• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 3 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Season 1 of Justified starts out VERY slow, but then escalates to an incredible show.

I would never ask the show to go back to its one-and-done format, but man did I love the Dentist episode. Sometimes I wish they'd do another one like that.

And as always, Ava going from being Raylan's main squeeze to a proprietor of whores running with/sometimes usurping Boyd will always be one of the biggest question marks for me. Why is she doing this? Where did that switch happen? I liked Ava enough with Raylan. I like her more as the Harlan Madam. But, WHY? That felt like "well, this isn't working, let's move her over here!" without any real transformation in her beliefs or worldview.

Here's my take on it:

Ava spent her life being attracted to bad boys, which always got her into trouble. Eventually Raylan shows up, the knight in shining armor... but he breaks her heart, and in a way hurts her more than her physically abusive ex ever did. She realizes that she'll never have the life she thought she deserved and decides to go all in with Boyd, the morally ambiguous man who treats her better than any good or bad boy ever did.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Season 1 of Justified starts out VERY slow, but then escalates to an incredible show.

Season 2 is beautiful.

Season 3 is just Red Neck Rat Race. It had its moments, but was disappointing.

And as always, Ava going from being Raylan's main squeeze to a proprietor of whores running with/sometimes usurping Boyd will always be one of the biggest question marks for me. Why is she doing this? Where did that switch happen? I liked Ava enough with Raylan. I like her more as the Harlan Madam. But, WHY? That felt like "well, this isn't working, let's move her over here!" without any real transformation in her beliefs or worldview.

She was already married to a scumbucket and chances are she grew surrounded by them. At some point she said "fuck it, I'll do what I want and take what is mine".

Edit: Plus, what xtrasauce said.

ivysaur12

Banned
I would never ask the show to go back to its one-and-done format, but man did I love the Dentist episode. Sometimes I wish they'd do another one like that.

Here's my take on it:

Ava spent her life being attracted to bad boys, which always got her into trouble. Eventually Raylan shows up, the knight in shining armor... but he breaks her heart, and in a way hurts her more than her physically abusive ex ever did. She realizes that she'll never have the life she thought she deserved and decides to go all in with Boyd, the morally ambiguous man who treats her better than any good or bad boy ever did.

I think it's definitely possible to provide an explanation, but I don't think there's been an adequate enough one on screen to convince me of her motivations. What you said definitely sounds plausible, but that's filling in a very large gap that the show should fill in, not the audience. I hope that's something they address this season, otherwise it'll continue to nag me.

Frost_Ace

I started watching the first season recently, and the show it's pretty fun to watch but honestly I was especting it to be better, I heard that season 2 is the best one, right?

I started watching the first season recently, and the show it's pretty fun to watch but honestly I was especting it to be better, I heard that season 2 is the best one, right?

How far into the first season are you? The first half is pretty slow then it pretty much drops the one off episodes and gets a lot better. Second and third season are great.

Karak

I love the idea of Sheriff Bob and Raylen walking into a room and hearing Boyd say his atypical full title hello. "Well if it isn't Deputy Marshell Raylen Givens and Sheriff...Bob."

Omega

Banned
Does anyone know if they do re-runs on FX before the new season starts?

Almost every other FX show has them for people to catch up on episodes they missed. I know Sons of Anarchy, Archer, The League, American Horror Story had them.

Fry

yLv5g.gif

Almost every other FX show has them for people to catch up on episodes they missed. I know Sons of Anarchy, Archer, The League, American Horror Story had them.

I saw a season 1 episode on a few weeks back, not sure what the schedule was on them though. Looks like they're reairing the first episode of season 3 on 12/12 at 2 am or something

How do I 'LIKE' a GAF post
Try the GAF mobile app:

iKMH5UXNMr1Ka.gif

I'd be surprised if they didn't rerun S3 before the S4 premiere, but I don't know if they'll re-air all of S1-S3 since that would be 39 episodes. It's possible.

A season 4 commercial aired during It's Always Sunny tonight.

Raylan's bartender girlfriend is in it, Boyd is sermonizing at an outdoor meeting, snake wrangling, Ava has a voice over during the commercial,and we see the
hill people
that are supposedly a focus of season 4.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine

Raylan's bartender girlfriend is in it, Boyd is sermonizing at an outdoor meeting, snake wrangling, Ava has a voice over during the commercial,and we see the
hill people

I'm so behind on all my TV shows at the moment. Usually on point with Sunny, but have missed the last couple weeks. Would've loved to see the S4 teaser.

Anyway, can't wait for the new season ;)

hill people

Odd time to first air it. You'd think they would have shown it during SOA.

Now I have to remember to watch Sunny right when I get home.

I hope that changes this season.
Every season Yost claims that they're going to be more involved, but it hasn't really happened yet. At least they get some screen time, but a lot of the focus usually ends up on the villains (Mags & family, Quarles, etc...)
For Fuck's sake, Patton Oswalt is in this, too?

How is it that somebody so untalented manages to weasel his way into so many shows?
I've enjoyed some of his work recently (Young Adult, Dollhouse), so I don't have a problem with it. He's doing guest stints on a lot of shows in the near future, so I can see overexposure becoming an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom