• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kendrick Lamar's "DAMN." Album sells 610k 1st week

Status
Not open for further replies.
DAMN

His best week ever

http://m.hitsdailydouble.com/sales_plus_streaming

Kendrick Lamar’s DAMN. (TDE/Aftermath/Interscope) has officially scored the year’s biggest debut, landing on the Sales Plus Streaming (SPS) Chart with a massive 610k. He bests Drake’s More Life (YMCMB/Republic), which—with 505k—held the record for biggest SPS bow until now. But Lamar also breaks Ed Sheeran’s record for the best-selling first week of the year; Divide (Atlantic) opened with 350k in album sales and DAMN. has done so with around 362k.

In the age of streaming, it’s interesting that DAMN.’s debut, which also racks up over 300m streams, will be made up of over 60% in sales (fans were snapping up CDs for signing at the pop-up in-store at a Compton Best Buy on 4/20). Sheeran’s sales to streams ratio was even higher, at over 70%.

Speaking of higher, we haven’t been able to walk in a straight line since Wednesday.

By the way, for those of you keeping close score, Drake is still the streaming-only champ. More Life pulled in 385m streams, marking the first time that tracks from an album have been streamed over 300m times in one week.

Columbia’s John Mayer easily earns the second-biggest bow of the week, opening with 138k for The Search for Everything (a title we could particularly relate to on 4/20 as we searched for everything edible in the building).

FYI: Drake and Sheeran have the #3 and #4 spots, respectively, as More Life tacks on an additional 87k in its fifth week out and Divide nabs 64k in its seventh.

Interscope newcomer Playboi Carti has the only other debut in the Top 15; his eponymous set is #12 with 28k. Atlantic’s Fate of the Furious soundtrack debuts just outside the Top 15 with 23k at #16, while Lamar’s acclaimed Good Kid, M.A.A.D City (released in 2012) re-enters at #28 with 14k.

phanphare

Banned
giphy.gif

Dali

Loved humble and dna was pretty decent too. The humble video was on some crazy tarsem Singh shit. It was excellent.

Is the rest of the album as good as the singles?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Completely deserved.

GKMC and TPAB solidified this dude as one of hip-hop's best. He belongs up there next to Tupac, Biggie, Nas, Jay-Z and all the other heavy weights. And if you have any doubt, just listen to any of his past few albums.

Loved humble and dna was pretty decent too. The humble video was on some crazy tarsem Singh shit. It was excellent.

A lot of us think so, yes.

It's interesting in that it really does get better and better with each spin. We continue to see peak Kendrick.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry

In my opinion yes, but the album has a variety of sounds. I'd say to listen to it for the sake of hearing the whole thing and not just another few cool tracks. Duckworth will probably blow you away though, but you gotta hear the whole album for the impact.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Also, I don't remember TPAB doing that well opening week. I guess that album had some legs though, because it seems like a lot of people came around to it.

Coreda

In my opinion yes, but the album has a variety of sounds. I'd say to listen to it for the sake of hearing the whole thing and not just another few cool tracks. Duckworth will probably blow you away though, but you gotta hear the whole album for the impact.

Honestly the singles didn't do much for me but after catching the second half of the record in full on the radio, starting from Lust it was wonderful.

That's fantastic, I'm really happy for Kendrick!

It's incredible to see him grow and become so successful, I've been listening to him since Section 80 dropped!

EDIT: Actually, I think it was the same year or a year after, It's been sooo long I can't even remember.

Bgamer90

Banned
Solid album but I felt the production was a bit off for some of the tracks. I need to listen to it a few more times though. Have only done so twice.

DAMN is a polarizing album for me because I think it is Kendrick's best written work, yet TAPB is still in my opinion the best album.

Still, DAMN is one fine listen, and again the best work he's put into lyrics. It's gonna take me months once again just like it did with TPAB to actually understand the meaning behind each line.

PS: Stoked for the autographed copy of the album that I ordered from his website 2 days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom