitiely not 9, lol.
99% for 2025.
Rise of the Ronin took 9 years, Helldivers 2 took 8 years.

Which current gen only big AAA open world game was developed in 4 years?

not happening. sony doesnt care about us
You believing Jeff and Nick's lies is your fault. Not Sony's one.

Sony traditionally had their showcases early June (next to the rest of the conferences from the other big publishers) or in September. Making it in May last year wasn't something common.

Last edited:
There is no "long-term vision" presentation coming for customerrs.

Totoki was talking about the Corporate Strategy Meeting they'll have tomorrow and the Business Segments Meeting they'll have May 30th, both mettings to detail results, forecasts and strategy to their investors. It's something they do every year a couple months after the end of the FY. They are for the whole Sony group, not PS/gaming only.

That is totally unrelated to have or not a Showcase/State of Play this or next month.

I think GoT2 won't be thee, less than 3 years ago they released the Director's Cut, Ikki Island DLC and the PS5 sku a few months after they had released the GoT Legends MP mode. I'd say it's too early, nowadays AAA games take 5-9 years to be made and Sony likes to show them when pretty close to release.

Bluepoint is working as support team again as they did for GoWR, they don't have anough designers to lead their own AAA game.

Pretty likely it would be also too early to show ND's next game. Remember they cancelled TLOU Online. They apparently started to work on their next SP game in 2021, and AAA games take nowadays 5-9 years. They cancelled TLOU Online after being announced, so very likely they won't announce early any other game. Pretty likely they'll follow the Sony strategy for most of their games, where they wait until close to release to show it.

What we should see here instead would be The Final Shape, Until Dawn Remake, Concord, Lost Soul Aside, Convallaria, Silent Hill 2 and maybe if lucky Marathon, Death Standing 2, Horizon Online, Venom and (if exists) Cory's new IP.

I'd say he's lying, just like Jeff. Sony announces their showcases a week or two before they are made. I'd say unless they announce it in a day or two there won't be showcase in May.

I think both should be banned as rumor sources.
AAA games don't take 9 years, unless you are Rockstar games. Ghost of Tsushima released in 2020. Sucker Punch surely went into pre-production for GOT 2 immediately after, or even before GOT released. You only need a small team for Pre-production. Once Iki Island DLC released in 2021, GOT2 probably went into full production. Late 2025 or early 2026 release for GOT 2 makes complete sense. It definitely has a better chance of showing up than Corey Barlog's new IP, since they didn't go into full production until early 2023(at the earliest).

Last edited:

rkofan87

Gold Member
now that i think with xbox doing this third party stuff i can see playstation going after xbox some time the week of june 9th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom