• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jump Super Stars - The Official Thread

duckroll

I don't see why it would be unlikely at all to be released in the US. The same company owns ALL the rights to the characters, since they publish Jump. They own Viz in the US and effectively own the rights in the US as well. Anime series licensing are exclusive to the TV series alone, nothing more. There are also no voices in the game so there would be no problems with getting the same voices for the game.

Oh shit that opening owned.. o_O

NCSX said preorders made before August 4th now are shipping tomorow! So I am getting mine Saturday since I did USPS (God bless saturday deliveries) Express :p

NotMSRP

need good real-life pictures of the red DS from several angles

screw playasia on price gouging on the bonus book
damn HKers always do this kind of stunt

Jonnyram

I got my copy and my pre-order booklet today.
I've spent a couple of hours on it so far.
Seems like good fun. You probably spend more time setting up your deck than fighting, but it's all good :D

One thing... importers who don't speak Japanese are gonna have a tricky time. A lot of the missions in single player mode have objectives written in Japanese. I'm sure we'll be able to help you get through it, but just a heads up. I've unlocked quite a lot of One Piece and Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo stuff so far. I got V-Jump too so I've unlocked the Eyeshield char and Sasuke.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Jonnyram said:
Seems like good fun. You probably spend more time setting up your deck than fighting, but it's all good :D

One thing... importers who don't speak Japanese are gonna have a tricky time. A lot of the missions in single player mode have objectives written in Japanese. I'm sure we'll be able to help you get through it, but just a heads up. I've unlocked quite a lot of One Piece and Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo stuff so far. I got V-Jump too so I've unlocked the Eyeshield char and Sasuke.
I had a feeling there would be a lot of Japanese text to deal with. It is a manga based game, after all. That won't stop me though.

The fact that I won't have a home address for another day or two will stop me, though.

NotMSRP

The Japanese writing should be low-leveled.

Where are you ordering from to get the book? Hope it isn't Playasia.

kiun

NotMSRP said:
The Japanese writing should be low-leveled.

Where are you ordering from to get the book? Hope it isn't Playasia.

yeah its Play-Asia. I figured that I might as well get the book now, rather than hoping to score one on ebay or yahoo japan.

Plus, there's $5 off coupon.

FoneBone

duckroll said:
I don't see why it would be unlikely at all to be released in the US. The same company owns ALL the rights to the characters, since they publish Jump. They own Viz in the US and effectively own the rights in the US as well. Anime series licensing are exclusive to the TV series alone, nothing more. There are also no voices in the game so there would be no problems with getting the same voices for the game.
You're sure that it wouldn't conflict with, say, Atari's DBZ license at all?

And I stand by what I've said -- if Nintendo had any intent of bringing it over, there is NO REASON why it would not have been shown at E3.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
duckroll said:

I hope so...is this Nintendo published? Viz getting into the video game business in the US is a terrible idea considering how they can easily fuck up a manga. >.>

Jeff-DSA

I'll probably just order this in the next day or two. I can't imagine it coming to the States any time soon with the amount of Japanese hype it's received and the total hush hush nature of it here in the States.

it depends on what kind of agreement nintendo made with shueisha, the publisher of Shonen Jump. If the licensing deal is only about Japan, then Nintendo would have to get the license from whoever publishes SJ in NA, however, if theylicensed it for a worldwide release, then there's no problem at all, especially since it's a first party game

Jonnyram

This game is really going to be massive. I have a feeling that Nintendo will bring it to the US too if they can sort out the licenses. It's got a lot in common with Smash Brothers, and even though I don't have a great love of all things Jump, I still enjoy the wacky character designs.

mutsu

Jonnyram said:

Hey Jonnyram, just wondering if you have tried these?

http://www.jun4rui.com/pics/m20050721/036xy.jpg
http://www.jun4rui.com/pics/m20050721/026aj.jpg

Jonnyram

Yes, I bought the mag myself and used the one that came with it. Ah, I guess I said the guy from Eyeshield before, rather than Slam Dunk... my mistake. They're only good as help characters at the start because you don't get serif frames for those manga until later in the game. I think they are SP help characters though. I haven't tried them to see what they do actually.

