• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keighley: Epic says UE4 not targeted at Wii U on GTTV, Epic responds [Updated Again]

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Crazy thread! This isn't new news guys. When I interviewed Mike Capps at GDC for GTTV, I asked him on camera about whether UE4 was targeted for Wii-U, and he said that no, UE3 is more in line with Wii-U(or something like that). That's all I was referencing in the @ reply.

OMG!!!!!!

Ardenyal

"Targeted" and "able to run on" are two different things.

Certainly Wii U isn't going to be the optimal platform for UE4 but that doesn't mean they can't get a version of it running on the console.

The more devs have to put work into a port the less likely it is that they will port for that platform. See Wii for reference; there wasn't anything stopping devs from downgrading everything to get a game running on Wii but how many did the leg work there?

mdtauk

UE3 is provided with Dev Kits (presumably) without additional charge to make it easier and cheaper for Devs to get stuck in, or port assets over.

UE4 is still in development, for unannounced platforms. Now even if UE4 does eventually become compatible or optimised for the Wii U's hardware. Nintendo need not license it on behalf of the developers.

Which means it is down to Epic to make it compatible, and it is down to devs to purchase a license for it.

And because middleware devs seem to have learned, Epic and Crytek are doing all in their power to ease development with their tools, keeping development costs down.

As Carmack said a while back, in the future they'll basically put as much effort into optimising their asset production and pipelines as they put into the games itself.

No choice but to wait for announcements so developers can finally comment about the new development processes then.
I’m pretty confident that optimalisation of the development proces can decrease cost by a thirth.
I don’t know if the gamesindustry has specific guidelines but untill the previous generation, lot’s of devs probably had too much luxury doing things their way causing third party bankruptcies and first party GT5’s and last guardian’s.
Somebody buy these guys a book about kaizen and lean management. :p

Crazy thread! This isn't new news guys. When I interviewed Mike Capps at GDC for GTTV, I asked him on camera about whether UE4 was targeted for Wii-U, and he said that no, UE3 is more in line with Wii-U(or something like that). That's all I was referencing in the @ reply.

Wasn't he under NDA ?

beje

Banned
The more devs have to put work into a port the less likely it is that they will port for that platform. See Wii for reference; there wasn't anything stopping devs from downgrading everything to get a game running on Wii but how many did the leg work there?

As explained a dozen of times already, there is the difference between porting the whole game down to a different engine with most different assets and different everything (which is what happened with the Wii) and just setting "sliders" from "very high" to "medium" (which is what would happen if they finally port UE4 to WiiU, even if it's with some compromises). For example, if you take Resident Evil 5 PC and set every setting to the lowest setting, it would look even worse than the average A title on Wii but they didn't port the game because even if it was technically feasible, they would had to build everything mostly from scratch.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Interesting updates.

This goes well with that.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...-says-it-has-not-declared-its-wii-u-strategy/

So, not really a confirmation and not a denial either. I'm guessing Epic is trying to wash its hands from all this somehow?

In Geoff saying that, does this still mean Wii U can't run UE4? As someone above me has said, "targeted" and "can't" are two very different things.

When you think about it, Capps saying Wii U is more in line with UE3, makes me think UE4 isn't suited to it at all.

Unless Nintendo announces a few games that run on the tech, people will believe Wii U can't run UE4.

mdtauk

As explained a dozen of times already, there is the difference between porting the whole game down to a different engine with most different assets and different everything (which is what happened with the Wii) and just setting "sliders" from "very high" to "medium" (which is what would happen if they finally port UE4 to WiiU, even if it's with some compromises). For example, if you take Resident Evil 5 PC and set every setting to the lowest setting, it would look even worse than the average A title on Wii but they didn't port the game because even if it was technically feasible, they would had to build everything mostly from scratch.

The Wii's "perceived" audience, and the vastly different control scheme I think had more to do with the lack of support, as well as the successful Nintendo made titles, which would put others to shame - erm, I mean... would make it more difficult to market third-party titles and give them breathing room.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This is just so crazy. I understand why UE4 is important, eventually, but we are talking about an engine that is realistically 2 years away from really having any prominence.

mclem

It's at times like this that I think it's worth breaking out the Doom 3 on Voodoo 2 screenshots!

Edit: Actually, can someone *do* that with RE5 PC or a similar title?

Eusis

UE4 on 720, PC, Orbis

Why make a big secret out of it
If anything more recent news seems to giving serious hope that UE4 will be at least Wii U compatible. Plus for all we know the next systems from Microsoft/Sony only outpace the Wii U as much as the GC and Xbox did over the PS2: definitely better at graphics, but not by so much as to be shafted on games at all.

Nibel

Geoffington, I just hope that strong-fist Reggie will not tear you apart in your planned interview because of that tweet :/

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So, after Geoff's post, this means just that Wii U isn't the target for UE4, not that it can't run on it, right?

Eusis

So, after Geoff's post, this means just that Wii U isn't the target for UE4, not that it can't run on it, right?
That target's likely the consoles they WANT developed, whether or not they are, so yes, it's back to not being ruled out entirely.

Pretty much. Like I said, Epic don't target Nintendo because they can't know them. Epic is probably still figuring out whether or not UE4 has a chance at all of running on Wii U or not.

But you're better off predicting it won't, if anything.

Mr Swine

Banned
So if UE4.0 is not coming for Wii U, why not say it now instead of letting this getting out of hand and eating people disappointed? :/

joshwaan

Hey Geoff

Thanks for clearing that up, also love ya work on GTTV mate :)

Bring on E3 :)

Eusis

thk god noone cares about graphics....

/s
I care more about the Wii U not being abandoned by third parties like last generation.

Though, I was personally hoping the vast gulf plus controller would encourage more original development, rather than the port situation reaching the boiling point where basically every worthwhile third party game was for both PS3 and 360. Unless it were Japanese, then it MIGHT be exclusive. Actually, we did get some original stuff on the Wii, but it was either weak or a rail shooter.

Fredrik

Hmm...
The Epic update about UE4 only being announced for PC so far pretty much says...
"Yes, UE4 will run on WiiU too, but because of NDA's we can't talk about it, yet"
Doesnt't it? Or am I too optimistic now?

Hmm...
The Epic update about UE4 only being announced for PC so far pretty much says...
"Yes, UE4 will run on WiiU too, but because of NDA's we can't talk about it, yet"
Doesnt't it? Or am I too optimistic now?

You're too optimistic.

It might and it might not, but best not to get your hopes up.

Eusis

And nothing's going to be fully clear until games are out and hard specs are revealed. Wii U could be the Wii all over again, a stop gap console like the Dreamcast, or it could be more like the PS2 in that it's weaker, but not by enough to be rationally excluded most of the time. I don't think we'll really know for a few years yet.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Thanks for the update.

beje

Banned
Given that Nintendo is aware they need as much Middleware as possible up and running if they want to recover the core/enthusiast market, I would be extremely surprised if finally UE4 is not ported one way or another, especially with such a standard architecture (and the supposed scalability, as stated above). Not having my hopes up (in fact, I don't give a fuck about western development on consoles, I have a capable PC for that though I wouldn't mind buying stuff on WiiU instead of PC if it offers something different) but just offering some common sense insight.

This is the most likely explanation; I can't imagine that Epic is too happy with such a declaration, even if it is most likely true.

even when the WiiU is known to be a weaker hardware than the upcoming consoles you don't toot scalability and then snub the New Hot toy for the holiday... its just not good PR. I don't think they are really enjoying being put in this position

it means we dunno.

It just means that special guy has no billy goats gruff to eat. That guy is fiendin for gruffs.

Seriously though even if WiiU got UE4 we will have the same people who are saying it is a failure now saying something else they see the console continue to being a failure in their eyes regardless of any positive news or contradiction to their beliefs.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
But why else would they come out and say that nothing besides PC has been confirmed yet?

Because they want to keep their official confirmation for E3(or even later if its still unsure)? Even if it only means the next-gen consoles from Sony & Microsoft gets it.

I think it really depends on just how much collaboration occurred between sony/MS and Epic.

It's possible that they made modifications or considerations in their platform architecture to better support UE4 and thus Epic will probably not have UE4 ready for other platforms, specifically the Wii-U on launch.

At it's heart, UE is a multiplatform multi-purpose engine. UE3 ran on an iPad, it would be ludicrous to think that UE4 wouldn't in at least some form run on the WiiU. It's obvious the Wii-U is going to be vastly outclassed by those consoles in terms of tech, but I don't think we'll see a a wii->PS3/360 sized gap simply because that would result in the ps3/360 costing far too much money.

I think there might be some truth to it, but only initially.

If the PS4/360-next are really that much more powerful than the Wii-U, get ready to drop 599 USD again.

Top Bottom