• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jump Super Stars - The Official Thread

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Bebpo said:
Wow, the game is much much better than I expected. There's a ton of moves and animation for all the characters in the game. As a reader of a decent number of the manga included this game is awesome and will sell a ton.

Yes Yes Yes!!! Bebpo to the rescue, can't wait for my copy to arrive :D :D

Meier

Bebpo said:
Wow, the game is much much better than I expected. There's a ton of moves and animation for all the characters in the game. As a reader of a decent number of the manga included this game is awesome and will sell a ton.

Good news.. definitely hope this comes to America some day. I need a DS, dammit.

Jonnyram

I'm not a reader of Jump, though I like the styles of some of the characters.
What is fun about this game is the crazy special moves. It reminds me a lot of Pocket Fighter in that respect, and there's even a move for Nami where she whips out a scooter and ploughs into everyone in front of her.

Another big plus is the collection aspect. I find it quite addictive playing through the stages until I unlock all the manga panels for that section. I'm up to about 180 manga panels so far - midway through the third world. There is a lot more One Piece, Naruto and Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo than everything else at the moment. I'm guessing Dragonball will be big later too.

As for the stuff that was in V-Jump, with those cards you could trace onto the touch screen - I think they just allow you to open up extra areas at an earlier stage in the game. There was a small Slam Dunk side area I just visited and I got a bunch of Slam Dunk panels from it, but I don't think you can see that until later if you don't have the cards.

mutsu

Well, I am officially sold by this game. Just asked my friend in Hong Kong to get it for me. It's a mere HKD$279!!! Cheap.

HKD$390 if you want to bonus Jump Super Stars booklet though...

neo2046

mutsu said:
Well, I am officially sold by this game. Just asked my friend in Hong Kong to get it for me. It's a mere HKD$279!!! Cheap.

HKD$390 if you want to bonus Jump Super Stars booklet though...
even lower now
the price was around HK$265 (game) and HK$330 to HK$350 (game+book) during the weekend

yes, it is quite boring in the beginning
but now the game gets better and better when I keep on playing :D
people who gets the game really need to try to play with your friends
multi play and sinlge play is just like as in the heaven and hell

Juice

Will someone who

a) Loathes all non-Cowboy Bebop anime

and

b) Thinks Smash Brothers is incredibly overrated

Find nothing to like in this game?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Juice you don't even like Beserk? Samurai X OVA is damn good too man (cant stand the series) give those 2 a try.

Error

Juice said:
Will someone who

a) Loathes all non-Cowboy Bebop anime

and

b) Thinks Smash Brothers is incredibly overrated

Find nothing to like in this game?

JackFrost2012 said:
I played it, it's kind of a spastic Smash Bros. clone, but I guess that's what people want? I was very bored but then I couldn't give two shits about any of the stupid Jump characters, and I also hate Smash Bros. like it killed my father.

So, my impressions are it'll sell a lot of copies to people who aren't me. Down with Jump Super Stars!

I don't think so Juice :(

Juice

Error2k4 said:
I don't think so Juice :(

Oh.

Huh.

*Leaves thread and keeps playing Harvest Moon: Sprite Station, touch screen dictionary in the other hand. Dual-fisted clamshell touch screen systems!*

mutsu

fiddlestick said:
i like anime and i like ssbm but i think jss looks like crap :/

At first I had the same thoughts, but when I saw the game in motion my mind completely changed. The pace of the game is quick and fluid smooth animation. I like!

Kai

Has anyone got their copy yet? Impressions? The post office came by this morning and left a note.... i was not here so I missed the delivery =(.....

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Jonnyram said:
They haven't reviewed it (yet). It might be in this week. Next week is a holiday so I guess this week is the last chance.

What? Isn't it supposed to be released tomorrow?

Jonnyram

There has been a few high profile titles in the past that are reviewed after release date. This gives the reviewers more time to play the game, but I think it's more related to impact than anything else.

mutsu

Jonnyram said:
There has been a few high profile titles in the past that are reviewed after release date. This gives the reviewers more time to play the game, but I think it's more related to impact than anything else.

Think Nintendogs :D

40/40 anyone?

The language barrier looks like it will block me from this one. I don't know anything in Japanese. Except how to count to 10. Even that is not in the regular japanese language.

januswon

Jonnyram said:
They haven't reviewed it (yet). It might be in this week. Next week is a holiday so I guess this week is the last chance.

next week is not a public holiday in japan
we still need to go to the office and work

however many people will take vacation (using paid leave) to get back their home town on around Aug 15th and tidy up their ancestor graveyard

my family members will also get back their home town this weekend as well

Ruzbeh

Banned
Stopsign said:
The language barrier looks like it will block me from this one. I don't know anything in Japanese. Except how to count to 10. Even that is not in the regular japanese language.
I'm hoping a few GAFers that know Japanese are willing to write some sort of howto on JSS. It would be a lot of work I guess but it would help a lot of people.

Jonnyram

januswon said:
next week is not a public holiday in japan
we still need to go to the office and work
In context, I was speaking about Famitsu. They're taking a holiday, while we still have to work :p

CrisKre

Ok I had the game for the whole weekend, dont speak a word of japanese, and am really digging it.

Its true that at first it is kinda strange in the 1 player dept. and the language barrier can be a bit much, but not so averwhelming that you cant figure it out. The ammount of content here is astonishing. It really starts to show into the third world. And once you start to realize certain moves work in acertain way (left, left + y or the jumping attacks) plus you realize the ammount of combos the touch pannel allows, the gameplay really opens up. Im sure multiplayer is a BLAST and cannot wait to try it.

I will focus on trying to get more pannels (the japanese barrier is keeping me from getting a lot of the missions in the levels done). Anyone can help with translations in the first few levels of the game? it would be greatly appreciated. Also, in the pannel editing aspect of the game, I noticed combining a 4 piece panel with a 1 space panel of a certain character lets you unlock such character. Can anyone break down exactly how that works?

Ruzbeh

Banned
Doc Holliday said:
Nintendo, why isnt this game fully wi-fi enabled?!? Damn you!
Who cares!! They will probably make a sequel!! (Nintendo didn't develop this game though). And that sequel will be online. :D But it online would be useless if this game is Japan-only. Nintendo needs to realize that many non-Japanese will blow their loads over this game.

Shao

How about some comparisons with Smash Bros? Can't believe the lack of indepth impressions for this game so far, seems the world is bereft of JSS impressions. Gamefaq, famitsu, ign, all usual ports of call have pretty much nothing substantial on this game.

CrisKre

Ok: some short impressions.

First note: JSS is its own game. It does borrow a lot from SSB but do not expect it to be Smash Bros with anime. That this game is not.

The presentation of the game is impecable. Very well done and fitting. I will commento on the 1 player adventure mode since that is basically what I played, and note that I dont understand a word of japanese.
Visually, this game is really good. Not for technical reasons (as you can tell from screens) but for the ammount and quality of the animations. The number of characters that appear in the game is really inmense (there are lists in some other JSS threads) so it is just incredible that they managed to squeeze as many different and fluid animations as they have in here. The screen can get REALLY busy with all that may be going on also: imagine- 4 characters, summoning supporting characters and doing special attacks. Nice to look at.
The game starts really simple: you can only use naruto and the guy from one piece at first, and start in a continent of the 'jump world'.
You'll encounter stages marked with either M or B on the map.
B, or Battle stages require you simply to defeat the opponents.
M, or Mission, stages require you to fulfil conditions in order to win.

When you see a crown on the marker, it mean you have cleared all
objectives for that location.

The fighting system:
B = Weak Attack
Y = Strong Attack
X = Special Attack A
up + X = Special Attack B
A = Jump
A A = Double Jump
down + A = Get off Platform
down/L/R = Guard
<- <- or -> -> = Dash
<- <- or -> -> + B/Y = Dash Attack
<- + B/Y or -> + B/Y = Side Attack
down + B/Y = Guard Break
down + X = Counter-Attack
up + B/Y = Down Attack

Touch screen:
Use your touch screen for calling in Battle, Support characters, and using
your Help characters.
Koma is the term for the little squares that make up the character
portraits in the bottom screen (Here after refered to as "The Koma Screen").
The Koma Screen is a 4 x 5 grid that can hold up to 20 koma in all.
Depending how many komas a character takes up the special attacks
will change.
1 koma = Help character.
2-3 koma = Support character.
4-6 koma = Battle character.
A Help character gives health, energy, or enhancements to the Battle
Character (ex. Gyorai Girl gives a speed boost to Battle characters)
however the Help character does not appear on the Battle screen.
A Support character comes in for a special attack then leaves, but can be
called in again. Depending on the number of panels the character takes up,
the attack will change (ex. If Rock Lee uses 2 komas he'll use Konoha Senppu,
but if Rock Lee takes up 3 komas he'll use Omote Renge). Also all Support
characters can double as Help characters.
Battle characters are your basic playable character. You have direct control
over this character. Depending on how much koma the character takes up the
special attack will be differant. (ex. Yusuke can use Shotto Gan and
Rei Kou Dan at 4 komas, but he can use Rei Gan and Rei Kou Dan at 5 komas).
Also all Battle characters can double as Support and/or Help characters.
Whenever you clear a stage, you'll be awarded with either a Help Koma, or
a Serif Koma.
Serif Komas are essentially 2 to 6-spaced Komas containing just a silhouette
and a speech bubble. You're supposed to guess which character the Serif Koma
is featuring, and drag the respective Help Koma over onto it.
If you're correct, a new Support or Battle Koma will be unlocked, depending
on the size of the Serif Koma.
There is more to this, like adding a special "Friendship, Effort, Victory" Koma.
This Koma links together two characters and allows them to perform a
tag-team super move. Each end of the Koma must be connected to a Battle character inorder
forit to work. In this way, for example, Naruto and Goku can perform a special attack called Super Rasen-Spirit Bomb!!! and so on :)

Not only that, but characters have different natures: Laughter, Power and Knowledge. Laughter beats Power. Power beats Knowledge. And Knowledge beats Laughter.
Use an attack that is strong against the enemy's inherent nature, and
you deal 1.5 times the damage. Bo-bobo is of Laughter. Luffy is of Power.
And Asakura Yoh is of Knowledge. Special attacks also are of one of this natures.

As you can see, there certainly is enough complexity to the whole battle system.

So, that being explained note: as the game progresses you start uncovering new moves, new characters, new stages, etc. and it just becomes apparent that the ammount of stuff the programmers put in here is mindboggling. It becomes really addictive both, collecting and uncovering things and getting to master the fighting system.
It is clear though that where this game really shines is the multiplayer action. There is sooo much going on, so many variations of attacks u can do and so much content it just HAS to be a blast for 4 players simultaneous. That, plus the fact that you can customize the touch screen to no end to personalize your fighting style just adds to the meat of this title.

I still have WAYS to go as far as unlocking stuff goes, but Ill post impressions as I do.

Wow this game is complex I must say..

Pretty much the game in itself is like super smash bros and it moves really fast.. I expected some hardcore slowdowns with so many characters on the screen. What I really enjoyed though is that there is absolutley NONE. It runs completly smooth and never lets up even with up to like 8 people on the screen at once all doing tag attacks.

It has tons of different combos and effects of what you can do. You pretty much fight on a shonen jump page, the page ends can end up ripping and breaking out thus allowing you to knock other chars off the screen or you can normally KO people. If you do KO people they can get low on Health and thus turn ghostly white to indicate they are about to be KO'd. There are tons of items to interact with. Barrels and Chests with food to restore HP, and power coins to restore like a spirit (to do special moves and koma calls). Sometimes bombs come out and can end up pulling a SSB blow the hell up attack.

There are a few things that are annoying. Its really hard to use the touch screen to do koma attacks.. just feels.. unpleasant.. kinda like using the touch screen really fast in Nanostray, but then I have built a way of doing it.. holding L reaching over and doing it when I am blocking so I take as little dmg during that changeover.

Also there is A TON of japanese text in the game.. You gotta rely on gamefaqs for some of the objectives, other then that the game is insanely fun, and setting up a single player vs COM bots is really really easy..

I reccomend this game to anyone who loves the fast pace action fighting and likes the chars in the game.

Error

:D :D I'm glad this game didn't disappoint. the DS is looking godly right now, with Jump! Superstars and AWDS(US version of course) on august followed by Castlevania DS.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Monk said:
So complex coontrols=not shallow, simple controls=shallow. Got it.
Jump around on platforms with different backdrops. Did any thought go into level design? They all share the same look.

Error

Society said:
Jump around on platforms with different backdrops. Did any thought go into level design? They all share the same look.

that was the only complaint I had about the game, but if the battle system is as deep as the impressions here made it out to be. fuck the stages.

The levels are more different then people say.. Like for instance yu-gi-oh's stage.. god i hate it.. the platforms are annoying and they move all over the place and half the time im in the pit below cause i get knocked down all the time or just fall in haha

Society said:

I would like to see you play against my brother in ssb and then hear you say shallow to describe the game..... :lol

Khalid-S

I got my copy today

btw Jonnyram how can i beat 1-7 in the first world ?? in the faq they said break all the walls, i cant break the top walls.

Jonnyram

Double jump and use the Y button. It should work with all characters, but Luffy does a move that breaks the top wall and the one below it too, so just keep doing that. I'm not sure if increasing the strength helps, but it can't help to try... so equip a help koma that you can use to increase strength. Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo help koma gives you double attack every now and then. Also, if you have it, Usop (from One Piece) help koma increases your movement speed.

Top Bottom