I think there's going to be a lot of translation requests going on here when people get the game. Each proper stage has 4 or 5 conditions you have to fill to get new manga frames, and they're always pretty different.

littlewig

Banned
I'm going to Australia in a week, but my flight will stop at Toyko first where I'm spending two days at. This game is definately at the top of my "To Buy List" along side with Quendan. :D

TheDiave

Banned
With no American release in sight, this thread is such a dick tease for those of us who aren't planning to import. *sob*

mutsu

Is the Single Player mode any fun? How long have you played so far and how far in do you think you are?

neo2046

to be honest,
Ouendan is much more fun and enjoyable than JSS.......
(I mean one play mode, I have no chance to try versus mode yet)

Jonnyram

mutsu said:
Is the Single Player mode any fun? How long have you played so far and how far in do you think you are?
Hell yes. It's massive fun, and that's how you get all the manga pieces :)

I've done the first world (of five?) and got a lot of One Piece, Bobobo-bo Bobobo and Shaman King stuff. Some of the stages are just "Beat everyone up", some are "Kick in all the walls", but most of the extra stuff comes from conditions like "Finish with X secs left on the clock", "Win without getting KO'd once", "Win with a certain number of support frames in your deck", etc.

My only complaint is that it's a little on the easy side so far, but I've only just reached the second world so it has plenty of time to get harder. But yes, I would say Ouendan is more fun for me too... it just depends what kind of stuff you like. Having said that, I didn't like Smash Bros, but I like JSS. This is in no way a slur on the quality of JSS... Ouendan is THAT good!

mutsu

These impressions are doing nothing but making me want this game more and more... which isn't good as I am broke right now!!!

amodf

I can only imagine Ouendan would be so much better because it's the most awesome game ever made ever. And it's totally totally rad.

If you're really thinking of importing anything and don't know that much about Jump, I'd suggest you'd import Ouendan, because it probably isn't coming to the US in any form.

That said, I'm still wondering how JSS actually plays. Does every character only have attack, up+attack, down+attack(throw, I think?), strong attack, special 1 & 2? Does Up+strong attack actually do a different attack?

Also, can you chain a normal attack into a hard attack or special? That makes or breaks an anime/manga-based fighting game!

Jonnyram

amodf said:
That said, I'm still wondering how JSS actually plays. Does every character only have attack, up+attack, down+attack(throw, I think?), strong attack, special 1 & 2? Does Up+strong attack actually do a different attack?
It seems you can do different strong attacks, but I'll have to confirm. It's worth bearing in mind that there is more than one occurence of some of the chars. e.g. you can call Luffy in a couple of different ways, and they both have different special moves.

Also, can you chain a normal attack into a hard attack or special? That makes or breaks an anime/manga-based fighting game!
Yes, chaining is important. You can also parry. Plus your attacks are different if you are airborne and there is a charge attack you can do while running at an opponent.

The game sounds fun, Ouendan looks great too.. thatll be another one I may import later on in the future.. Im really dissapointed in Ouendans sales though, everyone is like "omg omg great game" but why istn it selling like crazy in Japan?

NCSX overnight ships my copy of JSS tommorow !

nubbe

The demo is out!
rock.gif

Mofo

Anyone care to help on the mission objectives on stage 1-7? Been stuck for the last hour.

EDIT: and the fourth mission objective in the One Piece battle stage... AGH!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Rorschach said:
There's a problem with the audio. You can hear that noise in the menu and the opening sequence.
I know. I hope it's just the recording. o_o

GaimeGuy

Smiles and Cries said:
the sound was very bad I can't believe you think thats the game :lol :lol :lol

You never know, my friend. You never know.

tenchir

BigSucka said:

This game plays a lot like SSBM and that's a good thing. The only complaint I have is reaching for the appropiate touchscreen to switch characters and using supporting character. I have to press really fast to avoid being vulnerble and doing that usually ends up with me pressing the screen harder than I should be doing. I am worried that I might break the screen by force if I get too into the game.

You don't need flash cart if you have the right wireless card to play this demo.

WMB.jpg

GaimeGuy

tenchir said:
This game plays a lot like SSBM and that's a good thing. The only complaint I have is reaching for the appropiate touchscreen to switch characters and using supporting character. I have to press really fast to avoid being vulnerble and doing that usually ends up with me pressing the screen harder than I should be doing. I am worried that I might break the screen by force if I get too into the game.

You don't need flash cart if you have the right wireless card to play this demo.

WMB.jpg
HEY I'M IN THE PICTURE!

littlewig

Banned
Since the Jump SuperStar demo is out, does anyone know what the special download prize offer was for Nintendogs? For some reason it was kept as a secret.

Bebpo

Banned
ummm, I just walked into a used game store in Akihabara and they had a sealed copy for 3900yen ^^;;. First time I'd ever seen a game before its release date in Japan. Gonna give it a try in a few mins.

Bebpo

Banned
Wow, the game is much much better than I expected. There's a ton of moves and animation for all the characters in the game. As a reader of a decent number of the manga included this game is awesome and will sell a ton.

Ruzbeh

Banned
Bebpo said:
Wow, the game is much much better than I expected. There's a ton of moves and animation for all the characters in the game. As a reader of a decent number of the manga included this game is awesome and will sell a ton.
:D

I can't wait to kick some ass with Kenshin!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Top Bottom