• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kendrick Lamar's "DAMN." Album sells 610k 1st week

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsetrez

Remember when Drake said that Kendrick wouldn't be where he is if he didn't hop on Poetic Justice

Good times.
Did he really? That's fucking disgusting. Man Drake is the fakest dude in the business.

Anyway, well deserved for Kendrick. He's getting really close for me to being the GOAT. If he puts out one more masterpiece I think he will have both the highest highs and a deep enough discography.

Did he really? That's fucking disgusting. Man Drake is the fakest dude in the business.

Anyway, well deserved for Kendrick. He's getting really close for me to being the GOAT. If he puts out one more masterpiece I think he will have both the highest highs and a deep enough discography.
No he didn't, Drake's pretty much mainly had praise for Kendrick.

EVOL 100%

I just recently got into hip hop (starting with Danny Brown's Atrocity Exhibition) and this is well deserved. So fucking good

jxN3

Got it digital, but I'm going to pick up the vinyl too.

Kendrick finally getting numbers he deserves. Damn is easily his most accessible from a production stand point, but it's also his most layered in terms of writing, imo. He has the ability to tell seriously engaging stories, but keeps enough vague and layered to keep you coming back -- questioning his ideals, and most of the time, he lets you find the answer that most resonates to you.

I fell off hip hop for a long time, but somebody told me to just give this Kendrick Lamar dude a try -- "just give good kid mad city a listen from start to finish".

I need a new Isiah Rashad album now.

burgervan

Backseat Freestyle is the throwaway track

And Drake's verse on Poetic Justice was more memorable than Kendrick's

boF61Rj.gif

Despera

Banned
Currently listening to Lust. Track is therapeutic for me.

As for where this album ranks that will require sometime to determine. But dude definitely deserves all the sales.

This is one of the best albums to ever be created in HipHop and it always intrigues me to say it because I never expect classic records to be made in todays music industry climate.

But Kendrick is the truth. He has a clear concept, message and image. Its been consistent from the beginning. And he actually has a motive to bring up the rap game and help realize how they have their hands on the culture and how powerful that is.

Id call him a figurehead of our community for the modern era.

Drake is just a sing song motherfucka

This post is correct.

No, this post is not correct. How is Backseat Freestyle a throwaway track? It is one of the hardest hitting songs on the album, demonstrates Kendrick's impeccable delivery, and is a perfect addition to the track listing when considering the concept of the album.

This is one of the best albums to ever be created in HipHop and it always intrigues me to say it because I never expect classic records to be made in todays music industry climate.

But Kendrick is the truth. He has a clear concept, message and image. Its been consistent from the beginning. And he actually has a motive to bring up the rap game and help realize how they have their hands on the culture and how powerful that is.

Id call him a figurehead of our community for the modern era.

Drake is just a sing song motherfucka

Okay, c'mon now, let's not exaggerate. I love Kendrick as much as the next person, and as a matter of fact I would agree that his discography contains one or two of the best hip-hop albums ever created (TPAB being a certainty) - but no, DAMN is not one of the "best hip-hop albums ever."

Personally, within the last365 days, I wouldn't even say that this is the best hip-hop album. I would give that to a Tribe Called Quest's new album or even Danny Brown. That's just me. Heck, I thought U.U. was better than this. Great album, yes, but very visible flaws and weak tracks (I just don't like "Love"). And that's why I wouldn't say it's one of the all time bests.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I know I should respect opinions but I just don't understand how anyone could actually think this.
it is overproduced, feature heavy and unfocused

but my favorite albums are 808s & yeezus so i understand i am in the minority here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom