• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter for Project Tingler (Chuck Tingle / Zoe Quinn's FMV Dating Game) Launched

Why is it okay to sexualize men for a video game and not women? Is it because this is aimed at a built in gay audience and sexualizing men and women is ok in that community?

Because our industry is not rife with sexualization of men, gay or straight; plus, it's done pretty tongue-in-cheek, which usually sees games with sexualization of women getting more of a free pass than a game that unironically gets stupid with the sexualization. Think of it as the difference between Hatred and Party Hard.

Because our industry is not rife with sexualization of men, gay or straight; plus, it's done pretty tongue-in-cheek, which usually sees games with sexualization of women getting more of a free pass than a game that unironically gets stupid with the sexualization. Think of it as the difference between Hatred and Party Hard.

That's interesting. Are you suggesting that the only reason it is not okay for women is because it is more prevalent? So is it not wrong for men because it is rare? If it it was rare for women then it wouldnt be wrong? I am playing devil's advocate. I do not see any issue with the project whatsoever. I am trying to understand why sexualization is ok for some and not others in a time when everything sexual with women is viewed with a Social Justice colored lens. Tongue in cheek or not.

That's interesting. Are you suggesting that the only reason it is not okay for women is because it is more prevalent? So is it not wrong for men because it is rare? If it it was rare for women then it wouldnt be wrong? I am playing devil's advocate. I do not see any issue with the project whatsoever. I am trying to understand why sexualization is ok for some and not others in a time when everything sexual with women is viewed with a Social Justice colored lens. Tongue in cheek or not.

Sexuality is not inherently bad, it's just how its used. Look at games like Mass Effect or Dragon Age - those games contain sexuality for both genders but they're done (relatively) maturely. This is in an industry where "putting sexuality in a game" usually means having a bunch of women with huge breasts coming out of their small shirts or barely useful space armor. Or look at something like Cibele, which is self expression of sexuality in the context of meeting someone in an MMO. That's a pretty far cry from games where the girls are there just to be fan service, or just to be sexy.

That being said, this is just my interpretation. Not every critic of sexuality in games will think the same way I do. "Social Justice lenses," as you call them (poor choice of words tbh), can vary from person to person.

As far as Project Tingler is concerned, it's a parody of modern erotica, done by a well known parody author (Chuck Tingle) who has a history of not going too far. The purpose of his books and thus the game is not to be sexy, it's to be funny. Being slightly sexy might be an amusing side effect, as long as the effect is done in a non pandering, non exploitative way. One could imagine this were a game about lesbian erotica and find it equally as funny - again, if done right.

Everything sexual with everyone is viewed with a social justice-colored lens. Devil's advocate or not, you are viewing this project through a social justice-colored lens. As it was noted, the issue with sexualization of women is that it happens too often, not that it happens at all. So when it happens, yes, people are going to be skeptical of the media and examine it for problematic aspects, because it is more common that problematic aspects will be present in media that sexualizes women than media that sexualizes men.

Ravidrath

Why is it okay to sexualize men for a video game and not women? Is it because this is aimed at a built in gay audience and sexualizing men and women is ok in that community?

As someone else noted, there's a line between sexualization and exploitation. Many argue that the sexualization of women in most games is exploitative.

Also, I'm not sure that Chuck Tingle has ever actually sexualized a man.

He has, however, sexualized:

Helicopter Men
Space Raptors
Handsome Sentient Food
T-Rex Law Firm Executives
Disincorporated Butts
The Concept of Linear Time
The Economic Implications of Leaving the European Union
Unicorns
President Domald Loch Ness Tromp
Hugo Award Nominations
Monday
Billionaire Triceratops
Handsome Living Corn
Bigfoot
Hugo Award Loss
Living Billionaire Jet Planes
Dinosaur Magicians Pinn and Tucker
Inclusive Holiday Coffee Cups
Handsome Living White House
Living Leftover Chocolate Chip Cookies
Vampire Night Bus
Frankenstein
Gaygent Brontosaurus
Fear of Latent Gayness Over a Dinosaur Transitioning into a Unicorn
Living Donuts
Reaction to the Book's Title
Chocolate Milk Cowboys
Irrational Bigoted Fear of Humans Who Were Born As Unicorns Using a Human Restroom
Dinosaur Social Media Followers
Living Biker Trains
The Color Changing Dress
Leonardo DeCaprico's Oscar
The State of California
Handsome Ghost Boats
Various Meta-levels of Books about being pounded in the Butt by their own Butt​

I might've missed a few, but I think you get the idea.

rubes7844

Banned
People complain about tossing $5 for a preorder but they'll throw money at this? Man, this doesn't look remotely fun at all.

T.O.P

Banned
People complain about tossing $5 for a preorder but they'll throw money at this? Man, this doesn't look remotely fun at all.

This is exactly what "fun" means to me

Things in butts

27c599e29e130b36ab4f1mcjhw.gif

Accoun

People are more inclined to give money to niche stuff. Especially if it's not something that looks like it would be possible through traditional/mainstream ways.

So far, this has $46k out of a $69k goal. I would expect it cross the goal at some point in the last week, but considering that this is Zoe Quinn's grand return to videogame developement after Gamergate, I am kinda surprised that this hasn't taken off and made Tropes Vs Women money.

So far, this has $46k out of a $69k goal. I would expect it cross the goal at some point in the last week, but considering that this is Zoe Quinn's grand return to videogame developement after Gamergate, I am kinda surprised that this hasn't taken off and made Tropes Vs Women money.
I think it's just the uhh unusual subject matter most people would have backed on Kickstarter.
That and I don't know how much press coverage ye has been chasing too.

Toxi

Banned
So far, this has $46k out of a $69k goal. I would expect it cross the goal at some point in the last week, but considering that this is Zoe Quinn's grand return to videogame developement after Groangelato, I am kinda surprised that this hasn't taken off and made Tropes Vs Women money.
It's a gay FMV dating sim written by the guy who brought us Space Raptor Butt Invasion.

I'm actually surprised this will probably make its goal.

Top Bottom