• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jump Super Stars - The Official Thread

Khalid-S

thanks, just cleared the stage WITH using the B,Y,X buttons, lol i thought that i cant clear it if i press the buttons.

Monk

Banned
Society said:
Jump around on platforms with different backdrops. Did any thought go into level design? They all share the same look.

So jumping abound on a flat plane with different looks> Jumping around on platforms with the same look.

Well, I've been playing for about an hour now and I can pretty much agree with everything that's been said here already....

Good lord, this game is pretty awesome. It is just really insane how much stuff there is in the game. The combat is really deep with so many different ways to combine attacks and character combos and such. And there's just SO much to the deck creation. I can see literally hundreds of different deck combinations you could build. There's just so much content and the game feels GIGANTIC. The graphics are great and there's so many animations and it's so fluid.... Damn, I wanna go back and play it now!

I also picked up Ouendan and Fullmetal Alchemist: Dual Symphony today so I'm just having a blast with my DS right now, but Jump Super Stars is A+ material. I can't wait to see what this gets in Famitsu. I predict close to, if not a perfect score.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Ruzbeh said:
I'm hoping a few GAFers that know Japanese are willing to write some sort of howto on JSS. It would be a lot of work I guess but it would help a lot of people.

For a game this big, full translations will definitely be coming. I'm sure you'll see plenty of FAQs showing up at Gamefaqs shortly.

kIdMuScLe

does this game supports multiplayer with 1 disk or all players must have disk for multiplayer? cuz me and my friends wants to get this............. also is www.yesasia.com reliable as they have the cheapest price for the game. and 1 more favor, can anybody list all of the series that appears in the game? thanks..

Jonnyram

kIdMuScLe said:
does this game supports multiplayer with 1 disk or all players must have disk for multiplayer? cuz me and my friends wants to get this.............
Disk? It's on DS. But yeah, it supports download play from a single cart.

The official Nintendo guide booklet comes with two SP chars - Goten from DB and Ichigo from Bleach. I think you can get both of them later in the game though.

mutsu

Jonnyram said:
But yeah, it supports download play from a single cart.

What's the limitation for download play?

kIdMuScLe said:
also is www.yesasia.com reliable as they have the cheapest price for the game

Yeah they are good. I have imported from them many many times.

They don't use to sell their games that cheap... they used to sell like 1.5x more expensive than any other online importers! They have improved much...

So I took my ds to work today (gamestop) during midnight opening for madden and as we waited they pulled out some traded in ds's and we all did single cart multiplayer.. They had a blast.. the game is great.

im really enjoying this purchase alot.

AniHawk

Store near me has it for $55.

I liked SSB, and I know enough of the characters. Worth it? Can I get it cheaper? ANY chance it'll come to the US?

CrisKre

I payed $55. Totally worth it for me. Man, the more I play it and unlock things the more I fall in love with the game. The characters are sooooo cool and the koma system to unlock them is so freacking rewarding! This game is perfect for portable gaming! Way to go nintendo, thats all.

This will sell a gazillion and u deserve it (even if its not like u, emm, NEED more money, hahaha).

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
AniHawk said:
Store near me has it for $55.

I liked SSB, and I know enough of the characters. Worth it? Can I get it cheaper? ANY chance it'll come to the US?
Judging from the impressions, sounds like a resounding YES

Thereis a chance it'll come over, I think. If you want to, wait and see

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
GaimeGuy said:
Judging from the impressions, sounds like a resounding YES

Thereis a chance it'll come over, I think. If you want to, wait and see

Nintendo will release this baby I mean if they don't, that's a pretty retarded move a lot of the characters from the game has either gotten playtime in tv like One Piece Dragon Ball and Kenshin etc... or are in the process of gettin playtime like Naruto and Bobobo. I don't think liscenses will be much of an issue as the game is based around the mangas publications not the anime series they're two different things.

If Nintendo markets this one as a sipiritual succesor to SSB but with anime characters, it'll sell.

Error2k4 said:
Nintendo will release this baby I mean if they don't, that's a pretty retarded move a lot of the characters from the game has either gotten playtime in tv like One Piece Dragon Ball and Kenshin etc... or are in the process of gettin playtime like Naruto and Bobobo. I don't think liscenses will be much of an issue as the game is based around the mangas publications not the anime series they're two different things.

If Nintendo markets this one as a sipiritual succesor to SSB but with anime characters, it'll sell.

ign says its doubtful about 60% of the mangas in this game arent even in the US yet.. so how does that reinforce the "selling of the game." It wont happen.. just give up hope and quit wishing..

Error

PezRadar said:
ign says its doubtful about 60% of the mangas in this game arent even in the US yet.. so how does that reinforce the "selling of the game." It wont happen.. just give up hope and quit wishing..

IGN also said that Halo was going to be a PS2 game. http://ps2.ign.com/articles/134/134552p1.html

anyway I don't give a shit either way, my import is in the way.

Error2k4 said:
IGN also said that Halo was going to be a PS2 game.

anyway I don't give a shit either way, my import is in the way.

You just sounded like one of those kids that say "IT WILL HAPPEN CAUSE I WORK WITH LICENSING AND STUFF ^_^"

when we all know it wont.

Error

PezRadar said:
You just sounded like one of those kids that say "IT WILL HAPPEN CAUSE I WORK WITH LICENSING AND STUFF ^_^"

when we all know it wont.

I haven't say stuff like that, you used IGN as a source when we know whatever IGN says should be taken with a grain of salt.

I said I don't give a crap anyway, I already imported the game.

I didn't know you could actually get Sonen Jump graphic novels/books in US and UK stores. I think viz media or something is the distributor. I saw it in Worlds Apart (Forbidden Planet) today... I have no idea what its like in English though.

I feel like I should maybe look into that before I look into the game.

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
This is a really stupid question.....but does anyone know where I would be able to learn to read/speak japanese? I'm not looking to pay for it, but if there is a program that I can buy, or a book that's really good I would consider paying. As a gamer/manga/anime fan I feel really out of the know because I don't know Japanese. So if there is a website I can go to, or if anyone wants to give me a heads up on a program/book I would much appreciate it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
GMUNYIFan said:
This is a really stupid question.....but does anyone know where I would be able to learn to read/speak japanese? I'm not looking to pay for it, but if there is a program that I can buy, or a book that's really good I would consider paying. As a gamer/manga/anime fan I feel really out of the know because I don't know Japanese. So if there is a website I can go to, or if anyone wants to give me a heads up on a program/book I would much appreciate it.

http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthread.php?t=57700

I use to go to GMU :p

Anyways.. the single card multiplayer only gives u the 3 basic koma combos they first start you off in the game. so its like naruto/luffy/goku/some staff chick/bobobobo-bo and thats about it

Spencerr

Banned
Himuro said:
How exactly do you get these to work? I'm having trouble.

They say you can use various loaders if you don't use a wifi card, but where are they?

This site should help you figure it out:
http://www.jonx.co.uk/dsgames.htm

The WMBFront makes it really easy. You should be able to figure out how to install the driver. You know, (in WinXP) start -> control panel -> system -> device manager, find your pci card, right click it -> update driver, choose to install manually, from disc, find where you downloaded and unzipped the driver to. If it's your main wificard you can easily switch back by going to update driver and having it do it automatically.

To use WMB front just hit browse, load up your demos, I wouldn't recommend doing too many at a time. Turn on your ds, go to download play, hit upload on WMBFront, and they should pop up. Download and play!

Make sure you put WMBFront.exe in the same directory as WMB.exe. All the downloads can be found from the site.

Edit:

Anyway, why I really came back to this thread was to say this game is awesome. I can't even read the langauge it's in, and I think I like it more than full versions of most of the DS games I own. I'd really like this to be localized, nay, I'd love for it to be localized.

One of my primary concerns before playing the demo was visibility, but the visuals are great!

On a semi-unrelated note, I lost all my styluses, and 3 stores I went to were out. Wtf.

Edit 2: oh wait you don't have a wireless card? No idea how to deal with that. Sorry :(

AniHawk

radioheadrule83 said:
I didn't know you could actually get Sonen Jump graphic novels/books in US and UK stores. I think viz media or something is the distributor. I saw it in Worlds Apart (Forbidden Planet) today... I have no idea what its like in English though.

I feel like I should maybe look into that before I look into the game.

I've seen a couple Shonen Jump mags around here in Blockbuster and the like.

Nintendo could call it Yu-Gi-Oh vs. DragonBall Z vs. Naruto and release it in early January.

Spencerr

Banned
AniHawk said:
I've seen a couple Shonen Jump mags around here in Blockbuster and the like.

Nintendo could call it Yu-Gi-Oh vs. DragonBall Z vs. Naruto and release it in early January.

Jump is all over. It's in the grocery store I work at as well as others in the area.

So yay or nay on importing this one? I don't read or understand a friggin' lick of Japanese, but I'm seriously considering importing this guy.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
My copy of JSS just arrived (along with my red DS) and I have to say, the game is a lot of fun. It felt a bit weird at first, mostly because I'm not used to the DS' small buttons, but once I got a hang of it, it was great kicking ass with Luffy & Abobo. Can't wait till I unlock Dio and unleash the power of wryyyyyyyyyyyyy. :lol

Definitely a worthy import for those of you who are Jump or SSB fans.

BDGAME

One question: The character speak the name of his powers, like Luffy saying "Gomu Gomu no Punsh" and Goku saying "kamehame Ha" ?

Mallrat83

Banned
So what's up, is the gameplay deep or shallow? I'm hoping for a cross of Street Fighter Alpha 3 GBA and Super Smash Bros Melee.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Mallrat83 said:
So what's up, is the gameplay deep or shallow? I'm hoping for a cross of Street Fighter Alpha 3 GBA and Super Smash Bros Melee.

yea, I don't care about the mangas....how well does it play? I know people are talking a little about it, but mostly it seems to devolve into fan service impressions.

ikalugar

If someone would be kind enough to tell me how I can clear 1-6 on the first world, I cannot figure out what to do!

Edit: Just so you know i am stuck on the second part of this mission.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
BDGAME said:
One question: The character speak the name of his powers, like Luffy saying "Gomu Gomu no Punsh" and Goku saying "kamehame Ha" ?
In word bubbles. No voice acting. This is a game based on manga, not anime, after all. :)

I finally got my copy today. Thank god it doesn't suck. :D

blackadde

So, um, without knowing how to read japanese is there any way to actually know which komas to match up? 'Cause this "click together and hope for the best" stuff is getting annoying.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Musashi Wins! said:
yea, I don't care about the mangas....how well does it play? I know people are talking a little about it, but mostly it seems to devolve into fan service impressions.
It plays a lot better than I expected. Think Smash Bros. but with a wider variety of attacks and techniques for each character. Add in support characters you can summon in to kick some ass on their own while you keep fighting and a wide range of power-ups and status effects from help characters and items gotten from boxes and the like on the stage, not to mention the massive character roster, and it's surprisingly deep and versatile for a melee rumble type game.

The manga deck and the way you unlock and use koma also makes the game extremely customizable to fit your style of play. You can load up the deck with battle characters and offensive supports and helpers for all out offensive, or you can opt to use one or two battle characters and use the rest of your deck to have a wide range of stat boosters and healers at your beck and call.

Ultimately, I'd say it's deeper than your standard Smash Bros. type game, both in terms of its combat and its sheer wealth of content, but it's not like it has a fighting engine as deep as any Street Fighter game or anything like that.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I was just talking about this game with a friend of mine. He got it yesterday and LOVES it. The urge to import the game and a DS is killing me right now. :) But I want to wait until I'm in Japan next week to buy a DS and the game; I can save about $60 (mainly due to the price of overnight shipping and the mark up on the DS [I want a white DS] and the game) that way...

...still, it would be fun for the plane ride. ARGH

negitoro7

I apologize in advance if this has been mentioned already (haven't read the thread), but is it true there's no voice sound effects in this game?

edit: Sorry, I found out the answer on the previous page.

Top Bottom