• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katsuhiro Harada missing? | Upd: Healthy and safe!

When I talked to him at Gamescom last year it was the second year in a row he was showing off the same game (Tag Tournament 2), so instead of just showing the gameplay again he spent most of the time talking about how you can swap out the music in the game and replace it with the Street Fighter music
KuGsj.gif

All while the game's sound designer Kanako Kakino was sitting right next to us. She didn't look all that pleased.

Sayah

He's spent over 20 years one the same series, he's taken Tekken from amazing to crap and he has a lot of responsibility on his shoulders. You never know whats happened in his personal life either, I mean would you marry a man who's away from his family 50 weeks of the year?

I feel bad for him but he needs time off. I hope he turns up safe.

TTT2 is far far better than any previous Tekken entry. It's the most balanced and most content heavy Tekken game released yet. And the hardcore fans, in the majority, think the same thing. So how exactly did the series turn from amazing to crap?

When I talked to him at Gamescom last year it was the second year in a row he was showing off the same game (Tag Tournament 2), so instead of just showing the gameplay again he spent most of the time talking about how you can swap out the music in the game and replace it with the Street Fighter music
KuGsj.gif

All while the game's sound designer Kanako Kakino was sitting right next to us. She didn't look all that pleased.

Tekken Tunes can switch into any MP3 file which is a feature that should become standard for all fighters.

Sayah

Okay perhaps I was a little too harsh in that comment.

But, myself and my social circle would disagree. Tekken 1, 2 and 3 were ace games. Tekken 4 wasn't quite as good and Tekken Tag was marmite, either love or hate it. Tekken 5 was ace, Dark Resurrection was a good expansion but then Tekken 6 just saw the whole thing ruined for me. The story was really bad, so were the individual character stories and endings. I mean Lars, another Mishima and Kazuya's brother, jesus christ that was ridiculous.

The game was essentially a juggle fest being get them into the air and juggle to death. The new characters in Tekken 6 were poor to say the least and the whole DragonBall Z style ruined the image of Tekken for me. Blood Vengence was a stereotypical chick flick and while it was nice to see all the action, I don't like how it's getting further and further into a DragonBall fashion.

Tag Tournament 2 was nice but the disappointment of Tekken 6 left a bitter taste in my mouth. Maybe it wasn't the series turning crap but it's like when you get a bad batch of something you love like super noodles. Any you eat in the future inevitably remind you of the bad one.

If story is your primary concern, then yes T6 was bad and TTT2 doesn't really even have one outside of Fight Lab and character endings (but it is a non-canonical game so that's expected).

What I don't understand is why you think it's turning into Dragon Ball Z. The gameplay and balance in T6 and TTT2 is far better than T5 or T4 or T3. Juggling also caused crazy damage in previous iterations. People just weren't exposed to it as much because the older games didn't have online like T6 and TTT2 do. Now you face a lot of diverse competition thanks to online and see a lot of different stufs. A lot of people don't like losing and a lot of them that thought they were hot shit back then (including myself at one point) know that they are nothing in comparison to a lot of other players after having played online. This is all true to an extent.

TTT2 is far far better than any previous Tekken entry. It's the most balanced and most content heavy Tekken game released yet. And the hardcore fans, in the majority, think the same thing. So how exactly did the series turn from amazing to crap?

Tekken Tunes can switch into any MP3 file which is a feature that should become standard for all fighters.

Because they have nostalgia of Tekken 3 and think it is something it isn't.

Okay perhaps I was a little too harsh in that comment.

But, myself and my social circle would disagree. Tekken 1, 2 and 3 were ace games. Tekken 4 wasn't quite as good and Tekken Tag was marmite, either love or hate it. Tekken 5 was ace, Dark Resurrection was a good expansion but then Tekken 6 just saw the whole thing ruined for me. The story was really bad, so were the individual character stories and endings. I mean Lars, another Mishima and Kazuya's brother, jesus christ that was ridiculous.

The game was essentially a juggle fest being get them into the air and juggle to death. The new characters in Tekken 6 were poor to say the least and the whole DragonBall Z style ruined the image of Tekken for me. Blood Vengence was a stereotypical chick flick and while it was nice to see all the action, I don't like how it's getting further and further into a DragonBall fashion.

Tag Tournament 2 was nice but the disappointment of Tekken 6 left a bitter taste in my mouth. Maybe it wasn't the series turning crap but it's like when you get a bad batch of something you love like super noodles. Any you eat in the future inevitably remind you of the bad one.

The story? Really? Who cares about the story in a fighting game, its about the gameplay. The only people I know that complain about the story in a fighting game are people that suck at the game, and they're looking to devalue the content of the game because they lack the skill, understanding, patience, and mental fortitude to play a game like Tekken. Besides, the story in the tekken series has always been ridiculous. Angels and Devils. Fighting animals. Kids being thrown in volcanoes. Alien ninjas. Half man half robot guy. Jackie Fucken Chan! Yeah, its ridiculous. We already knew that..

The juggle system? Tekken's juggle system isn't as simple as SF4 or 3s. You have to manually input every single movement and hit, on most occasions. But Capcom games....low short super? Really? That is 1 button input to two qcf+button motion. Some super combos are like fucken 20 something hits! And your complaining about juggles? Marvel has like 150 combos with 3 supers. The execution is fucking mind numbingly simple! Sfxt... need I say more?

Why are you even talking about the movie? WTF does that have to do with the game?

Dragon BallZ? This isn't a fashion show. Why are you judging their clothes and hair? Every Fighting game has some ridiculous character designs.

Don't get me wrong. I love UMV3, SFxT and 3s. I enjoy these games immensely, even though I completely suck at Marvel.

But yeah, you're wrong.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rkmc25

Oh man, this has turned into news?
I'm not missing!
I just finished up the master version, and I had a cold and a fever so I was home drinking tequila and getting some work done. Ono got a new car late last month so I took it for a test drive, and cleared some games I had piled up (Crysis 3, Bioshock, Metro) so I ignored calls from the office. I was busy. Then Grid 2 came out while work was piling up, people were treating me like I was missing or something. I'm fine, and back to work and...

The tweet in Japanese said he was going to E3 I think.

Edit: Ah he tweeted it in English.

https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/342679249792167936

r8Qsq

Sgblues

He should have taken videos of him doing sick burnouts and drag racing through Tokyo in Ono's car(which for some reason I picture it being painted green and orange)

But I'm glad he's ok.

braves01

Banned
Haha, he gets "sick" so he stays home and drinks tequila while working down his backlog? Get this man a gaf account.

sleepykyo

I just finished up the master version, and I had a cold and a fever so I was home drinking tequila and getting some work done. Ono got a new car late last month so I took it for a test drive, and cleared some games I had piled up (Crysis 3, Bioshock, Metro) so I ignored calls from the office. I was busy.

For some reason, I find this amazingly funny.

So the people who work with him enough to have access to his twitter account, upon finding out he hadn't come to work in a few days, didn't think to check his house?

They're never going to make it to chief of police like that.

my opponent got me with a pop-up and into the air half way through one of Brian's kicks (fwd, fwd, X) and then juggled until whoever I was playing got a perfect. Seriously, I stopped bothering. Another one that pissed me off was against Hworang, popped up, juggled into a wall and then through the floor of the stage and to a perfect K.O. seriously, there's no recovery from that. I did appreciate the fact it was toned down a bit for Tekken Tag 2.

I got Tekken for my PlayStation 1 in 1996 as a Christmas present and I read the manual, got to know the characters and enjoyed the franchise.

Yeah about as stupid as the many juggle perfects I've lost too.

You're very emotional about the story in a game that has pretty much become an over the top joke of itself, in a good way. This seems to have gone completely over your head while you cling to these "christmas 1996" memories of what you thought Tekken was "all about".

There are certain FGs that I'm not interested in enough to get really good at. BlazBlue is something I bought and played a few times for the story, but that's it. I don't complain about perfects and getting run into the ground when I obviously suck at the game.

You are the only one who sounds mad, as well as bad.

Tekken 1: Kazuya
Tekken 2: Heihachi
Tekken 3: Jin (Technically Paul defeated Ogre's first form, Jin finished off True Ogre.)
Tekken 4: Heihachi
Tekken 5: Jin
Tekken 6: Jin

Had to fix that since Heihachi actually won the 4th one. (I'm trying remember whos story mode they clarified that in [wasn't Heihachi's, Kazuya's or Jins])

But I do remember hearing about Kazuya being frustrated that he can't seem to defeat Heihachi after the 1st tournament.

What kind of agreement does Harada have with Namco that he can just not show up to the office and ignore phone calls for a week at a time? Dude is like a rock star. hahaha

GrayFoxPL

Had to fix that since Heihachi actually won the 4th one. (I'm trying remember whos story mode they clarified that in [wasn't Heihachi's, Kazuya's or Jins])

But I do remember hearing about Kazuya being frustrated that he can't seem to defeat Heihachi after the 1st tournament.

Jin beat both Kazuya and Heihachi in T4, but he didn't stay(as official winner). T5 intro starts where T4 Jin ending left off with broken roof and Jin feathers floating after he flew away.

Manbig

I didn't really think so myself, my personal experience with the online was jugglers and button bashers, I like to string a good combo myself. I remember a particular fight online against Nina Williams, my opponent got me with a pop-up and into the air half way through one of Brian's kicks (fwd, fwd, X) and then juggled until whoever I was playing got a perfect. Seriously, I stopped bothering. Another one that pissed me off was against Hworang, popped up, juggled into a wall and then through the floor of the stage and to a perfect K.O. seriously, there's no recovery from that. I did appreciate the fact it was toned down a bit for Tekken Tag 2.

Outside of some incredibly specific situations that usually have rage involved (which you only get when you were near death in Tekken 6), there were not really any full life juggles. You probably fell for a combo reset or just didn't know hot to tech off the floor to escape damage. This is why people get so defensive about their fighting games when people at a low skill level judge the gameplay. They lack the context to really know what is going on in the game when they are playing/watching it. Not trying to really get at you about this, just trying to explain why people get so defensive when this sort of thing is said.

Also, I liked Tekken 4's story... :(

Skilletor

Shitting on people that play Tekken for the story is shitting on the casuals who are the majority of the people buying the game.

I couldn't care less about the story, but it has one. Somebody must, else they'd do away with it. It's there for those people, and if that's what they care about, let them. They help me, a competitive player, assure I'll get a sequel.

JordanN

Banned
Ono got a new car late last month so I took it for a test drive, and cleared some games I had piled up (Crysis 3, Bioshock, Metro) so I ignored calls from the office.
Putting the games first. A true developer.
h2VC39B.gif

Top Bottom