• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter Thread -2013 Edition- List of gaming Kickstarts & other related projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fisico

Homesick has already completed funding and still has three weeks to go btw.

Thanks for sharing Artizens, i'm not fond of the aesthetic at all, but it does have some appeal

Rafy

Spine has been funded and still has about 3 weeks to go!
I am planning to pledge 30$ to use it in my first game, the other similar tool for unity
costs like 100 bucks and I can't afford that much but this is godsend!

Added to OP.

This Kickstarter might be shady.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/exatogames/day-one-garrys-incident-0/

Launched yesterday, got 6 backers. Only 225$. Today ? Only 26 backers. But 26,510$ ! Two people pledge 10,000$ ! Two others pledge 3,000$.

Added also, despite the shadiness of this one...

I also included these two:

deathball.png

- Port Torque 3D to Linux (Ends February 3rd 2013) Linux Port of Torque 3D Ongoing.

Shame I didn't know about this one sooner, but GarageGames wants to port their game Torque 3D to Linux. This ends on Feb 3rd. Pledge 25 bucks and they will also throw in a free copy of Frozen Synapse.

209caa824837928a4f26709cc9f7f26e_large.jpg

- Vendeta Online (Ends February 24th 2013) Enhanced iPad Version Of An Existing Space MMORPG Ongoing.

This game has actually been out for years on other platforms. But the Vendetta team wants to port an enhanced version to iPAD. Apparently some of the enhancements they plan on adding will also make their way into the other current versions of the game too.

These were posted in the older Kickstarter thread, so I will add them to the OP here as well:

Asylum, Kickstarter from Senscape.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/agustincordes/asylum-kickstart-the-horror?ref=live

A psychological horror adventure inspired by H. P. Lovecraft set in a massive, decaying mental institute. By the designer of Scratches.

Myst style adventure horror game which takes place in an Asylum.

http://www.senscape.net/asylum/

They are looking for $100,666.

Something a bit different - a 'Gamers Paradise' gaming desk: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/155163930/gamers-paradise-gaming-desk-a-new-way-to-play/

I love the concept, but there are so many design flaws:

• Power outlets on the desk itself - one knocked over drink and the entire thing is fried
  • No USB 3.0 unless you pay nearly $500 extra
  • Not wide enough for 3 monitors (this is a premium-priced desk for serious gamers, the type of gamers who might well have 3 monitors)
  • Chassis holder won't fit all case sizes and will be a pain in the ass if you need to tinker
  • Monitor plugs into the desk, then on the underside it goes from the desk to the PC, so now you need 2 HDMI cables instead of one
  • No surge protection
  • Poor headphone jack placement
  • Terrible stretch goals - +$40k for a plexiglass headphone stand?!

That's what I got from just watching the video and reading the page... Yikes

Cronee

Here's a kickstarter that someone might be interested in. Pixel Kingdom is one of those side scrolling defense games similar to Cartoon Wars on Android. It's going to be on PC, Mac, iOS, and Android. The mobile versions of the game will be free with IAP's. If the $5,000 goal is met (its at $4920 as of this posting) it will also be on Linux. He's got nine days left and $80 to go.

Pixel Kingdom

• Infinite Levels - Yeah I know right it's crazy! The game will never end. You will always be able to go to the next level and constantly upgrade your units! Gameplay will become harder as you progress and you will face stronger types of enemies.
  • A large variety of Units - You are free to mix and match to unravel which units work well with one another!
  • Tons of unlockables - Unlock new gear as you progress in levels and collect gold. Want all of your knights to have flaming swords? You got it.
  • Achievements - Well duh everyone loves achievements.
  • Secret Items - Monsters have a chance to drop rare items! Perhaps you may get lucky and acquire one of the Seven Sacred Rings that provide a permanent buff such as bonus damage, mana, gold, etc.
  • Exciting Environments - Fend off a horde of Goblins on the grassy plains! Survive an onslaught of Spiders in a dark cave! Take part in a castle siege and slay any foes that dare to cross your path!
  • Awesome Art Style - You can probably tell I am a huge fan of pixel art. What inspires me is the amount of detail people can create with such little space to work with. This is what I live by and strive to make my pixel art better every day!

r1chard

Death Inc. is from some ex-Media Molecule folk. Cool art style and interesting control mechanic, but I'm not convinced there's a hell of a lot of gameplay to it.

46808f990f4e4d0dc3126609bd62fccc_large.jpg

Added these Three to the OP:

Here's a kickstarter that someone might be interested in. Pixel Kingdom is one of those side scrolling defense games similar to Cartoon Wars on Android. It's going to be on PC, Mac, iOS, and Android. The mobile versions of the game will be free with IAP's. If the $5,000 goal is met (its at $4920 as of this posting) it will also be on Linux. He's got nine days left and $80 to go.

Pixel Kingdom

Death Inc. is from some ex-Media Molecule folk. Cool art style and interesting control mechanic, but I'm not convinced there's a hell of a lot of gameplay to it.

46808f990f4e4d0dc3126609bd62fccc_large.jpg
Posted in the wrong kickstarter thread ._.

Moonbot Studios posted their Kickstarter for their new game The Golem.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1320581435/moonbot-studios-next-game-the-golem

They won an oscar for The Fantastic Flying Books of Morris Lessmore, worth keeping an eye on. No mention of systems it is coming to and I'm not a fan of purposefully unfluid controls a la QWOP and octodad, but the studio gives it some promise.

Also this one was added too:

7600466c4eaf6c8d34559a1f9138a97f_large.png

- WORLDS OF WANDER plus "Secret Spaceship Club" Game! (Ends March 1st 2013 | Thread) 2D Platform Development Tools + Game Developed By Tom Hall. Ongoing.

These two completed funding:

- Akaneiro: Demon Hunters by American McGee ($204,680 | Thread)
- Neocolonialism ($11,049)

And these ones were unsuccessful:

- Port Torque 3D to Linux (Ends February 3rd 2013) Unsuccessful
- PerfectGolf (Ends February 4th 2013) Unsuccessful

Azih

Seems really sad that Unwritten isn't getting more traction. Sounds like a lovely game in every way.

Corto

I'm also backing At the gates. I really like to read/listen Shafer opinions on strategy games and think that he really has something original to bring to the table. The seasons, the supply nodes and the asymmetry are what intrigue me the most in this project. Really hope that they reach the goal and then some.

is there a thread for non gaming kickstarters?

I don't look in the off topic forum enough to know, but I'm pretty sure there isn't.

Phosphor Games have opened a Kickstarter to finish their game Awakened. A customizable superhero, open world game. Was called Hero long ago in leaked videos that came out after Midway went bankrupt.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1312036782/project-awakened?ref=activity

Thanks, I was meaning to add this to my last update, but for some reason I forgot about it. Added Jon Shafer's At the Gates to the OP too, as well as:

1f47da1eaf3375a29b286d90365c36db_large.jpg

- Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey (Ends March 10th 2013 | Thread) 3D Point and Click Adventure Game Ongoing.

Added this to successfully funded:
- Vacant Sky: Awakening - A Pre-Apocalyptic RPG ($14,454)

And this one was unsuccessful:
- Brave Bit (Ends February 6th 2013) Unsuccessful

zkylon

zkylewd
Very nice about Dreamfall, I could never get into The Longest Journey but for some reason it just makes me happy they're making new games in that series.

disap.ed

Anybody else on mainland Europe having problems with british kickstarters?
Always declining my credit cards (didn't work with Elite and doesn't work with the 90's Arcade Racer), the Amazon Payments (with the same credit card) for the american projects work fine.

Frogacuda

Banned
The New York Times ran a pretty good editorial about Kickstarter that sums up my feelings.

I've gotten into debates with a few people who just see Kickstarter as a pre-order market, and I think that it just isn't. It's really fueled by people's goodwill towards creators, and contributions are a gift, not a purchase.

But that's what's awesome about it too, and that's why it works. People have a belief in the creator and creation and want to see it happen. If and when people start to just treat it like a pre-order, I think it goes away, because there are better, safer ways to pre-order a game. But as a way to democratize game development and create new opportunities, it's great.

Frogacuda

Banned
You know what's missing a kickstarter? No One Lives Forever. I wonder that the status of that IP is...

The status of that IP is that it and its developer are owned by Warner Bros who would rather they make movie-licensed stuff. Hoped of Kickstarter=Zero.

Same problem with Star Control. It makes a lot of sense but they're owned by the Evil Empire.

gabbo

The status of that IP is that it and its developer are owned by Warner Bros who would rather they make movie-licensed stuff. Hoped of Kickstarter=Zero.

Same problem with Star Control. It makes a lot of sense but they're owned by the Evil Empire.

The IP is in limbo at best, I don't think Warner has any say in the matter

Seems really sad that Unwritten isn't getting more traction. Sounds like a lovely game in every way.

Less then two days to get those final $20 000. They can still do it. Anyone interested in original strategy games should at least have a look at the Unwritten kickstarter.

Purkake4

Banned

Well, Star Control is freeware under a different name, but same content, so that's not really a problem.

I guess it wouldn't be too hard to make a Faux-NOLF if they got the same core team going. Spy parody is spy parody.

Genki

In a utopian world they make an Archer game instead.

Posted in the wrong kickstarter thread ._.

Moonbot Studios posted their Kickstarter for their new game The Golem.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1320581435/moonbot-studios-next-game-the-golem

They won an oscar for The Fantastic Flying Books of Morris Lessmore, worth keeping an eye on. No mention of systems it is coming to and I'm not a fan of purposefully unfluid controls a la QWOP and octodad, but the studio gives it some promise.

wow this sounds SO awesome. somebody really should make an extra thread for this!
also thanks for this thread, I did not even know there is so much stuff going on at kickstarter so it's really nice to have an overview

epmode

DiscoJer

Here's an interesting one, except perhaps the choice of platforms

Delver's Drop for ioS, Android, and PC/Mac

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pixelscopic/delvers-drop

66d1714a3df77e3e45173f8f379e2903_large.png

Sort of like a combination of Zelda and a Rogue-like. Really colorful.

Though one of their stretch goals ($240,000) is porting it to a console or handheld (something like this would neat for the Vita, though probably more suitable for the 3DS's demographics)

Frogacuda

Banned
A lot of legendary old-school animators have been turning to KS, and now Ralph Bakshi is joining in. After years of false starts, he's trying to get funding for Last Days of Coney Island.

Not gaming-related, of course, but it's Ralph goddamn Bakshi, so...

A lot of legendary old-school animators have been turning to KS, and now Ralph Bakshi is joining in. After years of false starts, he's trying to get funding for Last Days of Coney Island.

Not gaming-related, of course, but it's Ralph goddamn Bakshi, so...

That's pretty cool. I love Ralph Bakshi's work. John K also had a pretty successful Kickstarter not long ago too. Not really going to add this to the OP though as I don't want to deviate from gaming only related Kickstarters (as much as I would want to).

Here's an interesting one, except perhaps the choice of platforms

Delver's Drop for ioS, Android, and PC/Mac

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pixelscopic/delvers-drop

Sort of like a combination of Zelda and a Rogue-like. Really colorful.

Though one of their stretch goals ($240,000) is porting it to a console or handheld (something like this would neat for the Vita, though probably more suitable for the 3DS's demographics)

Added to the OP, thanks. I also moved Pixel Kingdoms and Sneaky Bastards to the successfully funded section and I moved Metacell to the unsuccessful projects.

DiscoJer

Here's one for the Ouya (and PC/Mac/Android), but one of the finalists in the recent Ouya competition

Whispering Willows
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/daevo/whispering-willows-horror-puzzle-game-for-ouya-and

http://nightlightinteractive.com/

3ef25ce23a6620c0b99f6832ee4e39ae_large.jpg

Whispering Willows is a horror puzzle game that features a deep, dark narrative, beautiful 2-D visuals, and haunting melodies that will leave you yearning for more. The emotional story will be told over five riveting chapters, each more intriguing than the next. The story will immerse you in a rich history steeped in the depths of the human soul as you solve the mysteries of wayward spirits.

You will assume the role of a young girl named Elena as she searches for her missing father against all odds, working through puzzles and bypassing obstacles. She must harness the powers of her heritage, utilizing astral projection and other ethereal abilities to find him before it's too late.

Pretty neat, sort of a 2d platformer in how you move around and interact with stuff, but has some adventure game elements. And she can astrally project

Feep

Banned
Yo, GAF!

I'm launching a Kickstarter project in a couple days, and I'd like about ten of you guys to give me some feedback. Ideally, you:

1) Like me
2) Are bored
3) Are extremely honest
4) Have a lot of experience with gaming Kickstarter projects, and understand what facets help to make a successful project, and
5) CAN KEEP A SECRET. Seriously, it would actually cause significant damage if word were to get out before Friday, so it's really, really important you don't tell anyone. Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease.

If you'd like to take a look and offer some advice, let me know! I'll PM you a link to the Kickstarter preview page.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom